Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:58:29 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New bank account "are you going to use this for bitcoin mining?"  (Read 2489 times)
nanobtc (OP)

Activity: 601
Merit: 610

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 12:07:19 AM
Last edit: March 20, 2021, 06:24:33 AM by nanobtc

It was not me, but a family member. They said that was the very first question.

Lennon: "free as a bird"
jzcjca00

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 12:13:25 AM

Boy, I wish my bank would ask me that.  I'd say, "Why?  Would you have a problem with that, because I can easily take my business elsewhere!"

Tips much appreciated! 1PPJHDawPvjh6MEzsvXrMYLgpLmyAaNXUc
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 01:29:40 AM

My bank opened me a separate bank account from my main account solely for bitcoins
pjviitas

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 02:14:24 AM

Every single satoshi I get from mining has never been to a bank....they can keep their fiat for all I care
Inedible

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 02:18:52 AM

That sounds pretty promising.

Might mean banks are now happy for people to buy Bitcions.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 02:21:22 AM

Interesting. Did your family member say they were a bitcoin miner or did they say no?

If they said yes, did they still open the account?

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 02:22:36 AM

Yes. They ask the question, and if you say "yes," the ceiling opens up and balloons drop down. They also put a star next to your account name in their databases to give you the best customer service.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 02:23:14 AM

I don't even understand how a bank account can be used for bitcoin mining.  Did they mean bitcoin trading?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
pjviitas

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 02:24:17 AM

I don't even understand how a bank account can be used for bitcoin mining.  Did they mean bitcoin trading?

This is what I assume they mean...using the account for possible money laundering.
pjviitas

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 02:42:37 AM

They specifically said mining. My family member was flabbergasted, to even hear about bitcoin mining in public, (outside the confines of the rants I subject my family to).

They said no, and got the account. They found it interesting that it was the very first question.

After digging around online, I may have found a connection? Butterfly Labs is (was?) in Kansas City, Missouri USA. If you dig around, you can find that BFL was using Commerce Bank.

They have had many well-publicized troubles, perhaps Commerce Bank was trying to distance themselves from "those crypto weirdos". Or, perhaps BFL was a very profitable account for them?

Ya...possibly one of those local practice things...nothing to do with money laundering.
ymer

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 02:50:15 AM

I would answer "No".

Don't want to make it easier for big brother to crack down on me.
Inedible

Activity: 700

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 03:41:32 AM

Yes. They ask the question, and if you say "yes," the ceiling opens up and balloons drop down. They also put a star next to your account name in their databases to give you the best customer service.

Where do I sign?

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Kungfucheez

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 03:46:14 AM

That's funny, I don't think I've ever heard my bank mention bitcoins, or any bank in my area. Hell, most people I know probably have no fucking clue what a bitcoin even is.
MrPalmer

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 08:12:56 AM

Cheesy

I'm in the same boat.  I can't imagine that any of the staunch, crusty old bankers working in this town have any interest in BTC. 

Oj0

Activity: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 04:59:00 PM

Play dumb, ask what Bitcoin is. Knowledge that you're actively trading BTC would probably get your account flagged for recurring audits by the IRS. It might also put you on a watchlist somewhere.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 05:47:57 PM

I lol'd to this... 

While I typically think Bank of America is the worst for almost all banking services, I think they may be the easiest in regards to no hassles with bitcoin
Jcw188

Activity: 546

Carpe Diem

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 07:59:51 PM

Wow I'm shocked they asked you this, especially as the first question.  I would have been like totally shocked and wondered why they were asking me...like how would thye know?  if they asked a family member who did nothing with Bitcoins I would think it was the weirdest thing, I would wager most people at banks don't even know what Bitcoins are!

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
Peacefrog

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:57:55 AM

My bank opened me a separate bank account from my main account solely for bitcoins

This is awesome imo. I'm sure banks still close accounts for bitcoin related use but i heard from people months back that it was almost impossible finding a bitcoin friendly bank.

If you don't mind me asking, what bank do you use?

ShareCoin Free and Fair Distribution. Sha9sRtV5ermdZKwxZJPdT1cStK5RGWxGr
Xav

Activity: 78

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:43:06 AM

My bank might say; Go enjoy digging a hole in your own backyard, son. Bitcoin is less then goat-poop; it doesn't even burn.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 02:28:17 PM

Wow I'm shocked they asked you this, especially as the first question.  I would have been like totally shocked and wondered why they were asking me...like how would thye know?  if they asked a family member who did nothing with Bitcoins I would think it was the weirdest thing, I would wager most people at banks don't even know what Bitcoins are!

It may just happen that they study the local bitcoin community around them, i.e. how many people know about bitcoin and whether it has or may have interest to them in the future to get the advantage of being the first with their service for bitcoiners in the area...

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: