Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:50:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Openex hacked but coins recovered  (Read 14259 times)
emu

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

stupidity manager

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:32:43 PM

atm I'm waiting for 10k SKC, they are said to be pending, let's see

if you want your SKC in good hands: SXVBoZJWahdVNZsYqjdF3V25hSWDvNaoDn
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
XCASH
Legendary

Activity: 929
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:42:38 PM

The openEx website currently says

"Please withdraw all coins by 1/15/2014".

After that it's anyone's guess what will happen to them.
r3wt (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:45:44 PM

Jesus your PHP looks pretty risky too bro. Correct me if im wrong.

https://github.com/r3wt/openex/tree/master/pages

to the casual observer, yes it appears pretty insecure. once you try to hack it, then you see the genius of the design.

There is nothing genius about the code, and nothing genius about you.

other than the queries, i'd say its pretty secure.

Your opinion means nothing and is apparently given out without any thought.  That code is some of the worst I've seen in years.  WTF makes total amateurs think they can launch an exchange that's responsible for handling people's money?  Based on that code you're about 5 years of programming experience away from being able to, possibly, code securely enough.  Don't even think about relaunching with anything but a play site.

lets have an example there bud.

Oh I don't know, the topic of this thread you fucking idiot comes to mind.  Also whatever double cancel bug you had that allowed people to gives themselves coins.

And then of course there's always this one:

https://openex.pw/index.php?page=trade&market='';alert('You%20are%20an%20idiot.');

I'm sure you have no idea why that's a problem though.  I don't understand why anyone in this thread is cutting you slack at all.  What you did is the equivalent of opening a bank, taking people's deposits, and then leaving the doors unlocked and the vault wide open.  Your code is the quality of what I made in middle school, and your attitude fits that age range as well.  I'm done with this thread, but a warning for anyone reading it:

Do not, do not, DO NOT use any site built by r3wt that puts any of your property at risk!  His understanding of web security is nonexistent, his code is crap, and his attitude is reckless and irresponsible.

When his next site gets hacked, don't say I didn't tell you so.

hey cock server, the application is extremely secure. it was the server that was compromised. also i didn't write any of the trade engine code, if you want to talk shit, perhaps you want to talk to justin?

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Zeke_Vermillion

Activity: 94

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:07:03 AM

r3wt, thanks for processing my withdrawal request. just putting that on record.
Slingshot

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 02:29:50 AM

to the casual observer, yes it appears pretty insecure. once you try to hack it, then you see the genius of the design.

Your opinion means nothing and is apparently given out without any thought.  That code is some of the worst I've seen in years.  WTF makes total amateurs think they can launch an exchange that's responsible for handling people's money?  Based on that code you're about 5 years of programming experience away from being able to, possibly, code securely enough.  Don't even think about relaunching with anything but a play site.

Do not, do not, DO NOT use any site built by r3wt that puts any of your property at risk!  His understanding of web security is nonexistent, his code is crap, and his attitude is reckless and irresponsible.

+1

Innocent yet foolish Delusions of Grandeur rings a loud bell.

Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware
Millicent

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:54:39 AM

I was hoping things would go well for this exchange since it was open source. but having it open source before security auditing may have given some clue about its insecurity unfortunately. hope you will have better luck next time or at least hire someone reputable to help with security.

also, I was wondering if username/passwords where stolen, or any other coins? was the hack only affecting btc wallet?

0.14203175btc @ 1PFo41TnkogkD1DJWxFwMWc5ShMn1tJxhN

whoever it was only in the server for 6 minutes before i found out.

How long do you think it would take this to ruin your life? 6 seconds?    root@openex #rm -rf /

Whatever you do, don't try to use this server again.  Format and re install whatever your OS of choice is...

Are you using hard iron or in the cloud?  For what you are trying to do I suggest hard iron with a separate firewall (at least 1) located at a secure datacenter with backup.

Start a thread asking about preferred methods of security and layout a plan.  As it's been said before this is no joke and you got WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy lucky.

Plenty of people have offered help, take them up on it.  Find a trusted admin that you can share their insight with and make a plan.  Don't rush to bring this back.  Get it right and implement features slowly and methodically.

Good luck with your venture

BTC ~ 1CX9TMGCv73XLcvckz5RsnHgsHA5fJrL2q
CatCoin

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:21:32 AM

hey cock server, the application is extremely secure.
Based on what?  The fact that you couldn't think of any ways in which it wasn't secure?  Look at your track record and total lack of experience, then consider thinking twice before making statements you can't back up.  You have the technical knowledge of a best buy employee.

it was the server that was compromised. also i didn't write any of the trade engine code
Then how is it, exactly, that you can claim it's secure?

You look worse every time you continue to try to act like you have this under control.  It's painfully obvious that you are completely clueless.
hypes

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 09:54:46 AM

Your opinion means nothing and is apparently given out without any thought.  That code is some of the worst I've seen in years.  WTF makes total amateurs think they can launch an exchange that's responsible for handling people's money?  Based on that code you're about 5 years of programming experience away from being able to, possibly, code securely enough.  Don't even think about relaunching with anything but a play site.

Oh I don't know, the topic of this thread you fucking idiot comes to mind.  Also whatever double cancel bug you had that allowed people to gives themselves coins.

And then of course there's always this one:

https://openex.pw/index.php?page=trade&market='';alert('You%20are%20an%20idiot.');

I'm sure you have no idea why that's a problem though.  I don't understand why anyone in this thread is cutting you slack at all.  What you did is the equivalent of opening a bank, taking people's deposits, and then leaving the doors unlocked and the vault wide open.  Your code is the quality of what I made in middle school, and your attitude fits that age range as well.  I'm done with this thread, but a warning for anyone reading it:

Do not, do not, DO NOT use any site built by r3wt that puts any of your property at risk!  His understanding of web security is nonexistent, his code is crap, and his attitude is reckless and irresponsible.

I'm glad it isn't just me who thought its iffy. This guys already demonstrated XSS. I cba to look at the php again but it does look really open to SQL Injection.

bzyzny

Activity: 274
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:32:57 PM

I'm glad it isn't just me who thought its iffy. This guys already demonstrated XSS. I cba to look at the php again but it does look really open to SQL Injection.

We all underestimated just how "open" OpenEx.PW was, I don't think r3wt meant it so literally. My question is, regardless of his ability to code, didn't he TEST it before launching? Some of these bugs were painfully obvious. Just from using the sites functionality as intended, ppl were getting double credits and such.
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 02:56:35 PM

We all underestimated just how "open" OpenEx.PW was, I don't think r3wt meant it so literally. My question is, regardless of his ability to code, didn't he TEST it before launching? Some of these bugs were painfully obvious. Just from using the sites functionality as intended, ppl were getting double credits and such.

yes we tested. attacker was in and out of the server fucking with the trade engine code. it took us a while to catch on that someone was changing our code besides us.

lessons learned:

hire a server admin

don't use mysql functions and real escape string.

i found a tutorial on devshed that teaches how to use pdo. i've been practicing all morning and i can't believe its so easy. we'll be back as soon as we've addressed the issues with the server and fixed the flaws in the application. though your intent was to humiliate, i thank you for being blatantly honest. you're helping make openex better though you're trying to fud it to death.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
surfer43

Activity: 560

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:47:40 PM

Can you send me my 50 SKC? address in sig  Smiley
kev7112001

Activity: 479

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:34:14 PM

this guy is horrible he asked for a reward my friend helps him by PMing him on what to do it works and he says he figured it out himself bullshit second this guy has made premined coins for people so what a scam artist gascoin lol

MCXNOW MODERATOR
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:48:27 PM

this guy is horrible he asked for a reward my friend helps him by PMing him on what to do it works and he says he figured it out himself bullshit second this guy has made premined coins for people so what a scam artist gascoin lol

bullshit. your friend was trying to get me to give him 400 dollars for basically pming me and telling me to use some recovery program

bzyzny

Activity: 274
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:52:10 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2014, 09:50:31 PM by bzyzny

R3wt, I'm glad that you have learned a lot from this, and I hope your exchange is successful in the future. Its unfortunate that you had to learn at such great expense, but those are the lessons most taken to heart. Some people may be bashing you harder than u deserve, but its true you were not ready to launch a site which handles money. I was not referring to that 6min hack though, but the order cancel, txid-000, and other bugs that where alledgedly there prior to the hack. Did u not test for such scenarios as what would happen if a person tried to sell to them self? Or if copy/paste txid from wallet which includes the -000. All I'm saying is that it was not necessary to try to find these bugs, they occurred from using the site as a normal customer would. Perhaps next time you should have a more thorough  testing period.
kev7112001

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:03:54 PM

bullshit. your friend was trying to get me to give him 400 dollars for basically pming me and telling me to use some recovery program

wow you are crap hope your shit goes down again u and your premined coins lol

MCXNOW MODERATOR
Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:06:24 PM

Your friend's advice isn't worth 4 dollars. Let alone 400. Get a grip.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
kev7112001

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:07:13 PM

what noob you have no idea what your talking about

MCXNOW MODERATOR
kev7112001

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:08:01 PM

u must be apart of his premine scam lol

MCXNOW MODERATOR
kev7112001

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:09:34 PM

atleast i dont try to open a exchange with no coding skills and lose people coins

MCXNOW MODERATOR
Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:09:46 PM

what noob you have no idea what your talking about

Something doesn't go your way, so you trash talk people? If you want to have any credibility on this forum, you might want to consider acting with a little sense of decorum. Just some advice from a "noob".

u must be apart of his premine scam lol

I don't even know him. But your wild accusations are just fantastic.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: