Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:59:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cloud Hashing / Commodity Hashing - Why bother? Isn't hardware cheaper?  (Read 1311 times)
utdrmac (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:50:28 AM

Hi all,
I just purchased my first 3 ASIC Block Erupters (the black boxes) and have a curiosity question about cloud-hasing. I'm getting a constant 96GHs with my 3 BlockErupters. I paid $1,830 for all three devices. Thus, my $USD/GHs is $19.

Currently on cex.io, 1GHs is 0.044012BTC. So my 96GHs translates to 4.225152BTC which, converted just now on preev.com, is $3,374.

So, doesn't that make it still cheaper/more economical to own your own hardware vs investing in a GHs commodity?

In the end, why would I spend $3,374 on cex.io to purchase 96GHs when I can spend a little over half of that and run my own hardware?

Cheers!

Tips: 1drmacW6UYAfHNjRrxN7SYuN3Q9R9v6K6

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
krampus

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Village Idiot

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 04:07:52 PM

You're not missing anything. I believe that cex.io is able to continue existing solely because greed makes people retarded.

I pledge never to use this space for sleazy referrals, gambling spam, or to beg for handouts.
turtle83

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 07:40:11 PM

... because greed makes people retarded.

I disagree. It's not greed that makes people retarded. It's just that there are loads of greedy retarded people around. I consider myself greedy... but not retarded.. So i stay away from cex.io

Zeal0t

Activity: 78

To the moon?

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 09:46:05 PM

I disagree. It's not greed that makes people retarded. It's just that there are loads of greedy retarded people around. I consider myself greedy... but not retarded.. So i stay away from cex.io

And here I was starting to doubt my intelligence...  Wink

I vow never to use this space for sleazy referrals, gambling, spam, or to beg for handouts.
utdrmac (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 09:47:28 PM

Does anyone know if there is there a way for me to "sell" my GHs as a commodity on CEX.IO and turn a faster profit than pool mining?

Tips: 1drmacW6UYAfHNjRrxN7SYuN3Q9R9v6K6
krampus

Village Idiot

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:56:35 AM

Fair enough.

I pledge never to use this space for sleazy referrals, gambling spam, or to beg for handouts.
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:12:20 AM

Does anyone know if there is there a way for me to "sell" my GHs as a commodity on CEX.IO and turn a faster profit than pool mining?

If people are allowed to sell their own hashrate, all miners should do so lol.

Take a look at how much 1 GH/s can give you, and compare it with the crazy GH/s price. Cheesy
Profit Calculator: https://cex.io/calc
roy7

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:36:54 AM

Also the value of a GH/s should only depreciate each day as more hashpower adds to the network, making the GH/s continually less productive. If the cost was similar to buying hardware, I'd be quite interested. But people massively overpaying have pushed the price beyond common sense.
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:50:15 AM

Of course not. The entire business model of CEX.IO is so that BitFury (the ASIC manufacturer behind it all) can sell their hash-power for far above it's actual value. The whole trading between users stuff that comes after is just to keep people interested. If CEX would allow regular users to sell their own mining power (or at least short the GHs units in any way), the price would go down considerably.
Sonny

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:15:52 PM

The entire business model of CEX.IO is so that BitFury (the ASIC manufacturer behind it all) can sell their hash-power for far above it's actual value.

Exactly.
But still, I am really confused why people buy the hashrate at such a high price...
krampus

Village Idiot

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:43:18 PM

But still, I am really confused why people buy the hashrate at such a high price...

Because greed makes people (some people, anyway) retarded.

crocko

Activity: 826

'All that glitters is not gold'

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:10:17 PM

It is OK to purchase GH/s from CEX.io !!!
Why ?
For training  Smiley
You will learn how real mining for Satoshi is without spending thousands of dollars and waiting on pre-orders.
You can have your GH/s instant and you can sell them back too. You can exchange your BTC and NMC right there.
You can exercise simple but essential operations like withdraw / add funds / TFA security etc.
In the end you will find the answer if mining / trading are really for you.

Find my posts helpful? Click my Trust link and rep me!
BTC: 1MqUxoDQE8Q88sDvoaLMbBJSMToSfPgKSy  DOGE: D61Na9wjuneAn9GFLRNrHgWHHFwVfd1T7y  LTC: 3Luo136zrqkCi53jT72FEY52GbwW1ZYi6X
turtle83

Activity: 322

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 09:24:51 PM

Why ?
For training  Smiley
You will learn how real mining for Satoshi is without spending thousands of dollars and waiting on pre-orders.
You can have your GH/s instant and you can sell them back too. You can exchange your BTC and NMC right there.
You can exercise simple but essential operations like withdraw / add funds / TFA security etc.

It is OK to purchase lottery tickets!!!
Why ?
For training  Smiley
You will learn how statistical probability works without spending nights actually reading up on math.
You can have your ticket instant and you can sell them to your friends at premium if they have repeating digits.
You can exercise simple but essential operations like paying cashier/scratching card/driving to store/physical security(of ticket) etc.
In the end you will find the answer if continuing to play lottery is really for you.

nezarkadhem

Activity: 94

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 09:51:52 PM

It's a simple math formula. Hashing / per dollar. The dollar part doesn't only include hardware costs. It includes electrical bills, mechanical problems, and your time. cex.io is not profitable. But you could look at some of the group buys on here. Those are.

Awaiting the Neptune & Viper
freebit13

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:10:15 PM

Why ?
For training  Smiley

Why ?
For training  Smiley
You will learn how statistical probability works without spending nights actually reading up on math.
You can have your ticket instant and you can sell them to your friends at premium if they have repeating digits.
You can exercise simple but essential operations like paying cashier/scratching card/driving to store/physical security(of ticket) etc.
In the end you will find the answer if continuing to play lottery is really for you.

Not true, the statistical probability that you will make a return on a lottery ticket is above 0! Lottery Tickets FTW! Tongue

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
Sonny

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:51:31 AM

Why ?
For training  Smiley

Why ?
For training  Smiley

Literally lol Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: