Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:43:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Algos and/or ASICs be patented ?  (Read 291 times)
gameboy366 (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 8

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 08:15:40 AM

Can a algorithm be patented ? What about ASICs ? Can Bitmain patent a particular ASIC so that others can't manufacturer an asic for a particular algo without licence from patent holder ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kryptowolf512

Activity: 420
Merit: 105

German Translator - Hire me on Bitcointalk!

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2018, 08:47:18 AM

Well if you can patent it, how would you control it?
I dont think that is possible, but the time will tell  Grin
HansHagberg

Activity: 58
Merit: 4

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 10:16:09 AM

Can a algorithm be patented ? What about ASICs ? Can Bitmain patent a particular ASIC so that others can't manufacturer an asic for a particular algo without licence from patent holder ?

It's even worse if one is to believe what is written.
https://blog.sia.tech/the-state-of-cryptocurrency-mining-538004a37f9b

Bitmain is said to play dirty and actively prevents anyone else to develop / manufacture ASICs for mining. They can do this because most competitive chip makers are in China and they have the resources to do what they want.
gameboy366 (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 10:45:45 AM

It's even worse if one is to believe what is written.
https://blog.sia.tech/the-state-of-cryptocurrency-mining-538004a37f9b

Bitmain is said to play dirty and actively prevents anyone else to develop / manufacture ASICs for mining. They can do this because most competitive chip makers are in China and they have the resources to do what they want.
I have read that article but that doesn't answer my question. I am not asking about Bitmain in particular but about any company if they can patent their ASICs.
SpceGhst

Activity: 269
Merit: 4

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 10:58:35 AM

You can probably patent the design of an ASIC chip or machine, but software put on it would need to be copyrighted.  I don’t know if you can copyright open source software that anyone can compile.  On top of that, any patent or copyright is only as strong as the country where it is filed.  (I am not an attorney, so don’t consider this legal advice.)
gameboy366 (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 11:30:53 AM

You can probably patent the design of an ASIC chip or machine, but software put on it would need to be copyrighted.  I don’t know if you can copyright open source software that anyone can compile.  On top of that, any patent or copyright is only as strong as the country where it is filed.  (I am not an attorney, so don’t consider this legal advice.)

I think patents and/or copyrights are international.
treanski

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

ONe Social Network.

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 01:23:23 PM

of course you can try to patent it, but noboby will give a fuck Grin

gameboy366 (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 03:11:58 PM

of course you can try to patent it, but noboby will give a fuck Grin

But patent can stop big, registered companies from using that algo right ?
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2018, 06:00:05 PM

Bitmain got alot of patents. One of the more well knowned is ASICBOOST, that hindered every other ASIC manufacturer to develop it and bitmain kept 30% speed boost to their self.
I hate that patents and copyright has made its way into Bitcoin/altcoins. The whole point of crypto is the decentralized and open idea behind it. Sad now its all about making money.
2stout

Activity: 2352
Merit: 585

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 06:10:38 PM

Seems reasonable to conclude there will be more attempts made as big money and centralization attempt to expand into the space.
markiz73

Activity: 1190
Merit: 641

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 06:12:49 PM

And what is the proletum? The patents are usually chips, processors and etc. I am sure that Bitmain has a patent for chip asic. Can someone make asics on Bitmain chips without permission?
We have in Russia producing asics on the permission of Bitmain. Technology 28 nm Smiley
Capacity 176 TH /s SHA256, consumption 64 kW Smiley
Model FM2017-BT16. Learn more on Russian  http://criptoprofit.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=84
gameboy366 (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 06:24:57 PM

Okay, so it looks like that ASIC miners can be patented.

But what about alogorithm ? Can someone patent it ? I know that it won't stop devs with hidden identities or underground projects but what about registered companies ? Will patent stop them from using it ?
gameboy366 (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 06:29:18 PM

And what is the proletum? The patents are usually chips, processors and etc. I am sure that Bitmain has a patent for chip asic. Can someone make asics on Bitmain chips without permission?
We have in Russia producing asics on the permission of Bitmain. Technology 28 nm Smiley
Model FM2017-BT16. Learn more on Russian  http://criptoprofit.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=84
Are you completely manufacturing the ASICs in Russia ? The manufacturing cost will be too high.
markiz73

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 09:06:11 PM

Are you completely manufacturing the ASICs in Russia ? The manufacturing cost will be too high.
By technology 28 nm asics are completely assembled in Russia( Chips are supplied from China). Yes it's old and inefficient technology, but ...

176 Th / s SHA256 (up to 200Th / s can be accelerated), consumption 64 kW - price 17600 $ (new) or used ~ 11000 $

The price of electricity in Russia is $ 0.03-0.04 per Kw, and can be found cheaper.

But devices using 16 nm technology are supplied from China. While Bitmain does not give permission to manufacture.
Here is the photo

grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 11:22:31 PM

Patented in which country?  Licensed in which country?  Various countries have various laws and sometimes there actually are international laws that meet up but are rarely followed.

Look at ccminer.  It's "licensed" but that doesn't stop people from duplicating the code, optimizing it, and then slapping on a dev fee.

Personally, I don't mind paying dev fees but by this point so many people know how to remove the dev fees and the intellectual property has been so far dispersed from any of the true originators... well... by now people should stop being so greedy.

So... patents?  licenses?  I just don't think these things should be for such profiteering aims in crypto land.  If someone has an original idea and wants to profit from it then they should do so from the beginning and enjoy it while it lasts.

Is the family of the guy who invented sliced bread living in eternal wealth because we send a nickel for every sliced loaf of bread?  lol

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
markiz73

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 09:24:05 AM

Even if you own a technology of 10 nm for the production of a chip, then you need to build a plant worth several billion dollars, you need qualified engineers.
Software is very hard to protect.
In most cases, software makers want a lot of money for their products. For example, the average salary in the USA is 3000-4000 dollars per month, the average salary in Russia is 500 dollars Smiley So the idiots from Microsoft sell Windows in Russia at a price of 120-300 dollars and an office at the same price or subscription for 50-60 dollars a year.
The most ridiculous thing is that in the USA it costs much cheaper.
gameboy366 (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 11:53:52 AM

Even if you own a technology of 10 nm for the production of a chip, then you need to build a plant worth several billion dollars, you need qualified engineers.
Software is very hard to protect.
In most cases, software makers want a lot of money for their products. For example, the average salary in the USA is 3000-4000 dollars per month, the average salary in Russia is 500 dollars Smiley So the idiots from Microsoft sell Windows in Russia at a price of 120-300 dollars and an office at the same price or subscription for 50-60 dollars a year.
The most ridiculous thing is that in the USA it costs much cheaper.
Yes and this is what leads to piracy but also cost of living is Russia and asia is cheaper compared to US. I just download full softwares from torrents. I bought a pirated pre-activated Win10 ultimate for 1$ lol.

I was asking the question because we are working on a brand new algo.
alucard20724

Activity: 703
Merit: 272

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 01:49:52 PM
Last edit: May 26, 2018, 02:08:14 PM by alucard20724

You can probably patent the design of an ASIC chip or machine, but software put on it would need to be copyrighted.  I don’t know if you can copyright open source software that anyone can compile.  On top of that, any patent or copyright is only as strong as the country where it is filed.  (I am not an attorney, so don’t consider this legal advice.)

I think patents and/or copyrights are international.

no... patents and/or copyrights are only enforceable in the countries where they are obtained.   so if you want protection for your invention in a country or multiple countries, you must obtain a patent in each of the countries you want protection for.

You can file for your invention at wipo (world intellectual property organization) which would give you a PCT (patent cooperation treaty), and this would allow you to obtain the same filing date that you can use to pursue filing for patents in different countries.  WIPO is part of the United Nations.  The gives you the earliest filing date for filing for patents in various countries.  This is not a patent though, it's just for the filing date, and it gives you up to 30 months to file in various countries.   This is not an international patent.  There is no such thing as an international patent.  You can only enforce your patent in the country you obtain the patent from.
alucard20724

Activity: 703
Merit: 272

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 02:16:22 PM

Okay, so it looks like that ASIC miners can be patented.

But what about alogorithm ? Can someone patent it ? I know that it won't stop devs with hidden identities or underground projects but what about registered companies ? Will patent stop them from using it ?

A patent will not stop someone from using a patent.  A patent gives the patent holder the ability to enforce their patent in a court of law in the country which it was obtained.   

for example.  China can enforce their patent in China, to prevent someone in china from illegally using a patent.   They would not be able to enforce their patent in Russia, but they can prevent imports from Russia into China, where the products of the import violate the China patents.
gameboy366 (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 04:07:44 PM

How do big companies protect their software and hardware then ? That too at an international level.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: