Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:38:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Contributors-only forum.  (Read 10209 times)
dinker

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 10:58:39 PM

Do Bruce W. or Tom W. qualify as contributors?
They've certainly have done their share...

Help Me Help You Donations:
14kP6tNtrz3woESs9nEE5aDB81QTybGyyZ
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Alex Zee (OP)

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2011, 06:29:11 AM

Do Bruce W. or Tom W. qualify as contributors?
They've certainly have done their share...

After the scandal - obviously not. Before - unfortunately, yes.

It's impractical to perform extensive background checks on all members and it doesn't even guarantee that a person is not a potential scammer.
This forum isn't built for that, there are other sites for trust checks already.

---

To motivate contributors to join, I am thinking about building some web service(s) around the contributors forum.

So if you have any ideas you want to see implemented - shoot.

Here's what I thought this morning:

Bitcoin Ad Exchange network.

Every contributor can place an adwords-like text ad block on his site and start earning virtual credits, which he can then spend to show his ads on other contributors sites.
Something like a Bitcoin Ring. To make customers be more aware of various Bitcoin-related projects.

Now, I am operating on 5 hours of sleep and can't be sure I'm sane enough today, so what do you think? Is it a good idea?
Are there people interested in this or is it just an outdated hogwash from the times when rings and link exchanges were popular? Smiley

---

Also: contributors, don't wait. Join the forum and start talking in a quiet place today.

BTC Monitor - systray price ticker
RipTalk.org - new Ripple forum
Serith

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 06:52:56 AM

Ok, here's my first question about contributions:

If a person did some clearly non-trivial projects, but didn't actually contribute anything to Bitcoin (yet?) - should such person be entitled to join?

On one hand - the forum is clearly for "Bitcoin Contributors". On the other hand - if a person is an able developer, maybe he will do something soon.
On yet another hand - there are plenty of developers out there, so it can dilute the forum and add some off-topic posts Smiley

This is tough one for me to decide. Personally, I lean towards strict "bitcoin contribution is a must" policy.

What's your ideas?

I think you should develop clear understanding about what you want to achieve with this project and then select people who will contribute to your vision.
Disposition

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 07:02:36 AM

Somebody(team) just need to make a digest version of the bitcoin forum, e.g. /r/Bitcoin works fine, where only the important and relevant threads/information gets posted, if it's not correct or plain out troll it'll quickly fall off the front page and become dust.

I hear some one from /r/BitcoinMining is putting together a knowledge base (stackoverflow clone) to aggregate a lot of the repeated questions that's being asked there, which I think it's a great idea. (imo wikis aren't suited for this type of rapid information cycle.)

Cheers.
Alex Zee (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2011, 07:06:10 AM
Last edit: September 07, 2011, 07:29:12 AM by AlexZ

I think you should develop clear understanding about what you want to achieve with this project and then select people who will contribute to your vision.

I thought I had a clear understanding - to create a place for people, who have actually done something for Bitcoin, to hang around.

Now, about the Ad Exchange idea.

I thought about it and it seems that a bigger idea would be certainly good - Bitcoin Adwords (BitWords? Smiley ).

It would be a great way to introduce bitcoin to people, because currently there are very few ways for a newbie to acquire bitcoins.
If there would be a service that says "Show ads on your site and get money (in the form of Bitcoins)" it may revive somewhat the Bitcoin economy.

This is, of course, a much more serious and difficult project than a simple Ad Exchange between contributers.

What do you think?

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 09:24:21 AM

will you add a good post system like I proposed here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25593.0 ?
Alex Zee (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2011, 09:33:11 AM

will you add a good post system like I proposed here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25593.0 ?

Yes, I think it's a good idea. I turned on Karma, but rating individual posts is also useful.

But the mod you linked doesn't look very slim to me, I am currently browsing all the SMF mods, looking what to install, so if I find anything better - I will install it.
Otherwise I will install the mod you pointed to and maybe modify it a bit if needed.

Thanks for the idea!

phelix
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 09:55:42 AM

Yes, I think it's a good idea. I turned on Karma, but rating individual posts is also useful.

But the mod you linked doesn't look very slim to me, I am currently browsing all the SMF mods, looking what to install, so if I find anything better - I will install it.
Otherwise I will install the mod you pointed to and maybe modify it a bit if needed.

Thanks for the idea!
jippieh! looking forward to that or something similar. I would consider it best to only have the possibility to upvote but not to downvote, at least to start with. Downvotes only create bad atmo = noise.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 10:10:15 AM
Last edit: September 11, 2011, 06:11:31 AM by Vladimir

Due to breach of trust and gross negligence by Sirius and Theymos who recklessly transferred my private and personal data on this forum to a Japaneze company without my permission I am leaving this forum and deleting all my posts. Goodbye.

-
Alex Zee (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2011, 10:14:43 AM

There is already "by invitation only" section at https://bitcoin.org.uk/forums with people like Gavin, ArtForz, Nefario, Jenjix, Wordly (just to mention a few) having write access to

This forum is not "by invitation only" it's "by contribution (or invitations) only".

There's a difference. You don't need invitation - just prove your contribution and you are approved instantly (when I am around the computer Smiley ).

Besides, I find your forums unusable, but it's a matter of taste.

Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 10:33:51 AM
Last edit: September 11, 2011, 06:10:55 AM by Vladimir

Due to breach of trust and gross negligence by Sirius and Theymos who recklessly transferred my private and personal data on this forum to a Japaneze company without my permission I am leaving this forum and deleting all my posts. Goodbye.

-
Alex Zee (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2011, 10:35:22 AM

I've installed the voting mod and disabled negative votes.
So far it seems working Ok.

SuperTramp
Legendary

Activity: 1073
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2011, 10:38:51 AM

Is there a BIG sign at the entrance door that reads "Please Leave Your Drama Here" ? If so, at some point I would like to join.

Thanks.

-ST

MincoinForum, Home Of The World's Fastest & Rarest Cryptocurrency. https://www.mincoinforum.com
Only 10million Mincoin To Be Created. Find out more at https://www.mincoin.us
Alex Zee (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2011, 10:40:22 AM

Generally, I think this 'ivory tower' approach is not that useful at all.

Of course it's not useful. That's why there are all those numerous foundations, clubs, professional guilds, etc.
They just want to create an ivory tower, right?

What's wrong with the idea of building a sort of informal foundation for all the people who contribute real work to Bitcoin and not just talk?

Alex Zee (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2011, 10:41:14 AM

Is there a BIG sign at the entrance door that reads "Please Leave Your Drama Here" ? If so, at some point I would like to join.

We can add it to the rules:
"No drama here please."
Smiley

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3015

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2011, 11:16:31 AM

The IPB Forum (which GuildMiners uses and Vladimir's forum also uses) has a Facebook "like" feature and many mods to allow distinction of above average posts. 

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
The_Duke

Activity: 252

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 12:02:36 PM

Just wondering, would Bruce Wagner be allowed in? Or Tom Williams?

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
Alex Zee (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2011, 12:17:49 PM

Take a look at the beginning of this very page. This has already been answered.

What's the big deal with that question?

phelix
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 01:45:16 PM

hmm something does not seem right. can not see any boards after logging in.

The_Duke

Activity: 252

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 01:51:54 PM

Take a look at the beginning of this very page. This has already been answered.

What's the big deal with that question?

The big deal of course is that it is extremely elitist to make a board "only for people who contributed" and have the owner of the board be the judge of what a contribution is.
Everyone posting here has contributed in a way. That way might not be what the owner wants to see or hear though, so he will "censor them away". But technically speaking everyone posting here should be given access. (not that they want to probably)

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: