Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:50:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seriously guys, why?  (Read 4895 times)
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 06:53:00 PM

In my opinion, aside from it being incredibly obvious that all these alternative cryptocurrencies are made with the sole intention of making their creators rich (jealous of Satoshi much?), I think you guys should stick with one digital cryptocurrency, max.  Given its relatively short life-span and the number of unresolved problems associated with it, we can't even call Bitcoin a success yet, although I'm sure those who have profited significantly would be quick to call Bitcoin a success.  At least, it's not a success when compared to fiat currency which has its security and economy in tact.

Sometimes I wonder how often the members of this community realize how much they marginalize their selves.  Everyone's clients/miners/exchanges are ridiculously difficult to use for the average person, and if these issues still exist with the Google of digital cryptocurrencies (i.e. Bitcoin), how do you expect these other silly currencies with dumb names to work (town coin?  GTFO)?

I think all these cryptocurrencies give the Bitcoin community a bad name.  I think it perpetuates the 'geekiness' of Bitcoin -- imagine the average joe coming on here and then reading about namecoin, solid coin, IOcoin, selfish coin, nerd coin, haven't-gotten-laid-since-2009-coin...all these currencies give the impression we're all just a bunch of greedy fucks with no long-term vision of communal success.  If people put half as much time into stimulating the Bitcoin economy as they did devilishly programming their own cryptocurrency code, maybe at least one of these currencies would have a shot (again, i.e. Bitcoin).

Quit marginalizing the community.  Bitcoin is the only one that has a shot at mainstream popularity, so quit marginalizing the community with all this nerd crap like alternative cryptocurrencies, the word "troll" (Jesus Christ I hate when people say troll, and grandma does too), ridiculous clients and miners, etc.  People like simplicity. This complexity isn't cool.  It's chilly.  And chilly ain't never been cool.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 07:05:57 PM

Also, if you really think any of these currencies would work better in theory AND could be accepted by the mainstream population, I would love to know why.  But then, of course, if it's solely about theory, I would simply try to one-up you by suggesting that in theory, the lack of any currency is the best option.  In theory, bartering is the best option. 
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 07:09:47 PM

This like complaining that because people have free speech they shouldn't curse all the time. Let them do whatever they want, whatever currencies offer real alternatives will naturally be used, and the ones that don't will get oversold. Not sure what the big deal is or why anyone would care.

Crypto-currency speculation is beautiful. It makes Bitcoin and Namecoin more legitimate.

Also, do you ever wonder if some random miner from 2009 with 400k Bitcoin is ever going to suddenly start selling it? I do. In fact, I wonder if it is happening now, for example. I say let these currencies do their thing, if any one of them survives, then the early adopters will be more widespread than the early days of Bitcoin itself at the very least.
JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 07:13:12 PM

In theory, bartering is the best option. 

lolwut
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 07:17:14 PM

This like complaining that because people have free speech they shouldn't curse all the time. Let them do whatever they want, whatever currencies offer real alternatives will naturally be used, and the ones that don't will get oversold. Not sure what the big deal is or why anyone would care.

Crypto-currency speculation is beautiful. It makes Bitcoin and Namecoin more legitimate.

Also, do you ever wonder if some random miner from 2009 with 400k Bitcoin is ever going to suddenly start selling it? I do. In fact, I wonder if it is happening now, for example. I say let these currencies do their thing, if any one of them survives, then the early adopters will be more widespread than the early days of Bitcoin itself at the very least.

Well, like I said, it was 'my opinion,' and it was opinion suggesting that, like in your example, it would be in the community's best interest not to "curse" so-to-speak.  And you're exactly right, I'm not sure why anyone would care.....at all.

I think it makes Bitcoin less legitimate.  Namecoin makes Bitcoin less legitimate, and it will always be an underground thing (if it makes you money, great, just don't think it'll catch on because there's no way in hell that it will).

Honestly, I wonder why some random miner from 2009 with 400k Bitcoin HASN'T sold everything.  I think he's a fantastically huge idiot if he hasn't done so already.  Seriously...being an early adopter is like finding a million dollars superglued to the sidewalk (gotta do a little thinking to get it off the sidewalk without destroying it, but you're a moron to let it sit there without doing anything about it).

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 07:20:01 PM

In theory, bartering is the best option.  

lolwut

Bartering is both universally and individually ethical, is universally and individually fair, and it emphasizes the value of the process of exchange over the value of the products.  Additionally, not every person understands the Bitcoin client/miner/exchange, and not every person understands the way banks, money, interest, fees, etc. work, but ANY idiot can place a subjective value on something and know whether or not they think they got a fair deal in a trade.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 01:51:46 AM

In my opinion, aside from it being incredibly obvious that all these alternative cryptocurrencies are made with the sole intention of making their creators rich (jealous of Satoshi much?), I think you guys should stick with one digital cryptocurrency, max.  Given its relatively short life-span and the number of unresolved problems associated with it, we can't even call Bitcoin a success yet, although I'm sure those who have profited significantly would be quick to call Bitcoin a success.  At least, it's not a success when compared to fiat currency which has its security and economy in tact.

Sometimes I wonder how often the members of this community realize how much they marginalize their selves.  Everyone's clients/miners/exchanges are ridiculously difficult to use for the average person, and if these issues still exist with the Google of digital cryptocurrencies (i.e. Bitcoin), how do you expect these other silly currencies with dumb names to work (town coin?  GTFO)?

I think all these cryptocurrencies give the Bitcoin community a bad name.  I think it perpetuates the 'geekiness' of Bitcoin -- imagine the average joe coming on here and then reading about namecoin, solid coin, IOcoin, selfish coin, nerd coin, haven't-gotten-laid-since-2009-coin...all these currencies give the impression we're all just a bunch of greedy fucks with no long-term vision of communal success.  If people put half as much time into stimulating the Bitcoin economy as they did devilishly programming their own cryptocurrency code, maybe at least one of these currencies would have a shot (again, i.e. Bitcoin).

Quit marginalizing the community.  Bitcoin is the only one that has a shot at mainstream popularity, so quit marginalizing the community with all this nerd crap like alternative cryptocurrencies, the word "troll" (Jesus Christ I hate when people say troll, and grandma does too), ridiculous clients and miners, etc.  People like simplicity. This complexity isn't cool.  It's chilly.  And chilly ain't never been cool.

You're making the very wrong assumption that people actually give a shit about Bitcoin or crypto-currency in the first place. A very large majority of the people involved in BTC, IXC, IOC, NMC and SC, like myself are here for the profit and nothing more. I will continue to hit every "Crypto- Currency of the Week" coin full force at low difficulty and then sell it like crack to idiots that buy it at Double C's ever adapting exchange!!!!

Looking forward to the next one!

BTC was doomed before it launched, just like any of the crypto-currencies it suffers from NEVER being able to have instant transactions.

Without instant transactions BTC will never become mainstream. It may very well exist as it does now to be a favorite amongst the Drug Dealers, Con Artist and "Geeks". But it a'int ever going to see use by Johnny Q. Public.

Peace,

Well, to be honest, what you said isn't at all far from what I said.  But, I have more hope for mainstream adoption of Bitcoin.  Besides, the instant transaction issue is really only a concern if people are interested in keeping the highest level of anonymity.  I actually don't really get why people think it's necessary  (or even that much better) to have anonymous transactions in all cases.  

All a merchant needs is to link a Bitcoin address to a real life address or a name.  For example, if you order something online, you must put in a shipping address, and this address is linked to a name.  If people keep generating new addresses, then a high level of anonymity can still be retained in general (i.e. it would be hard to link their name to all of their transactions, but specific transactions could be traced back to the person).  Then, a merchant won't have to worry about waiting for 6 confirmations.  They can just go after the guy if the transaction doesn't go through.  The confirmations will only be necessary in larger transactions where waiting an hour simply isn't a big issue (e.g. buying a car, a house, paying rent, depositing or withdrawing from exchanges, etc.).  

Actually, I think we both agree in our belief that the majority of Bitcoin users hope to get rich quick.  But, I simply wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt.  Besides, I bet that for most of them, they spend hours and hours watching the charts or looking at Mt. Gox live only to make $10-$15 a day in trades when they could be out doing real work making a whole lot more money.  Hell, most of them would make far more money working at McDonald's part time.  So, in a way, I'm also trying to point out that they could probably earn a LOT more proportionally long-term if they weren't so focused on the short term.  The real winners in Bitcoin are those who actually make a large business out of it (e.g. Mt. Gox, TradeHill, etc.).  There are solutions to Bitcoin's problems and they aren't that complicated.
JohnDoe

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 01:57:44 AM

Bitcoin is the only one that has a shot at mainstream popularity

Some of us no longer believe that's true as investment and lending will be impossible with Bitcoin, so we are looking into alternatives (a currency with demurrage being the most promising, like Freicoin).
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 01:59:40 AM

Bitcoin is the only one that has a shot at mainstream popularity

Some of us no longer believe that's true as investment and lending will be impossible with Bitcoin, so we are looking into alternatives (a currency with demurrage being the most promising, like Freicoin).

Nobody even knows how to pronounce Freicoin and you expect people to use it?
JohnDoe

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 02:01:34 AM

I don't like that name either, I said a currency like Freicoin.
fm1234

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 02:47:29 AM

posted by the joint:
haven't-gotten-laid-since-2009-coin

Dude, don't out my shit.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:00:53 AM

Rolls off the tongue though, doesn't it?
caston

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 03:21:21 AM

hahahaha so if I mine for haven't gotten laid since 2009 coin what happens if I break the drought do my coins become worthless?

other than that "Seriously guys, why all the forks?" "why?, please stop guys, this is just not cool now, i'm not playing anymore, mum please tell them not to make any more forks waahhh"

bitcoin BTC: 1MikVUu1DauWB33T5diyforbQjTWJ9D4RF
bitcoin cash: 1JdkCGuW4LSgqYiM6QS7zTzAttD9MNAsiK

-updated 3rd December 2017
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:25:11 AM

hahahaha so if I mine for haven't gotten laid since 2009 coin what happens if I break the drought do my coins become worthless?

other than that "Seriously guys, why all the forks?" "why?, please stop guys, this is just not cool now, i'm not playing anymore, mum please tell them not to make any more forks waahhh"

If you break the drought you can exchange them for noodle coin.  But keep in mind the transaction fees are outrageous.
bansal

Activity: 61

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:28:50 AM

In my opinion, aside from it being incredibly obvious that all these alternative cryptocurrencies are made with the sole intention of making their creators rich (jealous of Satoshi much?), I think you guys should stick with one digital cryptocurrency, max.  Given its relatively short life-span and the number of unresolved problems associated with it, we can't even call Bitcoin a success yet, although I'm sure those who have profited significantly would be quick to call Bitcoin a success.  At least, it's not a success when compared to fiat currency which has its security and economy in tact.

Sometimes I wonder how often the members of this community realize how much they marginalize their selves.  Everyone's clients/miners/exchanges are ridiculously difficult to use for the average person, and if these issues still exist with the Google of digital cryptocurrencies (i.e. Bitcoin), how do you expect these other silly currencies with dumb names to work (town coin?  GTFO)?

I think all these cryptocurrencies give the Bitcoin community a bad name.  I think it perpetuates the 'geekiness' of Bitcoin -- imagine the average joe coming on here and then reading about namecoin, solid coin, IOcoin, selfish coin, nerd coin, haven't-gotten-laid-since-2009-coin...all these currencies give the impression we're all just a bunch of greedy fucks with no long-term vision of communal success.  If people put half as much time into stimulating the Bitcoin economy as they did devilishly programming their own cryptocurrency code, maybe at least one of these currencies would have a shot (again, i.e. Bitcoin).

Quit marginalizing the community.  Bitcoin is the only one that has a shot at mainstream popularity, so quit marginalizing the community with all this nerd crap like alternative cryptocurrencies, the word "troll" (Jesus Christ I hate when people say troll, and grandma does too), ridiculous clients and miners, etc.  People like simplicity. This complexity isn't cool.  It's chilly.  And chilly ain't never been cool.

You're making the very wrong assumption that people actually give a shit about Bitcoin or crypto-currency in the first place. A very large majority of the people involved in BTC, IXC, IOC, NMC and SC, like myself are here for the profit and nothing more. I will continue to hit every "Crypto- Currency of the Week" coin full force at low difficulty and then sell it like crack to idiots that buy it at Double C's ever adapting exchange!!!!

BTC was doomed before it launched, just like any of the crypto-currencies it suffers from NEVER being able to have instant transactions.

Without instant transactions BTC will never become mainstream. It may very well exist as it does now to be a favorite amongst the Drug Dealers, Con Artist and "Geeks". But it a'int ever going to see use by Johnny Q. Public.

Peace,

LOL harsh, but mostly true.  I agree the transaction confirmation time is one of the biggest problems with bitcoin, but if you're a merchant it's great for internet transactions.  I can easily wait an hour or more before shipping something out, and I don't have to worry about fraud or other types of chargebacks, so it can have its place.  It is also much easier for international transactions, as outside the US a lot of people don't use credit cards, and other forms of payments (wires, Western Union, etc) are a big hassle.  I don't see walking into a store and using it though for sure, unless the merchant is selling a sandwich or something that he isn't going to lose much sleep over having stolen.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:36:54 AM

Peace,

LOL harsh, but mostly true.  I agree the transaction confirmation time is one of the biggest problems with bitcoin, but if you're a merchant it's great for internet transactions.  I can easily wait an hour or more before shipping something out, and I don't have to worry about fraud or other types of chargebacks, so it can have its place.  It is also much easier for international transactions, as outside the US a lot of people don't use credit cards, and other forms of payments (wires, Western Union, etc) are a big hassle.  I don't see walking into a store and using it though for sure, unless the merchant is selling a sandwich or something that he isn't going to lose much sleep over having stolen.

Like I said.  For every day transactions where you walk into a store and buy something, just give a name too so there's accountability.  Seriously, it's not a big deal if you hand a guy cash/Bitcoins and they know your name.  Everyone gonna be wearing masks too?  It's almost like people want to be anonymous so they can get away with fraud.  If people are honest and fair, lack of anonymity doesn't mean a thing.  You just make more friends.
caston

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 03:37:43 AM

The other thing is I want to see into the idea of mining cryptocurrencies in space with the mining done on satellites that use space based solar power SBSP for an energy source or using a throium reactor on the moon or mars. They might get a lot of stales if they are trying to mine bitcoins on earth so they could start a new block chain and then trade those coins with us for bitcoins. They could even be used to back a fiat currency which we then float on forex markets and kind of start a space based monetary fund using sol as our central bank.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:39:26 AM

The other thing is I want to see into the idea of mining cryptocurrencies in space with the mining done on satellites that use space based solar power SBSP for an energy source or using a throium reactor on the moon or mars. They might get a lot of stales if they are trying to mine bitcoins on earth so they could start a new block chain and then trade those coins with us for bitcoins. They could even be used to back a fiat currency which we then float on forex markets and kind of start a space based monetary fund using sol as our central bank.

I think I'm just going to open a bottled air business.  Want to buy Hawaii air?  New Zealand air?  Stinky Guam air?  I'm your guy. 
bansal

Activity: 61

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:41:47 AM

Peace,

Like I said.  For every day transactions where you walk into a store and buy something, just give a name too so there's accountability.  Seriously, it's not a big deal if you hand a guy cash/Bitcoins and they know your name.  Everyone gonna be wearing masks too?  It's almost like people want to be anonymous so they can get away with fraud.  If people are honest and fair, lack of anonymity doesn't mean a thing.  You just make more friends.

Why don't you actually try running a real business and then say that LOL
caston

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 03:48:18 AM

I think I'm just going to open a bottled air business.  Want to buy Hawaii air?  New Zealand air?  Stinky Guam air?  I'm your guy.  

get me an honest bottle of Martian air and we'll talk

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:49:38 AM

I think I'm just going to open a bottled air business.  Want to buy Hawaii air?  New Zealand air?  Stinky Guam air?  I'm your guy.  

get me an honest bottle of Martian air and we'll talk

Haha how do you know i didn't just suck on the bottle really really hard?
helloworld

Activity: 266

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 04:12:15 AM

Honestly, I wonder why some random miner from 2009 with 400k Bitcoin HASN'T sold everything.  I think he's a fantastically huge idiot if he hasn't done so already.  Seriously...being an early adopter is like finding a million dollars superglued to the sidewalk (gotta do a little thinking to get it off the sidewalk without destroying it, but you're a moron to let it sit there without doing anything about it).

Why would you sell for $4 million if you can potentially sell it for $40 million next year?

Coz you're impatient, and scared.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 04:19:22 AM

Why would you sell for $4 million if you can potentially sell it for $40 million next year?

That's one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time.
ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 04:31:30 AM

Simple, anyone mining back then and thinking like that most likely sold at $1.

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
helloworld

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 04:39:05 AM

My question or my answer to it? Perhaps you could answer the question more intelligently then.
indio007

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 04:44:40 AM

Why Bitcoin?
Faster than cash.
Faster and cheaper than Western Union.
Faster and cheaper than Moneygram.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 04:52:11 AM

My question or my answer to it? Perhaps you could answer the question more intelligently then.

Sure.  $4 mil is a guaranteed retirement.  You can buy a wonderful house, a wonderful car, etc. travel anywhere you like, and you already won't have to work a day for the rest of your life.  You will also probably have a couple mil left over.  Investing this in something like a Roth IRA (especially if you're young) will give you the opportunity to have many more millions guaranteed in a decade.  The price of Bitcoin could also go down a lot if someone decides to dump before you do, and then you missed you chance (this is a very likely possibility).  How do I know this is likely?  I would do it in a heartbeat.  That means if I had $4 mil profit in Bitcoins, you better believe I'd dump it ALL and I would have absolutely no guilt for screwing you over if you were the other one with $4 mil in Bitcoins.  I'm sure there are many more lie me.  You could also do the whole retirement thing, and with the $2 mil you have left over, reinvest in Bitcoin if buyers decide to suck up all the coins you dumped.  Need I go on?

Are you interested in a guaranteed retirement now?  Or the potential of a guaranteed retirement later with the risk of losing it?  Seriously, how greedy can you be?  "God I just won a 4 million dollar lotto!  I fucking hate when that happens!"

Edit:  By the way, if you have $4 mil in a savings account at, let's say, an annual interest rate of .05%,  that's 20 grand a year right there for letting it sit while you figure out what the hell to do with it all.
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 04:53:27 AM

Peace,

That's exactly why the world is what is today. A huuuuge shit!

Bitcoin is here to make this world a better place. People who just think in profit no matter what the cost does not deserve to live. They are just suckers. Like vampires of society...

Anyway, each one has its own awareness... You are not wrong in search for profit... But this is some kind of addic... We are all victims of this subculture that we live today.

A new world will born... Soon! A world where there is no money, no hungry people, no profit, no interest, no banks, no govs, no wars, no homeless people... Fully automated... Open source and democratic...

Don't live only for profit. This looks like a religion! Uuuurgh!!

Best!
Thiago
indio007

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 05:05:14 AM

Why Bitcoin?
Faster than cash.
Faster and cheaper than Western Union.
Faster and cheaper than Moneygram.

Not true.

I want to see you send $100 via BTC to the USA and have someone pick it up in USD Cash at the local grocery store in minutes after it was sent.

With BTC,

Send BTC, Recieve BTC, Send to Exchange, Recieve at Exchange, Sell BTC (hoping you don't get Goxed), withdraw USD via Dwolla/Paxum to Bank and finally into USD you can get across a counter.

I fail to see the speed advantage?Huh Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

Western Union can take up to an hour. On the phone costumer service tells you to wait 20 minutes but it usually takes longer. What does time frame does Western Union Guarantee... None.
In Minutes Money Transfer Service

Restrictions
Funds may be delayed or services unavailable based on certain transaction conditions, including amount sent, destination, country, currency availability, regulatory issues, identification requirements, Agent location hours, differences in time zones, or selection of delayed options. For Internet and Telephone Services you must use a credit or debit card issued by a U.S. bank. Qualifying PIN-based debit cards are accepted at participating Agent locations. A card issuer cash advance fee may apply.

We are talking bitcoin vs other electronic service aren't we?

You attempting to compare apples to oranges. Transferring currency versus transferring currency then exchanging it for a different currency.
We don't want USD at all.
helloworld

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 05:23:46 AM

Sure.  $4 mil is a guaranteed retirement.

Edit:  By the way, if you have $4 mil in a savings account at, let's say, an annual interest rate of .05%,  that's 20 grand a year right there for letting it sit while you figure out what the hell to do with it all.

The thought of completely retiring on a mere $4m is downright horrible to me. I'd feel like I'd completely 'given up'.

I guess people just have different expectations, but if I only made 20k per year in interest I'd feel like a loser who didn't really even try to make it big.

$40m is getting there, but really total RETIREMENT? Depends how you value time/money now I suppose.

$4m doesn't even pay for half a jet.
caston

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 07:06:36 AM

The thought of completely retiring on a mere $4m is downright horrible to me. I'd feel like I'd completely 'given up'.

I guess people just have different expectations, but if I only made 20k per year in interest I'd feel like a loser who didn't really even try to make it big.

$40m is getting there, but really total RETIREMENT? Depends how you value time/money now I suppose.

I think we've gone off topic here. BTW it's only fiat money. I hope to avoid retirement by avoiding aging. Project In Utero is going to be my plan.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 11:09:31 AM

Edit:  By the way, if you have $4 mil in a savings account at, let's say, an annual interest rate of .05%,  that's 20 grand a year right there for letting it sit while you figure out what the hell to do with it all.

Dude, you sound like a total piece of shit.  If I was a 3rd world country, I'd kick your ass.
helloworld

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 11:48:22 AM

Dude, you sound like a total piece of shit.  If I was a 3rd world country, I'd kick your ass.

Hehe I'm glad there are people like you who have such small dreams and have such a low expectation of what they can achieve in their lives... makes things a hell of a lot easier for me.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 11:53:26 AM

I agree with the OP. Bitcoin is an open-source project. Bitcoin can be changed in many ways, if they are good enough ideas, and if a consensus  is reached by a majority of users. These Daddy-wait-up-you're-walking-too-fast copy-cats may or may not have some interesting merits, but they are against the spirit of the bitcoin project itself. There needs to be more organization in development of bitcoin itself so these cheap knock-offs just go away.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 04:45:53 PM

Dude, you sound like a total piece of shit.  If I was a 3rd world country, I'd kick your ass.

Hehe I'm glad there are people like you who have such small dreams and have such a low expectation of what they can achieve in their lives... makes things a hell of a lot easier for me.

Dude, you really need to learn the difference between intrinsic and extrinsic benefit.  My gut feeling is that you really have no idea what happiness is or how to achieve it.  I also have a feeling I already am and will always be richer than you, so long as you hold that mentality.
sd

Activity: 730

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 06:02:08 PM

I'm ignoring the parasitic and sociopathic rantings and going back to the topic.

We should focus on improving the bitcoin client so the non-geek population can use it. I suggest strong encryption of wallet.dat as a start as there are already trojans in the wild that steal this file. Also some very easy way to make encrypted wallet backups should be provided. Encrypting the wallet isn't as easy as it sounds as you have to protect from keyboard sniffers as well as rouge programs with filesystem access.

We could also use some easy way to handle bitcoin addresses. It would be really nice if I could send BTC to a name I can actually remember and write down. I suggest storing these addresses in DNS ( using DNSSEC for security ) so we could use addresses like sd.name.bit or sd.mycompany.com instead of the awkward internal addresses we use now.

We also need unitex or something like it to allow people to change local currency to BTC and back again quickly and hopefully cheaply. BTC won't really be mainstream until it can be conveniently converted to other things.

There are already have a number of sites offering products and services for BTC. These will develop and mature over time bringing more people into BTC.

ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 07:36:16 PM

I'm ignoring the parasitic and sociopathic rantings and going back to the topic.

We should focus on improving the bitcoin client so the non-geek population can use it. I suggest strong encryption of wallet.dat as a start as there are already trojans in the wild that steal this file. Also some very easy way to make encrypted wallet backups should be provided. Encrypting the wallet isn't as easy as it sounds as you have to protect from keyboard sniffers as well as rouge programs with filesystem access.

We could also use some easy way to handle bitcoin addresses. It would be really nice if I could send BTC to a name I can actually remember and write down. I suggest storing these addresses in DNS ( using DNSSEC for security ) so we could use addresses like sd.name.bit or sd.mycompany.com instead of the awkward internal addresses we use now.

We also need unitex or something like it to allow people to change local currency to BTC and back again quickly and hopefully cheaply. BTC won't really be mainstream until it can be conveniently converted to other things.

There are already have a number of sites offering products and services for BTC. These will develop and mature over time bringing more people into BTC.

Agree! Bitcoin 1.0 can be much better!
And Bitcoin 2.0 will be awesome!

If we talk less and do more.
Are-you-a-wizard?

Activity: 98

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 09:23:41 PM

While we're at it, Europe, China, Japan, they should all take USD!
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 10:34:53 PM

I agree with this.  Flexcoin already is trying to tackle the Bitcoin Address problem (e.g. send BTC to "coffeeshop"), but, unfortunately, I don't yet trust ANY online Bitcoin service with holding my money for any long period of time.  For me, TradeHill is as close as it gets yet I still have paranoia in the back of my mind of losing it all.  It's a big problem to me when the terms of service imply that they are under no liability to owe you anything should their site say, 'happen' to go down, or 'happen' to be hacked.
helloworld

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 10:49:11 PM

I also have a feeling I already am and will always be richer than you, so long as you hold that mentality.

Heh that's what poor people always say Cheesy

Good luck.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 10:56:17 PM

I also have a feeling I already am and will always be richer than you, so long as you hold that mentality.

Good luck.

Back atcha, considering your decision would depend entirely on market luck.  Send me a BTC address and I'll donate to you, if it's that important to you.
helloworld

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 11:01:45 PM

Good luck.

Back atcha, considering your decision would depend entirely on market luck.  Send me a BTC address and I'll donate to you, if it's that important to you.

14Z1mazY4HfysZyMaKudFr63EwHqQT2njz
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 11:03:40 PM

Good luck.

Sent.  Now go fuck yourself.
helloworld

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 11:08:10 PM

Sent.  Now go fuck yourself.

LOL. http://www.bitcoinmonitor.com
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 11:56:36 PM

Aaaaand, the truth comes out. You live in your parents house, and have never had a real job. You have no fucking clue how much four million dollars is because you have watched too much TV and your brain is a mashed up pile of burning suburban garbage. You will graduate from high school in nine months and your rich white parents will give you a Jetta and pay for you to go on a backpacking trip to Europe. While there, you will get drunk and act like an obnoxious rich white kid in some dirty bar that your hipster friends drag you to because 'it's so real', oblivious to who is around you. This precipitates a brawl, which inevitably ends with you being raped in an alley. Despite the trauma, you fail to link actions to consequences and continue about your life, dumb as ever but walking a little bowlegged. You go to college, where no one likes you and major in Economics, going on to sell used BMWs. You die cold and alone.

Me? I would sell four four mil in a fucking heartbeat. A bird in the hand is worth 400,000 bitcoin in the bush.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 11:58:44 PM

Aaaaand, the truth comes out. You live in your parents house, and have never had a real job. You have no fucking clue how much four million dollars is because you have watched too much TV and your brain is a mashed up pile of burning suburban garbage. You will graduate from high school in nine months and your rich white parents will give you a Jetta and pay for you to go on a backpacking trip to Europe. While there, you will get drunk and act like an obnoxious rich white kid in some dirty bar that your hipster friends drag you to because 'it's so real', oblivious to who is around you. This precipitates a brawl, which inevitably ends with you being raped in an alley. Despite the trauma, you fail to link actions to consequences and continue about your life, dumb as ever but walking a little bowlegged. You go to college, where no one likes you and major in Economics, going on to sell used BMWs. You die cold and alone.

Me? I would sell four four mil in a fucking heartbeat. A bird in the hand is worth 400,000 bitcoin in the bush.
Me too.  And I'd dump half of it into real estate right now.
helloworld

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 12:07:18 AM

Not at all. I come from a very poor family. My mum is bankrupt and my dad struggles from week to week. I barely make the mortgage payments each month.

Just because I sympathize more with the rich, doesn't mean I'm rich (yet).

I just have bigger ambitions that most, and $4m doesn't cut it, sorry.

I'd rather take a chance at $40m knowing I took a chance, and didn't cut and run when it got a bit scary, even if that means I never even make 4.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 01:34:12 AM
Last edit: September 09, 2011, 02:58:29 AM by Maged

Not at all. I come from a very poor family. My mum is bankrupt and my dad struggles from week to week. I barely make the mortgage payments each month.

I'd rather take a chance at $40m knowing I took a chance, and didn't cut and run when it got a bit scary, even if that means I never even make 4.
"Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires." John Steinbeck

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 01:45:55 AM

Flexcoin already is trying to tackle the Bitcoin Address problem (e.g. send BTC to "coffeeshop"), but, unfortunately, I don't yet trust ANY online Bitcoin service with holding my money for any long period of time.

Best way to do this is using Namecoin to map names to bitcoin addresses, but I'm guessing more development will be needed for this to work seamlessly.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 01:47:59 AM

Flexcoin already is trying to tackle the Bitcoin Address problem (e.g. send BTC to "coffeeshop"), but, unfortunately, I don't yet trust ANY online Bitcoin service with holding my money for any long period of time.

Best way to do this is using Namecoin to map names to bitcoin addresses, but I'm guessing more development will be needed for this to work seamlessly.

Afaik, no

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
RandyFolds

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 02:00:07 AM

"Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires." John Steinbeck

Quotefail, but +1. Awesome quote.
memvola

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 02:10:36 AM

Afaik, no
Well, current barrier is having to install Namecoin on the sender's side. An additional protocol for querying open Namecoin nodes would be needed to make it widely available I guess...
sd

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 07:30:48 AM

I agree with this.  Flexcoin already is trying to tackle the Bitcoin Address problem (e.g. send BTC to "coffeeshop"), but, unfortunately, I don't yet trust ANY online Bitcoin service with holding my money for any long period of time.  For me, TradeHill is as close as it gets yet I still have paranoia in the back of my mind of losing it all.  It's a big problem to me when the terms of service imply that they are under no liability to owe you anything should their site say, 'happen' to go down, or 'happen' to be hacked.

Flexcoin is trying to fix the address issue the wrong way, they want to control the namespace. With DNS everyone controls their own namespace which they can manage themselves or delegate to a trusted DNS provider. I think piggybacking the addresses onto DNS is the right thing to do as DNS is already used everywhere.

Like you say I'd not trust flexcoin to handle my addresses or hold my coins unless they can prove they have everything insured. And maybe not even then. Bitcoin is meant to be peer-to-peer, centralizing large parts of only makes it prone to attack.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 07:33:24 AM

...Wow dude.  I think you've blown my mind.  Do you like being this stupid?
sd

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 07:45:18 AM

Afaik, no
Well, current barrier is having to install Namecoin on the sender's side. An additional protocol for querying open Namecoin nodes would be needed to make it widely available I guess...

It would take very little development to store bitcoin addresses in DNS. That way you could store them in namecoin's .bit domain or the existing ones like .com, .co.uk, etc.. The clients would be able to resolve namecoin addresses or the current generic or country code addresses if setup right. Everyone who has an internet site already has DNS setup so it seems sensible to reuse this. Using DNS in this way has already been proven for SPF mail filtering and people have been adding text records to their DNS since DNS was invented.

The problem being that not all DNS uses DNSSEC, the latest and greatest crypto protected DNS yet. Without this some attacks are technically possible under certain conditions. The world is moving to DNSSEC for other reasons so that problem is slowly going away.
helloworld

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 12:40:29 PM

I come from a very poor family. My mum is bankrupt and my dad struggles from week to week. I barely make the mortgage payments each month.

...Wow dude.  I think you've blown my mind.  Do you like being this stupid?

I love it.
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 02:16:13 PM
Last edit: August 24, 2011, 06:04:23 PM by jtimon

Of course, germans know how to pronounce it. It is pronounced similarly in spanish. I didn't even thought about that.
For english people, the 'ei' part would be pronounced as an 'a'
The phonetic transcription is eɪ. Examples of the pronunciation: say, eight

If the name is really a problem, it can be changed. But I think that the benefits of demurrage are harder to understand. People often don't even see the disadvantages of a central bank. So yes, I advocate for bitcoin every chance I got. And for Gold and silver, I just think they're flawed moneys, even if they're much better than dollars and euros.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
memvola

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 05:05:39 PM

The problem being that not all DNS uses DNSSEC, the latest and greatest crypto protected DNS yet. Without this some attacks are technically possible under certain conditions. The world is moving to DNSSEC for other reasons so that problem is slowly going away.

I agree that DNS makes sense. DNSSEC and maybe other methods (?) may be used. What I was trying to assert is that Namecoin is the best way to do it, more as a side note for Namecoin development than solving the problem at hand. For instance, you wouldn't need the security stuff in the case of a local Namecoin installation, it could even be coupled with the Bitcoin distro if the blockchain size weren't a concern. So anyway, I haven't checked the state of Namecoin for a couple of months, it's probably time to dive back in and help with these.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 05:57:15 PM

Since you still have a mum and dad, I am going to assume you are 35 or younger.  Maybe that's a wrong assumption, but I'll go with it unless you tell me otherwise.

So, take the $4M, invest it in some good mutual funds with an average yield of 12% (yes, it is very doable), and you'll have $43M in 20 years.

Even if your investments didn't do as well as 12%, I can guarantee you (and your mum and dad) would be a heck of a lot better off with $4M than bankrupt and struggling to pay the bills every month.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 06:22:39 PM

I come from a very poor family. My mum is bankrupt and my dad struggles from week to week. I barely make the mortgage payments each month.

...Wow dude.  I think you've blown my mind.  Do you like being this stupid?

I love it.

Sucks wishing for things you don't have, doesn't it?  I suggest you reconsider how far your thinking has actually gotten you financially...

Sympathizing more with the rich?  Do you truly hate your parents or something?
sd

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 08:28:54 PM

You are arguing with a sociopath. He is not going to change so you might as well ignore him.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 10:36:15 PM

You are arguing with a sociopath. He is not going to change so you might as well ignore him.

Word.
helloworld

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 12:59:12 AM

I love it.

Sucks wishing for things you don't have, doesn't it?  I suggest you reconsider how far your thinking has actually gotten you financially...

It doesn't suck at all, it's called goal setting. And it's gotten me very far since I actually have a house to live in now, instead of a cardboard box. Next step, bigger house.
RandyFolds

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 01:11:32 AM

I love it.

When I grow up, I'm gonna have a spaceship, and a castle, and a horse, and a boat, and a fighter jet, and a ferrari, and a blond wife with fake tits, and a jetski, and no one is gonna tell me what to do.

It doesn't suck at all, it's called goal setting. And it's gotten me very far since I actually have a house to live in now, instead of a cardboard box. Next step, bigger house.

hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 01:51:39 AM

Why would you buy a 50$ on a 250 GB hard drive when it will get you a TB next year? 
ama

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 10:17:21 AM

In my opinion, aside from it being incredibly obvious that all these alternative cryptocurrencies are made with the sole intention of making their creators rich (jealous of Satoshi much?), I think you guys should stick with one digital cryptocurrency, max.  Given its relatively short life-span and the number of unresolved problems associated with it, we can't even call Bitcoin a success yet, although I'm sure those who have profited significantly would be quick to call Bitcoin a success.  At least, it's not a success when compared to fiat currency which has its security and economy in tact.

Thank you for your advice of sticking with one virtual currency max.  None is also fine, right?

Seriously, I think we are in a very exciting moment and, instead of enjoying it and learning from all that it's happening, some guys just keep rambling and bashing other people and their ideas.  I think it's good that there are alternatives, whether they are good and they'll survive and get somewhere or they are just a mean for specullation for some time, or even if they serve just as experimentation and learning from their mistakes.  Please enjoy the exciting things that are happening whether you stick to one or more currencies, or none at all and you are mere spectator.

For the moment, I'll enjoy and play with all of them.  Why?  Because I can, I want, and I find it fun!   Grin

Do you agree?  Then, buy me a Bitcoffee, or a Namecoffee, or a Solidcoffee...

Bitcoffee: 18NMyRMSkCjk8FnmdfAuxbuSSET4ASwBL5
Namecoffee: NGipxi4iP1w5RDcnAHRT8SJGLmhuW2UTcU
Solidcoffee: sfM6waFsUoM1NK7aWUoNY1Frv8eXTxekdr
ixcoffee: xrHT3DJ1oTa6Ctfyk4p9RAZYLT23rjNz2a
i0coffe: jSvs637hZTCZBLph3ETPnKL3KXQ9hw9ZhB
amacoffee: aWaitForIt79847589498hr3fh873hf87h3
AnyOtherRandomCoffeeSources: also accepted!

MonkeySlapFest

Activity: 180
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 06:09:41 PM

I also dont agree with where this thread is heading
notlasttrain

Activity: 168

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 07:15:36 PM

I don't like the name. It is similar with one project on the market and I have not good memories about it because I lost my money then
ambeo

Activity: 210

W12 – Blockchain protocol

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 05:33:31 PM

hey, that's interesting suggestion! i agree that people tend to choose the least complicated way with pretty much everything, but they also love to have a choice or at least an illusion of it.

W12.io  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  Blockchain protocol
Built F O R :    ❤ Charity Market    ⚫ ICO    ֆ CROWDFUNDING
[https://tokensale.w12.io/]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: