Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 07:47:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 min left in Bitcoin Painting Auction! CoinDesk calls it #1 Bitcoin Art Piece  (Read 11223 times)
bitcoincito (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 07:21:31 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2014, 04:49:38 PM by bitcoincito

jbreher, Thanks for the offer! Would love for you to be a part of the project, and you offered an innovative win-win-win solution! It looks like TheButterZone is no longer making that offer due to the decline in bitcoin, so it's not going to work.

I would be interested in doing another transaction with you in the future, though, and learning about what got you into the bitcoin community, as well as what you think the promise of bitcoin is Smiley Also, where are you from?

Warmest,
Bitcoincito

The violin I played professionally - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=240326.0 - should be 1 BTC including USPS Priority, insurance and signature confirmation, restricted delivery.

This is interesting. While I don't play violin, I play several other instruments. A new one would be fun. And I was wondering if there might be a way for me to join in this project. I don't know nuttin 'bout valuing violins, but I guess I can trust a fellow bitcoiner on their assesment (famous last words Smiley

If ButterZone would be willing to charge you a bit less than 1.0, I'd be willing to buy it from you for a bit more than 1.0.

Butter realizes most of what s/he wants, my wife chastises me for getting yet another musical instrument, and your project increases slightly in value in the process. Something to ponder...
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2014, 10:46:57 PM

724/825=currently ~12% decline relative to time of float quote.

Who are those questions for?

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 02:08:58 AM

TheButterZone, thanks for the correction. Looks like the drop got a little worse today too. Perhaps the Mt. Gox debacle?

As for my general questions about BTC - learning about what got you into the bitcoin community, as well as what you think the promise of bitcoin is. Also, where are you from? - they were a reply to jbreher, but it also applies to you or anyone else in the bitcoin community. This project, at its essence, is about learning from, interacting, and transacting with community members around the world.

I appreciate your earlier offer Smiley The general problem with offers of items with a relatively fixed value is that unless we have a buyer like jbreher, it's difficult to figure out how to support the project in increasing in value. In a sense, the project needs to have items, experiences, etc. with flexible value so as to allow me to buy at one price and find a buyer who values it at a different price OR it needs to be something (like the first coin) that I can do something to add a lot of value to it. In the case of the coin, I brought it to a metal worker and he etched the bitcoin logo into it, increasing its perceived value significantly.

Hope your Friday has been wonderful!

724/825=currently ~12% decline relative to time of float quote.

Who are those questions for?
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 06:07:05 PM

I understand TheButterZone would like to receive $800 for the violin. No prob. Maybe tomorrow, bitcoin will shoot back up to $1200. TheButterZone could sell to you for 0.67, I could buy for 1.33, and we all score. (well, I'd be paying twice as much for an $800 violin, but it would be associated with this project). If not, c'est la vie. Maybe there will come another chance for me in this project.

I got into bitcoin because I have loathed the central banking system since I started learning the way the world really works - back in '95 or so. As soon as a co-worker gave me a three-sentence introduction, I was all over it. Starting from 'there's no way this can really work', to 'gotta get me some' in about a week of sleepless nonstop study.

I'm in the USA.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:43:16 PM

Wow, this is too cool. I really hope you make it all the way to the house!
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:03:56 AM

jbreher, if TheButterZone was down for your offer, I'd happy to it... but it looks like we have another problem. One of the rules of the project is that all transactions must be international. This is especially important, because hopefully we're showing off the capacity of bitcoin to be transacted across borders without the need for fiat. I believe TheButterZone is from the US, as are you.... so two transactions back to back from the same country won't work.

The last transaction was with BitcoinTalk user Domob who is from Austria. So if I can make a purchase from someone internationally, I'd be happy to sell to you in the US! I love your story about learning about bitcoin. While most people seem to have been slow to come to it... it took you a week of sleepless study to make the move. I wish I'd been so fast!!

Look forward to doing a transaction a some point if it's in the cards!!

Warmest,
Bitcoincito

I understand TheButterZone would like to receive $800 for the violin. No prob. Maybe tomorrow, bitcoin will shoot back up to $1200. TheButterZone could sell to you for 0.67, I could buy for 1.33, and we all score. (well, I'd be paying twice as much for an $800 violin, but it would be associated with this project). If not, c'est la vie. Maybe there will come another chance for me in this project.

I got into bitcoin because I have loathed the central banking system since I started learning the way the world really works - back in '95 or so. As soon as a co-worker gave me a three-sentence introduction, I was all over it. Starting from 'there's no way this can really work', to 'gotta get me some' in about a week of sleepless nonstop study.

I'm in the USA.
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:21:53 PM

cdog, thanks for the love. I really appreciate your support.

One of the things I love about this project is that I get the house only if the project honors and serves the community. Value must be created for the bitcoin community and those who transact with me first. I hope that's what we're doing. Still looking for the right 7th transaction though!

Wow, this is too cool. I really hope you make it all the way to the house!
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:53:40 PM

Fair enough. Watching.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 09:22:07 PM

Later on, I have a MeshDynamics MD4350-AAIx WiFi mesh access point (400-500m range) for sale. I wonder if anyone would want such a thing, and for how much (and if I can't sell if from US, I'm willing to drive up to and ship it from Canada)
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 06:20:55 AM

Rassah, Thanks for the offer for later. How did you ever get your hands on one of those things?

Later on, I have a MeshDynamics MD4350-AAIx WiFi mesh access point (400-500m range) for sale. I wonder if anyone would want such a thing, and for how much (and if I can't sell if from US, I'm willing to drive up to and ship it from Canada)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 06:34:56 PM

Rassah, Thanks for the offer for later. How did you ever get your hands on one of those things?

Uh... I'm into mesh networking?... >.>
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 10:13:45 PM

Then I guess it all makes sense  Grin

Uh... I'm into mesh networking?... >.>
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 02:32:38 AM

This is the blog entry description of transaction #7 for Project Bitcoin. A picture of the Paul Revere-owned statue is below. If you're interested in buying it, PM me or reply to the thread. Also, huge thanks and appreciate to the support of the bitcoin community with this project!

Bitcoin Meets Paul Revere

In 1775, a Massachusetts silversmith named Paul Revere was given notice of the British Army's decision to disarm American colonist rebels and imprison their leaders.

What happened next is an oft-told American tale: Paul Revere risked his life and took a "Midnight Ride" through enemy patrols to warn families and militiamen of the British Army's advance.

The result: his actions arguably saved the militia leaders' lives and allowed them to beat back the advancement of the British troops.

Why am I telling this story? Well, now, after completing Project Bitcoin's seventh transaction, I am the proud - albeit temporary - owner of a statue once owned by Paul Revere himself (certificate of authenticity included).

The statue is solid bronze, about two feet tall, and weighs about 40 pounds. It is an exquisite, original, handmade piece depicting a man thrusting a woman into the air, while standing atop another man. The metaphors for the statue are numerous... but I'll leave them up to you to decipher.

Michael S. - an American entrepreneur and collector currently living in Amsterdam - made the transaction with me. The cost: the one bitcoin that I earned on the sale of the Casascius coins to Daniel from Austria (transaction #6).  

When I asked Michael why he wanted to sell the Paul Revere statue to me, he answered "For years I've looked at that statue and wondered what its purpose was - more than being a historical art piece. When I read about your project, I finally understood...."

He paused, somewhat dramatically. I scooted to the edge of my chair and waited.

"Two hundred and thirty-five years ago, Paul Revere risked his life to take a ride. He rode for democracy, freedom, separation of powers, and even the right to have a currency unregulated by ruling England [see the Currency Act, 1765]...

"The promise of bitcoin isn't so different from the promise of that revolution. It's about a currency unattached to political and economic powers that sometimes use and sometimes misuse currency. It's about a currency of the people - one that simplifies our transactions and removes unnecessary middlemen.

"For me, with this transaction, I get to earn my first bitcoin after months of sitting on the fence, thrust a piece of Paul Revere's magic into the bitcoin revolution, and help move forward a project that - I believe - is helping to tell the real story of bitcoin... the story of the people involved."

I paused for a minute after Michael finished. I let his words seep in, and I understood that this is an important transaction for Project Bitcoin. Until now, all six transactions have been items created for bitcoin - they've told the story of the future promise of bitcoin. But they haven't told the story of the historical roots of that promise.  

Michael reminded me that value of bitcoin may be revolutionary, but it isn't new. Whether the American revolution or so many other revolutions large and small, people have sought to disentangle currency from political and economic systems before. People have sought to tear down the barriers of trade and ownership before. There is precedent for bitcoin. And with this seventh transaction, I have the opportunity to honor that precedent!

Now, of course, I have new questions: Who will be the next owner of this amazing, beautiful, original, and historic new piece of the bitcoin story? What will his or her story be? And how close will that transaction move me to the ultimate destination of that house....?

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 03:52:58 AM

http://kieranhealy.org/blog/archives/2013/06/09/using-metadata-to-find-paul-revere/

What a nice picture! The analytical engine has arranged everyone neatly, picking out clusters of individuals and also showing both peripheral individuals and—more intriguingly—people who seem to bridge various groups in ways that might perhaps be relevant to national security. Look at that person right in the middle there. Zoom in if you wish. He seems to bridge several groups in an unusual (though perhaps not unique) way. His name is Paul Revere.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 04:50:44 PM

Hmmm... maybe the fact that I stumbled onto Paul Revere's solid bronze statue as part of transaction #7 with Project Bitcoin isn't so surprising after all!

http://kieranhealy.org/blog/archives/2013/06/09/using-metadata-to-find-paul-revere/

What a nice picture! The analytical engine has arranged everyone neatly, picking out clusters of individuals and also showing both peripheral individuals and—more intriguingly—people who seem to bridge various groups in ways that might perhaps be relevant to national security. Look at that person right in the middle there. Zoom in if you wish. He seems to bridge several groups in an unusual (though perhaps not unique) way. His name is Paul Revere.
BitcoinSteve

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 04:25:45 AM

maybe not a house but a shack with the btc prices plummeting?

DRK: XtijFQdCcPpKXmtjKF4xdpy6vCvJTymfzw

BTC: 1LbPHiUfegA3Xjfg4YJkJqLNpaRWDcRPay
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 05:26:32 PM
Last edit: March 01, 2014, 03:10:30 AM by bitcoincito

maybe not a house but a shack with the btc prices plummeting?

Grin I'm actually fine with the decline in BTC value relative to most fiat since the beginning of this Project Bitcoin. One of my own commitments was to make these transactions in BTC, regardless of where BTC stood relative to fiat markets. I understood that there was a good chance - especially after the steep rise in value relative to fiat October through December - that there was a good chance of a market correction.

While I couldn't have forecasted the projects of Mt. Gox, transaction malleability, Silk Road 2, and Charlie, I understood that any decline in value - while not desired - might serve to strengthen the integrity of the project. After all, my purpose wasn't to sit on bitcoin and get a house. It was to get a house as the result of dozens of international transactions that tell the story of the bitcoin community.

I am okay with the prospect of Project Bitcoin lengthening - if need be - as a result of currency fluctuations. I have a commitment to see it through... and to make transactions with amazing people in the bitcoin community who believe in the long-term integrity of bitcoin.

Also, it should be noted that the downturn hasn't really affected me much so far. I have an authentic, solid bronze, 40 lb. Paul Revere-owned statue is a crazy-amazing collectible as well as a wonderful commentary on bitcoin. Hopefully I'll make a deal for it to keep Project Bitcoin headed in the right direction - major market corrections or not.

domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1166

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 04:49:52 PM

After some delay at the customs, I finally got my Casascius coins!  They are really cool, and also my wife (who is a little sceptical every time I mention Bitcoin) finds them beautiful. Wink  Here they are:

I'm glad I can be a part of your Project Bitcoin, thanks!

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:47:24 PM

domob/Daniel, it's been awesome getting to know you and your story, and I'm excited the coins finally got through customs. I was worried for a bit there!

Also, as a general thought: I know that there are a lot of things more important on people's minds right now - with the Gox debacle and all, but my hope is that Project Bitcoin can continue to show off the positive side of bitcoin. Karpeles has gotten enough attention. There are so many amazing people that make up the bitcoin community whose stories are a. a lot more interesting, and b. deserve to be shown.

Bitcoin is much bigger than all the negative press its gotten recently, and it's important that our community, together, continue to strive to tell the bigger, more inspiring, and ultimately more true story of bitcoin. Hope Project Bitcoin is doing it's small part in that.

After some delay at the customs, I finally got my Casascius coins!  They are really cool, and also my wife (who is a little sceptical every time I mention Bitcoin) finds them beautiful. Wink  Here they are:

I'm glad I can be a part of your Project Bitcoin, thanks!
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 03:09:26 AM

We've had some amazing offers on the Paul Revere statue, but perhaps due to the Mt. Gox debacle, none of closed yet. If you're interested in being a part of Project Bitcoin with Transaction #7, Perhaps you might be interested in owning an authentic Paul Revere owned statue.  It is solid bronze, about two feet tall, and sits below in a picture. I have been told by collectors that it has a very high value, but what's most important to me is to sell it to the right person for an amount that supports this project in continuing to advance and tell an amazing story about the people with whom I transact in the bitcoin community. Let me know!

Warmest,
Bitcoincito/Daniel

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: