Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:55:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you be interested in a "gen-wallet"?  (Read 3173 times)
MisterGuacamole (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 07:07:24 PM
Last edit: December 30, 2013, 06:03:10 PM by MisterGuacamole

Hello!
I'm MisterGuacamole, a new user on these forums. You are all really informative and friendly on here, I love it! Wink

I noticed that more and more altcoins are being made, and it's starting to get really hard to manage them on your computer. For example, I presently have 12 different wallets installed, and it's getting confusing. This is where the "gen-wallet", or general wallet, would interviene. It is a simple Qt application made specifically to mimic the Altcoin-Qt wallet behavior, but with a twist: with a system of plugins you can add "slaves-wallets" to the application (which acts as a "master-wallet"). To illustrate, you could add a slave-wallet for Bitcoin, for Litecoin and for Dogecoin. The master-wallet (application) would contain three tabs, one for each Coin.

In each tab you can do as you would with a normal wallet, that is see your transaction history, send coins, receive coins, etc.

There are many other functionalities, but the main goal of this application would obviously be to have:
No more mess. Organized wallets: organized thoughts.

To resume,
  • Master-wallet that keeps organized the multiple slave-wallets
  • Each slave-wallet is a plugin designed for a specific cryptocurrency
  • Designed to keep things simple

I would like your personal input. Would you use something like that? Would you support the developpement or wait until its finished?
It's not just a concept; I have already started developping it. In a week or two I should post a thread on the Dev board of this forum here if there's interest/demand, keep tuned!

Thank you for your time and your replies, keep rocking! Wink

SEE https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=387635.msg4223815#msg4223815

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mikcik

Activity: 742
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 07:22:47 PM

Yeah i would be interested  asked the question here  on forum few days ago (about "universal wallet"). Do it, just make it simple, quicky, easy, secure and small in size, not tech or programming stuff and i think people would even buy it for money.
MisterGuacamole (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 07:24:51 PM

Yeah i would be interested  asked the question here  on forum few days ago (about "universal wallet"). Do it, just make it simple, quicky, easy, secure and small in size, not tech or programming stuff and i think people would even buy it for money.

You seem to have good suggestions, any specific points beside the ones you mentioned you would like to see in a software like this?
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 01:48:21 AM

Hello!
I'm MisterGuacamole, a new user on these forums. You are all really informative and friendly on here, I love it! Wink

I noticed that more and more altcoins are being made, and it's starting to get really hard to manage them on your computer. For example, I presently have 12 different wallets installed, and it's getting confusing. This is where the "gen-wallet", or general wallet, would interviene. It is a simple Qt application made specifically to mimic the Altcoin-Qt wallet behavior, but with a twist: with a system of plugins you can add "slaves-wallets" to the application (which acts as a "master-wallet"). To illustrate, you could add a slave-wallet for Bitcoin, for Litecoin and for Dogecoin. The master-wallet (application) would contain three tabs, one for each Coin.

In each tab you can do as you would with a normal wallet, that is see your transaction history, send coins, receive coins, etc.

There are many other functionalities, but the main goal of this application would obviously be to have:
No more mess. Organized wallets: organized thoughts.

To resume,
  • Master-wallet that keeps organized the multiple slave-wallets
  • Each slave-wallet is a plugin designed for a specific cryptocurrency
  • Designed to keep things simple

I would like your personal input. Would you use something like that? Would you support the developpement or wait until its finished?
It's not just a concept; I have already started developping it. In a week or two I should post a thread on the Dev board of this forum if there's interest/demand, keep tuned!

Thank you for your time and your replies, keep rocking! Wink

That's actually a fantastic idea - a multi-coin wallet.

Only issue for me is because of the gigantic size of the bitcoin blockchain, I don't actually use bitcoin-qt at all, prefer electrum, but the idea could still work, as there are plenty of altcoins out there.

So yes, I would use it (for all altcoins). Just have a list of altcoins and allow people to choose which ones they want to use. Include bitcoin of course Smiley
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 09:45:08 AM

You could look at updating ufasoft

empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 10:28:07 AM

Link?
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 11:04:29 AM

Link?

http://ufasoft.com/coin/

artw1982

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 01:37:13 PM

I'm interested in the idea and the development.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 02:10:54 PM

Gen wallet is a bad name tho. I keep thinking generate and I come here to say vanity gen already does that.

MisterGuacamole (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 04:47:48 PM

That's actually a fantastic idea - a multi-coin wallet.

Only issue for me is because of the gigantic size of the bitcoin blockchain, I don't actually use bitcoin-qt at all, prefer electrum, but the idea could still work, as there are plenty of altcoins out there.

So yes, I would use it (for all altcoins). Just have a list of altcoins and allow people to choose which ones they want to use. Include bitcoin of course Smiley
Notes taken Wink A remote server with the blockchain already downloaded for an "instant-on" is a great idea though.

I'm interested in the idea and the development.
If you are interested in the developpement, PM me with what you would be able to do to contribute!

Gen wallet is a bad name tho. I keep thinking generate and I come here to say vanity gen already does that.
Agreed, I was thinking maybe Uniwallet or something else.
majic

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 04:56:12 PM

This is hard needed. All the wallets are driving me nuts!

I don't know if QT wallets offer some kind of API system where they communicate commands within a system (non-tcp-ip). But then you could think of a proxy-wallet. A virtual wallet that needs the real wallet to function, but just helps in keeping everything manageable.

The reason I suggest this is because often wallets get updated to fix forks or issues like the 1doge minimum fee to prevent flooding the system. Effectively you also relay responsability for loss and hacking etc to the original wallets, not you. It would make development easier, I think, once past the stage where you have to figure out if you can communicate with individual wallets to provide VirtualWallet interface.

Also I think this would make updating existing wallets friendlier - your wallet could check for the latest version and notify a user.

I guess in a way I'm a bit inspired by MultiMiner and GUIminer, the first also notifying you of new updates (and downloading them upon user confirmation - great!).

Edit: Also perhaps running such wallets in a sandbox might be useful to prevent inter-wallet communication (in case of infected wallet download of some new Alt coin - I'm continuously worried about that).

artw1982

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 05:03:22 PM

Guac, if you use Skype add me. artw1982 
MisterGuacamole (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 05:36:11 PM

I don't know if QT wallets offer some kind of API system where they communicate commands within a system (non-tcp-ip). But then you could think of a proxy-wallet. A virtual wallet that needs the real wallet to function, but just helps in keeping everything manageable.

The reason I suggest this is because often wallets get updated to fix forks or issues like the 1doge minimum fee to prevent flooding the system. Effectively you also relay responsability for loss and hacking etc to the original wallets, not you. It would make development easier, I think, once past the stage where you have to figure out if you can communicate with individual wallets to provide VirtualWallet interface.

Also I think this would make updating existing wallets friendlier - your wallet could check for the latest version and notify a user.

I guess in a way I'm a bit inspired by MultiMiner and GUIminer, the first also notifying you of new updates (and downloading them upon user confirmation - great!).

Edit: Also perhaps running such wallets in a sandbox might be useful to prevent inter-wallet communication (in case of infected wallet download of some new Alt coin - I'm continuously worried about that).
The wallet, if I did my research right, does offer some kind of internal API, because the Qt wallet is just a GUI for bitcoind. When you say a "proxy-wallet", what you mean is the Qt wallet for the coin is directly downloaded to a special directory under the main Wallet's, to be used as a remote for manipulating altcoins? So the main Wallet would not hold coins, but would send commands to the right altcoin wallet? Tell me if I'm mistaken.

Will do when I come home.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 05:38:57 PM

There's another guy doing similar, look in my posts for the guy I Pissed off

majic

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:42:34 PM

The wallet, if I did my research right, does offer some kind of internal API, because the Qt wallet is just a GUI for bitcoind. When you say a "proxy-wallet", what you mean is the Qt wallet for the coin is directly downloaded to a special directory under the main Wallet's, to be used as a remote for manipulating altcoins? So the main Wallet would not hold coins, but would send commands to the right altcoin wallet? Tell me if I'm mistaken.

Will do when I come home.

That is exactly what I am thinking of. A 'visual frontend' for altcoins you have.
Basically it would become a 'wallet manager' but with an interface that just makes it 'feel' like your coins are actually in the 'omni-wallet' shell. The software furthermore could work with auto-updating new wallets. Because the application is developed centrally theres a few people in charge of looking for updates to wallets (or they get notified by coin-makers, which is ofc. even better).

I am however also concerned about security and wonder if there is a way to sandbox all wallets (akin to a mini virtual machine). I just don't like the idea that wallets and the rest of my computer can interact.
Furthermore I *really* dislike the idea that wallets can access each others files (they are often in the same directory for management's sake, to make things worse).

Ideally the sandbox is two-way : The wallets can only see and access their OWN subdirectory. And nothing in your system can access the wallets because they are encrypted if the users so wishes (this could be a large button/option with mini why-to).

An other option in the wallet-shell could be to make backups of wallet.dat that are automatically zipped with SHA256 and perhaps uploaded or stored somewhere.

In the end many alt-coin wallets cause these problems that need to be solved:
1) Management of assets (list overall balance sheets)
2) Secure assets
3) Backup assets
MisterGuacamole (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 09:18:13 PM

That is exactly what I am thinking of. A 'visual frontend' for altcoins you have.
Basically it would become a 'wallet manager' but with an interface that just makes it 'feel' like your coins are actually in the 'omni-wallet' shell. The software furthermore could work with auto-updating new wallets. Because the application is developed centrally theres a few people in charge of looking for updates to wallets (or they get notified by coin-makers, which is ofc. even better).

I am however also concerned about security and wonder if there is a way to sandbox all wallets (akin to a mini virtual machine). I just don't like the idea that wallets and the rest of my computer can interact.
Furthermore I *really* dislike the idea that wallets can access each others files (they are often in the same directory for management's sake, to make things worse).

Ideally the sandbox is two-way : The wallets can only see and access their OWN subdirectory. And nothing in your system can access the wallets because they are encrypted if the users so wishes (this could be a large button/option with mini why-to).

An other option in the wallet-shell could be to make backups of wallet.dat that are automatically zipped with SHA256 and perhaps uploaded or stored somewhere.

In the end many alt-coin wallets cause these problems that need to be solved:
1) Management of assets (list overall balance sheets)
2) Secure assets
3) Backup assets

So what you want to see is an application that is able to do this:
  • Sandboxing each wallet in its wallet-shell (I like that term)
  • Encrypt each wallet (but how would the application be able to modify the wallet.dat file?)
  • Auto backups and storage in the cloud
?

In other news, I was thinking about how exactly the omniwallet would be able to manipulate the slave-wallets (and what it would download) since downloading the whole Qt wallet seems exagerated. I thought about downloading only the bitcoind daemon... ideas on what the application should fetch?
artw1982

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 10:39:44 PM

I added you to my skype Guac. I"m working so I may not respond right away, but I will. Let's get this going. I'll provide the cloud backup too.
MisterGuacamole (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 12:43:26 AM

Let's get this going. I'll provide the cloud backup too.

Let's do this!
I'm still searching for what would be the best wallet to fetch. Maybe the omniwallet could fetch "bitcoind", "litecoind" and such.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 03:56:09 AM

Uniwallet is superb name. I don't like Omniwallet fwiw
digit
Legendary

Activity: 1672
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 04:26:44 AM

I would like see a plugin based wallet made if its possible.  Something that would allow new plugins to created by other people to support future coins or electrum like networks that be developed for other coins in future. Plugins could co-exist or share the blockchain data with the official wallet for coin, and the main wallet app would show only the coins that user has added the plugins for.

Stay Safe and use NO KYC exchanges ■ Craig Wright is NOT Satoshi  ■
BTC:1DigitwteXwFcRAaWpVDRp6eKqzC6y9tgm ■ ŁTC:LKMcEHoFWHAUoRscqW1cwjhLgFrk7MgCWU ■ Coinkit:digit ■ §digit
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: