Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:34:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinCard - Buying Amazon $ and gift cards with Bitcoin  (Read 36601 times)
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

Activity: 447
Merit: 258

View Profile
March 10, 2011, 11:39:16 PM

CoinCard now has an API.  It lets you programmatically place orders for converting your Bitcoins into gift cards or PayPal payments.  See the documentation for more details.

Thanks for suggestions all the suggestions offered above.  I'll add some features and gift cards as time permits.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 03:17:08 PM

A customer sold a large batch of Bitcoins through CoinCard last night but entered an invalid email address for his PayPal account.  Emails to the customer bounce and PayPal reports the payment as unclaimed.  I was curious what happens in this case, so I thought I'd post it here in case others are interested too.

PayPal holds the Mass Pay payment for 30 days.  If it remains unclaimed after that time, the money is refunded to the payer.  Of course, once that happens, I'll resend the payment to the rightful owner, but there's nothing I can do until then.

This highlights one more way in which Bitcoin is superior to other payment methods: one can easily verify that a recipient's address is valid before sending payment.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1190

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 06:44:12 PM

I have an Amazon Prime membership. An Amazon card would be really nice option.

Buy & Hold
theGECK

Activity: 411
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 09:11:49 PM

A customer sold a large batch of Bitcoins through CoinCard last night but entered an invalid email address for his PayPal account.  Emails to the customer bounce and PayPal reports the payment as unclaimed.  I was curious what happens in this case, so I thought I'd post it here in case others are interested too.

PayPal holds the Mass Pay payment for 30 days.  If it remains unclaimed after that time, the money is refunded to the payer.  Of course, once that happens, I'll resend the payment to the rightful owner, but there's nothing I can do until then.

This highlights one more way in which Bitcoin is superior to other payment methods: one can easily verify that a recipient's address is valid before sending payment.

How does one go about verifying that the address is valid?

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 09:35:18 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2011, 10:05:55 PM by mndrix

The Bitcoin JSON API provides the `validateaddress` method which you can use from the command line like this:

Code:
$ bitcoin validateaddress 1J4ymLi5tVSutKQqGqXjM4rTahryKaU171
{
    "isvalid" : true,
    "address" : "1J4ymLi5tVSutKQqGqXjM4rTahryKaU171",
    "ismine" : true,
    "account" : ""
}

Of course, this doesn't prove that the address belongs to anyone in particular Smiley
theGECK

Activity: 411
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 09:42:27 PM

The Bitcoin JSON API provides the `validateaddress` method which you can use from the command line like this:

Code:
$ bitcoin validateaddress 1J4ymLi5tVSutKQqGqXjM4rTahryKaU171
{
    "isvalid" : true,
    "address" : "1J4ymLi5tVSutKQqGqXjM4rTahryKaU171",
    "ismine" : true,
    "account" : ""
}

Of course, this doesn't prove that the belongs to anyone in particular Smiley

Ah, so it isn't something that anybody could easily do to make sure they didn't type in an address that was not valid.

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5152
Merit: 12580

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 10:18:35 PM

Ah, so it isn't something that anybody could easily do to make sure they didn't type in an address that was not valid.

You can use this to do the same thing:
http://blockexplorer.com/q/checkaddress

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 10:36:18 PM

You can use this to do the same thing:
http://blockexplorer.com/q/checkaddress

Yes, anybody can do this, and any halfway decent Bitcoin service will already do it.

This particular case was someone who entered an incorrect PayPal address, not an incorrect Bitcoin address.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 10:06:57 PM

I've updated the API so that it includes error codes along with the error messages.  This should make it easier for your code to handle errors without having to parse English Smiley
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
March 29, 2011, 10:23:40 PM

I've finished preliminary support for buying Newegg gift cards through CoinCard.  The biggest problem is that Newegg takes 24-48 hours to process the gift cards on their side before emailing the gift card code to the buyer.

For those of you interested in Newegg, would you still buy the gift cards even with this delay?
MDKing

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 12:38:12 AM

I've finished preliminary support for buying Newegg gift cards through CoinCard.  The biggest problem is that Newegg takes 24-48 hours to process the gift cards on their side before emailing the gift card code to the buyer.

For those of you interested in Newegg, would you still buy the gift cards even with this delay?

Is there an option for Newegg Canada or is it strictly gift cards for Newegg US?
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2011, 03:03:57 AM

Yes, the delay sucks but cutting out paypal would be great!  I would use the newegg option.

mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 07:59:01 PM

Is there an option for Newegg Canada or is it strictly gift cards for Newegg US?

The cards can only be used for Newegg US.  At least that's what I understand from reading the terms of service on the test cards I've purchased.
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 08:03:59 PM

Response so far has been positive both here and in OTC, so I'll proceed with the final implementation details for Newegg.  Thanks for the feedback!
jkminkov

Activity: 698
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 09:05:14 PM

can I make them ship goods outside US with those cards Smiley

Bleutrade
10,000 dollars in one place talking - Dudes, hooray, Bitcoin against us just one, but we are growing in numbers!
MDKing

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 09:52:52 PM

The cards can only be used for Newegg US.  At least that's what I understand from reading the terms of service on the test cards I've purchased.

Yes that's correct. Even Newegg Canada has a separate Canadian giftcard center available here, https://secure.newegg.ca/GiftCertificate/GiftCardStep1.aspx

Do you think CoinCard could support both US and Canadian cards?
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 10:20:00 PM

Do you think CoinCard could support both US and Canadian cards?

Without looking into it at all, it should be able to support Newegg Canada.  I'll see how popular Newegg US gift cards first.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
April 09, 2011, 06:29:29 AM

Feature request:  "sendmany" for CoinCard.

[Tycho]'s use of coincard's paypal API is pretty neat, and I was thinking of doing something similar.  However, if I have a queue of paypal payments to make, it would be much more useful to send a single, large BTC transaction to coincard, and specify multiple (address, amount) pairs for paypal recipients.

Bonus points if this can be done entirely via JSON  Smiley

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
nster

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2011, 06:30:27 AM

Feature request:  "sendmany" for CoinCard.

[Tycho]'s use of coincard's paypal API is pretty neat, and I was thinking of doing something similar.  However, if I have a queue of paypal payments to make, it would be much more useful to send a single BTC transaction to coincard, and specify multiple (email address, amount) pairs for paypal recipients.

Bonus points if this can be done entirely via JSON  Smiley

off-topic, but when you had 1337 posts, it changed to Leet lol

167q1CHgVjzLCwQwQvJ3tRMUCrjfqvSznd Donations are welcome Smiley Please be kind if I helped
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 03:41:59 PM

Feature request:  "sendmany" for CoinCard.

That's a good idea.  I'll think about how to implement it on my side.  The PayPal API supports it since Mass Pay is designed for creating one transaction that sends to many recipients.

One side effect could be lower PayPal payouts for "sendmany" customers.  Since I determine the exchange rate based on market depth, a large CoinCard order combined with thin Mt Gox bids could produce a lower exchange rate than placing several small orders spaced 15 minutes apart (giving bots time to fill in the order book again).
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: