Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:03:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGox Yen Withdrawal Thread. For Japan Residents.  (Read 11721 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
iikun
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 07:38:57 AM

Is anybody else here depositing money at this point to scoop up cheap Gox coins?

So tempting but I feel I'm already gambling too much...

I put in jpy15,000 today. Very risky I know but it's what I might go thru in a weekend anyway so for me at least it's worth the risk. If I lose it then I'll just stay home one weekend to make it up Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iikun
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 07:40:27 AM

FYI.  JapanNet Bank is not the only bank doing lightening quick deposits.    From citibank I get about 30 seconds deposits to gox.    Not tried out of hours yet though.   JNP probably operates better as well in that circumstance.

Since that change earlier this month I think they're all lightning quick aren't they?  I got notification email as I walked out of my bank! lol. MTUFJ.
cryptog1

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 08:18:16 AM

FYI.  JapanNet Bank is not the only bank doing lightening quick deposits.    From citibank I get about 30 seconds deposits to gox.    Not tried out of hours yet though.   JNP probably operates better as well in that circumstance.

Since that change earlier this month I think they're all lightning quick aren't they?  I got notification email as I walked out of my bank! lol. MTUFJ.

which change?

So you can deposit money to mtgox via Citibank and MTUFJ very quickly also?
I thought citibank did not let you do so.

I learned that Shinsei bank blocks now deposit to mtgox, tibanne, and bitstamp from the 12th of Feb.
But they let you withdraw from them.
iikun
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 08:58:49 AM

which change?

I learned that Shinsei bank blocks now deposit to mtgox, tibanne, and bitstamp from the 12th of Feb.

Really?  I didn't hear about that block. Kind of worrying.
They changed the deposit account first week of Feb. Since then deposits have been instantaneously added  literally it takes seconds.
severance26

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:11:52 AM

the main advantage to JNB is that its open 24hours and online... so you can do it from your armchair.

however, interesting to know other banks also doing fast deposits.

unfortunately, gox's burning of banks is quite worrisome. while my bet is that they are solvent, once btc withdrawals open back up, im getting out of there for a while. they are continuously saying "we are building new relationships with such and such bank" and that generally means other banks stopped taking their business.... not a good sign.
V4Vendettas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:58:21 PM

Hello from Europe

So what are Yen withdraw times at now ? Sepa is around 5-6 weeks but is at least working unlike the dollar.
Starting to think it might be worth a flight to Japan but then I would need a year long visa to even open a bank account or so I hear.  Still cant find a net bank that is also in English and not sure I can learn Japanese in an adequate time frame either.

Any tips not involving a time machine?

Respectfully

V4

markjamrobin

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 12:39:13 AM

Hello from Europe

So what are Yen withdraw times at now ? Sepa is around 5-6 weeks but is at least working unlike the dollar.
Starting to think it might be worth a flight to Japan but then I would need a year long visa to even open a bank account or so I hear.  Still cant find a net bank that is also in English and not sure I can learn Japanese in an adequate time frame either.

Respectfully

V4

Get someone that is Japanese to help you?

iikun
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 01:17:34 AM

Hello from Europe

Respectfully

V4

I think the only way that you could get it out would be to transfer to a Japanese resident but that would require a huge amount of trust no matter how you arranged it. Although earlier posts in this thread suggest even domestic yen withdrawals are taking around 4 weeks so there is no guarantee you'll get it much faster. Are you sure Sepa is only taking 5-6 weeks btw? I thought it was longer..
markjamrobin

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 01:20:45 AM

Hello from Europe

Respectfully

V4

I think the only way that you could get it out would be to transfer to a Japanese resident but that would require a huge amount of trust no matter how you arranged it. Although earlier posts in this thread suggest even domestic yen withdrawals are taking around 4 weeks so there is no guarantee you'll get it much faster. Are you sure Sepa is only taking 5-6 weeks btw? I thought it was longer..

I'm sure JPY withdrawal times have changed since this whole debacle began too. No matter what currency it appears they don't have enough.

cryptog1

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 05:39:23 AM

which change?

Really?  I didn't hear about that block. Kind of worrying.
They changed the deposit account first week of Feb. Since then deposits have been instantaneously added  literally it takes seconds.

Yes.
Shinsei told me that they are using Citibank as an intermediary to make the deposits.
So I am surprised to hear that some people are able to deposit money to mtgox from a citibank account.

Plus, recently according to "http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1yjzdg/chase_blocked_account_for_just_adding_online/", it seems that chase is blocking the remittances to bitstamp.

More and more external pressures on banks, including japan-based banks regarding their relationships with bitcoin related businesses.

Right now it appears that the best way to make deposits/withdrawal to/from mtgox is jnb.
Wondering if jnb works for remitting money to bitstamp.
Anyone has ever tried?

V4Vendettas

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 08:33:49 AM

Hello from Europe

Respectfully

V4

Dang it. Well looks like I might have to live with Sepa then but will still keep looking into it. I was just at my bank yesterday and its 5 weeks by sepa with clockwork 20 days between withdraws for me at least. Many thanks for replys.

severance26

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:44:23 AM

Right now it appears that the best way to make deposits/withdrawal to/from mtgox is jnb.
Anyone has ever tried?

Cryptog arent you a Japanese resident?

You can't make international withdrawals with furikomi. As far as I know, they don't even do kokusaisoukin. JNB is literally on the net, they have almost no physical branches, I don't believe they offer intl tx.

Dang it. Well looks like I might have to live with Sepa then but will still keep looking into it. I was just at my bank yesterday and its 5 weeks by sepa with clockwork 20 days between withdraws for me at least. Many thanks for replys.

V, opening a bank account here isn't really an option. Some people will tell you its possible, but they are only technically correct and basically tooting their own horn about their knowledge of Japan. There are many obstacles to getting an account here. The easiest way is to simply be living here. I studied Japanese for 6 years... and now I can read the JNB website, but after 3 years of it in college, no, I definitely could not read that website haha. Either give up on Japan or make a bitfriend here. I'd say PM me, but none of us trusts the other, and it'd probably inconvenience me (unless you have a boatload and are willing to give me a couple hundred bucks for my inconvenience, haha).

Also, please count in business days. Here are Japanese banking holidays (weekends are also holiday). http://www.boj.or.jp/en/about/outline/holi.htm/
It makes the conversation about delays much easier once you count out the business days, I promise. As an example, my own experiences with Gox, using domestic transfer.

Jan 5- Jan 16 This was actually 8 business days. 14th was a holiday.
Jan 27- Feb 17th This is 14 business days.

Basically all transfers requested from the 6th onwards were 14 business days, mine submitted on the 5th was both earlier in the queue, and using JNB when most people didn't have a JNB account.
People count in weeks and you get all sorts of "delays". In the end, it all stacks up very reasonably.

But hell, if you are desperate, PM me if you want. I could use the little +1 below my username.
cryptog1

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 09:36:11 AM

Anyone has ever tried?

Cryptog arent you a Japanese resident?

You can't make international withdrawals with furikomi. As far as I know, they don't even do kokusaisoukin. JNB is literally on the net, they have almost no physical branches, I don't believe they offer intl tx.

V, opening a bank account here isn't really an option. Some people will tell you its possible, but they are only technically correct and basically tooting their own horn about their knowledge of Japan. There are many obstacles to getting an account here. The easiest way is to simply be living here. I studied Japanese for 6 years... and now I can read the JNB website, but after 3 years of it in college, no, I definitely could not read that website haha. Either give up on Japan or make a bitfriend here. I'd say PM me, but none of us trusts the other, and it'd probably inconvenience me (unless you have a boatload and are willing to give me a couple hundred bucks for my inconvenience, haha).

Also, please count in business days. Here are Japanese banking holidays (weekends are also holiday). http://www.boj.or.jp/en/about/outline/holi.htm/
It makes the conversation about delays much easier once you count out the business days, I promise. As an example, my own experiences with Gox, using domestic transfer.

Jan 5- Jan 16 This was actually 8 business days. 14th was a holiday.
Jan 27- Feb 17th This is 14 business days.

Basically all transfers requested from the 6th onwards were 14 business days, mine submitted on the 5th was both earlier in the queue, and using JNB when most people didn't have a JNB account.
People count in weeks and you get all sorts of "delays". In the end, it all stacks up very reasonably.

But hell, if you are desperate, PM me if you want. I could use the little +1 below my username.

I am based out of Japan but did not know that JNB does not do international wire.
I am making up an account there now in case I need to withdraw jpy in the future, from mtgox.
Looks like mtgox will survive. I mean this is the feeling I am having now, guts feeling.
I feel they have can survive if they refocus on the Japanese market.
Their international reputation is totally tainted.
If they want to recover it they will need to change the whole team which seems unlikely because of the stubbornness of the CEO, unless the circumstances are so tough that he needs to go away.
emmettoc

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:41:47 AM

Hi,

I requested 2 withdrawals of 5,000 JPY each on 2/13 and I received them today, 2/25.

The screenshots:

Gox:

UFJ Bank:

Mizuho Bank:

I'm glad if this post helps someone.
tamronx

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:59:16 AM

Wow,
just got my 3 transactions transferred today!! Quite a big amount too!

https://i.imgur.com/bDn9oEl.jpg
medialab101

Activity: 583
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:57:30 AM

OK,

The news is in... Gox lost over 700,000 coins and is likely insolvent.

People have been getting their Japanese yen withdrawals today because Japanese residents have a better chance of suing Gox within the Japanese legal system (I imagine).

But what about those of us that had our coins stuck there. Is it likely that Gox would prioritize us for compensation if we were to take legal action within Japan.

Thoughts?
iikun
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:02:57 AM

OK,

People have been getting their Japanese yen withdrawals today because Japanese residents have a better chance of suing Gox within the Japanese legal system (I imagine).

But what about those of us that had our coins stuck there. Is it likely that Gox would prioritize us for compensation if we were to take legal action within Japan.

Thoughts?

there's no point doing payouts half-assed I think. As long as Japanese residents hold cash or btc at gox I can't see any benefit in paying out. They may even be breaking bankruptcy laws by "preferring" some customers over others.  Also puzzling is that the management should be criminally liable for allowing deposits whilst in full knowledge of what was happening, yet they didn't halt trading, deposits and some withdrawals.

btw that 700,000 lost btc story apparently doesn't have any source...someone just seems to have pulled that number out of thin air & claimed "insider knowledge"
medialab101

Activity: 583
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:11:46 AM

OK,

Thoughts?

there's no point doing payouts half-assed I think. As long as Japanese residents hold cash or btc at gox I can't see any benefit in paying out. They may even be breaking bankruptcy laws by "preferring" some customers over others.  Also puzzling is that the management should be criminally liable for allowing deposits whilst in full knowledge of what was happening, yet they didn't halt trading, deposits and some withdrawals.

btw that 700,000 lost btc story apparently doesn't have any source...someone just seems to have pulled that number out of thin air & claimed "insider knowledge"

The 700,000 yen figure is from this http://www.scribd.com/doc/209050732/MtGox-Situation-Crisis-Strategy-Draft

Trading was halted minutes after this was leaked. Minutes later the joint statement by Coinbase/ Blockchain/ etc was released... Then the web-page went down minutes later so I think it is safe to assume that this is indeed accurate.
iikun
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:16:22 AM

OK,

Thoughts?

The 700,000 yen figure is from this http://www.scribd.com/doc/209050732/MtGox-Situation-Crisis-Strategy-Draft

Trading was halted minutes after this was leaked. Minutes later the joint statement by Coinbase/ Blockchain/ etc was released... Then the web-page went down minutes later so I think it is safe to assume that this is indeed accurate.

Yeah I just found that myself as well actually. Strange it suddenly leaked right as they went offline, and it has spelling errors in several places as well but hard to believe everything is totally circumstantial. That document mentions an announcement today AM though and nothing via any channel. Interesting about gox.com as well, though if they really do follow through on that according to that document they will just try to trade off their losses  Huh
tamronx

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:16:38 AM

Apparently SEPA withdrawals arrived today as well.

They've processed tons of withdrawals today. If they really did lose 700K BTC I doubt they'd bother with chump change (we saw some 50$USD withdrawals), like anyone with less than a few thousand dollars would bother with legal actions...

Maybe they decided to "Make good" on those who had FIAT waiting and there will be a "bailout" at x% of BTC, or a cash offer at the current rate of 135$ per BTC?

Anyway I'm glad my money is back and safe in my account, I hope everyone else will get back their most, if not all of their money and I think I need to stay away from this whole drama for a few weeks.

I'll let my BTC sleep in cold storage and see where things are in a month or so...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: