Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:55:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which do you feel is the "best" name to uniquely identify the 0.0001 BTC unit?
1 bip = 0.0001 BTC
1 bit = 0.0001 BTC
1 bitdime = 0.0001 BTC
1 bitski = 0.0001 BTC
1 decimillibit = 0.0001 BTC
1 finney = 0.0001 BTC
1 littlebit = 0.0001 BTC
1 man/maan-satoshi = 0.0001 BTC
1 minicoin = 0.0001 BTC
1 nakamoto = 0.0001 BTC
1 pbit = 0.0001 BTC
1 sbit = 0.0001 BTC

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Name the 0.0001 BTC unit - 1st POLL  (Read 5098 times)
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:13:13 AM

The contest to propose a name for the 0.0001 BTC unit continues! Details below....

Please read carefully:

The name list in the poll is set in stone. The primary criteria that held sway was the number of recommendations (including duplicate or similar submissions) for each name, followed by terseness and marketability. That said, I thought some of the suggestions that didn't make the cut were pretty good, but these to some degree or another seemed to spark more interest from the community.

So... please go ahead and vote for whichever name you feel is "best", based on your own personal criteria/preferences/etc. You also get a second vote if you want to throw your weight behind another name in case your first choice doesn't get into the final four (I strongly recommend doing so.) Note that you will not be able to change your votes! Feel free to comment on the choices, or to make the case for one choice over others. As usual, please stay on topic, etc.

Voting will be closed and the thread locked at 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6) on Wednesday, January 8. Shortly thereafter the final poll presenting the final four names will be posted. The final four will be chosen from the highest-voted names that are not found to be obviously flawed (see first thread for examples.)

One final thought: keep in mind that a name for the unit wouldn't necessarily be used as-is; variations of it, or even abbreviations or prefixes derived from it could just as well take hold.

With that, we're off. May the best name win!

Quote from: Credits
bip - arcke
bit - jakioflap
bitdime - amincd
bitski - Bobsurplus
decimillibit - Lorum_Ipsum
finney - bassclef
littlebit - Steef
man/maan-satoshi - wjmilne
minicoin - gbianchi
nakamoto - HairyMaclairy
pbit - Glynn
sbit - arcke

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
joeroxor

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:19:37 AM

Such a difficult decision!

When said aloud "3 bits" as apposed to "3 bitskis", bit ended up sounding the best. Reminds me of a 'buck'. 3 bits, 3 bucks.

Social Media & PR @ BitOrca | Contact: joe.r0x0r@gmail.com | Twitter | Wallet Addresses
Sell/Buy Bitcoin code! @ BitOrcaOrcaBlog | Best Bitcoin Tool Competiton!
Dr Bloggood

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:26:07 AM

Bitski, braski!!

I also like minicoin and maybe littleshit, I mean littlebit (funny!).

HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:51:55 AM

1 Nakamoto could be shorted to 1 Nak or 1 Naka just like 1 Satoshi will probably be shortened to 1 Sat.

Disclosure:  I am talking my own book  Cheesy
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:59:19 AM

They all suck

+ 100

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
fiatsux

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 02:28:59 AM

how about a "bleiber"   Tongue
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 02:33:35 AM

All bad - just stick with 0.0001
jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 02:36:47 AM

Not keen on any of them really, I would prefer grambit as a viable name, none of these here are easy to the ear.

medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 02:38:12 AM
Last edit: January 06, 2014, 04:40:48 AM by medUSA

+1000

There were a few really good ones and none of them are in the poll?
Duane Vick

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 02:59:44 AM

"Shave and a haircut, two bits"

A bit is about 12.5 cents in US money before the decimal system did away with it. Prior to that, one bit was 1/8th of a Spanish dollar. See pieces-of-eight.

When bitcoin peaked, 0.0001 btc would have been on par with the US bit.

1FMDNUutcKVTEAph3c8xCvZie7HaCC3xDt If you feel that I've contributed anything worthwhile, please donate.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:30:21 AM

Do we really have to give names to all 8 decimal points? I thought bitcoin was supposed to make our lives easier .....
xenotrunksx

Activity: 19

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:44:01 AM

I agree that each decimal place doesn't really need its own name.  For me 0.0001 BTC is either 0.1 mBTC (millibitcoins/millibits/em-bits/em-bitcoins - whichever you fancy) or 100 uBTC (microbitcoins/microbits/u-bits).  That being said I chose decimillibit since it follows the same format.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:47:28 AM

I agree that each decimal place doesn't really need its own name.  For me 0.0001 BTC is either 0.1 mBTC (millibitcoins/millibits/em-bits/em-bitcoins - whichever you fancy) or 100 uBTC (microbitcoins/microbits/u-bits).  That being said I chose decimillibit since it follows the same format.

Did you honestly say "decimillibit"? Wink ..... this is how silly this debate is. We are trying to invent words that nobody can spell or say .... when we have numbers already.
xenotrunksx

Activity: 19

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 04:04:30 AM

Did you honestly say "decimillibit"? Wink ..... this is how silly this debate is. We are trying to invent words that nobody can spell or say .... when we have numbers already.

As I said I do not think any new names are necessary but that is not a choice in the poll.
BlueNote

Activity: 75

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 05:42:32 AM

Bitcoin/Bit/Satoshi is the way to go. Each range of 4 decimal places will cover 10,000 units, which is easy to remember, and the names are easy to say. And look at this beautiful little thing below. You can express this whole naming scheme in two lines!

1 Bitcoin = 10,000 Bits
1 Bit = 10,000 Satoshis

Simplicity. Marketability. Roll-off-the-tongue-ness.

1HQbvGAEKKSrwCHv9RZNHoQPGmtLQmiu85
BlueNote

Activity: 75

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 06:10:43 AM

Do we really have to give names to all 8 decimal points? I thought bitcoin was supposed to make our lives easier .....

No. You missed the point of the poll. The point is to do away with naming each decimal place by naming just the 4th since it is the midpoint of the range. We already have Bitcoin for the whole unit and Satoshi for the 8th place. So we can move forward with just three names that will help people to more easily deal with the smaller units.

We'll express values as 50 bits, rather than the bewildering .00500000 bitcoins. This could be used as the new standard unit for everyday transactions. This one name is all we'd need for a very long time since it covers a range of 10,000 units. The benefit of such a naming scheme is that we'd almost always be dealing in whole numbers. Whole numbers are more visually appealing and there's much less of a chance of missing a decimal place and sending a costly erroneous payment.

At the current exchange rate, you can buy 10 bits for $1. So the BIT price would be displayed as $.10 rather than a BTC price of $1000. Many people see this as a refreshing step forward in terms of simplicity and marketability. If the exchanges adopted this scheme, many think that the $.10 price would make it much easier for people to buy in as, again, they'd be dealing in whole numbers of the named midpoint subunit rather than fractions of the main unit.

We are stuck dealing with the smaller units, so why not make it as simple as possible by just naming the 4th place so we can quote prices and payments in convenient whole numbers?

1HQbvGAEKKSrwCHv9RZNHoQPGmtLQmiu85
darbon

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 06:36:40 AM

1 finney!!

▓▓▓▓   Universal Cryptocurrency Wallet           → CREATE  ACCOUNT ▓▓▓▓
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅  HOLYTRANSACTION.com   ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
▓▓▓▓   → OFFICIAL THREADSupported Currencies: BTC, ETH, LTC, DOGE, PPC, BLK, DASH, GRC, GAME, FAIR
▓▓▓▓
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 07:44:16 AM

No. You missed the point of the poll. The point is to do away with naming each decimal place by naming just the 4th since it is the midpoint of the range. We already have Bitcoin for the whole unit and Satoshi for the 8th place. So we can move forward with just three names that will help people to more easily deal with the smaller units.

We'll express values as 50 bits, rather than the bewildering .00500000 bitcoins. This could be used as the new standard unit for everyday transactions. This one name is all we'd need for a very long time since it covers a range of 10,000 units. The benefit of such a naming scheme is that we'd almost always be dealing in whole numbers. Whole numbers are more visually appealing and there's much less of a chance of missing a decimal place and sending a costly erroneous payment.

At the current exchange rate, you can buy 10 bits for $1. So the BIT price would be displayed as $.10 rather than a BTC price of $1000. Many people see this as a refreshing step forward in terms of simplicity and marketability. If the exchanges adopted this scheme, many think that the $.10 price would make it much easier for people to buy in as, again, they'd be dealing in whole numbers of the named midpoint subunit rather than fractions of the main unit.

We are stuck dealing with the smaller units, so why not make it as simple as possible by just naming the 4th place so we can quote prices and payments in convenient whole numbers?

OK fair enough, but good luck on the community ever deciding on a name Smiley

And also, as the price of BTC increases, if we go the naming route, we'll probably have to name all the other buggers as well Wink
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:09:39 AM

They all suck

Agree with that. None of the names are short and easy to remember.
waxaddict

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:30:29 AM

That was pointless, why not just poll all the entries?

Agree, all those suck.

Babybit BTW.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: