Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 05:09:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HashFast Sierra's Owners Thread  (Read 23757 times)
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 12:43:41 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2014, 01:05:48 PM by jspielberg

Thanks Gateway for the board layout pictures.  That helps clear things up.

I haven't done much exploration of my BJ1 units other than to get them mining, and experiment with different external fan arrangements.  I ordered some corsair i100 coolers in anticipation of the MPP.  It is looking like the Seirra's seem more efficient than single BJ1s, so I may arrange my MPPs are seirras.

Thanks again for the technical details of your sierra.
gateway (OP)

Activity: 552
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 05:48:19 PM

I have several arriving soon. I'm really hoping they can be hosted on one host.

Im trying cg and bfg today with more than one plugged in..

Ill be testing the following:

Starting with more than one sierra plugged in at start
Stopping the miner and restarting it (biggest issue I had)
gateway (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 05:52:08 PM

I haven't done much exploration of my BJ1 units other than to get them mining, and experiment with different external fan arrangements.  I ordered some corsair i100 coolers in anticipation of the MPP.  It is looking like the Seirra's seem more efficient than single BJ1s, so I may arrange my MPPs are seirras.

What are your Jets running at temp wise? You need to only really worry if they pass 90 and at 100 the chip will shut every thing down.

Also are you using the --hfa-hash-clock <number between 550-650> (Sweet spot for most of my boards are around 600 or 610, but you need to play with each board and look after a few hours at the place your mining)

I also hang out on irc #eligius if you have any questions.
gateway (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:19:25 PM

2 Sierras running under cgminer 3.12x right now..

gateway (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 08:31:27 PM

Update..

Im able to stop and restart cgminer about 95% of the time now and the boxes come back up but I had it a few times where I would have to power cycle and unplug and start fresh again..

If your 2nd or 3rd device comes up with ZOMBIE give it a few to re-kick in..

more testing results to come.

spectre2112

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 09:17:52 PM

What can you tell me about the "AUX POWER" connector?
Is it the same as what you'd use for a 3.5" Floppy Drive?
I take it it's connected to the power supply - not somewhere else inside the case?
I see it's a 5 pin connector, but most of the floppy drive connectors I see are 5 pins but 4 wires; what does this one have?

Thanks for the info!

EDIT: Sorry - mine hasn't arrived, or I'd be able to see for myself.
dominic25

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

Don

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 01:44:25 AM

Hello, Does a beagle bone black work with the Sierras? If yes, what are the commands?
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:37:39 AM

Hello, Does a beagle bone black work with the Sierras?

Yes, you run Linux on it and install cgminer

If yes, what are the commands?

Is this even a serious question?
Micky25
Legendary

Activity: 974
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 05:47:58 PM

+ 1 and thanks for the thread.
gateway (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 08:41:40 PM

No problem.. my next task is to figure out a good way to define what is the best clock rate per box.. they are all a bit different, I'm waiting for hopefully cgminer or bfgminer to allow me to adjust the clock rate via api and would write a script that would try clock rates though a range and report the best after running for some time since it takes a good 10-20 min for a good average reading.

Also if you get these boxes I suggest you mine at the eligius pool Smiley and if you do ever have questions about the pool or sierras im usually hanging out on the irc channel #eligius

gateway (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 08:44:55 PM

Here are some mining boxes pics

These are on our test bench in our server room.. finding enough power on that bench was quite a challenge Smiley you can see on the right a jupiter with its cover off..

Back of some boxes.. 2 psu's one usb connector out per box..

Some of them in one of my racks..
jddebug

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 08:55:03 PM

Thanks Gateway for the board layout pictures.  That helps clear things up.

No problem.. my next task is to figure out a good way to define what is the best clock rate per box.. they are all a bit different, I'm waiting for hopefully cgminer or bfgminer to allow me to adjust the clock rate via api and would write a script that would try clock rates though a range and report the best after running for some time since it takes a good 10-20 min for a good average reading.

Also if you get these boxes I suggest you mine at the eligius pool Smiley and if you do ever have questions about the pool or sierras im usually hanging out on the irc channel #eligius

What have you found to be a good starting point for OC and is there a point where the tradeoff for speed is drowned by the extra wattage?

How many watts can the PSU's support?
gateway (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 09:32:26 PM

Thanks Gateway for the board layout pictures.  That helps clear things up.

What have you found to be a good starting point for OC and is there a point where the tradeoff for speed is drowned by the extra wattage?

How many watts can the PSU's support?

600 or 610, but OC at your own risk.. Off the top of my head I dont recall what the psu's are.. maybe 750's op 850s.. i know the jets come with 1000 watts

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 1635

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 11:38:40 PM

I'd say 612 is the magic number. The device has only certain values that work and if you ask it for 610 it rounds up to 612 automatically. It's well within the power limits of the device at that speed and most of the silicon seems to be happy at that value from the various reports I've heard.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
dietrich67

Activity: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 06:24:31 PM

In one of the initial posts you mention how to get a Sierra going on a Win7 machine. I was wondering if anyone has actually verified that works.

When Hashfast redid their website, the new sierra prose on there is much more specific to Linux than the original. Not having any Linux rig around and with my Sierra (hopefully) coming towards month-end I'm a little worried it will be sitting here not mining while I madly scramble to get something connected to it so I can run it.

Looking forward to seeing overclocking FAQs and results.

Thanks big time for creating this thread.

D
jddebug

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 07:14:09 PM

In one of the initial posts you mention how to get a Sierra going on a Win7 machine. I was wondering if anyone has actually verified that works.

When Hashfast redid their website, the new sierra prose on there is much more specific to Linux than the original. Not having any Linux rig around and with my Sierra (hopefully) coming towards month-end I'm a little worried it will be sitting here not mining while I madly scramble to get something connected to it so I can run it.

D

Seems to work equally as well with windows 7 or linux. I am using both.
dietrich67

Activity: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 09:40:43 PM

D

Seems to work equally as well with windows 7 or linux. I am using both.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Does the hashrate on the Sierra automatically adjust higher/lower based on temperature, or is it a manual setting?
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 1635

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 12:15:29 AM

It's currently a manual setting for a single speed. I have code in cgminer now for adjusting each die separately automatically by temperature but new firmware will be needed for the devices to benefit from this code. Fan control is coming soon too. I'm closely working with one of the engineers on that front and hopefully they will make it easy to flash the new firmware once it's finalised.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
spectre2112

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 03:40:24 AM

Would someone who has looked inside their HF please tell me what color the wires are on the white 5 pin Auxiliary Power connector are (back to front) - it's the one near the USB header on the motherboard.

Mine hasn't arrived yet, or I'd do it myself.

TYIA!
gateway (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 10:00:16 PM

Hey guys, I just ran into an issue of wanting to upgrade because a new version of software and or firmware was released.  I was bitten by the my Sierras where down over night bug and just wanted to say to everyone here esp since this is still all wip with miner software and or firmware please jump on things quickly because well you end up like me with lost btc generated.  Anyhow things happen and I will do my best on this forum to post my results of new updates and smoke test them so you guys dont have to.. Ill plan to donate one sierra to updates and test them for a day or so to make sure nothings is wrong and report back here.

Right now their was a bug in cgminer 3.12.1 that came out last night that if you updated you prob know that something broke after a period of time, this now has a hotfix which im testing, if you want to avoid both I suggest using 3.10 for the weekend (esp if you dont have access to your boxes easily.)  Ill report back in a few hours before im off to the SF Beer Week opening party and let you guys know how the 3.12.2 is doing with the Sierras.

cheers!

More updates and into go come Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: