Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 03:53:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin part of the coming mark of the beast?  (Read 7465 times)
Lloydie

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 01:22:39 PM

Steve - for a professed alcoholic who posts insane things about naming his future baby "Bitcoin" while web surfing in a drunken stupor, you might want to tone down the "Representing Christianity" schtick.  The two don't go together very well, and will only encourage those who dislike Christians to have another reason to call them "Hypocrites".   Shhhhh.

As for Bitchick:  you say you enjoy a "good debate" but I am afraid your style of debate is very childlike.  I used to be like you.  I went to Bible College and stood on street corners, full of starry-eyed love, "just sharing my faith" with the unsaved.  What I didn't grasp is that I was coming across like a total nutjob.  And while I (and no doubt you) viewed the "unsaved" as blind fools, they in fact were viewing me as exactly that.  And while that may make you feel empowered, it in fact hurts your case, and reduces your ability to bring anyone to believing faith.  Much of what you say is trite, as you aptly pointed out (in sarcasm).  But it is.  You need to remember you are discussing things with intellectuals here.  At least that is the demographic they are coming from.  You cannot convince an intellectual with paragraphs of unicorn and rainbows chatter.  And that is exactly how they see your words.  If you want to convince an opposing party of your viewpoint, you need to speak in a language that they can understand and respect.  Not repeatedly brag about how you have the inside scoop, and because you and Jesus are best buds, you're the only one with "wisdom" and "eyesight" to see that what you're saying is right.  You're wasting your energy, because you are not engaging these people in a manner that is going to result in a changed viewpoint. 

This is very true hence why "stealth mode" is required. Be sheep in wolves clothing and all that.

The darkness did not understand the light. It never will. One can only hope that some will see the world as it truly is.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 01:23:54 PM

What's a serpent?

Lloydie

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 01:25:42 PM

What's a serpent?
A snake like creature with legs. After the fall, it's legs were removed.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 04:17:00 PM

As for Bitchick:  you say you enjoy a "good debate" but I am afraid your style of debate is very childlike.  I used to be like you.  I went to Bible College and stood on street corners, full of starry-eyed love, "just sharing my faith" with the unsaved.  What I didn't grasp is that I was coming across like a total nutjob.  And while I (and no doubt you) viewed the "unsaved" as blind fools, they in fact were viewing me as exactly that.  And while that may make you feel empowered, it in fact hurts your case, and reduces your ability to bring anyone to believing faith.  Much of what you say is trite, as you aptly pointed out (in sarcasm).  But it is.  You need to remember you are discussing things with intellectuals here.  At least that is the demographic they are coming from.  You cannot convince an intellectual with paragraphs of unicorn and rainbows chatter.  And that is exactly how they see your words.  If you want to convince an opposing party of your viewpoint, you need to speak in a language that they can understand and respect.  Not repeatedly brag about how you have the inside scoop, and because you and Jesus are best buds, you're the only one with "wisdom" and "eyesight" to see that what you're saying is right.  You're wasting your energy, because you are not engaging these people in a manner that is going to result in a changed viewpoint.  

You are probably right. I have posted on several boards in the past and tried to get into "intellectual" discussions here but truth be told my IQ probably is much lower than most here for sure, even though mine is well above average.  My husband has a pretty high IQ and I have a hard time following him sometimes. There have been studies that show that it is hard to have a meaningful discussion with anyone that is beyond 30 IQ points so I am probably pushing it on this board! Wink 

That said, thankfully Jesus did not come just for the geniuses.  In fact, He says that the humble and low in spirit are the ones that he listens too.  I guess I am bold in my relationship with Him because that is one area I am bold about and feel certain of in this crazy messed up world.  Also, I think all Christians appear like "nutjobs" to most non-Christians.  And if they don't maybe their faith has been watered down too much?

At this point I am at a loss for words about the barcode issue.  I guess it really is a non-issue anyway, just something I find really interesting.  I just thought perhaps it would cause some to step back and think that there may be something to it.  

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Johnny Bitcoinseed

Activity: 154

Johnny Bitcoinseed

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 07:11:47 PM

I like cults that worship ugly torture methods such as nailing people to two boards then hoisted into the air.

Or as someone once said:

Banks and governments are like religions: They propose protection and paradise until you graciously decline their offers, at which point they threaten you with scorched earth and damnation.

Sincerely I am, Johnny BitcoinSeed .com
MrMoth

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:30:01 PM

If you're constantly on the lookout for signs, everything starts to look like a sign.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4606
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:31:38 PM

As for Bitchick:  you say you enjoy a "good debate" but I am afraid your style of debate is very childlike.  I used to be like you.  I went to Bible College and stood on street corners, full of starry-eyed love, "just sharing my faith" with the unsaved.  What I didn't grasp is that I was coming across like a total nutjob.  And while I (and no doubt you) viewed the "unsaved" as blind fools, they in fact were viewing me as exactly that.  And while that may make you feel empowered, it in fact hurts your case, and reduces your ability to bring anyone to believing faith.  Much of what you say is trite, as you aptly pointed out (in sarcasm).  But it is.  You need to remember you are discussing things with intellectuals here.  At least that is the demographic they are coming from.  You cannot convince an intellectual with paragraphs of unicorn and rainbows chatter.  And that is exactly how they see your words.  If you want to convince an opposing party of your viewpoint, you need to speak in a language that they can understand and respect.  Not repeatedly brag about how you have the inside scoop, and because you and Jesus are best buds, you're the only one with "wisdom" and "eyesight" to see that what you're saying is right.  You're wasting your energy, because you are not engaging these people in a manner that is going to result in a changed viewpoint.  

You are probably right. I have posted on several boards in the past and tried to get into "intellectual" discussions here but truth be told my IQ probably is much lower than most here for sure, even though mine is well above average.  My husband has a pretty high IQ and I have a hard time following him sometimes. There have been studies that show that it is hard to have a meaningful discussion with anyone that is beyond 30 IQ points so I am probably pushing it on this board! Wink 

That said, thankfully Jesus did not come just for the geniuses.  In fact, He says that the humble and low in spirit are the ones that he listens too.  I guess I am bold in my relationship with Him because that is one area I am bold about and feel certain of in this crazy messed up world.  Also, I think all Christians appear like "nutjobs" to most non-Christians.  And if they don't maybe their faith has been watered down too much?

At this point I am at a loss for words about the barcode issue.  I guess it really is a non-issue anyway, just something I find really interesting.  I just thought perhaps it would cause some to step back and think that there may be something to it.  

You two are probably never going to convince the likes of me that Jesus is the Lord the all the bible stuff.  It's not a matter of IQ as much as patterns of thought (though there is probably a correlation between these two things.)

What you can do is demonstrate that Christians are all over the board in terms of their attitudes, actions, activities, etc, and that it is unfair and incorrect to associate all Christians with abortion clinic bombers, people who paint crosses on the gun barrels of their tanks as they kill Iraqis, and that sort of thing.  Of course a lot of us have enough experience to know that this is the case, but even so I find it especially pleasing to see a devout person who is also a very good person.  Fortunately I live amonst a lot of them.

As for things like the barcode deal (which I've not looking into a whole lot) I find such things delightful and fun to think about and look for explanations for, but I don't take them to seriously.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 08:47:35 PM

You are all wrong and will be feasted upon by the ELDER ONES!

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtan"
(In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu lies dreaming.)

The Host and the Worshippers answer this call:

"Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn"
(Yes! Yes! Cthulhu dreams!)

"Cthulhu R'lyeh fhtagn"
(Cthulhu dreams in R'lyeh)

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Lloydie

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:42:43 PM

I know you are highly intelligent. However, unfortunately people don't come to god because of logic but because of understanding and compassion. The less of the former tends to work well for me.

Also the low iq accusations, I suspect, could simply be a function of your username bitchick. And not what you write. Change it to Madam M or something like that, and you might get a different reaction.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:59:07 PM

I know you are highly intelligent. However, unfortunately people don't come to god because of logic but because of understanding and compassion. The less of the former tends to work well for me.

Also the low iq accusations, I suspect, could simply be a function of your username bitchick. And not what you write. Change it to Madam M or something like that, and you might get a different reaction.

If we have more intelligence than anyone else in the world but don't have love, we are nothing. Smiley

I thought I would have fun with being one of the few females on the board, hence my "BitChick" name.  Then husband joined.  He goes by "BitChicksHusband" as a bit of a joke.

I am actually a blond which probably causes me some deep rooted issues of being called a "dumb blond" at times.  I can be gullible too which does not always help either. 

But I digress, I think knowing our place in this world is not a bad thing.  This might sound crazy, but I am actually thankful that I am not more intelligent than I am.  Living with someone that could be considered a "genius" or close to one has been eye opening for me.  It is often hard and entirely frustrating for really smart people to live in a world of idiots.  Wink  It can be lonely too.  Not everyone understands what it is like, so I have sympathy for the brains out there.  But I do see intelligence as a stumbling block to knowing God for some though.  It seems that it can bring a bit of pride and almost a feeling of knowing more than God, or even believing somehow that there is not a God at all which is a problem.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Lloydie

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 12:11:07 AM

Well, logically, one cannot prove or disprove the existence of god. I have come to believe that life could be a test of each person's compassion. Man's intelligence would be meaningless to someone who created the building blocks of physical matter.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 12:38:14 AM

What's a serpent?

Oh yes animals were punished with 4 legs, serpent had all removed.

arcke

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 12:43:13 AM

Well, logically, one cannot prove or disprove the existence of god. I have come to believe that life could be a test of each person's compassion. Man's intelligence would be meaningless to someone who created the building blocks of physical matter.

It's a game. When you die you get to choose a new character or ghosthack metaphysically for a while. Nothing spectacular.
Lloydie

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 12:52:31 AM

What's a serpent?

Explain birds then. And fish.  Grin
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 01:53:02 AM

What's a serpent?

But the Christian god is a LOVING god, right?

Tongue

Corporations For Crypto
Haidang1796

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 01:54:46 AM

yes it is Grin Grin

LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 02:24:32 AM

OK, does it make any difference whether or not there is an external reality?

Inquiring minds want to know!

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Lloydie

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:33:00 AM

OK, does it make any difference whether or not there is an external reality?

Inquiring minds want to know!

My $.02.

Wink
Only for the individual.  Randomness implies no one is out there and no one cares, which is depressing. Intelligent design implies someone is out there who gives a shit, which is somewhat more hopeful. I choose optimism.
Lloydie

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:35:05 AM

What's a serpent?

Tongue
No, you are right to point out that the Christian God is jealous, vengeful and all that.  We are his playthings.  There is no doubt about that.  He chooses who he wants to love and who he wants to destroy.
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 07:37:04 AM

What's a serpent?

Tongue
No, you are right to point out that the Christian God is jealous, vengeful and all that.  We are his playthings.  There is no doubt about that.  He chooses who he wants to love and who he wants to destroy.

That being the case, he may need counselling and Prozac.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: