Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:27:14 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on FBI dumping Silkroad BTC  (Read 6931 times)
kaysersoze (OP)

Activity: 220
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 07:28:53 PM

http://pando.com/2014/01/02/with-130m-of-bitcoin-wealth-and-plans-to-sell-the-fbi-could-rattle-the-virtual-currency-cage/

Being a government entity you can bet on them trying everything in their power to crash the price when they unload..if for nothing else for fun of it

Merch

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 07:42:48 PM

Good. More cheap coins for me.
There is no crashing the btc.
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 07:50:13 PM

I don't believe they have access to the money so what's to discuss.

black_swan

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 07:53:54 PM

This. Stop the FUD here please
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 08:00:04 PM

Good. More cheap coins for me.
There is no crashing the btc.
This!

If they dump all at once, I'm going to make a small fortune buying up cheap coins.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
kaysersoze (OP)

Activity: 220
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 08:08:22 PM

I agree with all of you obv best situation to buy cause has zero correlation with actual progress of btc but I just bought a lot and read this... haha now what do I do?  sell and wait for it too crash to buy again

quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 08:43:04 PM

Nah they won't dump all at once.  They want to get as much money as possible too.  Plus, all legal proceedings go so slowly, I bet it will be months or another year before they even start selling.  They need the BTC for now for evidence against SR.

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
gog1

Activity: 756

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 08:50:07 PM

I think they'll do it by way of an auction rather than dumping on the exchanges - otherwise, it implies that they recognize the legal status of those exchanges.
leshow

Activity: 48

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:27:47 PM

so you htink the FBI is going to make an account on Mt Gox or Bitstamp and sell their coins... seriously?

First of all they can't do anything until the trial is over. Secondly if they are going to sell them it isn't going to be on a japanese exchange that you can't withdraw any USD out of, or on an exchange whose bank is in slovenia. use your critical thinking skills...
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:36:26 PM

if they cash out, people would know that it was just 1 single source that was likely to offload its holdings.. probably wouldn't hurt the price that much.
2tights

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 09:45:09 PM

I watch the values from preev.com (combined) or mtgox.

They keep going up, up up...

I would love to see all those silk road bitcoin dumped so we could all buy cheap btc before it rebounds.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 11:04:40 PM

I doubt they will be selling the coins anytime soon. At least until the trial is over.

Altoidnerd

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

http://altoidnerd.com

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 11:12:10 PM

http://pando.com/2014/01/02/with-130m-of-bitcoin-wealth-and-plans-to-sell-the-fbi-could-rattle-the-virtual-currency-cage/

Being a government entity you can bet on them trying everything in their power to crash the price when they unload..if for nothing else for fun of it

Kinda wondering how the FBI even got to the coins.  Encrypted wallet?  Ya know?

Do you even mine?
http://altoidnerd.com 
12gKRdrz7yy7erg5apUvSRGemypTUvBRuJ
Rannasha

Activity: 728

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 11:24:00 PM

Kinda wondering how the FBI even got to the coins.  Encrypted wallet?  Ya know?

How they got access to the coins will probably never be publicly known. Weak password, old unencrypted wallet-backup, deal with DPR, etc... There are various options available.

Anyway, the coins won't be sold until after the trial is over (including possible appeals). At that point, I guess they'll be auctioned like typical confiscated items. And I seriously doubt the buyer will just dump them on an exchange. In fact, for wealthy buyers that want to play by the rules as much as possible, this batch of coins will be very attractive. For them, buying the coins at a government-sanctioned auction is much better than wiring large amounts of money to an exchange in Japan, Slovenia or Bulgaria to buy coins.
FTWbitcoinFTW

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 11:51:27 PM

I'm sur, 15 agency, at least, already asked to keep those coins for futur LEO

No worries for 1 or 2 years

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone.
it has lots of buttery taste..
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 11:54:49 PM

This. Stop the FUD here please
Huh?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 11:55:46 PM

Don't get your hopes up. The FBI probably will auction off their Bitcoin stash to the highest bidder, this way they have a good chance of having a decent premium on the market price.
All those prominent high worth Bitcoin advocates will stand in line to get a piece off the pie.
chrsjrcj

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 11:56:41 PM

Do they even have the private keys, or is the wallet encrypted? I'm willing to bet they can't even touch the coins, and anyone winning the bid on that auction will be stuck with a locked wallet.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 11:58:09 PM

Do they even have the private keys, or is the wallet encrypted? I'm willing to bet they can't even touch the coins, and anyone winning the bid on that auction will be stuck with a locked wallet.
They moved the coins to a new wallet which requires control over the original Bitcoin wallet. So yes they do have the private keys.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 4603

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 12:12:55 AM

How they got access to the coins will probably never be publicly known. Weak password, old unencrypted wallet-backup, deal with DPR, etc... There are various options available.

Scopolamine? Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay?

Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: