Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 08:07:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Strategies for minimizing losses  (Read 414 times)
chocopapaya (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 131

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2018, 03:17:04 PM

Please choose one that you feel is the best solution when you have lost substantial value on your investments (or add another strategy to help out the community):

#1 Realize that you don't actually lose anything until you actually sell at a loss.  So you go outside, ride a bike, read a book, resist the urge to check coinmarketcap and just hodl.

#2 Come onto bitcointalk and whine and cry and find out what to do with your life.  When no one gives you clarity or direction, panic sell and lose your life savings.

#3 Start hedging your bets.  Put more money into similar projects or move things around to balance your portfolio out.

#4 Buy more into the coin you are losing money on while the price is low to reduce your overall cost per coin/token.  Thus making it easier to make back what you lost.

#5 Join a pump and dump group because those work 100% of the time with no losses whatsoever *rolls eyes*

Personally, when I first started out, I honestly did #2.  After I learned my lesson I just decided to hodl.  Now, I am making a more proactive stance on my investments and am doing #4 to much benefit.  Nothing melts stress away quite like actual results and making smart investment moves is always better than just passively sitting back and waiting for things to change.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
roshanfious

Activity: 263
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 03:28:56 PM

I guess #1 and #5
#1: If you have other work do and just take a little bit of your money into investment and look at long term.
#5: If you don't have any work to do. Just have money why don't try daily trading to get profit short term.
rayk

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2018, 03:52:58 PM

Sometimes you sell to minimize your loss, not selling might be good option if it is bitcoin but if it is an altcoin you should sell at some point, also diversification is important.
sufiasyl

Activity: 434
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2018, 10:47:31 AM

This is an good question based on this if we wants to minimize our loss then we have to investigate about coins which are good then we should use technique like buy hold and sell we should buy at proper time and sell this coin also proper time based on this we can minimize the losses.
ozgurk

Activity: 252

OPEN GAMING PLATFORM

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 10:52:31 AM

My strategy change for every different project and this is very good topic. Usually i did #4. I did not join dump and pump but i want.

Prodigan786

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 11:00:00 AM

I dont agree with your #5 point most of the bots are fake trying to promote some scam coins . May be i dint find the best trading bot till now . #4 strategy looks good if you really find potential in project still its value reducing then go and invest ont at so that you can monimize the investment amount.
tyuner4

Activity: 322
Merit: 179

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 11:00:31 AM

My strategy in crypto investing is #1 and #4. In bear market, it is better to hold the coins than selling in lost. I choose to hold my coins.

If I have spare money, I will take the opportunity to buy more coins at low price and wait for the market to recover.
niisarearning

Activity: 910
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 11:13:12 AM

I accept 4th point most of the time use that strategy but recently these strategy gone horribel some coins became scam i bought from dip without doing much research immidiately that turn out to be scam then coin were delisted . I am planning to join good pump and dump group may it change my life.
CrimsonGT

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 11:14:24 AM

The best way to minimize losses - develop your strategy, have take profits and stop losses points, use diversification and improve your knowledge about the market.
bit-freedom

Activity: 658
Merit: 256

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 11:26:17 AM

IMO, #1, #3 and #4 are good strategies in minimising altcoin investment losses.

#2 and #5 are the worst strategy and not advisable to follow. #2 Selling at losses is against the basic trading strategy “buy low and sell high”, it is important to control emotion. #5 Joining a pump group will end up being a bag holders when the coin start dumping.
Tankdestroyer

Activity: 476
Merit: 107

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 11:30:43 AM

Some of your strategies are nice but it needs revision. Refer to my comments below for my recommendations about it.
#1 Realize that you don't actually lose anything until you actually sell at a loss.  So you go outside, ride a bike, read a book, resist the urge to check coinmarketcap and just hodl.
Holding is good and going outside to relieve yourself from stress is better but try not to resist the urge to check coinmarketcap. Even if you are frustrated always remember to check the news and the current price as well to make a wiser decision to hold or sell.
#3 Start hedging your bets.  Put more money into similar projects or move things around to balance your portfolio out.
Do not just put it into similar projects. Always try to diversify it into many types of altcoin with potential for growth(similar project or not).
#4 Buy more into the coin you are losing money on while the price is low to reduce your overall cost per coin/token.
This would only work if the altcoin you are holding got the real potential for growth and is not a scam one. To decide if you will buy more of a coin or not, redo your research and look for news concerning it. Only by then(when you finished gathering data) you can decide to buy more or not.
wantjokull

Activity: 700
Merit: 275

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2018, 11:32:55 AM

I am against the point number #5 and #4.

However, I liked your first point and it felt good while reading it too. Well, you should always overcome the fear of loosing your money within crypto sphere otherwise there will be never a time when we will not hit the profit zone. Many times people start with some sort of investment, they make good plans of long term holding but suck the investment at the very last movement and thus loose everything. To overcome this impatient challenge one must go and enjoy the life while our investment grows in the background.

▄▄██▄▄        ▄▄██▄▄
 ▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄██████████▄▄
█████████████████████████████
▀▀██████████▀▀ ▀▀██████████▀▀
    ▀▀██▀▀         ▀▀██▀▀

███▄▄██████▄▄        ▄▄██████▄▄     ▄█▄       ▄█▄     ▄▄██████▄▄
██████▀▀▀▀████▄    ▄████▀▀▀▀████▄  ▀████▄   ▄████▀  ▄████▀▀▀▀████▄
████        ███▄  ▄███        ███▄   ▀████▄████▀   ▄███        ███▄
███          ███  ████████████████     ▀█████▀     ███          ███
███          ███  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▄███████▄    ███▄        ▄███
███          ███   ███▄▄            ▄████▀ ▀████▄   ███▄▄    ▄▄███
███          ███    ▀██████████    ▀███▀     ▀███▀   ▀██████████▀
▀▀▀          ▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀         ▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄       
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▄▄█▄▄   
▄▀▀  ▄▄▀▀      ▄▄▀▀   █ ▀▀▄
▄▀▄▄▀▀      ▄▄▀▀        █  ▀▄
█▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄█
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █                           █
█                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █                  ▄▀       █
█                  █   ██   █
    ▄▄▄▄▄  █                  ▀▄       █
█                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█                           █
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
THE WORLD'S
FIRST INSTANT
CRYPTO LOANS
GET INSTANT CASH IN
40+FIAT
CURRENCIES

USING
CRYPTO  AS
COLLATERAL

Lighthouze

Activity: 196
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 11:37:16 AM

Please choose one that you feel is the best solution when you have lost substantial value on your investments (or add another strategy to help out the community):

#1 Realize that you don't actually lose anything until you actually sell at a loss.  So you go outside, ride a bike, read a book, resist the urge to check coinmarketcap and just hodl.

#2 Come onto bitcointalk and whine and cry and find out what to do with your life.  When no one gives you clarity or direction, panic sell and lose your life savings.

#3 Start hedging your bets.  Put more money into similar projects or move things around to balance your portfolio out.

#4 Buy more into the coin you are losing money on while the price is low to reduce your overall cost per coin/token.  Thus making it easier to make back what you lost.

#5 Join a pump and dump group because those work 100% of the time with no losses whatsoever *rolls eyes*

Personally, when I first started out, I honestly did #2.  After I learned my lesson I just decided to hodl.  Now, I am making a more proactive stance on my investments and am doing #4 to much benefit.  Nothing melts stress away quite like actual results and making smart investment moves is always better than just passively sitting back and waiting for things to change.

While #2 is so funny an true at the same time, I seriously frown at #5 because the innocent get caught n and buy at ATH and they get dumped on, forcing them to hodl for a longer time so as to atleast breakeven. #4 is a great strategy and it's called averaging.

imusify.com  ❰  Award Winning Blockchain Music Platform  ❱  BACKED BY NEO
OriginTrain

Activity: 406
Merit: 174

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 11:37:57 AM

bulantoy12345

Activity: 200

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 11:39:12 AM

My strategy is to invest at those reliable and dependable altcoins especially when they are at a low price at the market. I really believe that ethereum, neo, dash and iota are the best altcoins now that's why i invest those altcoins and i will hold it longer because i believe they will rise high in the future. Patience at cryptocurrency really matters.

T O W E R B E E      |  PLATFORM FOR EVERYDAY BUSINESS      [ TowerX ]
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬        ICO  >  on our exchange TowerX        ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
FACEBOOK        MEDIUM        TWITTER        LINKEDIN        REDDIT        TELEGRAM
salinaangel

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 11:47:30 AM

The best option is to invest in a safe coin like bitcoin. In bitcoin investors has the most probability to earn money with a less risk. Moreover you can divide your investment in two or three good coins. Another important thing is the patience. You should have patience to avoid the loss.
ICO Lancer

Activity: 182

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2018, 12:09:40 PM

I think diversifying and holding are very important tactics.

A lot of people panic sell often but if you just hold, you'll probably avoid most short dips.
zinson01

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2018, 09:22:15 AM

After losing substantial value, it is necessary for some moments to have fresh air and do some other jobs to clear your thought. Then, when you are free again, you can buy more coin as they are cheaper now and hodl for future. You can also go with option no.5 .
captaincomet

Activity: 420

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 06:39:48 PM

There are two ways imo. First, buy coins that go up more often than ones that go down. Second, play market cycles, diversify your portfolio in a right way (usd/crypto wise)
mummybtc

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 07:05:45 PM

I think I like strategy 4 most, I have used this several times, when I believe in a project and the price keep dropping , I usually buy the dip and wait for the rebound, the only issue now is when is the market going to turn to bull trend, because it is not easy buying the dip by locking up your money base on uncertainty  in the space
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: