Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:01:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's recap on what we've seen in the past few months  (Read 12970 times)
Synaptic

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 05:25:50 PM

But if you think FPGAs and ASICs are going to be profitable or even exist

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40047.0
&
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40058.0 (they sold out the previous run)

As to profitable, I thought it was you who - like me - believed $/BTC was going down?

I wasn't unaware of these FPGAs. I was exploring using an FPGA when I got in on the mining hype before the bubble burst. Since of course, a FIELD PROGRAMMABLE GATE ARRAY can be used for whatever the fuck you're able to program on it.

ASICs for Bitcoin however, do not and will not exist in the market.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 05:27:47 PM

Look, if I get insanely bored today I'll come back and take the piss out of you and your little sidekick, but I really don't care to right now.

Thank you for yielding, I was indeed wondering for how long you would continue to post absolutely nothing of value Smiley

(To our readers: I'm sorry I messed up the current state of FPGA price/efficiency. The numbers are even better than what I used - see the first of the two links I posted just now)

Thank you for your opinion Smiley
Synaptic

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 05:30:11 PM

Look, if I get insanely bored today I'll come back and take the piss out of you and your little sidekick, but I really don't care to right now.

Thank you for yielding, I was indeed wondering for how long you would continue to post absolutely nothing of value Smiley

(To our readers: I'm sorry I messed up the current state of FPGA price/efficiency. The numbers are even better than what I used - see the first of the two links I posted just now)

Thank you for your opinion Smiley

My opinions have an uncanny ability to be absolutely correct, borne out time and again.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2011, 06:00:53 PM

Someone might do one for fun, if they're taking an ASIC design course or something.  But, remember, all miners collectively are limited to about 7200 BTC per week.  Building vast amounts of mining capacity can increase your share of that, but not total production.
Synaptic

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 06:05:06 PM

Someone might do one for fun, if they're taking an ASIC design course or something.  But, remember, all miners collectively are limited to about 7200 BTC per week.  Building vast amounts of mining capacity can increase your share of that, but not total production.

Right, the whole thing is just asinine in it's execution.

The sooner Bitcoin and it's clones die, the better it will be for cryptocurrency as a concept, and potential viable alternative currency.
defxor

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 06:20:33 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2011, 12:16:02 AM by defxor

But, remember, all miners collectively are limited to about 7200 BTC per week.  Building vast amounts of mining capacity can increase your share of that, but not total production.

Today's share of CPUs in mining is 0%. A product like Xilinx EasyPath ($75000 NRE + lots of orders) would bring current FPGA upfront costs down quite a lot. What's needed for someone to gamble on such a venture is the belief that ASIC (or if you want to call EasyPath a hybrid FPGA/ASIC solution) miners would grab a significant share of those 7200 BTC per week. (edit: $2/BTC is still $750k/year)

If the BTC price is going down to levels where it's just not profitable for GPU miners to mine due to electricity costs, that will indeed happen.

edit: I went with 7200 BTC per week from Nagle without thinking. It's 7200 per day though which changes the calculations a bit. Even with $2/BTC that would still mean the value of bitcoin mining for a year to be $5.26M.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 06:33:31 PM
Last edit: September 02, 2011, 06:46:14 PM by fcmatt

But if you think FPGAs and ASICs are going to be profitable or even exist

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40047.0
&
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40058.0 (they sold out the previous run)

As to profitable, I thought it was you who - like me - believed $/BTC was going down?

I wasn't unaware of these FPGAs. I was exploring using an FPGA when I got in on the mining hype before the bubble burst. Since of course, a FIELD PROGRAMMABLE GATE ARRAY can be used for whatever the fuck you're able to program on it.

I knew about those FPGAs. They still do not make sense to me from a reasonable ROI.

I know about Art Forz and his ASIC work. I cannot quote exactly what he did in detail but he is the closest
to actually doing it that exists today to my knowledge. He admits they are not exactly a great ROI either
since they are a limited hobbyist type of thing.

GPUs are here to stay for quite a while and represent the only real chance to make money when mining
in less then 4-6 months with a BTC price around 8 dollars and average elect costs. So to me there is no
debate. If the price of BTC goes below that most people are just going to quit and not bother with FPGA/ASIC.
If difficulty decreases enough for them to get back in they will. Most miners I know will not tolerate a
multi year pay off on hardware, period.

So if those people who own FPGA want to carry the load and make 10-20 cents a day.. most miners will
let them and move on. None of us really expected the gravy train to last forever.

defxor

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 06:54:33 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2011, 12:15:17 AM by defxor

If the price of BTC goes below that most people are just going to quit

and

if those people who own FPGA want to carry the load and make 10-20 cents a day

are mutually exclusive statements

(at $4/BTC most GPU miners will quit, yet there's still $1.5M $10.5M mined a year)
Synaptic

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 07:00:43 PM

and

if those people who own FPGA want to carry the load and make 10-20 cents a day

are mutually exclusive statements

(at $4/BTC most GPU miners will quit, yet there's still $1.5M mined a year)

There you go with your lack of math skills again...

It seems you've totally forgotten about difficulty retargetings, which in the event that miners continue to drop out, GPU's will sill HEAVILY out-perform even the cheapest FPGAs, especially since most of them will be PAID OFF ALREADY or incidental to a gamers rig anyway...

You really embarrass yourself, it's pitiful.
defxor

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 07:04:23 PM

I'm sure we are all impressed with the multitude of calculations you've posted here today Smiley

It seems you've totally forgotten about difficulty retargetings, which in the event that miners continue to drop out, GPU's will sill HEAVILY out-perform even the cheapest FPGAs, especially since most of them will be PAID OFF ALREADY or incidental to a gamers rig anyway...

I agree that the GPU rigs will HEAVILY outperform even the cheapest FPGAs in maximizing electricity costs.

(where "paid off already" or being "gaming rigs" is of no relevance whatsoever)

Difficulty retargeting is slow and depends on how quickly FPGA/ASIC uptake replaces GPUs in total Mhash/s as well.
Synaptic

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 07:06:55 PM

I'm sure we are all impressed with the multitude of calculations you've posted here today Smiley

I agree that the GPU rigs will HEAVILY outperform even the cheapest FPGAs in electricity costs.

Difficulty retargeting is slow and depends on how quickly FPGA/ASIC uptake replaces GPUs in total Mhash/s as well.

There is no FPGA/ASIC uptake, you're just fucking stupid.

Ask Vladamir what he's buying, or even planning on buying in the next year.

I assure you it isn't FPGAs.
defxor

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 07:12:16 PM

you're just fucking stupid

Your math abilities are indeed amazing. Do you always win your arguments with such logical brilliance?
Synaptic

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 07:13:17 PM

you're just fucking stupid

Your math abilities are indeed amazing. Do you always win your arguments with such logical brilliance?

Yes.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 07:16:15 PM

Would a fair estimate be 200 active FPGA mining boards exist today and that would be about 20 gh/s?
If so they do represent a tiny fraction of the mining power today and their uptake would have to
increase in such a dramatic fashion to even become a blip on a chart.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 07:21:17 PM

I agree that the GPU rigs will HEAVILY outperform even the cheapest FPGAs in electricity costs.

There is no FPGA/ASIC uptake, you're just fucking stupid.

Ask Vladamir what he's buying, or even planning on buying in the next year.

I assure you it isn't FPGAs.

I think the reason people aren't getting your point is that you're not being insulting enough.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
defxor

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 07:22:58 PM

is functionally equivalent to

their uptake would have to increase in such a dramatic fashion to even become a blip on a chart.

doktor99

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 07:24:30 PM

When the hashing power has decreased and rigs were sold. But yeah people are in denial, that's what gives scam artists alternate cryptocurrencies a free hand.

Deepbit disagrees with you.  Over the past month the hash rate there (measured, not estimated) has gone from 5 terahash to 5.5 terahash.   It was going up 50 gigahash a day as the price went below $10, and has since flatlined -- but it has not decreased in any measurable way.

*MY* remaining mining hardware is on craigslist, I don't deny it.   Already sold two 5830s for $120 each, hoping for a difficulty drop or price pop to sell the last 2.  But that won't be the general case until FPGA and ASIC miners make video cards as obsolete as CPUs.

Why do you people still believe there's going to be bitcoin ASICs? How many goddamn times does it have to be drilled into your head that the economics will NEVER work out enough to develop one until BTC are trading for well over $50/coin steadily...

I'm interested to know your assumptions behind your $50 price to justify ASIC mining. Please share if you're willing.
Synaptic

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 07:32:03 PM

When the hashing power has decreased and rigs were sold. But yeah people are in denial, that's what gives scam artists alternate cryptocurrencies a free hand.

Deepbit disagrees with you.  Over the past month the hash rate there (measured, not estimated) has gone from 5 terahash to 5.5 terahash.   It was going up 50 gigahash a day as the price went below $10, and has since flatlined -- but it has not decreased in any measurable way.

*MY* remaining mining hardware is on craigslist, I don't deny it.   Already sold two 5830s for $120 each, hoping for a difficulty drop or price pop to sell the last 2.  But that won't be the general case until FPGA and ASIC miners make video cards as obsolete as CPUs.

Why do you people still believe there's going to be bitcoin ASICs? How many goddamn times does it have to be drilled into your head that the economics will NEVER work out enough to develop one until BTC are trading for well over $50/coin steadily...

I'm interested to know your assumptions behind your $50 price to justify ASIC mining. Please share if you're willing.

I might be far underestimating the necessary value here, but at $50/BTC (sustainable), it becomes feasible for companies with the large disposable capital necessary to fund ASIC development/fabrication to spend with a reasonable expectation of ROI and possibly size-able profit.

However, that still doesn't negate the fact I've addressed before that even if an ASIC were developed, as long as it was profitable to mine with one, YOU and every individual idiot wanting it wouldn't get their hands on one, because it will ALWAYS be mroe profitable for the one who spend the development capital to simply mine with the fruits of their effort.

ASICs will never have a public adoption if they were to hypothetically developed, because the investors would just put them online and mine for themselves at a much higher profitability than selling the chips. $50 is just my flippant estimation of when a particular set of capital holders feel it's worth their while.
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 10:54:48 PM

Well, I just "ignored" a user for the first time.   Grin  Bet you can't guess which one?

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
alexanderanon

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 03:19:10 AM

Synaptic is just another autistic 17 year old INTJ with awkward sentence structure and a general loathing for anyone who doesn't agree with him, whether his arguments are supported or not. Move on, nothing to see here.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: