Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:24:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Satoshi actually Richard Stallman?  (Read 10032 times)
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 10:51:36 PM

This might be off topic. My apologies.

We know the time of Satoshi's posts, right? With different sets of assumptions, this time distribution could be used to generate a set of activity profiles...ie, if we assume he posts during evening hours most often, and didn't move frequently, his post time stamps suggest his time zone was...

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 01:09:06 AM

We know the time of Satoshi's posts, right? With different sets of assumptions, this time distribution could be used to generate a set of activity profiles...ie, if we assume he posts during evening hours most often, and didn't move frequently, his post time stamps suggest his time zone was...

This was done years ago.  The most likely time zone is Eastern US.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 02:59:44 AM

So... you are saying Langley?  Grin

Not impossible.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
tjohej

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Magic Staff

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:36:20 AM

I find it extremely unlikely Satoshi to be RMS, since rms has long ago abandoned programming but instead try to tell people about Free Software, meaning he should have not gotten enough time to focus on Bitcoin, even less programming. Also in what language did Satoshi write the code? Was it not c++? Also look for any references of rms to that language.

As the author of GCC, how do you view the future of C,
in view of modern,
or more modern, languages like C++ or Java?
Well, C++ is a lousy language.
[laughter]
It's
a lousy job of language design; sloppy job of language design.
[applause]
Its grammar is ambiguous!
Source: http://ftp.fukt.bsnet.se/pub/movies/stallman/stallman2c.sub

Also note that Bitcoin is not branded with a GNU. It is neither called GNUcoin, though it sounds catchy doesn't it? "New Coin".

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
coinpeculiator

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 04:33:22 PM

Stallman eats his own Toe Jam (not kidding, he does it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ ) so I wouldn't want to be associated with that guy, and I wouldn't want bitcoin to be associated with him. People would call it Toebitcoin or something, Really Gross!
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 12:38:32 AM

So... you are saying Langley?  Grin

Not impossible.

In fact, I would not be surprised. Imagine how easy it would be to send funds to agents behind enemy lines when there's enough local traders. Smiley
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 12:53:51 AM

Satoshi develop on window?  Shocked

I would appear so and he also used the term "open source" both of which would eliminate RMS as Satoshi.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
sedeki

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 08:34:39 AM

RMS actually dislikes C++ and I think stuff like that matters to him.
That, to me, is proof that he didn't code it.
Blinken

Activity: 338
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:07:59 PM

If RMS were Satoshi, the client code would be better.

Exactly right.

Among other reasons why it can't be Stallman, you merely have to read some of Stallman's code to see it could not be him. RMS has a VERY distinctive code style that is unmistakable.

Bitcoin ♦♦♦ Trust in Mathematics, Not Bankers ♦♦♦
Snowfire

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 10:34:49 PM

I still think the triumvirate of Neal King, Vladimir Oksman, and Charles Bry is the most likely hypothesis to date, though Michael clear might be an outside possibility. All of these appear more likely candidates than Stallman.

BTC:1Ca1YU6rCqCHniNj6BvypHbaHYp32t2ubp XRP: rpVbjBotUFCoi9xPu3BqYXZhTLpgZbQpoZ
LTC:LRNTGhyymtNQ7uWeMQXdoEfP5Mryx2c62i :FC: 6qzaJCrowtyepN5LgdpQaTy94JuxmKmdF7
Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 10:38:40 PM

Satoshi develop on window?  Shocked

I would appear so and he also used the term "open source" both of which would eliminate RMS as Satoshi.

Maybe Bill Gates is Satoshi???    Shocked
w1R903

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:53:54 PM

This video was uploaded at the same time when Bitcoin was launched in Feb 2009:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNBMdDaYhZA&t=1h1m4s

Watch the next 2 minutes after the linked time. 1:02:45 is where it's at. Have we found our man?

First, and most important, the original Bitcoin client is MIT-licensed, which makes it very unlikely to be Stallman.  Next, the client is written in C+, which is not a favored language of old school hackers of the Richard Stallman school (C is).  On a related note, C++ is very much the language of academic and researcher types, which makes me think that Satoshi is probably a professor or some other academic or researcher.

4096R/F5EA0017
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 12:56:57 AM

Maybe Bill Gates is Satoshi???    Shocked

A far better candidate that RMS for the following reasons:
1) He would develop on Windows
2) He would refer to FLOSS as "Open Source"
3) He would not use a copyleft license such as the GPL, but has no problem at all using an open source license such as the MIT license

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
mpfrank

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:16:22 AM

If RMS were Satoshi, the client code would be better.

And it would be written in Emacs LISP.  XD

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: