Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 06:57:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin: Disaster Proof?  (Read 4725 times)
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
March 17, 2011, 08:01:16 AM

Would Luna based machines talk directly with machines on Terra's ground or would it talk with Terran satelites, or even it's own satelite network that in turn would talk with Terran satelites?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Thndr

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 17, 2011, 10:52:26 AM

Would Luna based machines talk directly with machines on Terra's ground or would it talk with Terran satelites, or even it's own satelite network that in turn would talk with Terran satelites?

Well a proper networking system on the moon would have both a direct (unreliable) connection through whatever medium (Light, Radio), and an indirect (satellites) connection. Routing would take the fastest route in which could vary, and bother types of connections would provide backup for each other just in case one fails.

This is more of a concern for internet on the moon rather than any sort of Bitcoin nodes, since Bitcoin uses the internet (or any available and compatable network) to work. As long as computers from both locations can communicate, then Bitcoin will work.

Just to cover all bases, I also will assume you mean specific bitcoin satellite nodes as well. In which the answer would still be both, as those nodes would most likely be networking satellites that run a bitcoin client (making money for the owner with transaction fees)

◈◈   SOCIALMEDIA.MARKET   ◈◈   BLOCKCHAIN BASED Influencer Marketing Platform
ANN Thread   WhitePaper   Facebook   Telegram   Twitter
▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰   TOKEN SALE : 09 February - 16 March   ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰
TiagoTiago

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 09:00:24 PM

I'm curious regarding whether the Moon would be under the coverage of the Internet all the time or if during periods of it's orbit and Earth's rotation (like when it's going over the ocean) it would stay "offline".

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 09:12:46 AM

I think what could hurt it most, besides the loss of people using Bitcoin that died in the disaster, would be if the Internet got split into two or more significant non-interconnected groups for a prolonged period of time; any coin mined during the period is under the risk of eventually being wiped from existence when the Internet becomes one once again.

I wonder what would happen to Bitcoin if Earth went in the bullseye of a severe solar storm of the type that not only fries satelites but also lights on fire electrical, telephone etc wires closer to ground (some time ago telegraph wires went aflame under such an event)

If all of our electrical equipment ceased to work. I doubt there would be much of a world left, let alone bitcoin.

Police and authoritarian figures couldn't communicate. TVs couldn't sooth the public back to sleep. It would be mayhem.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 10:14:11 AM

TVs couldn't sooth the public back to sleep.

Would there be some way to recharge the mobile to continue playing angry birds?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Thndr

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 11:55:03 AM

TVs couldn't sooth the public back to sleep.

Would there be some way to recharge the mobile to continue playing angry birds?
Solar Ipod chargers. They'll be used as barter currency.

◈◈   SOCIALMEDIA.MARKET   ◈◈   BLOCKCHAIN BASED Influencer Marketing Platform
ANN Thread   WhitePaper   Facebook   Telegram   Twitter
▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰   TOKEN SALE : 09 February - 16 March   ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰
TiagoTiago

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 01:50:19 PM

I think what could hurt it most, besides the loss of people using Bitcoin that died in the disaster, would be if the Internet got split into two or more significant non-interconnected groups for a prolonged period of time; any coin mined during the period is under the risk of eventually being wiped from existence when the Internet becomes one once again.

I wonder what would happen to Bitcoin if Earth went in the bullseye of a severe solar storm of the type that not only fries satelites but also lights on fire electrical, telephone etc wires closer to ground (some time ago telegraph wires went aflame under such an event)

If all of our electrical equipment ceased to work. I doubt there would be much of a world left, let alone bitcoin.

Police and authoritarian figures couldn't communicate. TVs couldn't sooth the public back to sleep. It would be mayhem.

I would expect many of them to have equipment that can withstand EMPs, directed energy weapons etc to a significantly greater extent than comercial and private devices.

Do you like mmmBananas?!
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 03:05:09 PM

I would expect many of them to have equipment that can withstand EMPs, directed energy weapons etc to a significantly greater extent than comercial and private devices.

Yes, they do.  So do I.  It's not particularly difficult to build a small faraday cage to store your ham radio in, while it's not in use.  And I learned the cheap & easy tricks to do that while in the USMC attached to a Communications Company

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: