Bitcoin Forum
August 10, 2024, 01:20:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Pools Scam You Out of Your Coins?  (Read 671 times)
Pangia (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 04:02:12 AM
Last edit: January 02, 2014, 04:22:43 AM by Pangia

Hi All,

Thanks for reading this.  Here's my question: I've been mining Dogecoin for the past 2 weeks and have been sending my coins from the pools (doge.poolerino.de & doge.cryptovalley.com) to an exchange that I have an account with.

Here's my deposit address:

DGBPgcSNkEdesZ5Uv8PKFkY37z8v7quLSX

I put it into Dogechain.info and it shows that there were 3 transactions OUT -- totaling 522116 DOGES

Problem is, I never sent Doges out to anyone. Everything was set up so that I would mine and coins would be sent to my address listed here.

How could this be correct if I never sent any coins (especially 522116 DOGES)?

Could the compromise (if there were one) be with the pools that I used? I checked the transactions with the exchange that I have my account with and there are no transactions out. Also the coins that I sent to the same exchange unrelated to my mining rigs are still in the exchanges account, nice and secure.

I don't know much about mining or how pools work. Could someone please tell me what might have happened?  Is it possible that I might have been scammed by a pool? or is it the "ORPHANS" showing up?

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
manobra

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:00:05 AM

It appear that your computer(s) is compromised.

Trojan horses can watch each step u do in your computer.

Websites visited, keys pressed (including user names and pass).

NEVER use an EXE file (miners, etc..) that someone sent without The source code.

Try to use only that miners indicated by the original thread.

Happy new year!
Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:02:02 AM

Either the pool is the problem, or you have some sort of Keylogger/trojan on your PC and they know your pin to change your deposit address on the pool.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
mattle74

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:05:41 AM

If you named the pools, I think you also need to name the exchange because that seems to be the point of issue. Are you saying that you are missing that many coins on the exchange or are you just going by what you're seeing on the block explorer? You're talking about a deposit address at an exchange which doesn't necessarily function like a wallet on your personal computer.

For example... I just made 2 transfers tonight to Cryptsy to my IFC deposit address. If I look up the address on the block chain, it shows 2 transactions in and 2 transactions out with an ending balance of 0. But the coins are still on my account on the exchange. It's just not tied to that address exactly.
bykardinal

Activity: 1792
Merit: 513

<3 DeepOnion

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 10:16:08 AM

if u registered on many pools with same login names and passwords , some of then can steal you coins from other pools , becose some pools are scamers Cheesy

I dont think that poolerino and cryptovalley can steal you coins. It good pools

Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:21:14 AM

if u registered on many pools with same login names and passwords , some of then can steal you coins from other pools , becose some pools are scamers Cheesy

I dont think that poolerino and cryptowalley can steal you coins. It good pools

That's why you should always use a different password. I started doing this as a precaution when I realised it was convenient for me to use the same login name and worker credentials.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
boxuser

Activity: 322

Credits CRD 1st Decentralized Exchange coin

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:34:11 AM

yes they can

Pangia (OP)

Activity: 406

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:45:50 AM

If you named the pools, I think you also need to name the exchange because that seems to be the point of issue. Are you saying that you are missing that many coins on the exchange or are you just going by what you're seeing on the block explorer? You're talking about a deposit address at an exchange which doesn't necessarily function like a wallet on your personal computer.

For example... I just made 2 transfers tonight to Cryptsy to my IFC deposit address. If I look up the address on the block chain, it shows 2 transactions in and 2 transactions out with an ending balance of 0. But the coins are still on my account on the exchange. It's just not tied to that address exactly.

Hi Mattle,

The exchange is Cryptsy. 

And your explanation makes sense. I wasn't aware that the address from Crypsty wasn't actually mine.  This explains things better. Thank you.

I'm going to try to figure out how to import the private keys onto my Dogecoin QT so I can use a paper wallet.

Thanks for all the responses folks.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║