Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 10:04:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Social Experiment  (Read 11983 times)
ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 12:30:45 AM

Could be but I would expect more weird things to get the tension levels up.

Hmm, maybe the experiment was to see how long till donors get pissed off? Tongue

Starman22 (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 12:52:05 AM

The board is set, the pieces are moving. We come to it at last...

First off I would like to thank all of the donors to this little project. *Begins Rod Serling voice-over* – You have all become unwitting participants in a little thing we like to call life. You have all agreed to play the game for various reasons not knowing what is before you, is it simply an elaborate scam, an actual experiment, or some other devilish plot? What is known, is this is no ordinary forum thread, you have just entered the Twilight Zone….

With that feeble attempt at a dramatic introduction out of the way, I will first try to set some expectations.

Keep in mind that this is a long-term experiment and there will be many phases, this is just kicking off phase one. The experiment will likely draw out over several weeks or months, perhaps longer.
Due to the nature of the experiment, there may be long periods of time between updates.

At some stage, the experiment may require input from the participants. I will PM directly asking for any information that will need to be kept private. Sometimes I will ask for information publicly in the thread that I will also ask you to PM me your response. Other times I will both post in the thread and ask that you also respond in the thread.

To designate the type of response required I will prefix [PM response required] for the responses that need to be kept private and [Public response required] for responses requested to be made as forum posts. If you accidently respond the wrong way, (i.e. post PM response in thread) it won’t necessarily break anything, but realize we are dealing with human psychology and thus the direct and indirect influence of others will play heavily into this.

Also, since there are multiple participants, please allow time for everyone to complete any required actions. Again, this will probably take quite some time so things may, and will, appear to stall at times.

I also want to point out that you are obviously free to not participate and can drop out at any time, all that I request would be a PM so I don’t end up waiting for a response from someone who decided to quit.

One last issue, since this seems to be of great concern to many in the observation deck, if anyone wishes to opt-out right now and for what-ever reason wants their donation back please let me know now.

After the first phase begins, I will consider all Bitcoin received an inter vivos gift and make it available for use in the experiment. After this point all funds in the wallet are considered mine to be freely used however I wish with no conditions or expectations set upon how I use them.

The funds will be transferred around and used in a manner deemed appropriate by the experimenter (me) and any others who may work for, assist, or are directed by me on how to handle the funds. I make no promise, claim, or guarantee of how the funds will be used, they may or may not be used in a manner you agree with. Since the funds will not always be under my direct control, at some stages the funds could simply disappear for many reasons including, but not limited to; fraud, transaction errors, theft of wallet, mistypes, etc.

Once the experiment begins, I cannot accept any more participants or deposits to the wallet address. If any funds are sent to the address for whatever reason after this point, they are also considered gifts and will be used in the experiment with no expectation of any participation by any who sent such funds, either intentionally or accidently.

The first phase will kick-off within 48 hours of this post in order to give everyone time to be sure of their decisions and opt-out if so desired. I can accept new participants for the next 24-hours, but after that time the signup is locked and any funds sent to the wallet address become forfeit and are subject to the above conditions.
Z1#

Activity: 22

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 01:22:56 AM

I find myself coming to the forum just to see what starman22 is up to.
ManeBjorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 01:24:14 AM

Me too.  LOL

I find myself coming to the forum just to see what starman22 is up to.

mtnminer

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 01:31:48 AM

Ready and willing to be a guinea pig, thank you for letting me participate.

I agree to your stated terms.

Mtnminer
_Miracle

Activity: 906
Merit: 659

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 01:32:51 AM

Will you ever ask one of us to be untruthful?

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
ManeBjorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 02:04:44 AM

Hmm is this going to be like Fight Club?
Oh yeah don't talk about Bitcoin Club.  Grin

Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 02:20:33 AM

I'm running an experiment where I'm going to need people to send me as many bitcoins as possible.  Results will be published in the American Sociological Review. If you are interested in participating in my groundbreaking scientific study, bitcoins can be sent here : 1C7YMm7GVrdTZmABZSaaZVpkRK7EEizb6U
ManeBjorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 03:33:50 AM

And here I would be happy with just 5 BTC you are really shooting for the stars.  Tongue

I'm running an experiment where I'm going to need people to send me as many bitcoins as possible.  Results will be published in the American Sociological Review. If you are interested in participating in my groundbreaking scientific study, bitcoins can be sent here : 1C7YMm7GVrdTZmABZSaaZVpkRK7EEizb6U

Starman22 (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:55:17 AM

Sign-ups are now closed.

Looks like we have 8 participants, a bit less that I hoped but I am optimistic it will still work out well, after all this is a forum run experiment so it is hard to control all aspects of it. Now I just need to figure out how to get you to give electric shocks to each other though this forum... Wink

My next post will be the official kick-off of the experiment per my last post's instructions. The first few parts will not require any interaction, just so you are aware. Also, I should point out that it might not at first seem like a lot is happening, but keep in mind everything has its purpose.

ManeBjorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 03:33:07 AM

I already get shocks with my spinal cord implant does that count.  Cool

Looking forward to this.

Sign-ups are now closed.

Looks like we have 8 participants, a bit less that I hoped but I am optimistic it will still work out well, after all this is a forum run experiment so it is hard to control all aspects of it. Now I just need to figure out how to get you to give electric shocks to each other though this forum... Wink

My next post will be the official kick-off of the experiment per my last post's instructions. The first few parts will not require any interaction, just so you are aware. Also, I should point out that it might not at first seem like a lot is happening, but keep in mind everything has its purpose.

_Miracle

Activity: 906
Merit: 659

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 04:39:01 AM

As long as it doesn't get out of hand (like the Stanford prison experiment)

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
ManeBjorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:43:12 AM

Very true we don't need PTSD or worse from this Experiment.

As long as it doesn't get out of hand (like the Stanford prison experiment)

ledmaniak

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:22:32 PM

Very curious now what is going to happen Grin

Bitcoin: 1Cxi8BLvScSm1mW6kjb5MNeJZPrvAiYL6B
Litecoin: LLmjtrrq1ZeD51NSUJ8VanuQduW8Ma3jrs
mtnminer

Activity: 294

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 03:03:36 PM

Hmm, no shocks yet  Grin

Mtnminer
Bitmares

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:38:35 PM

0.0005 btc donated for the experiment from italy Wink Wink
Starman22 (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 01:59:39 AM

Once there was a man (we’ll call him JD) who made his living any way he could. He never really stayed in one place or held down a job for very long, although he was more than qualified for a wide range of occupations. No, JD instead relied upon taking things a day at a time and usually ended up wherever his free spirit took him. He liked to claim this was the only way a person could truly be free.

JD just spent the last few weeks visiting a nearby public library where he could log a few hours here and there on a public computer. JD, not having a lot to his name preferred to utilize public resources whenever he could, both due to necessity and to his credo of not being tied down to any particular place.

He does know a thing or two about computers and navigating the “net” and would often go to the library to research the places he visited or learn more about things he heard about. He once briefly considered a career in IT, but found that would not lead to the type of life he was looking for.

One morning while taking in the sunrise at a small coffee house, JD recently overheard a conversation about something called Bitcoin. JD often would like to seek out new places from which to view the sun rise and felt this was one of the ways he could more closely feel part of the wider world around him. It offered him a sort of solace as it was a familiar face he could count on wherever he may be.

His curiosity piqued, JD scoured the net to find out about this new form of currency. The more he read, the more he became intrigued. As you can imagine, when one tries to live as a free spirit, it is hard to reconcile this with the more traditional means of storing and securing money.

While JD was not particularly obsessed with money the way many people are, he did realize it had its place and was almost as much a requirement in the modern day as having clean air to breath, food to eat, and a warm place to sleep. JD spent the next several days thinking about what he read, but he decided to take action when on his next visit to a coffee shop, he noticed a sign indicating they now accept Bitcoin.

On his next visit to the library, JD is able to assume an online persona. He creates an online e-mail account and signs up to a popular Bitcoin forum. Here he tiptoes around carefully, initially reading many of the posts and learning how to create online wallets. He likes the idea of something he can access from anywhere, as this fits in with his lifestyle, so establishes himself with a few exchanges that provide a means to accept coins into an online wallet.

JD gets his first taste of Cryptocurrencies by participating in a few giveaway threads, which are commonly used to help introduce people to new cryptocurrencies when they launch. Having explored the site for a few days, JD recognizes these as Alt-coins, and knows that this probably the best entry into the crypto-currency world. As he has no physical means to mine coins, or the financial resources to purchase any outright, he seeks ways to become more involved.

Another week or so passes and JD comes up with an interesting idea. In order for it to work it will require some form of community involvement. Even with his little time spent on the various online sites, JD knows this will take some doing and incredible patience. But with plenty of free time, JD feels up to the task.

While the general community is war weary and sees scams at every turn, JD manages to convince a few souls into participating in his endeavor.

(to be continued…)
ManeBjorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 02:37:30 AM

Ok so hopefully JD got some good coffee or tea.  Smiley

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 02:50:59 AM
Last edit: January 22, 2014, 03:29:19 AM by freedomno1

Well this seems fun off to observe
For some Reason I think JD Is Justdice or The MC
I've been on here too much  

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
retrend

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 03:16:40 AM

lol why did anyone send money?

reading your spam inbox must be an expensive task for you lot.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: