Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:20:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardware wallet vs Software wallet  (Read 1776 times)
keycellko

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 14, 2018, 12:44:26 AM

Well i have heard a lot about hardware wallets and i see the use for it. It is safe and secure. Most people i know use trezor. But i don't have one yet. Honestly, i can't afford it. I don't have a bitcoin yet so i really don't think i need that much security. Im just trading a little of what i have. I use software wallets for now and im ok with it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myxamop

Activity: 882
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 14, 2018, 10:27:01 AM

My opinionis that HW does not provide better security than a proper (redundant) encrypted backup if your intent is to use it as a cold storage. Storing your bitcoin in electrum on your daily use pc may not be the best idea. A hardware wallet is (in my view) a compromise between being able to do transactions (without going through the hassle of taking coins out of cold storage), while maintaining a reasonable level of protection against your pc being compromised.
kostepanych2

Activity: 1274
Merit: 105

View Profile
June 14, 2018, 10:38:30 AM

I think safest ERC20 wallet is software offline MEW.
Use your private keys and generate transactions on the offline PC only and send those generated transactions on the other online computer.
Since your PKs are offline all the time, they can't be stolen...
lovenlifelarge

Activity: 676
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 14, 2018, 10:43:19 AM

I am not using any hardware wallets in my entire crypto since I have been trading, I prefer that my crypto assets are in exchange so that I can easily trade it in the day without any transaction fees to consider. Works well by the way.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀▀      ▀▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀                ▀▀██▄
▄██▀                      ▀██▄
██▀                          ▀██
██▀                            ▀██
██▀    ███████        ███████    ▀██
▄██   ██████████████  ██████████   ██▄
██     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄███████▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ███████▀▀▀     ██
██         ███████  ███████         ██
██         ▀██████████████▀         ██
▀██         ▀████████████▀         ██▀
██▄         ████████████         ▄██
██▄         ██████████         ▄██
██▄                          ▄██
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
    ███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
    ████████████████████▄
██                ████▄
██                ██████▄
██                ████████▄
██                ██████████▄
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██████████████████████████████
██                          ██
Sahyadri

Activity: 744
Merit: 266

View Profile
June 14, 2018, 10:46:41 AM

If you are a short term trader and needs fund frequently, then I would suggest you to go for a legit software wallet or app. If you are a long term HODLer, buy a hardware wallet like Trezor, Nano Ledger etc and keep your funds there. There are chances of software wallets and app getting hacked by downloading a malicious software in your system. You are responsible for your own safety in cryptos, do that wisely.
Gonzo1977

Activity: 87
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2018, 03:13:54 PM

In my opinion hardware wallet even though it costs decent amount of money it is a better solution in terms of safety. As with hardware wallet you do your needed transfer than you disconnect it, while with software you are always online.
Raihan050

Activity: 443
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 06:04:12 PM

Both of Wallets are good but it's depend on you that which purpose you use those wallets. If you want to hold coin's or token's for long term then Hardware wallet is good for that or If you want hold for short term then Software wallet good for that.

Nureni

Activity: 118

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 06:14:45 PM

There are advantage and disadvantage for both two (hardware and software wallet). But to me the hardware is more preferable, it's more reliable. But it's now depends on you
yslyv

Activity: 1008
Merit: 533

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 06:17:36 PM

hardware wallets are more safer. ledger and trezor are the popular ones. i use trezor and i can recommend it to everybody. it is really very simple to use and enough safe. and the wallet also supports erc20 token on myetherwallet.

turn the page
coralwoods18

Activity: 59

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 06:20:41 PM

I was also confuse about this two types of wallet. But many experts recommend me to go for the hardware wallet as its more secure. Actually online wallet is also secure unless your private data is leaked or stolen somehow.
Ilmiyati

Activity: 490

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 06:22:44 PM

Next time use correct english, if you want wallet hardware, you can use ledger nano, indeed if compared with ether wallet, ledger nano safer, but tend to be easy to lose, and for the price, ledger nano is not too expensive, and you can buy it in many e commerce
jalaaal

Activity: 372

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 06:46:35 PM

Surfing on the bitcointalk forum, I sometimes see some threads discussing about hacking of wallets and the discussion is geared towards the best wallets to secure individuals from hackers. Hardware wallets are normally mentioned. I decided to find out about hardware wallets and my searches made me know that, wallets which are normally hacked are of software base. I found out that some viruses which attack computers are able to steal private keys from the software wallets that we normally use. The issue of virus attacking a computer makes the use of hardware wallet very advantageous over software wallet since the hardware wallet are immune against viruses, hence viruses cannot steal from such wallets. My question is what are some of the hardware wallets and how can one get a hardware wallet?
some kind of hardware wallets are trezor and nano ledger,  you can get one by buying it online or directly through their site. just search their site on google and im sure you will find it.

richjohn

Activity: 574
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 06:51:51 PM

Hardware wallets are always advisable because they are less prone to hacks and breaches. Software wallet can be kept safely, but it still at risk to be affected by some viruses or Trojan. Hardware wallets only have a chance of getting stolen which can also happen with a device you have kept your wallet on. You can also try paper wallet. This is cheaper alternative to cold storage.
DahonPao

Activity: 322

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 06:52:17 PM

I use hardware wallet Ledger Nano S. It is easy to use and safe,though there are problems with the update.

DRIFE      Pre-sale: December 2018
████ BNEXGEN DECENTRALIZED RIDE HAILING PLATFORM ████
  ●●● Facebook ●● Twitter ●● Telegram ●● BTC ●● Whitepaper ●●● 
Sier86

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

X-Block.io

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 06:54:33 PM

Surfing on the bitcointalk forum, I sometimes see some threads discussing about hacking of wallets and the discussion is geared towards the best wallets to secure individuals from hackers. Hardware wallets are normally mentioned. I decided to find out about hardware wallets and my searches made me know that, wallets which are normally hacked are of software base. I found out that some viruses which attack computers are able to steal private keys from the software wallets that we normally use. The issue of virus attacking a computer makes the use of hardware wallet very advantageous over software wallet since the hardware wallet are immune against viruses, hence viruses cannot steal from such wallets. My question is what are some of the hardware wallets and how can one get a hardware wallet?
i think that hardware wallet is needable only if you have a lot of crypto, if your total crypto portfolie is not more then 10 000 - 30 000 usd worth then use software wallet, if bigger then you need to use hardware wallet for sure

X-Block.io
crenfrosck

Activity: 470
Merit: 12

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 08:54:53 PM

It is great that people seek ways to protect cryptocurrencies by obtaining hardware wallets. Basic wallets are okay when you don't have a large amount of money in it. Okay, even hardware wallets are not 100% secure, but what is? Buying one is not a problem, well-known brands like Trezor or Ledger have products on their official websites, or you can find some on eBay, Amazon etc. Their prices vary from 80 dollars to 300+ dollars, but in my opinion, this investment is worth it.

=====================================================
BILLCRYPT - CREATING HISTORY
=====================================================
miracle24

Activity: 309

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2018, 08:57:56 PM

Example of Hardware wallet are Trevor and Ledger and I think it's the safest and most useful if you are holding a coin longterm.
yslyv

Activity: 1008
Merit: 533

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 08:58:53 PM

hardware wallets are considered to be safer. but you should always use a clean computer. an infected computer with virus or trojan can cause to loose everything in your wallet even if you use a hardware wallet.

turn the page
sucre123456

Activity: 87

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2018, 09:00:39 PM

I would opt for hardwallets .. even though it still has its own risk , I feel it's still better than soft wallets
btccashacc
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 09:16:21 PM

If you are holding bitcoin or altcoin as a long term investment I highly recommend use a hardware wallet It's safer than storing your coins on web wallet or something. You might hold some spendable amount then you can go with web wallet I just don't recommend people to hold huge balance on the internet it's better safe than sorry.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: