Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Choose one
Yes, ban them - 213 (49.7%)
No, don't ban - 216 (50.3%)
Total Voters: 429

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should IPOs be banned from the site? Poll  (Read 6706 times)
flounderella

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Bitcoin Evengelist

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 05:08:33 AM

In the real world (I guess we are still in the real world on this forum), the entity who is closest to the creation of the money supply in the fractional reserve, fiat system benefits the most.  In other words, central bankers issue currency for profit.  People who establish IPOs and advertise for investment on the forum, are in effect, recreating the exact same system Bitcoin was designed to defeat.  Some might argue there's a difference because the systems are Austrian in nature, and not Keynesian, but there's really nothing that prevents them from using either method, so the difference is non-existent.

The normal Bitcoin protocol was not designed to be issued for profit, or to have a central issuing authority.  It was designed to be a trust free system where others work to acquire it through mining, and for any reward to be independent of the creator.  If one acknowledges the previous points as fact, you can clearly see that any IPO has absolutely no place on the forum in the context of money supply creation.  It is an evolution backwards in the technical domain of distribution, and in the ethics domain of corruption issues.

What's that you say?  You claim 100% proof of stake systems have benefits?  If you believe proof of stake is superior for coin dynamics and security, there's no reason you can't release a coin that uses normal PoW for distribution, then utilizes PoS entirely once all coins are mined.  The idea that an IPO is actually required to make 100% proof of stake work is an outright lie.  The term PoW/PoS hybrid exists for a reason and has already been accomplished.  If you wanted to be extremely lazy and have a proof of stake client entirely separate from the PoW client, you could always release a crap coin clone, have people mine it, then trade units of the crap coin for shares in the 100% PoS client coin.  Where does the need for an IPO fit into this anywhere?  It doesn't.  They should be banned.

Who are you? Bitcoin Police?
klondike

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 05:30:43 AM

Voted no. I'm more of a Laissez-faire kind of person. Let the market reign, and if you think an IPO is 'scammy', just don't invest in it. Or, better yet, ask the developers for more information so that you can make a reasonably well-informed decision. I definitely don't think it's our place, though, to tell other people what investments (including IPOs) should or should not be advertised in this forum. Give everyone a fair chance to seek funds for a proposed crypto-project, and people will make their own decisions about whether that project merits funding. Of course, the caveat emptor principle still reigns supreme.
hyunsookmom

Activity: 420

Kamehameha!!!

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 06:31:29 AM

You know if people weren't interested in investing or chancing on an IPO their thread would slide away down the forum in minutes. let people do what they want. Most people who want this kind of control tend to be anal retentive and painfully controlling people on real life.

Ix

Activity: 218
Merit: 128

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:31:40 AM

Next, the developers tend to try and hide all the code and not make anything open source for these IPO coins.  After enough community outrage, some release it, others will resist and eventually navigate cryptocurrency to a closed source model.  This is another huge negative of the IPO scheme that I didn't even mention in the original post.  Bitcoin is supposed to be an open source model.

If you don't start banning these clowns from trying to sell their IPO scams on the website, while trying to profit off something that's supposed to be open source,

You keep saying open source, but Satoshi released Bitcoin with the MIT license and ergo anyone is free to modify and distribute closed source derivatives barring other licensing concerns. So, while I do agree with the heart of what you're saying, this is not a good argument to back it up with. However, no one should be going anywhere near IPOs with little to no evidence of any actual design let alone code.
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:47:35 AM

i disagree, i think IPOs are fine. Without them we won't have a chance to invest in great Innovative ideas like Nxt, eMunie, Ethereum and Bitshares.

lexicon

Activity: 279
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 11:40:10 AM

If you don't like them fine.

This is one of the things wrong with the world. For some reason people want to force everyone else to follow their beliefs because they think they have a foolproof reason why they are correct. This so insane to me. It doesn't matter how great your reason is, it DOES NOT translate to forcing others to adopt it.

Do what you want, but leave me alone. I'm so sick of people like you in the world!!!
pineapples
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

to your stations, man the pineapples!!!

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 12:35:58 PM

if most IPO's are managed for mainly dev benefit, does that make all IPO's bad ?

what is that actually makes an IPO good or bad ?

YEEE F*#KIN HA BIG RED TEXT !!!           

(\__/)    
(='.'=)   
(")_(")   

BUMBA
r0ach (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:06:09 PM
Last edit: February 19, 2014, 02:51:10 PM by r0ach

This is one of the things wrong with the world. For some reason people want to force everyone else to follow their beliefs because they think they have a foolproof reason why they are correct. This so insane to me. It doesn't matter how great your reason is, it DOES NOT translate to forcing others to adopt it.

Do what you want, but leave me alone. I'm so sick of people like you in the world!!!

All someone has to do is click your post history to see you're an NXT/NEM shill.  You joined the forum this month and start shilling for NXT/NEM your first day posting?  Is this a joke?  I can't read a single thread on this forum without seeing an avalanche of NXT or Quark shills.

The argument you use is ridiculous, it means people should be able to post spam ads for bass fishing boats on the forum because booting them out is preventing them from "following their beliefs".  Maybe I can call up some people and we can get a team selling Evinrude outboard motors to people in every thread.  I'm sure everyone will love that.  Maybe some other people can sell stolen credit cards to go along with the IPO scams too.  Stolen credit cards are an alternative currency, right?

This is a privately run website, that's what the free market and freedom is, being able to do whatever you want on your privately run website.  If they want to boot the scamsters out, that's their choice, if they want to let people start The Federal Reserve 2.0 on this site, that's their choice too.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
utopianfuture

Activity: 602
Merit: 268

Internet of Value

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:52:46 PM

All someone has to do is click your post history to see you're an NXT/NEM shill.  You joined the forum this month and start shilling for NXT/NEM your first day posting?  Is this a joke?  I can't read a single thread on this forum without seeing an avalanche of NXT or Quarktard shills.

The argument you use is ridiculous, it means people should be able to post spam ads for bass fishing boats on the forum because booting them out is preventing them from "following their beliefs".  Maybe I can call up some people and we can get a team selling Evinrude outboard motors to people in every thread.  I'm sure everyone will love that.  Maybe some other people can sell stolen credit cards to go along with the IPO scams too.  Stolen credit cards are an alternative currency, right?

This is a privately run website, that's what the free market and freedom is, being able to do whatever you want on your privately run website.  If they want to boot the scamsters out, that's their choice, if they want to let people start The Federal Reserve 2.0 on this site, that's their choice too.

Who are you really ? you joined the board in December when Bitcoin was like 1200$ and you sounded like Bitcointalk GOD looking down upon new users. Stop the non-sense.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
█████████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  TomoChain  •    •  TomoChain 
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2014, 02:58:50 PM

IPO = FIAT.

Period.

What does that even mean?

it means he wants to pre-sell you small European cars, I think, at a pre-agreed price.

I wouldn't fall for it, i'm not sure they are that good quality cars anyhow. 

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
r0ach (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 03:06:21 PM

Who are you really ? you joined the board in December when Bitcoin was like 1200$ and you sounded like Bitcointalk GOD looking down upon new users. Stop the non-sense.

How are those 100 Bitcoins from that IPO scam treating you?

!% premine - a few disgruntled complainers, not many people making a big deal

2% premine - immediate accusations of scamcoin

3% premine - only a true scammer like Wolong could possibly attempt such a thing

100% premine then charge you for the coin - the scam is now so large, the human brain is unable to comprehend it as a scam.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
CoinBrokers

Activity: 107

FreeCoins.org

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2014, 03:13:32 PM

I'm confused, why are you referring to start-up coins as IPO? An initial public offering establishes a few facts, one of which is the company needs to be running and profitable to be able to offer some of the established profit to investors.

Plus banning them on the forum will simply drive those people away from the forum, not rescue people from experiencing losses.
Losses which they've accepted as a risk for investing in expectation of profit.

If you're calling for a ban, maybe understand what an IPO is before misrepresenting the facts?

lexicon

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 09:59:03 PM

How are those 100 Bitcoins from that IPO scam treating you?

!% premine - a few disgruntled complainers, not many people making a big deal

2% premine - immediate accusations of scamcoin

3% premine - only a true scammer like Wolong could possibly attempt such a thing

100% premine then charge you for the coin - the scam is now so large, the human brain is unable to comprehend it as a scam.

Ok, so let me get this straight. You think if a coin is not mined it is a 100% Scam? What do you know about Nxt or NEM? Or any other coin that isn't POW? You need to open your mind to new things. You have no idea what you are talking about.

When the majority of the people here reading look at the above quoted comment, do you really think they agree that you know what you are talking about?

When people seen your previous comment, in which your "go to" move is to attack the fact that I'm new to the forum, do you think that convinces people what you are spewing is correct?

What I want to know is: Why are you even trying to convince people that POW is the only way to go?

Innovation is a good thing!!!

I have many mined coins too btw!! I came here and signed up to get my stake in NEM. Now I read about and buy other coins too! Just research new things before you dismiss them out of hand is all I'm saying.

Welcome to Tomorrow!
lexicon

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 03:06:57 PM

Oh, come on you can do better than that!!

Nxt and NEM have many revolutionary features. Most people have read up on Nxt by now and know the difference. And people are currently learning the differences between Nxt and NEM as well.

People keep saying, what's the difference? You know the difference. You have read the info on NEM, as you have questions that show you have. But then you act like you don't know what's going on, and so cleverly, or so you think, phrase your questions in a way that will mislead those that don't know any better.

For anyone who now wonders what I'm talking about, read some of the other posts that these guys have written. Also, read the NEM development plan and see for yourself. You don't have to have coding experience to understand, as they explain what the basics mean in laymans terms as well.

Do this so you are not mislead by these guys. Then you can just laugh at them like I do!!  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin

cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:06:34 PM

Just ban ipo without escrow by super members that have been escrow a million times before and we know who they are.

flounderella

Activity: 350

Bitcoin Evengelist

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:56:01 PM

i disagree, i think IPOs are fine. Without them we won't have a chance to invest in great Innovative ideas like Nxt, eMunie, Ethereum and Bitshares.

But but they are all scams ... except Bitshares because you get it for free from mining Protoshares
Isildur23

Activity: 178

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 08:12:15 PM

Of course we may ban them. Why not we all go to North Korea and be totally protected from scams?! Who cares about freedom, freedom is bad, it's scary and there are scams u know...

Ties are a prison for the soul...
pinarello

Activity: 266

NXT is the future

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 08:42:22 PM

Of course we may ban them. Why not we all go to North Korea and be totally protected from scams?! Who cares about freedom, freedom is bad, it's scary and there are scams u know...

+1 yes ban all and lets regulate things.

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:34:33 PM

why can't everyone have the freedom to post wallet stealers? damn restrictions, we want freedom, freedom  Roll Eyes
Isildur23

Activity: 178

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:08:32 PM

why can't everyone have the freedom to post wallet stealers? damn restrictions, we want freedom, freedom  Roll Eyes

Why should you "ban"? Can't you just let people decide on their own? If we don't learn to take care of ourselves, decetralisation will remain a dream!
I prefer to make a statement and let newbies know that some IPOs are scams (which everyone actually knows!) and we should use our brains before investing in one.
Or you prefer to make a comittee that says "this is scam and thats is not"... ahhh sorry, i don't want to go back to 1984...

Ties are a prison for the soul...
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: