Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:11:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: delete  (Read 23309 times)
Sekioh

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 01:35:14 PM

It would be trivial to patch the client and create a save point, we don't even have to mark it now, we could do it later by looking up the block on blockexplorer or somesuch history. Get a hash, code in an exception.

The /issue/ is getting the entirety or at least 51% legitimate miners to download the new client at the same time frame of a day or two. (otherwise the new patched client will get rejected by the 'corrupted client chain' seeing that as the longest chain still based on their rules)

<OPEN MONEY | Powering Blockchain Acceptance [ICO]
███████████████    ▬▬▬▬▬▬ Blockchain Meets Mainstream! ▬▬▬▬▬▬    ███████████████
Whitepaper  ●  Slack  ●  Facebook  ●  Twitter  ●  Reddit  ●  Telegram>

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
elggawf

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 04:44:46 PM

Bitcoins are also experimental even in the words of Gavin Andresen. So would you advocate an attack on the bitcoin network too if someone had enough hashing power to kill the network? Something tells me you would be against it.

Uhh, if someone can do this to the Bitcoin network, then the Bitcoin network is already dead? I mean, the whole proof-of-work thing is designed to make it economically unfeasible to attack - if it turns out there's a way to make it viable, then the idea is doomed no matter what happens. Any person(s) being "against it" or not is completely irrelevant. It's just a bit like crying "no fair" when someone's robbing you at gunpoint.

^_^
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 04:47:54 PM

I'm surprised users like the one who's threatening and damaging the Bitcoin community like this, gets room to speak on this forum.
joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 04:55:21 PM

I agree magnet, this crap makes btc coin look like a joke. This whole forum reeks right now. There is a point to free speech and there is a point to trying to run a business friendly forum. Do we want the childish people here? What is the point of the newbie area, if we let people like bitcoinexpress troll the entire forum with his childish attacks?

mooo for rent
elggawf

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 04:56:36 PM

I agree magnet, this crap makes btc coin look like a joke. This whole forum reeks right now. There is a point to free speech and there is a point to trying to run a business friendly forum. Do we want the childish people here? What is the point of the newbie area, if we let people like bitcoinexpress troll the entire forum with his childish attacks?

As a business owner, I care if this sort of thing is possible. I'd rather some jack-off boasting about it in advance, than someone just silently doing it for the lulz.

^_^
todu

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 05:07:43 PM

I'm surprised users like the one who's threatening and damaging the Bitcoin community like this, gets room to speak on this forum.

I'm (positively) surprised. I don't condone what he's doing, but refusing to speak to him will not make the attack not happen. He would simply do it anyway. We can still do whatever we can to stop him from succeeding. Having a direct line of communication to your enemy is mutually beneficial.

Can someone record a screencast of the attack and post it to youtube? It would be interesting to watch the video afterwards in case there are some lessons that could be learned. There was a guy who recorded the Mt. Gox first incident when the prices fell to below one usd. It was interesting to watch his reaction and comments. That time it was only a fluke that he could get in on tape. This time we could be prepared and have analyzing software running and ready for the 19001 block (when the attack is scheduled).

Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 05:17:53 PM

Bitcoins are also experimental even in the words of Gavin Andresen. So would you advocate an attack on the bitcoin network too if someone had enough hashing power to kill the network? Something tells me you would be against it.

Uhh, if someone can do this to the Bitcoin network, then the Bitcoin network is already dead?

Um, no, and in fact "this thing" (the "blocks from the future/blocks into the past" technique specifically, not the fact that a person with 51+% of a net can break some stuff) is verily patchable, as Geist illustrates.

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 05:32:12 PM

Wow, stop being crybabies and start securing Namecoin.

Yeah, the guy is going to punch you in the face really hard, but he's kind enough to tell you a couple days before. Use that time to prepare yourself, and find a way to defend that chain. How can you defend Namecoin? I don't know, but one thing sure, whining against the attack doesn't help, and the time you use to whine is time that's not used to find a solution.

I didn't really care that much of Namecoin before, and now I find it completely irrelevant if the only way of defense that its users find is to whine.
JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 05:42:02 PM

Seriously, btcEspresso, what you don't like about merged mining?

He makes a serious profit by mining new chains very early and then selling his coins for BTC while they are in bubble price. Merged mining will undermine his power if new chains start coming with merged mining enabled from block 1 and pool ready. I think that's the reason.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: