Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:10:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EUROPEAN BITCOIN CONFERENCE 2011, PRAGUE NOV 25-27  (Read 94446 times)
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 06:23:27 PM

They probably want it in Prague because of the prevalent sex trade..

http://www.rferl.org/content/article/1060878.html

sorry...I just could not help myself..

Prague has actually taken significant steps at curbing the trade of children and adults into sex trafficking, according to UNESCO.

Unlike other places that shall remain nameless *cough* Pattaya *cough*

Yeah, well it doesn't really seem to work to well.

This is what ECPAT International has to say on the Prague situation:

The prostitution of children in the Czech Republic in general has reportedly decreased in the last few years, partly due to the
strengthening of the social security system and protection measures. The problem appears to be more evident now and is
concentrated in Prague, where the situation remains
, particularly in and around railway stations

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BlockHash

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 06:26:32 PM

They probably want it in Prague because of the prevalent sex trade..

http://www.rferl.org/content/article/1060878.html

sorry...I just could not help myself..

Prague has actually taken significant steps at curbing the trade of children and adults into sex trafficking, according to UNESCO.

Unlike other places that shall remain nameless *cough* Pattaya *cough*

Yeah, well it doesn't really seem to work to well.

This is what ECPAT International has to say on the Prague situation:

The prostitution of children in the Czech Republic in general has reportedly decreased in the last few years, partly due to the
strengthening of the social security system and protection measures. The problem appears to be more evident now and is
concentrated in Prague, where the situation remains
, particularly in and around railway stations

That's very unfortunate to hear. I was under the impression that they were making great strides in cleaning up this problem in Prague. At the very least, it seems they are headed in the right direction and hopefully they can curb this practice completely in the near future.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 06:43:03 PM

My name is Mitchell Bourne, the Organiser.

Hmmm. Hey, Mitchell, are there going to be any accounts mysteriously hacked again?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8264348/parting-prank-prompts-online-privacy-scandal
Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2011, 06:43:34 PM

Cool stuff.
Might go if stuff allows me to.

Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 07:04:26 PM

Great idea! Will try to attend if possible. Could even consider to present something about my mining experiences, if there is any interest. Not that I am big on public speaking, but hey, there is always the first time.

-
Colargol

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 07:06:04 PM

THIS is the conference that will actually have some groundbreaking announcements...

Careful now...   Wink

OT:
Btw, I've always been curious why Ron Paul has a pancake on his head.  

The better question is why Ron Paul wouldn't have a pancake on his head?  Wink

Good point!  
He's got my vote. ( although it might be more helpful if I was an American. )

But getting back on topic:

I suggest, if it hasn't been already.

• Video the event, or the major talks. Live streaming and for video to be viewed later.
  • Check your equipment and have backups, especially the sound equipment.
  • Have one or more microphones in the audience so we can hear the questions and not just the answers.

Thanks.

Please donate a few pennies to the singing and dancing bear:
1KUsZU8GkUAQJH5ryqSFtTJGgFtqJnsedE
comboy

Activity: 247
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 07:23:25 PM

I'm in.

I'd love to see lower price where somebody takes care about accomodation himself.

Variance is a bitch!
Sergey (imcex.com)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2011, 08:26:40 PM

Would like to go and possibly participate in some way.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1104

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 09:01:35 PM

25th Nov, new moon - good choice for starting a new venture, 4th partial solar eclipse of a series - hopefully helps in eclipsing the NY bitcon pump & dump fiasco, black Friday sales in the US if I'm not mistaken - Apple's yearly discount window - all in all = good vibes, I hope to be there

& agreed with above post, why not also list conf 3 day passes for those who prefer to make their own accom arrangemnts (no star to 5 star, or like me with www.airbnb.com - late Nov isn't peak seasson)

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 02:59:15 AM

Price
310 Euro

This looks amazing and very professional.

But, the price... the organizers will accept payment in Bitcoin, right? Speak with Steve and Tony at Bit-pay.com for an easy solution.
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2011, 03:11:14 AM

But, the price... the organizers will accept payment in Bitcoin, right?

I did email Mitch.  It is important for the bitcoin economy to have all payments made in bitcoins for this event.  If not now, when?? 

An attendee goes on the exchange and buys bitcoins.  Those get paid to the conference, the conference sells them back into circulation on the exchange, for the next person to buy them.  The conference then has Euros to pay the hotel and the necessary expenses. 

If you've been waiting for more trading volume in BTC/EUR, this is your chance to make it happen!

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 03:15:11 AM

I did just check the conference website, and it indicates that attendees can pay either with bitcoins or wire transfer. So it seems they do intend to accept bitcoins, but perhaps the method is not yet determined.
forbun

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2011, 03:35:31 AM

I'll also consider attending, but only if I can pay in Bitcoins.

What name would you give to the smallest unit of bitcoin (0.00000001)? sat. What name would you give to 100 sats? bit. 1 bit = 1 uBTC. 1,000,000 bits = 1 BTC. It's bits
Eli

Activity: 128

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 07:11:43 AM

Hey Mitch:

Here's a suggestion for the conference. Find Bitcoin detractors and let them debate the issues with members of the Bitcoin community. Find an economist who thinks Bitcoin is a pyramid scheme, give him a platform to expose his ideas, then have him debate them in the open with someone from the Bitcoin camp. Find a tech guy who thinks he may have detected a problem with the code and let him debate Gavin or Jeff. Find someone who believes the current monetary system is just fine, and that centralisation is crucial to a currency... you get the gist.

We need to open this discussion a bit. The rest of the world sees Bitcoin as a hobby, largely because the Bitcoin community is closed and has a definite proselytising slant to it. A sophisticated, high level argument will only benefit us in the end.

Cheers,

+1
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 07:40:24 AM

when paid in fiat it is often easier to write off taxes

-
worldly (OP)

Activity: 137

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2011, 08:09:51 AM

It's very nice to hear some positive feedback from the community, will try and reply to all the constructive criticism, suggestions and feedback every day.
There has been some mention of of not bundling the hotel in with the conference package.  We have taken this onboard and at this stage we will be offering this to Czech Residents only.
There are some reasons behind this due to logistics in regards to distribution of welcome packs, possibility of moving the conference location to cater for larger numbers and revenue needed to
make the conference work. 

Putting on a great conference is first priority we will then try and please as many people as possible.

Mitch is doing things the right way and I'm impressed with how he and his team are going about it this - completely professionally and above board. None of the crazy antics and over blown hype here, these guys know what they are doing.  If I can get away for that weekend, I will most certainly be there.

THIS is the conference that will actually have some groundbreaking announcements and real work being done to better our community and the acceptance of BTC in the mainstream.

Thanks for the feedback BlockHash, If anyone has a groundbreaking announcement please get in touch.
I've had some discussion about things in the works and I'm sure there will be a lot to showcase in November.

Hey Mitch:

Here's a suggestion for the conference. Find Bitcoin detractors and let them debate the issues with members of the Bitcoin community. Find an economist who thinks Bitcoin is a pyramid scheme, give him a platform to expose his ideas, then have him debate them in the open with someone from the Bitcoin camp. Find a tech guy who thinks he may have detected a problem with the code and let him debate Gavin or Jeff. Find someone who believes the current monetary system is just fine, and that centralisation is crucial to a currency... you get the gist.

We need to open this discussion a bit. The rest of the world sees Bitcoin as a hobby, largely because the Bitcoin community is closed and has a definite proselytising slant to it. A sophisticated, high level argument will only benefit us in the end.

Cheers,

We like this idea a lot, if anyone wants to suggest likely candidates for us to get in touch with please do.

I, aka Bitcoil, will be attending the event as a sponsor.

They NYC conference was very interesting, but we need a much better organized conference. I'm confident in Mitchell's ability to run this professionally and successfully.

Mitchell, there should be an official attendance list to which people can optionally add their real name and/or forum/IRC nickname. It should also be possible for people who haven't yet paid to be able to add themselves with an "unconfirmed" status. In addition to a list of names, the total number of people, including those who wished not to reveal their identity, should be displayed.

Hi Meni, will add this to our to do list.
Thanks for the feedback.

Great idea! Will try to attend if possible. Could even consider to present something about my mining experiences, if there is any interest. Not that I am big on public speaking, but hey, there is always the first time.

Submissions are open for talks, please email or PM

Here is our policy:

We are looking for new technologies, concepts in bitcoin that the community and those outside will find interesting.  We are going to stay away from advertisements, or people just discussing their business in the talks section.  If you have something that you think fits this format please submit your idea for a talk.

But getting back on topic:

I suggest, if it hasn't been already.

• Video the event, or the major talks. Live streaming and for video to be viewed later.
  • Check your equipment and have backups, especially the sound equipment.
  • Have one or more microphones in the audience so we can hear the questions and not just the answers.

Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions, first 2 points are a given, the 3rd is added to our suggestions list.

But, the price... the organizers will accept payment in Bitcoin, right?

I did email Mitch.  It is important for the bitcoin economy to have all payments made in bitcoins for this event.  If not now, when?? 

An attendee goes on the exchange and buys bitcoins.  Those get paid to the conference, the conference sells them back into circulation on the exchange, for the next person to buy them.  The conference then has Euros to pay the hotel and the necessary expenses. 

If you've been waiting for more trading volume in BTC/EUR, this is your chance to make it happen!

PM coming soon, we will be accepting bitcoin as payment.

If anyone has suggestions on the conference we are very flexible this early on. As we move further down the track we will not be able to take on as many suggestions so if you have something to add please get in early.

Mitch

European Bitcoin Conference Prague 2011
cloon

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 09:39:16 AM

i very like your conference!
note this:
-invite as much new bitcoin services and shops as possible and let them promote theyr product (courses or make a promotion room)
-invite as much media as possible!
-accept tickets for fiat money, that also people can come, who dont know much about Bitcoin
-Organize bublic relations on non Bitcoin-sites and in the non virtual world
-get something absolutely revolutionary; give the people and the media sth exiting!

all in all:
look for promotion: the more non-bitcoin-people hear about it (before or after), the more influence the conference will have

good luck!

donations to 13zWUMSHA7AzGjqWmJNhJLYZxHmjNPKduY
Aggro
Donator

Activity: 296

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 01:14:31 PM

Hello!

I am happy to announce that AurumXchange has been asked (and have accepted) to be a sponsor for this conference! I am still unsure if I will be able to travel on those dates, but if unable, we will make sure to send a representative of our company to this event.

Thank you to the organizers for their invitation, and hope to see you all there!

Roberto
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2011, 08:06:38 PM

Sounds good. Price with hotel is fine but somehow I would rather prefer to stay at a friend's house. Is booking without hotel really limited to locals??? Would be sad but maybe no blocker for me.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
mikegogulski

Activity: 360

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2011, 09:08:49 PM

There has been some mention of of not bundling the hotel in with the conference package.  We have taken this onboard and at this stage we will be offering this to Czech Residents only.

Dealbreaker for me if it remains like this, as I'll be "resident" at a friend's place about 20 minutes' walking distance from the hotel.

Ah well... badge-forging and/or partycrashing may occur Cheesy

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: