Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:03:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Laser Engraved Bitcoin/Litecoin Cards (Public ID and BIP38 encrypted cards)  (Read 12774 times)
cryptocards (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 09:00:03 PM
Last edit: January 05, 2014, 11:18:03 PM by cryptocards

Hello Bitcointalk!

I started a little side project called "Crypto Cards" (www.crypto-cards.com), and the initial reception has been great! I started off with public ID cards only, and have recently started offering cold storage cards called Cold Cards (BIP38 encrypted).

How it works:

-Customer provides wallet (for obvious liability reasons, I do not, and will never offer cards in which I have created the associated wallet).

-If purchasing a Cold Card, customer must encrypted the keys themselves using BIP38 encryption. Any order with unencrypted keys will not be processed and order will be refunded.

-For Public ID cards, all that is need is your public address!

-QR codes are then created with the associated wallet information.

-QR codes and address are laser engraved onto tough, durable, anodized aluminum

-Your new card is ready for shipment!

In the coming weeks, a few new products for businesses looking to accept Bitcoin will be available!

If you're interested in a custom order, send a message via the contact page!

Also! If you're interested in making an order, use the promo code "bitcointalk" for a discount!

Thanks so much!

www.crypto-cards.com

https://i.imgur.com/kQ3vHld.jpg

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hephaist0s

Activity: 711
Merit: 532

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:12:20 AM

Looks great -- order placed!

Please don't shut down mysteriously like the guys at coldcoins.co

Tips graciously accepted on my behalf by Mr. Pig. | object2212.com | BTC:1H78y8FVeQrWY6KnxA6WLFQGUoajCuiMAu | ETH:0x3c1bC39EC7F3f6b26ACb6eeeEFe7dE2f486a72E9
cryptocards (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 12:18:36 AM

Thanks for ordering! We won't be shutting down any time soon! We perfected our product before bringing it to market to ensure we had something that worked before trying to sell it! We actually launched about a month ago and have already shipped a decent amount of product to some pretty happy customers  Cheesy

Thanks again, and tell a friend:)
bmoconno

Activity: 280
Merit: 261

New In Town...

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:47:59 AM

I've also placed an order!  They look great and I can't wait to show them off to everyone.

Thanks for the discount!  Grin

If I've helped you out, or you just think I'm awesome… 13SZex4uANVrfTeeuFEXGu6W8EVYtWVB53
BorisAlt

Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 07:09:01 AM

I was unable to place the order due to error on the last page that stated "Shipping rate is not available for your location". I am located in USA.

cryptocards (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 08:43:39 PM

Hey Boris!

Check back, problem has been fixed!

Cheers
BorisAlt

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:59:28 PM

Can someone confirm the quality of the cards when you receive them? They look great on the website.

AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:08:55 PM

Can someone confirm the quality of the cards when you receive them? They look great on the website.
Id also like to hear about the quality.

Also, do you accept Bitcoin/Litecoin as payment? I only see Paypal as an option.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
Thursday

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:14:38 PM

For the last time these are not laser engraved.  They are laser etched.  Laser etching is a superficial process and not anywhere near as durable as engraving.  Save your money for REAL engravings.

1AXBRFK5a8dP7z8T3gb3hvUjm2F6KYFmgS
grumpy619

Activity: 546
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:27:49 PM

For the last time these are not laser engraved.  They are laser etched.  Laser etching is a superficial process and not anywhere near as durable as engraving.  Save your money for REAL engravings.

It is done with a laser engraver. Unless you have a source that can actually engrave on metal at the prices he is selling it at please share. Other then that he is selling a product that is supporting bitcoin structure. Why would you try and hurt a merchant that has a good idea by telling people to save money. Is that how a recession is started by people not wanting to spend money? Great idea for the cards.

▄▄           ▄▄▄▄▄▄             ▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄▄         ▄▄        ▄▄             ▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄                  ▄             ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ 
██        ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀██        ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ███▄       ██        ██          ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄         ██                 ███            ██▀▀▀▀██▄
██       ██▀                ██▀        ▀██       █████▄     ██        ██         ██▀        ▀██        ██                ██ ██           ██     ██
██      ▐█▌                ▐█▌          ▐█▌      ██ ▀███▄   ██        ██        ▐█▌          ▐█▌       ██               ██   ██          ██▄▄▄▄█▀
██      ▐█▌                ▐█▌          ▐█▌      ██   ▀███▄ ██        ██        ▐█▌          ▐█▌       ██              ██     ██         ██▀▀▀▀██▄
██       ██▄                ██▄        ▄██       ██     ▀█████        ██         ██▄      ▄▄  █        ██             ██       ██        ██     ██
██        ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄██        ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀        ██       ▀███        ██          ▀██▄▄▄▄▄ ██          ██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██         ██       ██▄▄▄▄██▀
▀▀           ▀▀▀▀▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀           ▀▀         ▀▀        ▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀           ▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ 
           ▄▄███▄▄
     ▄▄███████████▄▄
 ▄▄███████████████████▄▄
███████████▌ ▐███████████
██▌ ▐███████ ███████▌ ▐██
███ ████▀▀██ ██▀▀████ ███
███ ██▀▄████ ████▄▀██ ███
███ ██ █████ █████ ██ ███
 ▀▀ ██ █████ █████ ██ ▀▀
     ▀ █████ █████ ▀
         ▀▀█ █▀▀
The Premier   ───────────────────
Digital Asset Management Ecosystem
────────   Powered by the ICNQ Token

[ Color  Paper ]
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
[ White Paper ]

▾  Medium
▾  Twitter
▾  LinkedIn
▾  Subscribe

I C N Q  T O K E N

The Token for Digital Asset Management
cryptocards (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 09:57:43 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 03:38:47 PM by malevolent

Id also like to hear about the quality.

Also, do you accept Bitcoin/Litecoin as payment? I only see Paypal as an option.

Yes, we do accept Bitcoin via Bitpay. When you get to the checkout, just use the red checkout button and it will allow you to enter your info and choose either Bitpay or PayPal. We're having that silly pay with paypal button removed, as it is redundant.

As for quality, they're very durable! I'm not going to say indestructible, but they can withstand a significant beat down and still be readable. There has been alot of interest in proof of durability. We'll defiantly add a video to our video series. Any suggestions as to what sort of tests you'd like to see them go through?
cryptocards (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 10:05:18 PM

I have answered this question a couple times on reddit, so I hope you dont mind if I just copy paste what I wrote there:

The process used to create these cards is called laser engraving. The cards are made of a coated metal (anodized aluminum), and they're actually incredible durable. Throw these things in box of rusty nails and they'll do just fine. Before committing to this process, we did a decent amount of scratch testing, and they stood the test. Maybe a video on their durability would be good for our video series! Am I saying these cards will withstand everything? No, that would be a silly claim to make, but they can with stand a hell of a lot. Now, if you're looking for a way to store your bitcoins so they'll survive the effects of a nuclear explosion, I may suggest searching for another method!

As for saving your money for "real" engravings, such as diamond engraving that leaves an indent, you'll have to save a decent amount of money, and the resulting product wont be that great. We tried many methods before choosing this one. Diamond engraving, for example, took roughly an hour per card, as the QR codes are so precise and cover a large area. If that the product you're looking for, it'd cost consumers around $80/card, and the resulting product is not really that much more durable, and the QR codes tend to have a tough time scanning.
Thursday

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 10:10:07 PM

It is done with a laser engraver. Unless you have a source that can actually engrave on metal at the prices he is selling it at please share. Other then that he is selling a product that is supporting bitcoin structure. Why would you try and hurt a merchant that has a good idea by telling people to save money. Is that how a recession is started by people not wanting to spend money? Great idea for the cards.

You don't have a clue about lasers.  And my point stands these are being labeled as laser engraved, which they are not.  They are laser etched which is a superficial surface only marking.  I'm not supporting the community by telling the truth about a product marketed as something it's not?  I'm sorry for telling the bitcoin community this isn't the durable engraved product they think they're getting. 

1AXBRFK5a8dP7z8T3gb3hvUjm2F6KYFmgS
cryptocards (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 10:22:09 PM

You don't have a clue about lasers.  And my point stands these are being labeled as laser engraved, which they are not.  They are laser etched which is a superficial surface only marking.  I'm not supporting the community by telling the truth about a product marketed as something it's not?  I'm sorry for telling the bitcoin community this isn't the durable engraved product they think they're getting. 

Sorry you feel this way. During out testing period we talked to roughly 20 different suppliers, and they all offered us many different forms of marking/printing. Every supplier referred to the method used to create these cards as laser engraving. We were also offered laser etching, which resulted in a rough, sand like finish. Needless to say, we chose to use method that industry professionals referred to as "laser engraving". So either they're all in on some sort of conspiracy, or thats just what the process is called.

Stay tuned for our durability videos. I may have a diamond engraved card made for a comparison test, and maybe that will put this all to rest!

Cheers
BorisAlt

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:26:07 AM

Don't worry about haters. Haters gonna hate. I worry about two things: are you for real and someone to post a review of quality who has a substantial trust on this forum. If you are for real then you will not disappear like several others trying to offer such a service. If a positive review shows up then I will buy 4 cards immediately.

cryptocards (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 02:28:03 AM

Sounds good! We're going to put an insert into each of our orders from now on asking customers to make a post here or post a picture somewhere. A lot of people have been concerned as to whether or not we actually ship product. Hopefully that will clear it up!

Note: If any of our customers who have already received their card are on this forum, post up!
takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:53:48 AM

Offer custom name's and word's on them. I'd be super excited!
AmDD
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:11:31 PM

I think Im going to order one, I'll post pics and some quick thoughts on quality once I receive it.

cryptocards (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 05:19:36 PM

I think Im going to order one, I'll post pics and some quick thoughts on quality once I receive it.

Sounds good! Feed back is much appreciated SmileySmiley
AmDD
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 12:12:49 AM

Order placed, so far so good.

Promo code works and gives an appreciated discount Smiley

Looks like the company is out of Canada and uses Bitpay for bitcoin processing.

I received an email confirmation from Bitpay and Crtpto-Cards.com.

I'll report back once I receive the card.

EDIT: oops, Correction, I did not receive an email from Bitpay, my mistake.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: