Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 04:00:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Laser Engraved Bitcoin/Litecoin Cards (Public ID and BIP38 encrypted cards)  (Read 12782 times)
bmoconno

Activity: 280
Merit: 261

New In Town...

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 09:54:34 PM

As people seem to be interested, we will make a "will it melt?" video and posting it here! Stay tuned.

Can't wait!

If I've helped you out, or you just think I'm awesome… 13SZex4uANVrfTeeuFEXGu6W8EVYtWVB53
BorisAlt

Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:27:25 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 03:42:04 AM by BorisAlt

Does that idiot think that these card are made with aluminum used to make beer cans...? Is he srs? Hey, let's toss a 16-18 gauge anodized aluminum can into a fireplace and see how long that takes to melt.

Where do I find my so called... private key...

You seem to have a big mouth. But again, newbies often do. Welcome to the forum.

Before you get too worked up:

An average Al pop/beer can weighs 14 grams.
Credit card size 16 gauge Al weighs 17 grams.

A flame that will melt/burn 14g of Al will do pretty much the same with 17g.

I am looking forward to the video.

BorisAlt

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:44:44 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 12:56:48 PM by BorisAlt

You seem to have a big mouth. But again, newbies often do. Welcome to the forum.

It's not like you've been here all that much longer, tough guy.

No, just 10 times longer than the big mouth. I prefer not to call people "idiots" regardless. Cryptocards said they will post video, that will be interesting.

You said that there is not much aluminum in a beer can. I provided an estimate how much aluminum is in a can and in a card. Numbers appear very close. What is YOUR opinion based on theese facts?

I am looking forward to my first card. Will it melt or not is pretty much irrelevant. Based on people responses so far it looks like I will be buying more.

cryptocards (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 05:01:55 PM

Hey guys!

thanks for all the interest! So I tested the cards with a blow torch today, and will post a video once I get iMovie working. For those who cant wait for the results:

After being blow torched for ~2 mins, with the flame held only a few inches from the card, the red anodizing was stripped from the card. Although anodizing was no longer present, the IDs that had been engraved were still perfectly legible. The QR code had a tough time reading. I assume this was because there was not enough contrast between the now silver card, and the engraved QR code. This would mean you would have to manually type in your codes after it has been in a fire.

Overall, were happy with the results, as it shows that the engraving is on the aluminium it self, and if the anodizing is stripped (in this case, completely) the card is still readable. Keep in mind, we are not claiming these cards to be fire proof, and this test was just done out of curiosity! When buying these cards, just think about what kind of stresses they will realistically have. If you think fire is a serious problem for your cards, I would suggest getting two, and storing them in separate places.

Note: If you are seriously interested in a completely fire proof card, send us a PM, as we do have the capabilities to make a black, fire "proof" card, but will only do so if there is a demand for such a product.
krampus

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Village Idiot

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:06:12 PM

You said that there is not much aluminum in a beer can. I provided an estimate how much aluminum is in a can and in a card. Numbers appear very close. What is YOUR opinion based on theese facts?

My estimation is somewhat irrelevant at this point, since cryptocards has already weighed in with the results of his test. However, I'd like to point out the chief difference between a beer can and an aluminum card: the aluminum in a beer can is spread over a very large area. The card is not. This makes all the difference in the world.

I pledge never to use this space for sleazy referrals, gambling spam, or to beg for handouts.
maxman190

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:50:14 PM

I like how my posts were deleted by moderator for being "off-topic" when I didn't start the "off-topic" posts and Boris's posts is still up, even though my posts were on the same topic as Boris's. I was also pointing out that Boris was using the word "big mouth" in the wrong context because "big mouth" refers to people who spread rumors and can't keep secrets. I'm guessing this post is also going to get deleted as well?
BorisAlt

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 12:50:23 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2014, 01:10:40 AM by BorisAlt

Hey guys!

thanks for all the interest! So I tested the cards with a blow torch today, and will post a video once I get iMovie working. For those who cant wait for the results:

After being blow torched for ~2 mins, with the flame held only a few inches from the card, the red anodizing was stripped from the card. Although anodizing was no longer present, the IDs that had been engraved were still perfectly legible. The QR code had a tough time reading. I assume this was because there was not enough contrast between the now silver card, and the engraved QR code. This would mean you would have to manually type in your codes after it has been in a fire.

Overall, were happy with the results, as it shows that the engraving is on the aluminium it self, and if the anodizing is stripped (in this case, completely) the card is still readable. Keep in mind, we are not claiming these cards to be fire proof, and this test was just done out of curiosity! When buying these cards, just think about what kind of stresses they will realistically have. If you think fire is a serious problem for your cards, I would suggest getting two, and storing them in separate places.

Note: If you are seriously interested in a completely fire proof card, send us a PM, as we do have the capabilities to make a black, fire "proof" card, but will only do so if there is a demand for such a product.
That's a great news! Thank you. Seeing a video of the BTC card going through a fire test would be awesome. I will show it to all my friends for sure Smiley

krampus, I would think that bigger heat dissipation area would be better at dissipating energy, given mass is very close. Perhaps I am wrong in some way, so yes, definitely looking forward to the video.

Cryptocards, can you include one blank in my order in case you did not ship it yet? I would like to subject it to my own "environmental testing" Cheesy

krampus

Activity: 98

Village Idiot

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 02:38:36 AM

krampus, I would think that bigger heat dissipation area would be better at dissipating energy, given mass is very close. Perhaps I am wrong in some way, so yes, definitely looking forward to the video.

Up to a point, yes. Heat sinks made of aluminum do in fact use surface area to help dissipate heat. However, once the aluminum becomes too thin (ala a beer can, or aluminum foil) it becomes much more susceptible to melting.

So mass is important, but so is the configuration of that mass. Basically, melting aluminum foil with a match is "a trick". In general, that trick only applies to aluminum foil and things that are similar to aluminum foil.

I pledge never to use this space for sleazy referrals, gambling spam, or to beg for handouts.
BorisAlt

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:38:09 PM

I like how my posts were deleted by moderator...

Well, I am happy, you are happy, the whole world is happy !

The topic deviated a bit on flammability discussion. However after the OP came up with an ingenious marketing idea to actually test the product in this rather fiery manner, the topic got back on track. Your posts were deleted when you changed the topic to discuss my personal traits as to the ability to make judgements. You called me with a derogatory name and got quickly punished.

I ordered my first card a week ago. Cryptocards, can you explain why it takes two weeks to deliver to the USA? Also, having a notification email with an estimate of shipping would make you much more popular. At this time I can't recommend your service although I have been interested for over a month now.

cryptocards (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 09:46:22 PM

I like how my posts were deleted by moderator...

Well, I am happy, you are happy, the whole world is happy !

The topic deviated a bit on flammability discussion. However after the OP came up with an ingenious marketing idea to actually test the product in this rather fiery manner, the topic got back on track. Your posts were deleted when you changed the topic to discuss my personal traits as to the ability to make judgements. You called me with a derogatory name and got quickly punished.

I ordered my first card a week ago. Cryptocards, can you explain why it takes two weeks to deliver to the USA? Also, having a notification email with an estimate of shipping would make you much more popular. At this time I can't recommend your service although I have been interested for over a month now.

Hey BorisAlt,

Thanks so much your support and interest. Each order is custom made, so we cannot just take an item off a shelf and send it out. We have had an influx of orders which has resulted in a lead time of about one week. As of tuesday next week, our process will be changing, which will result in quicker, more reasonable lead times.

Thanks again!

Crypto Cards
cryptocards (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 05:55:43 PM

Merch now in stock! http://www.crypto-cards.com/collections/merch
BorisAlt

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 08:40:37 PM

Whoa! I would RATHER prefer your company to dedicate precious resources to improving shipping times of the card orders. if THAT was the reason why you are still so slow with making and shipping cards, I would be really disappointed. I have not got an email about my order after a week, so you surely understand my confusion.

cryptocards (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 09:10:47 PM

Whoa! I would RATHER prefer your company to dedicate precious resources to improving shipping times of the card orders. if THAT was the reason why you are still so slow with making and shipping cards, I would be really disappointed. I have not got an email about my order after a week, so you surely understand my confusion.

Hey BorisAlt,

In my previous post I had explained the reason for the slow order processing, as we received more demand than we could handle right off the bat. We hit the ground running, and as a result we have had some growing pains. As mentioned, early next week our card order processing capabilities will increase, and our order times will be cut down to a more acceptable level.

As for our new merchandise lineup, releasing these new products has had zero effect on our card processing time.

Thanks for your ongoing support!

Crypto Cards
cyrpi4

Activity: 85

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:28:38 AM

Looks nice, I think I'll get one.

Donations: 2235fa09-d5b3-4d5d-9b28-d1281abc1ccb
TonyZX

Activity: 101

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 09:55:00 AM

Those are really cool, I'm placing an order.

Bitcoin is our past, present and future!
maxman190

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:53:28 PM

You sound like an asshole. The merchs are already in stock and doesn't have to be made to order. The cards are made to order. It takes time seeing as how many people are ordering and the time it takes to set up to engrave the QR code onto the card then testing the code to see if it works then shipping it out. It's like you think they have a stash of your QR code engraved on the card ready to ship to you ASAP.
nexus6

Activity: 128

In Cryptography I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 02:36:52 PM

p.s, for those that have received their cards, would you mind leaving us some trust feedback? It would be greatly appreciated!

Crypto Cards

Hey! I just got mine, great product.  Smiley

P.S: Sorry the cell phone picture

coolhandluck

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 11:31:22 PM

I ordered my cards on Jan 6th but was out of town when they arrived so I didn't get to see them til Saturday.  I ordered one with a public address and another with public/private BIP 38.  The combo card will end up in a safety deposit box since it is my cold storage wallet.  I like this product and have ordered a couple more and will probably order more in the future for all my cold storage needs.
BorisAlt

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:54:11 AM

You sound like an asshole...

I thought you would come back after your inappropriate comments were deleted. Please try to learn your lessons my friend.

I have a reasonable concern about my order. He admitted they have issues with the system and working to resolves these issues. You are jonny come lately to the party. Have a nice day.

maxman190

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 06:51:57 AM

You sound like an asshole...

I thought you would come back after your inappropriate comments were deleted. Please try to learn your lessons my friend.

I have a reasonable concern about my order. He admitted they have issues with the system and working to resolves these issues. You are jonny come lately to the party. Have a nice day.
Yes, he admited he has issues, then he promoted his merchs. That's when you came in going, "Oh, I see you're making new products instead of improving your old ones." Anyone can tell what type of tone you were trying to put out. I also like how you only chose to quote part of my comment instead of all of it to make yourself seem like you're not a bad guy. You going to keep bringing up how it took 2 weeks to get your product? Everyone else seemed to be fine with their shipping/delivery time of their cards, but you chose to bitch and moan to the seller.

Hey cryptocard, do you also customize the merchs or are they already pre-made and ready to be shipped? I want a mug that has bitcoin logo on one side and litecoin logo on the other side if that's possible.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: