Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:51:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hard Numbers On How Much Money a Merchant Would Save If They Used Bitcoins  (Read 1746 times)
jimbobway (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 08:21:00 AM

If I were to convince a merchant on how much they would save if they accepted bitcoins instead of credit card or paypal, the merchant may like to know dollar amounts of savings for their business.

I've heard 1-2% transaction fee charges for credit card or for using paypal.  But, I would like to know if anyone can give real dollar amounts of actual bitcoin savings.  I think companies like bit-pay.com could use this information as a marketing advantage.

Does anyone have any idea?
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 08:31:40 AM

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside
http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/pdf/MasterCard_Interchange_Rates_and_Criteria.pdf

Also, some credit cards tack on huge fees if you are missing the billing address and/or the security code when you run the card.  Like in amounts of $5.00 or so per transaction.
o

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 08:39:24 AM

It is difficult for them to advertise the low fee aspect because the fluctuation and exchange fee may take up 2% or may be more to reduce their rise. A better way is to advertise it the payment method can hide the credit card information like the bit-pay and attract international customers so that they can earn more.
jack102938

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 08:47:35 AM

I think bitcoin needs to be more upfront about its fees. Fees are inevitable, but bitcoin fees are so low that this comparison between visa/paypal must be made from the off.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 09:05:11 AM

Here in Australia - some merchant bank accounts have a monthly fee irrespective of transactions too e.g $35/Month.
For a the really small scale merchant - or those starting out or just testing an idea.. this can make a difference.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 10:56:47 AM

Don't forget to calculate in the fees the merchant will have to pay to the exchange he uses to insta-exchange bitcoins to a real currency and the wire-transfer fees.

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
Meatpile

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 03:16:08 PM

It is better to try and sell on the fact that random* bitcoin users get the fees instead of giant evil corporations.

* Not really, the biggest mining pools will become the big evil corps eventually. But there is a slight chance still for small miners I guess.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 03:55:29 PM

Wouldn't the merchant be more likely to know who much they spend on CC and related fees than you or we would?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 04:38:16 PM

iv herd for some online retailers, its sometimes as high as 10%, and dont forget chargebacks. if you get chargebacked too much, then they can even drop you, so its a double lose.

BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:06:22 PM

Extreme cases: international purchases
- 2% forex spread from buyer currency to USD/EUR (seller currency)
- 2%-8% wire transfer fee, or ~20 USD SEPA, or 0.5$+2.5% Paypal, or 0.5..1.5$ flat fee or 10-20$ a month + 1.5-3.5% CC merchant fees

So for a 100$ item, a buyer might pay at least 104$, or 122$, or 105.5$, or 104.5$, depending on chosen solution.

For a 100 BTC item (~10x the value) a buyer will pay 100 BTC, or if he has complex transactions, 100.0005 BTC, or whatever the fee will be set. Also this money arrives in your private pocket in ~5 minutes. Also he can't charge back, you don't need to pay insurance fees or charge-back fees on your processors, and you don't need to wait days or weeks to get the funds transferred in your private account/pocket.

Basically, you can confirm a purchase and complete a transaction in the time it takes you to have a proper bathroom break, if you use bitcoin.
julz
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:11:47 PM

Basically, you can confirm a purchase and complete a transaction in the time it takes you to have a proper bathroom break, if you use bitcoin.
In that time.. you could probably even spend it with another merchant!

BombaUcigasa
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:17:47 PM

How could you spend it with another merchant if it's already confirmed in the blockchain?
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 06:29:07 PM

although on the long run the fees are the biggest selling point merchants maybe, for now with the high volatility and the little use of bitcoins for the merchant (he has to gox the BTC to $ and sepa them to his account) I would emphasise the extra turnover through bitcoin users. in every big city in the world, the first fast food restaurants to accept bitcoin with quality burgers will surely do some 200$ extra sales per month. same with hair dressers etc.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
julz
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:27:50 PM

How could you spend it with another merchant if it's already confirmed in the blockchain?

You - being the merchant who just received the confirmed coins.
Why couldn't you?

GoWest

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 08:00:47 PM

If I were to convince a merchant on how much they would save if they accepted bitcoins instead of credit card or paypal, the merchant may like to know dollar amounts of savings for their business.

I've heard 1-2% transaction fee charges for credit card or for using paypal.  But, I would like to know if anyone can give real dollar amounts of actual bitcoin savings.  I think companies like bit-pay.com could use this information as a marketing advantage.

Does anyone have any idea?

What a coincidence...

http://bitcoin-trader.blogspot.com/2011/08/bitcoin-factor.html

BombaUcigasa
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 08:28:28 PM

You - being the merchant who just received the confirmed coins.
Why couldn't you?

It requires 6 confirmations Tongue
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 08:34:41 PM

I think the real argument is how much more business would a merchant pick up by accepting Bitcoin now, and/or in the near future. Although the numbers look great on paper, the fact remains no merchant in their right mind will forego accepting payment via credit cards, PayPal, etc., just because of lower fees alone. They would lose more business than they receive via Bitcoin. Most merchants will wait for the critical mass of people using Bitcoin before they even commit.

Now, there are many businesses that don't accept CC because of the fees alone. They possibly are perfect candidates to approach and sway over to Bitcoin.

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 09:24:10 PM

Although the numbers look great on paper, the fact remains no merchant in their right mind will forego accepting payment via credit cards, PayPal, etc., just because of lower fees alone. They would lose more business than they receive via Bitcoin. Most merchants will wait for the critical mass of people using Bitcoin before they even commit.

There's no reason to stop accepting the other forms of payment.
wolftaur

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 06:25:03 AM

Now, there are many businesses that don't accept CC because of the fees alone. They possibly are perfect candidates to approach and sway over to Bitcoin.

Actually, the grocery store I shop at won't accept credit cards. Debit, cash, food stamps. No Visa, MC, etc. They don't actually lose too many customers because of it, especially because they pass the savings on to the customers. The place makes Wal-Mart look expensive. (And even more crappy. The produce in particular is pretty much the best I can find in the area.)

I wish they would take my bitcoins. Smiley Sadly there's no viable buyer-in-person system for bitcoins at least at the moment. Sad

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 02:56:59 PM

Sadly there's no viable buyer-in-person system for bitcoins at least at the moment. Sad

Bitcoin Wallet on Android? All the merchant needs is an Android mobile to be able to accept Bitcoin payments from customers (who most likely will be using a mobile app themselves, but if they want to carry a laptop with them of course they could Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: