Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 05:24:34 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardware wallet vs Software wallet  (Read 1784 times)
marginal

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 10:49:19 PM

Surfing on the bitcointalk forum, I sometimes see some threads discussing about hacking of wallets and the discussion is geared towards the best wallets to secure individuals from hackers. Hardware wallets are normally mentioned. I decided to find out about hardware wallets and my searches made me know that, wallets which are normally hacked are of software base. I found out that some viruses which attack computers are able to steal private keys from the software wallets that we normally use. The issue of virus attacking a computer makes the use of hardware wallet very advantageous over software wallet since the hardware wallet are immune against viruses, hence viruses cannot steal from such wallets. My question is what are some of the hardware wallets and how can one get a hardware wallet?
I have heard many thoughts about advantage of hardware wallet before an online wallet, but I'm actually using an online one without feeling any of this advantage for uncomfortableness, so it is a personal choice.
jawatulen

Activity: 398
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 10:55:19 PM

Surfing on the bitcointalk forum, I sometimes see some threads discussing about hacking of wallets and the discussion is geared towards the best wallets to secure individuals from hackers. Hardware wallets are normally mentioned. I decided to find out about hardware wallets and my searches made me know that, wallets which are normally hacked are of software base. I found out that some viruses which attack computers are able to steal private keys from the software wallets that we normally use. The issue of virus attacking a computer makes the use of hardware wallet very advantageous over software wallet since the hardware wallet are immune against viruses, hence viruses cannot steal from such wallets. My question is what are some of the hardware wallets and how can one get a hardware wallet?

thats right, hardware wallet is safer than any others wallet
just buy ledger nano s, i use this wallet from about 1 year and its easy to use too my friend
also you can collect a lot of crypto in this wallet include ethereum token and others
flyingcat

Activity: 588
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 10:59:29 PM

For safest, you should use hardware wallet instead of e-wallet to store cryptos. E-wallet at present is the most popular MEW, and you can see that MEW has been hacked many times and hacked the cryptos. So if you have money, then you should buy hardware wallet like Trezor and Ledge Nano S to get the highest security for your cryptos.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████▄▄
░░░░░░░░░▄▄░░░░░░░░░████████
░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄░░░░░███████████▄▄
░▄▄██████████████▄▄███████████████▄
░▀▀██████████████▀▀░░░▀▀████████████
██▄▄▀▀██████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀████████
██████▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███████
████████░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███
████████░░░░░▄▄███████▄▄░░░░░███▄▄░░▀
████████░░░███████████████░░░███████▄
░░▀▀████░░░░░▀▀███████▀▀░░░░░████████
██▄▄░░▀▀░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░████████
██████▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░░▀███████
████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄▀▀███
██████████▄▄░░░░▄▄██████████████▄▄
██████████████▄▄▀▀██████████████▀▀
░░▀▀████████████░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
░░░░░░▀▀████████░░░░░░░░▀▀
░░░░░░░░░▀▀██████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀██
OATH

████▀
███▀  ▀
██▀  ▀
█▀  ▀
▀  ▀
▄  ▄
█▄  ▄
██▄  ▄
███▄  ▄
████▄

▀████
▀  ▀███
▀  ▀██
▀  ▀█
▀  ▀
▄  ▄
▄  ▄█
▄  ▄██
▄  ▄███
▄████

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

█▄▄              █▄▄
█████▄▄         ██████▄▄
████████       ████████ █
████████ ██   ████████ ██
████████ ███ ████████ ███
████████ ████ ██████ ████
████████ █████ ████ █████
████████ ▀█████ ██ ██████
████████    ▀▀██  ███████
▀███████         ▀███████
   ▀▀███            ▀▀███
       ▀                ▀
TopT3ns

Activity: 2604
Merit: 572

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 11:10:37 PM

before, you must pay attention to several things to secure your wallet.
1. Save your private key properly.
in a bitcoin wallet there is a private key and a public key, the public key is a bitcoin address. and a private key is the key that you must keep secret from others.
2 You must activate the 2FA feature.
3. Use a stronger password
4. Do not store bitcoin in the exchange wallet and in the soft wallet.

and there are some hard wallets that you can use like TREZOR, Ledger Nano, paper wallet, Hardbit, and others.
Ledger nano is good to pick and your suggestion is almost right. sometime people save their coins in exchange wallet and not put 2fa. but they are just careless and blame the market itself. they should know the risk first before save their money in market

batang_bitcoin

Activity: 3010
Merit: 600

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 11:17:21 PM

For safest, you should use hardware wallet instead of e-wallet to store cryptos. E-wallet at present is the most popular MEW, and you can see that MEW has been hacked many times and hacked the cryptos. So if you have money, then you should buy hardware wallet like Trezor and Ledge Nano S to get the highest security for your cryptos.
Hardware wallets are the best.

MEW is only for ERC20 tokens and Ethereum.

If there's no budget to avail hardware wallets and you have a smartphone, there are android wallet apps like coinomi that you can use as an alternative.
BlackBoxRecords

Activity: 280
Merit: 15

Pool of Stake

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 11:18:55 PM

This is a bit of a noob question. Firstly, there is no perfect wallet and particularly there is no perfect wallet for everyone. Personally I use a soft wallet, because I don´t have that many coins and I can keep my computer safe.

█ ▌ We have created a Pool for Proof of Stake Blockchains  ▐ █
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ POOL OF STAKE ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
 ⮜⮜ LINKEDIN ⮞⮞ BITCOINTALK ⮞⮞ MEDIUM ⮞⮞ TWITTER ⮞⮞ FACEBOOK ⮞⮞ TELEGRAM ⮞⮞
JENREM

Activity: 518
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 11:25:49 PM

Both of them are good and secure.... Hardware wallet is more secure and reliable than that of software while software is cheap and also secure depending on the way you use it. Software wallet is the most commonly used wallet even the ones making use of the hardware still make use of software wallet.... The hardware wallet is only use just for more security.

I also agree with you,Hardware wallet is more secure because many are already using it as of this time. So I preferred hardware wallet than anything else.
Falconet

Activity: 84
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 11:28:59 PM

I think a hardware wallet is better, I dont know, I think software wallets are way more susceptible to hacks, I mean, both of them are hackable after all, because the hardware wallets still uses an USB port to connect to devices, but I would stick to hardware for now.
ndico

Activity: 280

better Days Ahead...

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 11:29:16 PM

I agree with you, most people makes use of hardware wallet more than software wallet and this is because they believe your private keys stays intact with you when making any transactions, and you can buy any hardware wallet on many online stores like Amazon

lyons

Activity: 294

Vertex.Market, the World's First ICO Aftermarket

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 11:29:29 PM

In my opinion, hardware wallets are more better storing ways according to software wallets. Of course no wallet can give you %100 protection of your coins, but for me, they are giving more trust and security.

a4techer

Activity: 552
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 11:12:37 AM

For me its better to use hardware wallet because how the hackers hack the wallet without connection so that hardware wallet use for those who have a bug amount of coins. I have a friend that also using a hardware wallet and their is a many private key for the security so that hardware wallet its better than software that connected to the internet and easy to hack
FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 11:15:59 AM

The only good thing about the sofware wallet is that it is mobile, you can use it almost everywhere where you have internet. But it is not secure. See how many hacker attacks are on cryptocurrencies.
So I recommend hardware wallet only - Ledger or Trezor are trustworthy.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
sinachy

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 09:41:08 PM

You are right, it is often suggested that hardware wallet is the most secured wallet any can use to store their tokens, there are two major popular wallet i know of  Trezor and Nano ledge, and from my own assessment people use Nano Ledge
jefcasidy

Activity: 168
Merit: 2

The ProFish online marketplace & tournaments

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 10:07:21 PM

majority of people are using the software wallet because it is easy and convenient to use compare to hard wallet, though hard wallet is more secured and preferred for maximum security but people still prefer software wallet

════════⟹  Pro Fish  ⟸════════
The ProFish online marketplace & tournaments
elosi

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 03:04:36 PM

Though hardware wallet is more secure to use than the software wallet, but for me I prefer to use software wallet because it is easy to use, maybe I prefer it because i have small crypto asset maybe when my crypto asset grows, i might choose to use hardware wallet.
Guddini

Activity: 336
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2018, 03:07:24 PM

It seems to me that for the stable operation it is enough to start an offline wallet and use it on a computer without an Internet connection

DCCDistributed Credit Chain
    Empower Credit, Enable Finance   
GithubFacebookMedium ‹‹‹dcc.finance››› RedditTwitterTelegram
ganesh10

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 03:08:18 PM

Well, they both have their insecurities, software wallet can be really cheap to hold while hardware wallets can give the impression of being way too more secure, I will stick to software wallets for the moment until I see some great results from hardware wallet users.
tomisinade

Activity: 73
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 03:14:23 PM

I have heard a lot about bother the software and hardware wallets but in my opinion I prefer the software wallets as long as you can keep the private keys safe.
I am a not skeptical about the hardware wallets because physical things like that get stolen every time and I wouldn't want to keep my assets on a device that can be stolen or lost or otherwise get destroyed.
sola4olu

Activity: 9

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 03:18:02 PM

I like hardware wallets.
They are physical you can hold them and keep them safe, it is also possible to back IP the tokens on another hardware wallet which can be used in a case where one wants to recover coins or tokens of a lost wallet device.
What I don't understand is how this wallet can manage assets of different Blockchain like bitcoin and Ethereum, can someone enlighten me?
HalseyBert

Activity: 178

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 03:25:16 PM

I think both are better. But I think hardware wallets are being the good to secure the coins/tokens and the private keys for the long term and We can use these wallets easily without harmless
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: