Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:41:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Cryptocurrency wallets: Can they be hacked??  (Read 4048 times)
shabinmathew23

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 07:02:18 AM

I am very interested to know if cryptocurrency wallets like Bitcoin Core, NEON, Electrum can ever be hacked ?

There has been some hacking of them due to the badly written code, for instance famous parity wallet, multisig wallets were hacked for ether and funds were locked in contracts. It is irreversible without hard fork. So it can be hacked but only if it was coded poorly...

somebody tried to login into my  hitbtc.com account when i was outside .. luckily i didnt store any coins there  but i got a mail  that     
Hello,
This email is to notify you of a successful login to your HitBTC account from an IP address not previously associated with this account.

Login details:

Date (UTC):   2018.06.19 14:19
event:   Sign-in
device:   desktop
browser:   Chrome 58.0
operation_system:   WinNT

they even changed my password of my account

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
soltantgris

Activity: 741
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 02:07:32 PM

I am very interested to know if cryptocurrency wallets like Bitcoin Core, NEON, Electrum can ever be hacked ?

I think they all are trying to provide most secure system from all the other wallets in order to be first from many competitors. And you can make sure that your money is in secure place.
btc-facebook
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 02:28:16 PM

AFAIK , it can be hack but as long as you updated the wallet, I think you can worry less.
I'm usually use etherium as my offline wallet and I always update it so over 2 years that I've use it, I'm never experience any problem !
Whosdaddy

Activity: 1148
Merit: 527

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 02:34:38 PM

If anyone think his or her wallet can not be hacked let him expose his private key,but be warned never to try that,even though i have not personally experienced it people around me have, technology which has its good and bad side has made it possible for wallets to be hacked.
Exposure of private key is more like willingly and stupidly giving out full access to your accounts, but I would not call that hacking anyway since the hacker never had to go through some vigorous process in getting that. However, for some who may have a PC that is insecure with some information such as private key stored on it, the possibility of the PC getting crawled into and seeing everything needed to see as well as the private key is there which is why it is always important to be very careful where certain information are stored.
justdimin

Activity: 2996
Merit: 670

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 02:40:46 PM

It can be hacked if mistakenly given out to the wrong persons. Some people might call your attention to It and some will just use it as an opportunity to get into your account and ripp off your coins or tokens. It happened to a friend of mine, his account was hacked and the person that hacked into it continued to remove every coin paid into it. He had no choice but to open another account.
Most times, the fault is always from the users. The hackers cannot have complete access to one's account by trying to use some forceful means to get in without at least making it easy for them. Most times, the security features added to accounts as well as the possibility of trying as much as possible to stay safe should not be discarded as that is the easiest way to stay out of the trap of hackers.

Also, it depends on the wallet being used, but the security gets stronger as you move from centralized wallet to cold storage.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Sled

Activity: 1680
Merit: 535

Bitcoin- in bullish time

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 03:20:44 PM

If it is an online wallet and it is not like the offline wallet like paper wallet and hardware wallet then i think that it can be hack by the hackers especially the professional hackers in the dark web but if you are worrying for the security of your coins then go to a hardware wallet website and get one of their product to assure the security of your coin.
Eureka_07

Activity: 1750
Merit: 260

Binance #SWGT and CERTIK Audited

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 03:25:41 PM

Yes ofcourse. Any wallet can be hacked due to negligence. Trusting people with your private keys or personal informations will be too risky for you and your money. You should be the only one who knows these. We cannot predict when these hackers will attack your wallet and get all your money so make sure you keep the important things in a safe place.

shagger

Activity: 46

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 03:31:57 PM

resty

Activity: 501
Merit: 147

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 03:41:04 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2018, 04:48:01 PM by resty

Hackers are always there, phishing sites are still there. What we can do is to be aware about what we are visiting. Its our responsibility to protect it. In the latest news a known exchanger gets hack and a lot of users are being affected by it. Why I want to say is that there is no impossible for the hackers, they are always experimenting a way to hack certain sites.
KorakPawon

Activity: 350
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 03:51:45 PM

bitcoin uses a cryptographic function so it is far less likely that bitcoin values can be altered or manipulated, even if they happen to be unfortunate or unexpected events, so keep careful and careful to avoid unintentional things.
developer101dev

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 04:04:02 PM

In my own opinion, most of the traders here in the market are being hacked or scammed due to  their own recklesness, they tend to reveal their self on phishing sites unintentionally or the market where they place their coin is a having a problem on their own system and there's a possibility to lose your coin in that case as well..
agentx44

Activity: 756
Merit: 268

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 04:12:40 PM

In my own point of view, today there are many good hackers everywhere, so even you store all of your cryptocurrencies in the greatest wallet i think they could find a way to hacked it and steal of your cryptocurrencies. Just always be careful and avoid giving information in any of your accounts to untrusted people for you not to be hacked.
JackssHarriss

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 05:09:11 PM

Cryptocurrency wallets can definitely be hacked. That's why its so important to be smart when choosing a platform to trade on. Look into HBUS, it's the strategic partner of Huobi that is available to American users. This also means that they use the same secure technology as Huobi, which has never been hacked, meaning your wallet will be secure. HBUS is launching on July 6, go check out their website www.hbus.com and register with them to get free trading days.
PlanetZebes

Activity: 68
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 05:15:36 PM

Maybe they can find an exploit. I know a few months ago here on bitcointalk they had a warning on the top of every page telling users to update their Electrum Bitcoin wallet. Very Stern warning.
goldade

Activity: 896
Merit: 104

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 05:36:17 PM

My answer to your question is yes.  Cryptocurrencies wallet can be hacked. However, a wallet is susceptible to being hacked if only you are negligent.
To avoid being hacked,  you need to keep your private keys safe and avoid giving out sensitive information about your account to untrusted people.
Another way to avoid being hacked to always use one computer system preferably your personal computer,  to access your wallet.

reda

Activity: 910
Merit: 260

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 06:11:54 PM

My answer to your question is yes.  Cryptocurrencies wallet can be hacked. However, a wallet is susceptible to being hacked if only you are negligent.
To avoid being hacked,  you need to keep your private keys safe and avoid giving out sensitive information about your account to untrusted people.
Another way to avoid being hacked to always use one computer system preferably your personal computer,  to access your wallet.

You are the responsible your wallet. So don't share the any wallet information. It good future saving and easy to exchange the coin. Wallet is connect with your personal mail ID. So it safe. But don't loss your wallet information. So hacker wait for that movement. So safely use the wallet and link with other mail ID. It good for the future saving wallet. People use the wallet for the save and get more profit.
BitcoinMarketer39

Activity: 392

ADABsSsSsSsSSSsS

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 06:19:09 PM

In my own opinion, cryptocurrency cannot be easily hacked because the wallets like mew or myethereumwallet is multi encrypted and the only way for you to lose your coins is by  revealing your self through phishing sites so you should always be careful on the sites you are logging in your wallet.

logicgate

Activity: 994
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 07:37:19 PM

I think they all are trying to provide most secure system from all the other wallets in order to be first from many competitors. And you can make sure that your money is in secure place.
  Now a day bitcoin wallet has become more safe and more easy to hold, I think bitcoin will be the best, It is all about the holders and it is about the users, if you will share about your bitcoin wallet private key with anyone who is stranger to you, it is not so easy to hack as it has become modernized, bitcoin best wallet is blockchain, which is unshakeable, it gives us safety for long term.
carcas

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 10:50:29 PM

It could happen if you open a phishing website or a fake wallet provider address asking for your private key to access your wallet. carefully use the wallet and note the website address of the wallet service provider.
West0813

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 10:54:44 PM

I think everything that is in the internet are prone to hacking. Hackers are everywhere and waiting for us to make mistake. Its up to us how we can protect our wallets.

stobox
DIGITAL ASSETS ECOSYSTEM
───────  Website ⬝  WhitepaperTwitterFacebookTelegramLinkedin   ───────
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: