Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:49:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Social Experiment  (Read 11983 times)
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2014, 03:17:57 AM

Once there was a man (we’ll call him JD) who made his living any way he could. He never really stayed in one place or held down a job for very long, although he was more than qualified for a wide range of occupations. No, JD instead relied upon taking things a day at a time and usually ended up wherever his free spirit took him. He liked to claim this was the only way a person could truly be free.

JD just spent the last few weeks visiting a nearby public library where he could log a few hours here and there on a public computer. JD, not having a lot to his name preferred to utilize public resources whenever he could, both due to necessity and to his credo of not being tied down to any particular place.

He does know a thing or two about computers and navigating the “net” and would often go to the library to research the places he visited or learn more about things he heard about. He once briefly considered a career in IT, but found that would not lead to the type of life he was looking for.

One morning while taking in the sunrise at a small coffee house, JD recently overheard a conversation about something called Bitcoin. JD often would like to seek out new places from which to view the sun rise and felt this was one of the ways he could more closely feel part of the wider world around him. It offered him a sort of solace as it was a familiar face he could count on wherever he may be.

His curiosity piqued, JD scoured the net to find out about this new form of currency. The more he read, the more he became intrigued. As you can imagine, when one tries to live as a free spirit, it is hard to reconcile this with the more traditional means of storing and securing money.

While JD was not particularly obsessed with money the way many people are, he did realize it had its place and was almost as much a requirement in the modern day as having clean air to breath, food to eat, and a warm place to sleep. JD spent the next several days thinking about what he read, but he decided to take action when on his next visit to a coffee shop, he noticed a sign indicating they now accept Bitcoin.

On his next visit to the library, JD is able to assume an online persona. He creates an online e-mail account and signs up to a popular Bitcoin forum. Here he tiptoes around carefully, initially reading many of the posts and learning how to create online wallets. He likes the idea of something he can access from anywhere, as this fits in with his lifestyle, so establishes himself with a few exchanges that provide a means to accept coins into an online wallet.

JD gets his first taste of Cryptocurrencies by participating in a few giveaway threads, which are commonly used to help introduce people to new cryptocurrencies when they launch. Having explored the site for a few days, JD recognizes these as Alt-coins, and knows that this probably the best entry into the crypto-currency world. As he has no physical means to mine coins, or the financial resources to purchase any outright, he seeks ways to become more involved.

Another week or so passes and JD comes up with an interesting idea. In order for it to work it will require some form of community involvement. Even with his little time spent on the various online sites, JD knows this will take some doing and incredible patience. But with plenty of free time, JD feels up to the task.

While the general community is war weary and sees scams at every turn, JD manages to convince a few souls into participating in his endeavor.

(to be continued…)

I get it

you are JD!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 03:53:43 AM

No spam surprisingly enough.  Cool

lol why did anyone send money?

reading your spam inbox must be an expensive task for you lot.

_Miracle

Activity: 906
Merit: 659

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2014, 06:20:13 AM

Maybe you can get some tips from this guy...

http://www.coindesk.com/nomad-lives-off-bitcoin/

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
ledmaniak

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 03:59:38 PM

I hope JD will use both the information and the funds from this experiment wisely, to get a life he is wishing for. Wink

Bitcoin: 1Cxi8BLvScSm1mW6kjb5MNeJZPrvAiYL6B
Litecoin: LLmjtrrq1ZeD51NSUJ8VanuQduW8Ma3jrs
mtnminer

Activity: 294

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 04:37:22 PM

I agree, it sounds like he will have a enjoyable life.  I must have a little gypsy blood in my veins.

Mtnminer

I hope JD will use both the information and the funds from this experiment wisely, to get a life he is wishing for. Wink
Starman22 (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 10:13:32 PM

JD upon successfully soliciting a small sum of BTC and eager to put his plan to work, decides to transfer the few fractions of Bitcoin he received to another account. While at this point many would become suspect, JD suspects his few willing volunteers will understand.

Sipping on his morning cup of coffee, JD smiles as he stares off into the distant sunrise. It is indeed the beginning of a new day…
ManeBjorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 10:36:55 PM

I get it, a patience test.
JD, are Turk, Elliot and Carla there?  Cool

JD upon successfully soliciting a small sum of BTC and eager to put his plan to work, decides to transfer the few fractions of Bitcoin he received to another account. While at this point many would become suspect, JD suspects his few willing volunteers will understand.

Sipping on his morning cup of coffee, JD smiles as he stares off into the distant sunrise. It is indeed the beginning of a new day…

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 08:47:23 AM

I get it, a patience test.
JD, are Turk, Elliot and Carla there?  Cool

Indeed. How many days is OP able to prolong this until people start trying to get him the SCAMMER label.

To which he replies that his social experiment was to find out how long it would take.

QED

I will end it now. OP is a scammer.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
lnternet

Activity: 299
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 01:01:22 AM

Bitcoin is an experiment.

1ntemetqbXokPSSkuHH4iuAJRTQMP6uJ9
ManeBjorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 01:03:40 AM

Very true.
So far it is working out well.

Bitcoin is an experiment.

ledmaniak

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 10:08:36 AM

Seems like the money is transferred to some more addresses:
From: https://blockchain.info/address/1FxQJWfQm1g6eQjDj7KwCp4ovZ1o1QMhjk
To: https://blockchain.info/address/1PZ4DqyRCBQ5Zhw6ooCQkigWjoAyvMRRiX

And then send to two other addresses.. Huh

Bitcoin: 1Cxi8BLvScSm1mW6kjb5MNeJZPrvAiYL6B
Litecoin: LLmjtrrq1ZeD51NSUJ8VanuQduW8Ma3jrs
ManeBjorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 03:37:39 PM

At this rate he will have paid more in fees than he took in.

Seems like the money is transferred to some more addresses:
From: https://blockchain.info/address/1FxQJWfQm1g6eQjDj7KwCp4ovZ1o1QMhjk
To: https://blockchain.info/address/1PZ4DqyRCBQ5Zhw6ooCQkigWjoAyvMRRiX

And then send to two other addresses.. Huh

FalconFly

Activity: 252

Sentinel

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 10:09:26 PM

So I guess my initial analysis was spot-on...

OP belongs to the free shit army, successfully employed social engineering/human interfacing to get free BTC.
Short version : blah blah don't need money but gimme BTC blah blah experiment blah blah... chaff/flares... irrelevant tangents, sidestories... smoke/mirrors... gimme BTC blah blah etc.

Funny to see how he still hawks the Forum every single day, just not posting...

This forum signature is like its owner - it can't be bought
Enkel

Activity: 122
Merit: 20

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 08:54:56 AM

Had bookmarked this thread to watch where it goes. Bumping for update. Am still waiting for the analysis portion of the infotainment to see what has been learned from this social experiment  Smiley
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:44:42 AM

So I guess my initial analysis was spot-on...

OP belongs to the free shit army, successfully employed social engineering/human interfacing to get free BTC.
Short version : blah blah don't need money but gimme BTC blah blah experiment blah blah... chaff/flares... irrelevant tangents, sidestories... smoke/mirrors... gimme BTC blah blah etc.

Funny to see how he still hawks the Forum every single day, just not posting...

Maybe OP is experimenting how many people will fall for that?  Wink
ManeBjorn
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:20:08 PM

Yup, a goofy yet effective "experiment" it seems to be.
Maybe Starman is really Phillip Seymore Hoffman.  Shocked

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 11:10:50 PM

didn't want to go through all 6 pages of the replies, was the social experiment ever revealed?  what was the big secret...does anyone want to provide cliffs notes?
Z1#

Activity: 22

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 11:47:22 PM

didn't want to go through all 6 pages of the replies, was the social experiment ever revealed?  what was the big secret...does anyone want to provide cliffs notes?

He took their money and ran. Changed his name and is living in the Arabian Peninsula where he now sells used camels.  Grin
ManeBjorn
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 02:27:12 AM

Sweet.  I saw Anthony Bourdain eat a camel supposedly was tasty.  Starman should send some out way.

He took their money and ran. Changed his name and is living in the Arabian Peninsula where he now sells used camels.  Grin

Z1#

Activity: 22

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 06:25:01 AM

Sweet.  I saw Anthony Bourdain eat a camel supposedly was tasty.  Starman should send some out way.

Yea, I like watching that show with Anthony Bourdain. Maybe someday we will see Bourdain interviewing Starman. I suppose by then Starman will be living in a tent with 6 wives. Oh by the way, I hear he does except Bitcoin for his used camels.BTC
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: