Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:19:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TED discussion - Bitcoin - Commerce without Borders  (Read 7183 times)
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 03:39:00 PM

the reason why so many of you fail at promoting bitcoin and end up doing the exact opposite and fucking it over, is because people need to get to it on their own, like it's the best kept secret ever, which in some ways it still is. It's the lucrativeness that bring people to it, not some bullshit marketing or advertising
All it needs is people who accept bitcoin and face to face word of mouth, by people that know what they are talking about. 

the way you guys go about doing this shit, has the S's (schemer, scammer and spammer) written all over it.

1) Did you actually read the convo I had opened at TED?

2) If so, how could you possibly have perceived that as "spammy"??

The convo was totally appropriate, given TED's audience and demographics. The entire thesis was how Bitcoin may change economic relationships in poor countries. I understand some on these forums have spammed promotion... but I don't, and this wasn't.

Agreed evorhees, your convo was perfectly reasonable for TED. That it got pulled, though, is just another measure of the credibility problem Bitcoin seems to have. If you did anything wrong (and I don't think you did), it was timing it badly. We need to bring credibility to Bitcoin from the ground up. Not so much stability, mind you, as a sense of legitimacy which will have more to do with mainstream media and the academic world starting to look at Bitcoin in that light.

Don't worry, in a few years TED will want to have speakers on Bitcoin, cryptocurrency and digital money... in the meantime, let's get the word out through other channels.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 03:44:15 PM

Don't worry, in a few years TED will want to have speakers on Bitcoin, cryptocurrency and digital money... in the meantime, let's get the word out through other channels.

And when that happens we'll show them this thread and the finger  Cheesy
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 03:55:25 PM

the reason why so many of you fail at promoting bitcoin and end up doing the exact opposite and fucking it over, is because people need to get to it on their own, like it's the best kept secret ever, which in some ways it still is. It's the lucrativeness that bring people to it, not some bullshit marketing or advertising
All it needs is people who accept bitcoin and face to face word of mouth, by people that know what they are talking about. 

the way you guys go about doing this shit, has the S's (schemer, scammer and spammer) written all over it.

2) If so, how could you possibly have perceived that as "spammy"??

The convo was totally appropriate, given TED's audience and demographics. The entire thesis was how Bitcoin may change economic relationships in poor countries. I understand some on these forums have spammed promotion... but I don't, and this wasn't.

nope didn't need too, all of you guys that do this stuff have schemer written all over you.
Since you have taken offense to what I wrote I can only assume you don't seem to understand the concept of why people block your entrance and don't want to read you or hear you. People outside, see bitcoin as an email from that prince of nigeria because of what all of you guys are doing promoting bitcoin the way you are.

If you want, remember the idea of "best kept secret",
you want to know why mtgox is 8.79?
Promotion.
the more it gets promoted like this, the more the price is going to drop.
Tasty Champa

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 04:02:58 PM

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but the whole idea, the root idea, of all of you guys promoting bitcoin is PROFIT.
Pure and simple, you want profit, and you cannot hide it, people see this so easy, the suspicion is correct too.
This is where the problem lies.

If you actually STOP promoting, the price will go up.

people see that downward curve and think "Okay, rats on a sinking ship."

That's what it looks like to an outsider.

It's supply and demand at the information level.
Colargol

Activity: 85

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 04:12:54 PM

Seems you might be interested in PROFIT as well?  Wink

But anyway, could you explain the logic of how the price will go up by keeping it a secret?
This is not sarcasm. I really am interested in how you view this could work. 

Please donate a few pennies to the singing and dancing bear:
1KUsZU8GkUAQJH5ryqSFtTJGgFtqJnsedE
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 04:19:35 PM

A few months ago I actually got an automated email from TED informing me that someone had nominated me to speak about bitcoin. I personally feel there are better choices (Gavin springs immediately to mind) but perhaps my nominator wanted more of an end-user perspective than a developer?

In any case I will +1 this in every manner possible, I want us to get on TED and I don't care who speaks on the topic... Though I'd be lying if I didn't selfishly wish it were me Grin

Just saying, I'm pretty sure my work would give me time off with THAT as an excuse lol.
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 04:20:01 PM

nope didn't need too, all of you guys that do this stuff have schemer written all over you.

If you are to criticize someone's actions, at least make the tactical decision to know what those actions are... lest the perception develop that you may be ignorant of the subject on which you speak.
fennec

Activity: 76
Merit: 87

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 04:25:16 PM

Maybe a TED talk about cryptocurrency in general would be better; less "self-promotional".

Preev – simple Bitcoin converter with live exchange rates
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 04:27:58 PM

Maybe a TED talk about cryptocurrency in general would be better; less "self-promotional".

+1

As it turns out there are a few good examples of cryptocurrency floating around right now. Bitcoin and Namecoin are currently the most noteworthy but certainly we shouldn't exclude the others. If this happens, NMC should DEFINITELY be mentioned.
Tasty Champa

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 10:14:35 PM

Seems you might be interested in PROFIT as well?  Wink

But anyway, could you explain the logic of how the price will go up by keeping it a secret?
This is not sarcasm. I really am interested in how you view this could work. 

Without any doubt I'm in this for profit, if anyone tells you they are not, don't trust that guy. XD

Promotion of bitcoin, has people lining up to buy mining rigs,
this is monies spent entirely outside of bitcoin, that is not invested.
Every press release of a loss or hacking incident accumulates, which spooks the newer speculators and even miners of all ages into panic selling. Making them get burned in the process or leaving with very large sums never looking back. Right now, we have a crippling amount of miners and speculators being called in through mass promotion thinking "quick monies". Now anytime we see a spike, we can guarantee someone with a large sum is going to dump.
defxor

Activity: 530

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 10:19:46 PM

Without any doubt I'm in this for profit, if anyone tells you they are not, don't trust that guy. XD

Really? Neither myself nor anyone I know is into Bitcoin "for profit". Changing the world, getting rid of unnecessary middlemen making money without bringing anything to the table, yes. Creating digital cash for the digital generation, yes. Removing the ability for government to devalue the worth of their citizens, yes.

However, some are, and I agree that the "trade buy buy buy profit!" messages don't really help in convincing people Bitcoin isn't ponzi/pyramid/early-adopter-get-rich etc.
Colargol

Activity: 85

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 10:28:21 PM

Every press release of a loss or hacking incident accumulates, which spooks the newer speculators and even miners of all ages into panic selling. Making them get burned in the process or leaving with very large sums never looking back. Right now, we have a crippling amount of miners and speculators being called in through mass promotion thinking "quick monies". Now anytime we see a spike, we can guarantee someone with a large sum is going to dump.

Okay I can see that but I don't understand why you think keeping it a secret is the answer. Is there not a middle ground between "get rich quick" promotion and secrecy. That being good level-headed and balanced information; such as what I think a TED talk would do, if done right. 

Please donate a few pennies to the singing and dancing bear:
1KUsZU8GkUAQJH5ryqSFtTJGgFtqJnsedE
Tasty Champa

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 09:17:47 AM

Okay I can see that but I don't understand why you think keeping it a secret is the answer. Is there not a middle ground between "get rich quick" promotion and secrecy. That being good level-headed and balanced information; such as what I think a TED talk would do, if done right. 

TED is really for intellectuals. Thinkers never have money, they usually just figure out how to float systems, or spend all their time in their heads and their money archiving/collecting.
which is what most of us are. XD

People that do things, those are the people that rush in when the price of BTC is at $30.
They don't use the internet as much as we do. They get their info through face and phone, from people they have a record of trusting and good faith, guarded through the lines of communication they have chosen.

The other thing is this, and this is paramount, religion, do not ever talk badly about religion on the forums or in business. This is the true test of bitcoin. If it fails it will indeed be related to this. Statistics show 90% (+/-) of the population on earth have a belief system that relates to some form of religious view. So when the guys here get into this, it's like they are setting all of us and themselves on fire or peeing in our food and theirs.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 09:45:26 AM

TED talks are often about obvious common sense ideas, but most folks are not freethinkers. They don't understand simple ideas because they are brainwashed by society. Humans are animals. Animals don't need money and they live just fine. The concept of money is religious. Money exists only to people who believe in it. This is not a discussion about economics, just a fact that we are animals. Don't blame TEDsters for not accepting bitcoin. Bitcoin is a grassroots movement. Most people respond to authoritative religious movements because they are not freethinkers. It's like trying to argue that catholics are better than protestants. Bitcoin is just another money system to try and will eventually fail, but may work well for awhile. Time will tell.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Tasty Champa

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 10:15:00 AM

TED talks are often about obvious common sense ideas, but most folks are not freethinkers. They don't understand simple ideas because they are brainwashed by society. Humans are animals. Animals don't need money and they live just fine. The concept of money is religious. Money exists only to people who believe in it. This is not a discussion about economics, just a fact that we are animals. Don't blame TEDsters for not accepting bitcoin. Bitcoin is a grassroots movement. Most people respond to authoritative religious movements because they are not freethinkers. It's like trying to argue that catholics are better than protestants. Bitcoin is just another money system to try and will eventually fail, but may work well for awhile. Time will tell.

All of that you wrote is opinion, full of cognitive dissonance.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 10:23:14 AM

Do you even know what "cognitive dissonance" means? Can you point out one example here that isn't fact or where I contradict myself?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Tasty Champa

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 10:44:29 AM

Do you even know what "cognitive dissonance" means? Can you point out one example here that isn't fact or where I contradict myself?

I can't justify teaching you the inner workings of societal clauses, manifestations of macro-level decisions and the thought patterns that provoke those intricacies upon an entire populations.
Reasoning is only as strong as your logic provides it to be, therefore reasoning without solid logic backing it, is completely baseless. I can't possibly continue this with you without some form of benefit to myself.
What kind of music you listen to, is it full of discord and noise?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 11:03:54 AM

I can't justify teaching you the inner workings of societal clauses, manifestations of macro-level decisions and the thought patterns that provoke those intricacies upon an entire populations.

I also believe you are not qualified to do so.

Reasoning is only as strong as your logic provides it to be, therefore reasoning without solid logic backing it, is completely baseless. I can't possibly continue this with you without some form of benefit to myself.

Yet you fail to point out any contradictions.

What kind of music you listen to, is it full of discord and noise?

This a lame attempt at a loaded question and Red Herring fallacy argument. Ignored.

Tasty Champa

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 11:19:55 AM

...You can't deal with my infinite nature can you?

-asks me to explain some shit to him, tells me I'm not qualified.
XD

bravo!
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 11:22:29 AM

...You can't deal with my infinite nature can you?

-asks me to explain some shit to him, tells me I'm not qualified.
XD

bravo!
Win!  Grin

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: