Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:52:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Openex hacked but coins recovered  (Read 14259 times)
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:30:37 AM

Leave him alone guys. Thanks to God nothing rally serious happened and I guess he have learned from this lesson. Instead of mocking him give him some useful advice about OS hardening.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 11:31:13 AM

No mocking and we did.

r3wt (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:34:17 AM

What are you even talking about?  "It won't last long"?  You're welcome to dispute anything I said, but there's nothing to dispute.  

You got in over your head.  That's life.  I respect that you're aiming to pay people back.  Learn from your mistakes and don't do it again.  

i recovered the wallet.dat with foremost and all the coins were still there, which leads me to believe the attacker was a greyhat giving out a lesson to a rookie sysadmin. "aimining to pay people back" i'm readying the transaction as we speak. fyi, i don't write javascript. hired out for most of that.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
cassieheart

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:39:41 AM

Selling my OpenEx shares 21 Available. 0.075 a share. Pm me for more details.
CatCoin

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:42:45 AM

Leave him alone guys. Thanks to God nothing rally serious happened and I guess he have learned from this lesson. Instead of mocking him give him some useful advice about OS hardening.
My OS hardening advice:
Quit while you're ahead before you put more people at risk of losing their money.

The attitude you present here is exactly why people will keep making this mistake, and others will keep losing money because of it.  There is no "it's ok, try harder next time".  This isn't a game anymore... people are losing real money so that kids can "give running an exchange a try".  It isn't funny, and it shouldn't be encouraged to continue.
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:58:24 AM

My OS hardening advice:
Quit while you're ahead before you put more people at risk of losing their money.

The attitude you present here is exactly why people will keep making this mistake, and others will keep losing money because of it.  There is no "it's ok, try harder next time".  This isn't a game anymore... people are losing real money so that kids can "give running an exchange a try".  It isn't funny, and it shouldn't be encouraged to continue.

thanks for the advice but no. i didn't come this far to give up. and stop calling me a kid.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 12:01:06 PM

My OS hardening advice:

thanks for the advice but no. i didn't come this far to give up. and stop calling me a kid.

Jesus kid, how old are you?

Coin_Master

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:05:04 PM

it's my first server, doesn't mean i'm incapable of learning i just don't know because i'm not experienced. maybe i'll find someone who is and hire them to teach me how to properly secure the server.
That in itself is scary.  Security is ongoing, when you say "properly secure the server" you imply that at some point the job is done.  You should not be running a server that has other peoples money stored on it.  My advice would be to get some qualifications first.
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:11:16 PM

it's my first server, doesn't mean i'm incapable of learning i just don't know because i'm not experienced. maybe i'll find someone who is and hire them to teach me how to properly secure the server.
That in itself is scary.  Security is ongoing, when you say "properly secure the server" you imply that at some point the job is done.  You should not be running a server that has other peoples money stored on it.  My advice would be to get some qualifications first.

thanks for your advice. everyone can learn. you are wrong.

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 12:16:56 PM

That in itself is scary.  Security is ongoing, when you say "properly secure the server" you imply that at some point the job is done.  You should not be running a server that has other peoples money stored on it.  My advice would be to get some qualifications first.

Of course. We are all passionate about technology here, but don't learn while holding people's money.

Snail2
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:16:59 PM

I didn't expected such fundamental mistakes with that site as well, but mocking with the site owner is contra productive will not lead anywhere. Your point are valid and I share your concerns but if you point him to some "Top 100 step by step Linux hardening" site that could be more fruitful Smiley.
Coin_Master

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:20:00 PM

Getting qualified is a part of learning, you need to demonstrate that you can apply what you have learned correctly, by passing an examination.
CatCoin

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:23:20 PM

This whole situation is just an elaborate troll, right?  This guy can't be for real.
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:24:15 PM

Getting qualified is learning.  But you need to demonstrate that you can apply what you have learned correctly, by passing an examination.

last time i checked, experience > exams. i was A+ certified @ 17. i fell into drugs, got back into computers and started programming about a year and a half ago. started working on the exchange about 4 months ago.

r3wt (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:24:47 PM

This whole situation is just an elaborate troll, right?  This guy can't be for real.

no man, its very real look at the logs. lets just say i learned a valuable lesson, more than i could possibly convey through the computer.

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 12:27:07 PM

Go to digital ocean and do all their tutorials. It'll cost you a couple bucks. You'll learn almost everything.

Coin_Master

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:27:27 PM

last time i checked, experience > exams
Would you try flying a plane without a license, without taking exams to determine you are capable and competent.  I hope not.
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:28:35 PM

Go to digital ocean and do all their tutorials. It'll cost you a couple bucks. You'll learn almost everything.

thanks for the advice, will do. it looks like the tutorials are all pretty old. are they possibly out of date?

Snail2
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:30:07 PM

There are no "properly secure the server". Securing a server is a cyclic task with continuous risk assessment, fine tuning your systems and admin procedures, searching for vulnerabilities and fixing them. Perhaps you should take a look at ISO 27001.
CatCoin

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:30:36 PM

Getting qualified is learning.  But you need to demonstrate that you can apply what you have learned correctly, by passing an examination.

last time i checked, experience > exams. i was A+ certified @ 17. i fell into drugs, got back into computers and started programming about a year and a half ago. started working on the exchange about 4 months ago.
I'm quoting this so that it lives on forever.

A+ certification + 1 year of supposed programming experience == I'm ready to run a crypto exchange and safeguard peoples' money
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: