Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 08:01:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 min left in Bitcoin Painting Auction! CoinDesk calls it #1 Bitcoin Art Piece  (Read 11223 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 11:22:20 PM

Curious: can these wallets have any image carved onto them, and would the artist mind carving on something that is copyrighted?

Yes (just about), and no, albeit it should be yes, and you shouldn't be asking such.  Roll Eyes

Just FYI, I was going to inquire about ording 4 of them with Sonic characters on them, but got too distracted and lost track of this thread. Oh well. Still thinking what I could possibly sell later. Alas, coming from a family situation similar to the OP's and Phinn's (family came to this county when I was 10, with only $300 to our name), I don't have a lot of valuables or heirlooms in my posession. If you don't count my Sonic the Hedgehog collection, likely worth tens of thousands of dollars... Tongue
camponez

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 04:54:23 PM

Sorry for my late update here.

I'm very honored to be part of this project and very happy to be the FIRST in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD (besides US)!! _o/

The only problem: two people in the US were offering more than double that, and a big intention of Project Bitcoin is getting to that house fast. That was now rubbing up against the other intention of making only international transactions. I didn't know what to do?

More then double! I feel very lucky!

Now it sounds like an even better deal!!

I can wait to see the wallets with my customizations!

Thank you! May the house come to you soon!!
bitcoincito (OP)

Activity: 66

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 04:49:35 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2014, 04:10:11 PM by bitcoincito

Just FYI, I was going to inquire about ording 4 of them with Sonic characters on them, but got too distracted and lost track of this thread. Oh well. Still thinking what I could possibly sell later. Alas, coming from a family situation similar to the OP's and Phinn's (family came to this county when I was 10, with only $300 to our name), I don't have a lot of valuables or heirlooms in my posession. If you don't count my Sonic the Hedgehog collection, likely worth tens of thousands of dollars... Tongue

Rassah, crazy how much so many here have in common Smiley I don't have a Sonic the Hedgehog collection, but I do have a giraffe collection. It is unquestionably not worth tens of thousands of dollars - although if someone made the offer I wouldn't sell it. Most of them came from a collection my grandfather started years ago.

Re: the wallets, thanks for thinking of us. Let me know if you think of something to sell. I've still got the .2726 btc, and I'm looking for the right next transaction!!

Happy weekend,
Bitcoincito
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 05:42:40 AM

Maybe somebody owns a giraffe petting zoo and can offer rides.  Grin

bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 04:13:16 PM

Eduarda, seriously a pleasure to meet you, and I hope the wallets are amazing. I can't wait to get a picture or video of you with them if you don't mind. And hopefully you got an awesome deal. We'll see how much you love the wallets. But I have faith in Phinnaeus Gage and company to deliver. They've been doing it for the bitcoin community for quite a while! Let's stay in touch.

Now about that .2726 btc I have to spend....? If anyone has any ideas, let me know!

Sorry for my late update here.

I'm very honored to be part of this project and very happy to be the FIRST in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD (besides US)!! _o/

The only problem: two people in the US were offering more than double that, and a big intention of Project Bitcoin is getting to that house fast. That was now rubbing up against the other intention of making only international transactions. I didn't know what to do?

More then double! I feel very lucky!

Now it sounds like an even better deal!!

I can wait to see the wallets with my customizations!

Thank you! May the house come to you soon!!
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:32:40 PM

It would be a terrible idea for someone to offer giraffe rides... because then I'd use the 272mBTC to buy a giraffe ride for myself, wouldn't sell anything, and then what of the project. Alligator rides on the other hand...

Maybe somebody owns a giraffe petting zoo and can offer rides.  Grin

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 06:52:32 PM

I did read a thread where there's a coonass who has his Caddy snowed in Louisiana that may be interested in alligator rides.  Grin
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:19:18 PM

This is the updated blog about transaction #5 with Casascius. You can also find it here: http://www.projectbitcoin.com/1/post/2014/01/sandcastles-and-casascius-coins.html

When I was about five years old, I believed I could build a sandcastle that was structurally sound enough to live in. So every weekend I would beg my parents to take me to the beach, which was just a few minutes from our house.

One day, as my mother read a magazine nearby, I built a castle that not only withstood the onslaught of the waves, but that also had enough room for me to sit, lay down, and even squat inside it. I was so proud of myself, and I imagined it was the best sandcastle ever built. Then, with me still inside, the castle caved in....

It's difficult to describe what it's like to have a huge castle of sand fall on me. It's part disorienting, part suffocating, and part really heavy. I could wiggle my arms and legs just barely, and my mouth, nose, and eyes were filled with sand.  

It's also difficult to explain the moment three people who didn't know me - and who would never know me - extracted me from that pile, I was staring at three faces... each responsible for me being able to take even one more breath... and then they were gone.

What I learned that day - the day all the sand fell in - is that for as long as we are alive, the right people come into our lives at the right time. It's just our job to recognize those people, and to honor them as best we can.
I made the sale for the custom leather bitcoin wallets more than a week ago. Yet it took until today for me to buy something with the .2726 bitcoins I'd earned. The reason for the delay: I'd received offers for random electronics, household item, and sporting equipment - but none of it felt.... right.

Project Bitcoin can't just be about trading whatever I find, and making as much money as possible off each transaction. That would be a waste of all of our time. For this project to work, each transaction must show off something about the bitcoin community and about the people who make it real. That is the only possible road to the house.

So on Monday, I closed my eyes and asked myself a simple question: If I could make a purchase from anyone in the world, who would it be? This doesn't happen often, but I actually heard the response: Casascius.

For those who don't know, Casascius (otherwise known as Mike Caldwell) has been a prolific contributor to the bitcoin community since 2010. In 2011, he began selling Casascius coins - metal real-world coins that contain within them an embedded slip of paper with digital Bitcoin value. His coins quickly became the "official" unofficial bitcoin collectible, and have become even more prized since sales of the 2013 coins were suspended in November.

Perhaps there are two principal reasons people seem to value Mike's coins so much. The first is that they are intricate and stunning coins made of precious metals that seem to reflect the beauty and possibility of bitcoin. Then second is that people have trusted Mike to handle many thousands of their bitcoins... he is a pillar in the bitcoin community who has earned that trust.  

In my email to Mike, I asked if he'd be interested in selling me anything for the .2726 bitcoins I'd earned in the first four transactions. I didn't expect a response. I've been more or less anonymous in the bitcoin community - just a guy wanting to make a contribution in the only way he knows how (adventure!).

Mike got back to me in ten minutes...

He said he'd love to be a part of the project, and offered two silver .1 btc 2013 Casascius rounds for the .2726 bitcoins. The coins are made of 7.5 ounces of finally crafted silver and hold .1 btc on them. I accepted the offer without hesitation!

I knew it was an amazing value. But much more importantly, the coins seem to be part of an evolving story about this project. It's a story about currency changing shape...

A central bank issued (bit)coin was the center of the first two transactions. It was an important start to the project, for me, because it represented the transition from fiat currency (dollars, euros, soles, etc.) to bitcoin. The next two transactions centered around 4 custom-made bitcoin wallets that, for me, extended the metaphor. Now, our fifth transaction moves into the soul of bitcoin, two Casascius coins that are a part of a print that has only ever been purchased with bitcoin (Mike requires it), and that have bitcoin embedded within them!

So that's it! I am now the owner of the two Casascius coins... and I wish I could keep them. I've been looking at these beautiful coins online for more than a year, but I've never possessed one. But I am also excited to pass them along - to find a buyer for these coins and see if - as more transactions happen - we can't tell more stories about the people all over the world who make the bitcoin community tick, and in the process get to that house.

In the meantime, I want to extend my gratitude to Casascius for making the fifth transaction with me in Project Bitcoin. The right people always come into our lives at the right times. I've believed that for a long time now... and again it's proven to be true!

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 01:21:03 AM

Just stopping by to bump this thread. Here's to hoping that Bees Brothers could somehow enter into the mix, perhaps.

~TMIBTCITW
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:58:46 PM
Last edit: February 04, 2014, 07:20:15 AM by bitcoincito

Just wanted to express another thanks to the BitcoinTalk community for all the love and support I've gotten via PM and email. Also, Phinnaeus, yes I'm in touch with the Bees Brothers. Excited to figure out a future transaction with them. The Casascius coins must go to someone international, as they were purchased from Casascius in Utah - the same state as the Bees Brothers!

bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 08:10:25 PM

Casascius, really an honor and a pleasure to have you participate in this project. I just got the .1 btc silver Casascius rounds! So excited that I almost ripped the envelope in half. Pictures of the envelope in shreds to come (I even caught that part on video, I think)!

- the coins!

Transaction #5 is now officially complete. Excited to soon send these to a buyer for our sixth transaction!

JeoTheSworn

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 11:59:29 PM

Hello every1, nor sure if this is the right spot to ask and feel free to redirect me, but is anyone selling Casascius items? ^^

Cheers~
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 07:08:05 AM
Last edit: February 04, 2014, 07:20:02 AM by bitcoincito

I am pasting below the blog entry about transaction #6 with BitcoinTalk user domob. You can also view it here: http://www.projectbitcoin.com/1/post/2014/02/one-bitcoin-one-house-one-dream.html. Hope you enjoy it. Thank you for living and creating this bitcoin dream with me!

One Bitcoin, One House, One Dream

I don't remember ever really being a kid. I remember building sandcastles at the beach, rough housing with friends, and playing baseball with my brother... but those memories are more an aberration than the norm.

What I remember most was being focused. Like a lot of people, I saw some scary stuff early on, but I learned quickly that it was possible to close my eyes, imagine a different world, and do things to help create the world I preferred to live in.

There are many good things about being a dreamer. I've been lucky enough to take some amazing adventures in my life, and hopefully I've been of service to some people in the process. But perhaps one of the hardest lessons for me to learn has been that I can't just live for the moments that don't yet exist...

I must also live for the moments that are here, now. It is those moments that comprise our lives. It is those moments that create the dream. So in the past few years, moments that I once took for granted like dancing like it's 1999 or toasts to little accomplishments have become important.

That's why I'm excited to reflect today on an achievement for Project Bitcoin that is beyond amazing to me: Today - just 23 days after the project began - we have turned a $0.35 Peruvian coin into 1 bitcoin worth 2400 times as much. How strange is that!

These first 23 days of Project Bitcoin have been... a dream. I've had the opportunity to get to know and transact with a metal worker, a leather worker, three computer scientists, and Casascius. Our transactions have spanned three continents, moving from Peru to England to the US to Brazil to the US again and, as of today, to Austria!

These first six transactions have also happened without a single article written about Project Bitcoin (that I'm aware of). They have happened because people in the bitcoin community have become interested in the story we are telling, and shared it with others in the bitcoin community.

My hope for this project, before it began, was that within each transaction, stories and potential of the bitcoin community would emerge. Six transactions later, I humbly submit that I am beginning to learn about the heart of our community.

Daniel Kraft is a part of that heart. He's the guy with whom I had the opportunity to do lucky transaction #5. He's now the owner of two 2013 silver Casascius coins that he purchased for one meaningful bitcoin. His transaction with Project Bitcoin is just another of many contributions he's made to the bitcoin and crypto-currency communities.  

Daniel, like three of the five others I've transacted with, is a computer scientist devoting his time to the crypto-currency dream (so far it's been all computer scientists and artisans I've transacted with. A trend?). He's been involved with bitcoin since 2011, and is now the developer and operator of NameID, working on issues of online identity in cryptocoins.

It turns out that Daniel and I have a lot in common - there's the obvious: bitcoin, technology, community. But it also turns out that we're both newlyweds hoping that our good work in the world might turn into a nice house sometime soon. The dream...

No... the dream is each moment, each inspiring conversation, each transaction that honors us... that honors bitcoin. I can't believe I'm living the dream!

bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:41:01 AM

JeoTheSworn, I already sold the Casascius coins for 1 btc as part of transaction #6. If you're interested in selling something extraordinary and meaningful for 1 bitcoin, let me know. I'm excited about transaction #7!

Hello every1, nor sure if this is the right spot to ask and feel free to redirect me, but is anyone selling Casascius items? ^^

Cheers~
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 06:28:00 AM
Last edit: February 07, 2014, 05:31:05 AM by TheButterZone

The violin I played professionally - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=240326.0 - should be 1 BTC including USPS Priority, insurance and signature confirmation, restricted delivery.

ETA: Ticker added because every single time I quote a floated price, all the markets crash like a NASCAR race.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 11:20:12 AM

1/3/14 UPDATE: My sixth transaction is complete. I have sold to .1 btc. 2012 silver round Casascius coins to BitcoinTalk user Domob for 1 bitcoin. This is a huge milestone in for the project. It took 23 days and 6 transactions to turn a $0.35 Peruvian coin into a bitcoin. In the process, I've had the opportunity to get to know and transact with amazing members of the bitcoin community from Peru, Brazil, the US (twice), England, and now Austria. The blog entry about transaction #6 is available here: http://www.projectbitcoin.com/1/post/2014/02/one-bitcoin-one-house-one-dream.html

1/29/14 UPDATE: My fifth transaction is complete!

It seems there is a typo.
I believe, the first line should be 2/3/14 instead..  Smiley
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 07:09:44 PM

Sonny, thanks for catching that typo. **fixed**!

1/3/14 UPDATE: My sixth transaction is complete. I have sold to .1 btc. 2012 silver round Casascius coins to BitcoinTalk user Domob for 1 bitcoin. This is a huge milestone in for the project. It took 23 days and 6 transactions to turn a $0.35 Peruvian coin into a bitcoin. In the process, I've had the opportunity to get to know and transact with amazing members of the bitcoin community from Peru, Brazil, the US (twice), England, and now Austria. The blog entry about transaction #6 is available here: http://www.projectbitcoin.com/1/post/2014/02/one-bitcoin-one-house-one-dream.html

1/29/14 UPDATE: My fifth transaction is complete!

It seems there is a typo.
I believe, the first line should be 2/3/14 instead..  Smiley
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 04:55:26 AM

The violin I played professionally - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=240326.0 - should be 1 BTC including USPS Priority, insurance and signature confirmation, restricted delivery.

This is interesting. While I don't play violin, I play several other instruments. A new one would be fun. And I was wondering if there might be a way for me to join in this project. I don't know nuttin 'bout valuing violins, but I guess I can trust a fellow bitcoiner on their assesment (famous last words Smiley

If ButterZone would be willing to charge you a bit less than 1.0, I'd be willing to buy it from you for a bit more than 1.0.

Butter realizes most of what s/he wants, my wife chastises me for getting yet another musical instrument, and your project increases slightly in value in the process. Something to ponder...

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2014, 05:33:38 AM

Sorry, the market crashed yet again to invalidate my quoted float price.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 12:47:03 PM

Sonny, thanks for catching that typo. **fixed**!

No problem. Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: