Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 10:52:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you merge mine a coin that helps organizations raise funds?
Yes, I would - 46 (33.8%)
No way - 18 (13.2%)
I don't know - 8 (5.9%)
Only if it merges with scrypt - 35 (25.7%)
Only if it merges with SHA256 - 7 (5.1%)
What is merge mining? - 8 (5.9%)
I don't understand the question - 14 (10.3%)
Total Voters: 136

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Pay it Forward! - ☯rgcoin.org Official Thread  (Read 12843 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Orgcoin.org (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 07:04:14 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2014, 04:24:45 PM by Orgcoin.org

Orgcoin died.  Lead developer (isis/nova/a bunch of other names) lost focus/interest.

------------------------

January 2014:

Hello cryptocoiners,

We are starting a new coin who's sole mission is to help organizations, non-profits and worthy causes raise money.  

This is a merge mined coin, so you don't need to stop mining bitcoin or litecoin to earn some ☯rgcoin.

10% of each block is donated to our foundation to be distributed to a selected cause.  
90% of each block is sent to the miner who detected the block.

Each month 100% of our profits are donated to an organization or cause selected by our users.

Is this something that interests you?  Would you like to be invited to the beta test?

Q: Do you guys have a website?
A:  http://www.orgcoin.org/

Q: What is merge-mining?
A: Merge mining is the ability to mine two coins at the same time.  We intend to offer a way to mine ☯rgcoin while simultaneously mining bitcoin OR litecoin.  (We will eventually offer both an SHA256 version and a separate Scrypt version of our coin based upon the same principal of donating to worthy causes but we are starting with scrypt).  Here's the specification for bitcoin merge mining: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Merged_mining_specification

March 2014:

There are some huge changes coming to Orgcoin in the next several months.

Firstly, after careful consideration we have decided to implement a coin cap. The code for the cap will be in our next official release, but will not come into effect until block 1,000,000 which should be sometime in July.

Starting with block 1,000,000 the coins per block will reduce by 1% daily. This will occur over the course of 100 days after which no new coins will be minted. Starting with that same block, the network will enforce a transaction fee of 1% rounded to the nearest ORG. The split will be the same 90/10 split in the miners favor.

The reason for this change is to provide some stability and predictability to the price of the coin long term. It also has the advantage of reducing the rate at which the blockchain grows by some 90%.

- The official cap of the coin is 200,000,000.  (The cap is not permanent).

- For 2015 no new coins will be mined.

During 2015 we will have a vote to determine if new coins should be mined during 2016 and if so how many and at what rate. The voting will run from June until August and will become effective on Jan 1st of the following year. This same voting will occur every year.

The next huge change coming up is that we will be implementing KGW difficulty level adjustments. Again the code will be in the next release and will be activated starting with block 600,000. That should give everyone a month or two to get switched over and another month or so to become.

All of these changes are being made in lieu of the ORG 2.0 that we had discussed previously. At this point I think we've decided that the best use of resources is to keep improving the original Orgcoin rather than attempt a "do over".

We hope you find this announcement exciting!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rokai

Activity: 9

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 07:11:05 PM

This does sound like a worthy cause and gets all that hashing power to 'good' use.

I unfortunately have a pitiful hashrate so not much help but I hope you find some helpful miners.

This also needs some more exposure outside the newbie zone so if anyone can repost somewhere that would be helpful.
Orgcoin.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 07:18:42 PM

We'd be happy to have you, even a small hashrate applied to a noble cause makes sense to us.

Thanks for your support. 

kylekartan

Activity: 34

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 07:25:43 PM

I would appreciate an invite. I always like to give back what I can, hopefully in a way that's meaningful!
UberNifty

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

AltcoinWarrior.com

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 08:26:32 PM

Invite please, if scrypt-based

"Remember, the blockchain is truth..."
Orgcoin.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 10:44:34 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2014, 04:26:46 PM by Orgcoin.org

I would appreciate an invite. I always like to give back what I can, hopefully in a way that's meaningful!

Invites a-comin! (waiting on SSL...)

We let the community decide where to spend the funds.  We think this will be fun and exciting and, most importantly, meaningful.

Thanks for your support!!!
SirBitsalot

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:47:55 PM

Yay! Props to you guys, this is a great idea!
kikeda

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:24:00 PM

would love to try it, send me an invite.

thanks!
foodies123

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:45:20 PM

10mh for scrypt only here invite me.

nope
spiffcow

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:18:22 AM

2 things:

1.) Specify a cause and/or foundation in advance.  Make it extremely clear *who* the coins are going to, from the name and contact info of the org all the way down to the payment address.

2.) Full disclosure.  Release your real names and contact information.  If possible, register a charity specifically for this.

If you do those two things, your coin will succeed where all previous "charity" coins have failed.  If not, you're probably just another scammer.
Orgcoin.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 12:19:08 AM
Last edit: January 15, 2014, 04:18:11 PM by Orgcoin.org

We are working on some innovative ideas for ☯rgcoin, but the #1 thing we want is to make sure we are driven by community consensus in all that we do.

We've gotten a preliminary website up at http://www.orgcoin.org/ and we're working to get the SSL cert up.  Once it's up, we'll post here again and you will be able to come to the site and participate in the community.

Please understand that everything is still a work in progress, this is doubly true for the site.  For now, we've powered it with Drupal to maximize our "flash to bang" on getting a site up and because it's reasonably secure.  Still it's a bit slow.  Over the next few days it may be up and down quite a bit as we move from a site sitting on a development box to a production ready site running on an auto scaling load balancer.  We do not love Drupal and may dump it altogether.

I guess what we're saying is "We really want your direct participation, but please have patience and bear with us as we go through this transition."

FYI there will be no premining, but we do intend to give each miner who participates in the beta ☯1000 (1000 Orgcoins) during our first distribution period.
Orgcoin.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 12:35:58 AM
Last edit: January 16, 2014, 07:56:24 PM by Orgcoin.org

2 things:

1.) Specify a cause and/or foundation in advance.  Make it extremely clear *who* the coins are going to, from the name and contact info of the org all the way down to the payment address.

2.) Full disclosure.  Release your real names and contact information.  If possible, register a charity specifically for this.

If you do those two things, your coin will succeed where all previous "charity" coins have failed.  If not, you're probably just another scammer.

Good points Spiffcow and YES this is our plan.  The ☯rgcoin Foundation is registering as a non-profit entity in Colorado Springs, CO.  We will also file for IRS 501c status at that time (it will be completed prior to official launch).

The people behind ☯rgcoin are fairly well known on the forums, with good reputations.  These are Isis/Nova!/(gonna change that one soon), and Viceroy.  Once I can track down my password I'll come back here and post a confirmation if that makes you feel better.

The cause and or foundation selected for the monthly endowment will be nominated in the prior month on our forums, then a poll will run for a month with all candidates.  The users will vote on who gets it that month.  Viceroy fans seem to like his polls so maybe he'll chime in from time to time ;-)

For a cause, organization or foundation to actually receive the endowment it will go directly to whomever is designated in their IRS paperwork as Treasurer or other accountant.  In the event it's a cause "Hurricane Victims" etc, we will work with United Way or RedCross to ensure it goes to the intended recipients.  We're not going to exclude non-American companies but lack of registration with the IRS might delay our vetting process.

To be clear, anyone can register or nominate an organization that they feel is worthwhile.  It can be anything from something as big as United Way, all the way down to "Support a Local Arts program at Public School xyz".  We will work out who the actual recipient is supposed to be (who we hand the check to) using regular due diligence procedures.  The same common sense approach that you would take before cutting a check to a charity.
Orgcoin.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 05:34:04 PM

Thanks for your patience everyone!

The website is up!  Just go to www.orgcoin.org to visit us.
We just moved everything under cloudflare so there may be some hiccups for a day or two while DNS smooths out.

Beta will be limited to the first 250 users to sign up on the site.  The site will block new accounts automatically once we reach that figure.
If you don't make it in time, please feel free to email admin@orgcoin.org and I'll get you a slot as soon as someone drops out. 
Nova!

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 08:33:12 AM

Woohoo!  I finally found my password.  As promised, I'm commenting in this thread to show that there are real people behind this coin.
Orgcoin.org (the account) is a mouth piece for the Orgcoin Foundation of which I am a founding member and therefore authorized to speak on their behalf.

Orgcoin sources will be posted in the next 24 hours on the OpenPay guthub account.
https://github.com/openpay/orgcoin

Donate @ 1LE4D5ERPZ4tumNoYe5GMeB5p9CZ1xKb4V
Nova!

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 04:01:50 PM

Genesis block is being generated.
As soon as we've got that then I'll push it up and start the beta.
☯rgcoin is not like normal coins, there are many, many differences in the code base.
Please make sure to go to www.orgcoin.org register an account and post in the "Beta Invitation" thread under "Announcements" if you plan to participate.
Thanks to everyone for pitching in and helping out!

Nova!

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:08:20 AM

Well good news / bad news.

The good news is that the genesis block is hashed and is/was working great.
The bad news is that I forgot to update the script pubkey when I generated it.
This mistake means that whoever has/had the litecoin genesis hash key also had the keys to the kingdom with Orgcoin (FYI this is true for every alt coin that ever forked from Litecoin and who didn't know enough to update that key, which a quick google search seems to indicate is many/most of them).

I'm updating it now.  Once the genesis block is yet again generated I'll get this up on github.  Does anyone have a static IP with a ton of BW and want to serve as a DNS seed server?  I'm planning to do one on OpenShift, but it would be good to not have all our seeds in one basket.

Also once this is up on github, I'll be launching pool.orgcoin.org which will be running p2pool merge mining and allow you to mine orgcoin without installing anything new (assuming you're already mining scrypt coins on a pool somewhere).

For security purposes pool.orgcoin.org will have different account credentials than community.orgcoin.org

Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:31:38 AM

Insider tip.... big announcement coming shortly....
Nova!

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 05:30:23 AM

Beta has officially started, please go to www.orgcoin.org for more details. Smiley

Nova!

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 01:10:02 AM

Pool is up!
You can now merge mine LTC/ORG together!
Point your miner at pool.orgcoin.org:9327 your username is your LTC address (should work with stratum or getwork I left the protocol completely off and cgminer picked stratum).

Once you've done that come to http://www.orgcoin.org/topic/6/how-to-mine-for-orgcoins
And post your LTC and Orgcoin addresses so that I can pay you your Orgcoins as well.
Make sure to sign your post with both addresses!

Nova!

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 03:10:43 PM

We've had our announcement on Cryptocointalk.
Also there is a bounty of ☯1,000 for any exchange that lists ORG.  I've contacted a few of the smaller ones, but if you manage to get an exchange to list us email me directly and I'll send you ☯1,000 as well.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: