Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:40:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Time to go on a spending spree at Overstock!  (Read 5504 times)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 12:29:47 AM
Last edit: January 11, 2014, 08:08:20 PM by Anon136

I bought this. http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/LaserLyte-Laser-Trainer-Target/7263294/product.html?refccid=5J6BOFOOZNS3TA2CSJJGXA56SA&searchidx=2

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I_bitcoin

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 02:00:15 AM

I bought things!   Going to try to buy more next week.   Sure I will need something.

No matter where you go, there you are.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 02:01:49 AM

I bought things!   Going to try to buy more next week.   Sure I will need something.

you are supposed to tell us about the things you bought.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
T.Stuart (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 03:45:02 PM

I bought several handbags!  So excited!  They were on sale 90% off too!  And I used the small amount of coin I still had on Gox.  That is one way to get rid of coins left there!  Grin

Please could you post a picture of those handbags when you can?  Smiley

Got a few different styles of these.  They will make nice gifts too.  I know most guys won't care though. Wink

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Handbags/Gigi-Hill,/brand,/111/dept.html

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
David M

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 06:43:51 PM

I am on a business trip in the US at the moment and thank god for overstock.

I have tried to purchase several items on other online stores with my credit card but gave up due to the billing address and shipping address being in different countries.

Think about that for a moment.

I jumped on to Overstock, bought a watch for myself.

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Citizen-Mens-Scuba-Fin-Stainless-Steel-Watch/8437727/product.html

And some Lip balm and foot scrubs for my better half back home.

I had all the goods in the Checkout, but then decided to look for a coupon.  I found one that gave me 10% off the total (For new customers only) and that was applied with no questions asked.  That saved $31 US.

The checkout process was trivial (I used the "Check out as Guest" option) and after firing up my Multibit spending wallet, I got confirmation of my transactions instantly.

Go Bitcoin Go!

David M

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 08:09:26 PM

10% off coupon!!! Oh man, I could have really used that!

This is where I got it.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/overstock.com

It opens the overstock web site with the code embedded in the URL
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:47:07 AM

I bought a Cold Steel heavy duty sword cane. Smiley

I was going to buy it on amazon (since I have some amazon credit built up), but they mysteriously stopped selling it there *sigh*

I noticed it on Overstock, and at a pretty comparable price to Amazon's, so I bought it there instead Smiley

I would love if Amazon accepted bitcoins directly instead of having to buy amazon gift cards through gyft.com

One day my friend, one day Smiley
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 02:42:16 AM

So being the blond that I am I hit "Confirm" twice when I sent funds from Gox to Overstock the other day.  I saw that my payment was received on Overstock.com so I went back to gox and the button still said, "Confirm" so I clicked it thinking it was asking if it had been sent but then it sent my payment twice.

All that said, Overstock.com sent me 0.07 coins (I only sent them 0.06 but I guess the price per BTC went down a bit from when I paid.)

BitChicksHusband said I should post this so you all could see that it passed the "BHT"  or the "Blond Housewife Test."

And if any of you guys want me to beta test any other shopping sites you are more than welcome to send coins my way.   Grin  I guess I am good at it! 

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 02:53:10 AM

So being the blond that I am I hit "Confirm" twice when I sent funds from Gox to Overstock the other day.  I saw that my payment was received on Overstock.com so I went back to gox and the button still said, "Confirm" so I clicked it thinking it was asking if it had been sent but then it sent my payment twice.

All that said, Overstock.com sent me 0.07 coins (I only sent them 0.06 but I guess the price per BTC went down a bit from when I paid.)

BitChicksHusband said I should post this so you all could see that it passed the "BHT"  or the "Blond Housewife Test."

And if any of you guys want me to beta test any other shopping sites you are more than welcome to send coins my way.   Grin  I guess I am good at it! 

You managed a "Double Spend", just not the type we normally talk about here Wink

Good they sent the coins back promptly, and heck, you even made a profit!
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:34:40 AM

Yes.  I never shopped there before, but now maybe I need to take a look.  Just to support the bitcoin community I mean.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:40:43 AM

I went back again to look for something I can use.  I changed my mind about the prices being reasonable.  Lots of them are actually not.  Worse, it's a God-awful mess to try to find things in the native categorization tree.  Plenty of the things (e.g., I was looking for a reasonable sized UPS) were blatant rip-offs.  Then they might have basically the same item multiple times with wildly different prices (and utterly absurd 'compare' readings.)

I always respected Byrne's fights against the naked short/ financial media criminals, but the honest truth is is that the Overstock web-site seems to suck beyond usability and I cannot see any particular value that these guys are bringing to the table.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:57:50 AM

I went back again to look for something I can use.  I changed my mind about the prices being reasonable.  Lots of them are actually not.  Worse, it's a God-awful mess to try to find things in the native categorization tree.  Plenty of the things (e.g., I was looking for a reasonable sized UPS) were blatant rip-offs.  Then they might have basically the same item multiple times with wildly different prices (and utterly absurd 'compare' readings.)

I always respected Byrne's fights against the naked short/ financial media criminals, but the honest truth is is that the Overstock web-site seems to suck beyond usability and I cannot see any particular value that these guys are bringing to the table.

Some of you programmers should offer to make the site easier to browse for payment in BTC.   Grin

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:29:35 AM

Some of you programmers should offer to make the site easier to browse for payment in BTC.   Grin

Ironically I worked for a company once who had them as a customer for certain services, but that's probably about all I should say about it.  Thankfully my job didn't involve trying to clean up messes like the one under discussion.

The messes I had to clean up involved security and could be handled in one of several ways.  1) Either not have security problems, or 2) have such lame monitoring that what intrusions might exist go undetected and thus don't take a lot of one's energy.  I employed a combination of both strategies Smiley

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
rick2718

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:28:10 PM

I bought some shoes to do my bit to help promote, though I had never purchased
from them before.  I have to wonder though what the ongoing btc revenue rate will be
for them after the one-shot first time response of people like me.

I guess the general question is

A merchant can save the ~3% and shed risk, but what is the incentive
for joe consumer to bother with bitcoin?

Even if they pass on some
of the savings, $89.95  becoming $89.05  would not be enough to
make me bother.  Maybe it helps a lot with micro-payments, but
do you think it will ever attain widespread, consistent use?

It seems like the big value of it are the things (avoiding taxation, inflation,  litigation, tracking)
that will cause great friction with the powers that be.
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 08:07:00 PM

A merchant can save the ~3% and shed risk, but what is the incentive
for joe consumer to bother with bitcoin?

You do not have to use a credit card. Not every one has credit. Not everyone will use their credit card online cuz hackors...

If a guy goes to a BTC ATM he does not even need a bank to buy stuff online.

Edit: Also with credit cards you can only have stuff shipped to your address. With BTC you can ship to where ever you happen to be.

I'm sure there are more advantages.

Actually, when I pay with my credit card, I have stuff shipped to my work address, which is different than my billing address.
David M

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:13:30 PM

Actually, when I pay with my credit card, I have stuff shipped to my work address, which is different than my billing address.

That works for me when the billing and shipping address are in the same country.

That failed for me when I go OS. (Australian Billing address, US Shipping address)
Atruk

Activity: 700

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 03:00:53 AM

There site is a bit of a mess. I did however find some deals but I'm sure I was looking at different stuff than you. Also some of the stuff they sell just looks like complete crap, very low quality. But then again they have high end high quality stuff too.

I also noticed that they have repeat listings of the same product at different prices. I'm pretty sure the way overstock works is that they let others sell goods on their sites. I have had items ship from all over and never directly from "overstock". The shipping is no where near as fast as amazon.com but I will use overstock for some stuff as I want to support sites that support BTC.

When/if I get a house we will consider buying a bunch of furniture and what not from them.

In my first flirtation with Overstock last week I found they shipped my chosen timekeeping instrument faster than Amazon had shipped anything to me recently. Thanks to the multiple sellers situation they do have some good deals. Probably just not good enough deals to pay for with BTC.

tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 04:12:12 AM

So what were the top items purchased?  I wonder.  I think I saw some sort of list recently on a news aggregator.  Wish I could pull that up ....
David M

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 04:50:18 PM

I also bought a watch. Pretty happy with it.

May I ask which one?

I have completed another 3 orders with Overstock all with coupons and each item was within a couple of percent price-wise compared to the other online retailers.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 05:47:30 PM

I've found that paying with bitcoin to overstock.com isn't cheap.  The value converter in my Mycelium client consistantly quotes the bitcoin price about 10% higher than what Overstock says it is. 

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: