Bitcoin Forum
June 10, 2024, 02:06:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How can the thief be found or my coins recovered?
totally gone - 219 (86.2%)
lawsuit - 18 (7.1%)
techinical help - 17 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 254

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 90 BTC stolen!  (Read 13944 times)
downying

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 02:02:57 AM

Looking at the bright side, it's just 90BTC. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=590090.0
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 02:40:59 AM

I feel like all these stories require further investigation. As much as we all like to talk about backdoors and keyloggers, I have yet to hear ANYONE losing their accounts to keyloggers.

there has actually been some scamming alt coins which has a trojan in their wallet program to steal your btc wallet.dat..

thats why any altcoins i get go to coinex.pw and get converted to btc, and then only store btc long term away from exchanges

Hearing this makes me sick to my stomach.  Seriously Sad   I am really sorry to hear about your loss...
cinnamon_carter
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 03:22:04 AM

if you have not tried to restore the wallet yet you may find this useful:

I would seek the advice of some others before trying it , but if the btc is gone from that particular wallet i don't see how it can hurt anything.

In your case you would need to get what you are certain is a clean computer to run the bitcoin client on and I will describe how to rebuild your wallet,

1) Back up your entire folder that holds your wallet..  On windows find that in your directory

Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin   back it up in a safe place offline if possible

2)  Start the qt wallet and export a log of all your present transactions and id's for safekeeping. From the transactions tab of the wallet click on file , export and save it in a safe place.

3) Click on Help, then debug window and finally the console tab to bring up the command line

4) On the command line type (no quotes) "listaddressgroupings"  Copy and paste all the addresses to a text file. You can do them one at or time or all together. Save that text file but keep it open.

5) For each address (you may have only a few or several) type on the command line of your qt wallet (again no quotes)

'dumpprivkey' and a space then after paste in the address.  The client will then give you a long set of letters and numbers.  Copy and paste this with the address it matches up with in your text file to use later.

6)  Repeat step 5 for each address that you have.  You can copy each individually as you go or you can wait until finished and copy and paste the entire thing to a windows text file.  Don't forget any.  When finished save that text file in a safe place.  If you copied the entire list at once windows may give you an error about saving special characters (should be safe to ignore).

7)  Close the wallet.  Delete anything in the Users\name\AppData\Roaming\BitCoin folder  EXCEPT your conf file (unless you don't have one) and make sure you have everything backed up.  (Not recommended to back up in this folder). 

Cool Make sure you have the most up to date version of the bitcoin client qt wallet installed.

9) Use the same method as in step 3 above to open the command line.  Get that text file with the list of addresses and private keys and type on the command line (again no quotes) 'importprivkey' , a space, then paste a private key after it and hit enter. Wait a few seconds for the client to accept the command. Repeat as many times as necessary depending on how many private keys you had. Don't forget any.  If you try to do one twice you should get an error.

10) Close your qt wallet up. It does not matter how much of the blockchain may have downloaded. Now let the entire blockchain download. Do not try any transactions just let it rolll.

11) When the blockchain is complete normally your coins would all be in there where they belong.  If  they were stolen by someone cloning your wallet and using these keys to steal them they will not be there. 

12)  Good practices: Never allow anyone to have access to your private keys.  Keep the swap file disabled on any computer you use. If you own a large amount of bitcoin like this you should keep it in a secured (locked) wallet with a complex passcode which you can also encrypt and store off line

I saw a few other useful posts in this thread earlier for security in general.  Most of it seemed like sound advice.

The method I described above is normally what would be used if you had lost coins from a paper wallet or if your wallet.dat file was corrupt for some reason and would not properly load or 'show' your coins.  Just make sure that in this case you are performing this on an entirely clean system since you have not tracked down the method the thief used.  I would even take the precaution to connect to the web to get the blockchain from a friends home or alternate source in case your local network is owned and the thief has control depending on your experience with these things.

Check out my coin Photon
Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/

The obvious choice is not always the best choice.

LOOK DEEPER - Look into the Blake 256 Family -- CC
ozycash

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 03:24:45 AM

I thought a double-direction arrow and "n/a" in the transaction field in Bitcoin-Qt represented a transaction between addresses within the same wallet?
correct he has sent them to the same wallet or used an online wallet
there is still no proof that any btc has been stolen from a private wallet

the best faucet instant payment
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 03:41:35 AM

I was tracing address and found this one. https://blockchain.info/address/19j4FchgymsbQDmFdx4VdC4vjzfX5fCh4K
9.09$ transaction  (https://blockchain.info/address/13YFV8ci44svtjfSQ7XzN3m6SNS3ksHW8m)

someone posted it here  http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1zjqgg/dangers_of_using_blockchaininfo_receive_api_they/

You should ask from this guy http://www.reddit.com/user/DeftNerd  that who owns 19j4 address maybe you can find a clue about your coins.
jeffersonairplane
Legendary

Activity: 1522
Merit: 1000

www.bitkong.com

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 03:50:13 AM

It's gone. You won't be able to do much about this unfortunately. You'll have to take the loss.

BTCitcointalk
.    ██████████████████████████████████
                                                                 ██
                                                               ███   ██
                                                      ██      ███  ███
                                                     ███     ██  ███  ██
    ▄▄████▄▄    █▌                                         ███  ██  ██
  ██▀       ▀▀  █▌                                   ▀▀   ██▌███  ███ ██
▄█              █▌  ▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄   ▄   ▄▄▄█▄████████ ████   
█▌              ███▀.   ██    ██     ▀███   ███▀
   ████████████████      ▐█
█               ██       █   ██        ██   ██
     █████████▌██████       ▐█
█▌              █▌       █▌  █         ██   ██
      ██████████▀   █       ▐█
 █▄             █▌       █▌
█████████████████████████████████▌     █       ██
  ▀██▄     ▄██  ██
████████▌██████████████████████████████████     ██▄   ▄███
     ▀████▀▀████████████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████               ██▄▀▀██    ▀▀▀  ██
   ███▀▀▄▄▄█████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██████▄     ██
 ███▄▄██████████▀                                                 ▀█████▀▀
                                                                        ███

█████████████████████████████
Program

❤️
Give Hope To Everyone
━━━━━━━» $1 Is A Big Thing For Them

❤️
blumangroup

Activity: 350

'Slow and steady wins the race'

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 04:50:11 AM

The BTC is gone for good (almost certainly)

One thing that I noticed is that a small amount of BTC was sent to BTC addresses associated with the theft and then were sent to another BTC address, however you included a message saying the funds were stolen when the coins were transferred out of the address, not into the address. I would presume that the person who signed the transaction to send the coins out of the address was able to include a message saying the coins were stolen.

cloudthink.io   

Truly Profitable Investment Packages
Custom-Built ASIC Miners ● #1 Self-Sustainable Bitcoin Mining Service in the World ●
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3260

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 05:29:14 AM

I'm a little skeptical. philipzhai appears to be a newbie, but take a look at the addresses he claims the coins were stolen from:

1CLn42dHFuXAd7o9bgrsCRmfDvLavRoxTq is over a year old and there are 121 transactions for a total of 5,657 BTC. In the first transaction, it received nearly 900 BTC.
1H4esgi6KwhDtVXZXJ12AS7QEwdeQighn4 has been receiving mining income for almost 2 years.

Do you believe that the original post was written by someone that has been mining for nearly 2 years and has more than 100 transactions worth 5657 BTC?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 05:49:51 AM

I thought a double-direction arrow and "n/a" in the transaction field in Bitcoin-Qt represented a transaction between addresses within the same wallet?

^^ THIS

OP, I realize it is probably to late now, but did you ever try using the debug console (on both wallets) to dump the private key to that address?

Open debug Window
Then type:
dumprivkey<1CLn42dHFuXAd7o9bgrsCRmfDvLavRoxTq>
and then try:
dumpprivkey<1H4esgi6KwhDtVXZXJ12AS7QEwdeQighn4>

Just curious.
CryptoKilla

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 06:21:40 AM

I'm a little skeptical. philipzhai appears to be a newbie, but take a look at the addresses he claims the coins were stolen from:

1CLn42dHFuXAd7o9bgrsCRmfDvLavRoxTq is over a year old and there are 121 transactions for a total of 5,657 BTC. In the first transaction, it received nearly 900 BTC.
1H4esgi6KwhDtVXZXJ12AS7QEwdeQighn4 has been receiving mining income for almost 2 years.

Do you believe that the original post was written by someone that has been mining for nearly 2 years and has more than 100 transactions worth 5657 BTC?

That is very interesting. I think you may be on to something here.
However, if it is true, sorry about your loss OP. I hope you have recovered from this.

Get Free Bitcoin on Crypto Account!   24/7 CryptoCurrency Trading   ▷ Check
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 06:22:58 AM

That is very interesting. I think you may be on to something here.
However, if it is true, sorry about your loss OP. I hope you have recovered from this.

It is hard to get away with deceit here. I have no reason to doubt the original poster and hope he gets his coins back.

Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 08:58:02 AM

If the dude isn't looking for donations, why would he lie ?
I am all for thinking the worst in people, but come on guys Smiley

hystericG

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 11:01:55 AM

OP could you address this? It's a valid point.
darlidada

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 12:09:15 PM

OP could you address this? It's a valid point.

How is that remotely a valid point ? Just because he has a newbie tag, it means he's a newbie ?! Seriously.... Come on! Think !

I'd rather know what OS he is running, what wallet he was using to hold his coins and what steps he had taken to protect them.
Ilsk
Legendary

Activity: 833
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 03:52:13 PM

A lot of people use bitcoin but write on bitcointalk only when they need help.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 03:54:06 PM

Wow very sorry to hear that. I wish you the best of luck getting your BTC back!

btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 03:59:02 PM

Using Windows? It's full of malware and keyloggers. Switch to Linux, it's serious OS.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 04:03:13 PM

I do not have any malware or key loggers on my PC according to my antivirus software. the wallet software was not even active when the transaction was supposedly executed - I launched it at around 12:45.

Windows antivirus softwares are not complete protection against malware. I've seen so many cases when antivirus software just can't see malware and block it. I administer around 500 computers, know what I'm talkig about.

Linux is the only way for fairly secure computing.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 04:14:54 PM

I do not have any malware or key loggers on my PC according to my antivirus software. the wallet software was not even active when the transaction was supposedly executed - I launched it at around 12:45.

Windows antivirus softwares are not complete protection against malware. I've seen so many cases when antivirus software just can't see malware and block it. I administer around 500 computers, know what I'm talkig about.

Linux is the only way for fairly secure computing.

Anti-virus is only a 'fishing net' so to say, it may catch most of the spyware and viruses but not all. This is because, at the time a virus scanner is developed, several new viruses could be made - or they could come out after the virus scanner is released.
Linux is not the only way, I think you should be good with systems like FreeBSD also.

escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 05:14:30 PM

Using Windows? It's full of malware and keyloggers. Switch to Linux, it's serious OS.

http://unrecom.net/features.html   Works on Windows,Mac, Linux and android via Java
I keep getting it in phishing/fake emails.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: