Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:50:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How much money and bitcoins do you need to influence the price?  (Read 1577 times)
weblouartisan

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

Lets Go Adab

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 04:36:21 PM

So, the latest buzzword in Bitcoin is manipulation. Has anyone worked out how much money and bitcoins is needed to trigger

a change in the buy and sell behaviour of traders on exchanges? I know the Silkroad Auction did not make a significant impact

on the price and the same goes for the odd coins that were sold from the MtGox hoard. How many coins can individuals dump

on exchanges to push the price down like this? How long can they sustain such an action to sabotage the price? These are

questions that are very relative at the moment.  Roll Eyes

If the SEC says that the high price increase of last year was manipulation, then they must bring the proof. Let's do our own

informal assessment of the situation and determine what would be needed to cause that kind of a spike in the price.  Wink

If you want to influence the price or to change the either it will be dumping or pumping then it will be depending on the coin, the prices of bitcoins today is dumping because there are a lot of people who prefer to sell their coins on the market more than investing.

Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vibingpositively

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 06:02:58 PM

If you want to do that, you need a lot of money, maybe $1milion? Really, really big you need to influence the price, although in a small percentage.
1 million is chump change for these kinds of moves in my head. I believe you need at least 10 million, if not 100 million with a few other individuals. Then you can really move the needle, whereas 1 million may only cause a small intraday swing.

⚫ ▬▬     V T O S   |   Decentralized CDN & Social Network     ▬▬ ⚫
  Whitepaper    JOIN OUR ICO  >  MAY 28th  <
FACEBOOK               MEDIUM               TWITTER               GITHUB               TELEGRAM
Oceat

Activity: 2506
Merit: 368

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 06:13:38 PM

I would say, thousands of Bitcoin, hundreds of thousand to be able to manipulate the price of Bitcoin but my biggest concern is why the hell they should pay more to be able to manipulate the price? Does they get something in return while doing this? I think maybe because they wouldn't do it if they won't get any in return. And just like the news that's coming, did JP Morgan really manipulate the price of cryptocurrency?

acheampong64

Activity: 588

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 06:17:28 PM

Then it would really need to be a huge amount of funds. Because the manipulator needs to pump from the major exchange so as to make it reflect at at all markets. Anyways a group of people can do that as well. I also red an article that said USDT was used to manipulate the price in last year. Don't know how true that is though!
bitcad4u

Activity: 602
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 07:08:58 PM

I would say, thousands of Bitcoin, hundreds of thousand to be able to manipulate the price of Bitcoin but my biggest concern is why the hell they should pay more to be able to manipulate the price? Does they get something in return while doing this? I think maybe because they wouldn't do it if they won't get any in return. And just like the news that's coming, did JP Morgan really manipulate the price of cryptocurrency?

I don't know JP Morgan really manipulate the price of cryptocurrency .If they manipulate the price of bitcoin,they can make the new people panic and make them to sell at low price.And also they will get the bitcoin from the people who need money at the price crisis time.They are to force to buy at low price.
perfect999

Activity: 1582
Merit: 299

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 05:31:48 AM

So, the latest buzzword in Bitcoin is manipulation. Has anyone worked out how much money and bitcoins is needed to trigger

a change in the buy and sell behaviour of traders on exchanges? I know the Silkroad Auction did not make a significant impact

on the price and the same goes for the odd coins that were sold from the MtGox hoard. How many coins can individuals dump

on exchanges to push the price down like this? How long can they sustain such an action to sabotage the price? These are

If the SEC says that the high price increase of last year was manipulation, then they must bring the proof. Let's do our own

informal assessment of the situation and determine what would be needed to cause that kind of a spike in the price.  Wink

If you want to influence the price or to change the either it will be dumping or pumping then it will be depending on the coin, the prices of bitcoins today is dumping because there are a lot of people who prefer to sell their coins on the market more than investing.
Well I think you really don’t need to work for this pumping or dumping thing. Reason is simple, these two things are quite helpful for you. When it comes to make some money, get some little money and buy bitcoin. And when prices start moving up, don’t just be panic and wait for the long lasting period of prices where high profits can be obtained. So just sell them and make handsome outcome.
kenziefried

Activity: 141
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 06:48:09 AM

If you want to do that, you need a lot of money, maybe $1milion? Really, really big you need to influence the price, although in a small percentage.
1 million is chump change for these kinds of moves in my head. I believe you need at least 10 million, if not 100 million with a few other individuals. Then you can really move the needle, whereas 1 million may only cause a small intraday swing.
A single person by himself can't move the price of a currency, no matter how much effort he is making. If many people are investing and trust the same currency, then with the help of all the people the price of a currency can move up or down. A currency must have its own properties and benefits so that people feel comfortable while using it, only then the currency can be successful.
Thomas-s

Activity: 1274
Merit: 500

Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 11:42:03 AM

Certainly whales can control and manipulate the market, because they can both buy and sell and they influence the market by 50%, the rest belongs to the miners.

,gaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaag,
           ,aP8b    _,dYba,       ,adPb,_    d8Ya,
         ,aP"  Yb_,dP"   "Yba, ,adP"   "Yb,_dP  "Ya,
       ,aP"    _88"         )888(         "88_    "Ya,
     ,aP"   _,dP"Yb      ,adP"8"Yba,      dP"Yb,_   "Ya,
   ,aPYb _,dP8    Yb  ,adP"   8   "Yba,  dP    8Yb,_ dPYa,
 ,aP"  YdP" dP     YbdP"      8      "YbdP     Yb "YbP  "Ya,
I8aaaaaa8aaa8baaaaaa88aaaaaaaa8aaaaaaaa88aaaaaad8aaa8aaaaaa8I
`Yb,   d8a, Ya      d8b,      8      ,d8b      aP ,a8b   ,dP'
  "Yb,dP "Ya "8,   dI "Yb,    8    ,dP" Ib   ,8" aP" Yb,dP"
    "Y8,   "YaI8, ,8'   "Yb,  8  ,dP"   `8, ,8IaP"   ,8P"
      "Yb,   `"Y8ad'      "Yb,8,dP"      `ba8P"'   ,dP"
        "Yb,    `"8,        "Y8P"        ,8"'    ,dP"
          "Yb,    `8,         8         ,8'    ,dP"
            "Yb,   `Ya        8        aP'   ,dP"
              "Yb,   "8,      8      ,8"   ,dP"
                "Yb,  `8,     8     ,8'  ,dP" 
                  "Yb, `Ya    8    aP' ,dP"   
                    "Yb, "8,  8  ,8" ,dP"
                      "Yb,`8, 8 ,8',dP"
                        "Yb,Ya8aP,dP"
                          "Y88888P"
                            "Y8P"
                              "

Free TON

PEER-TO-PEER MULTY-BLOCKCHAIN SYSTEM
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬TON SURF - OFFICIAL WALLET ▬▬▬▬

▄███████████████████▄
        █████████████████████
▄█████  █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
███     █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
██████  █████████████████████
███     █████████████████████
███████ ▀███████████████████▀
▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀████
  ████▌                 ██ 
  ▐██▌                     
   █▌

TELEGRAM
FORUM
WIKI
tee-rex

Activity: 742
Merit: 526

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 01:42:44 PM

So, the latest buzzword in Bitcoin is manipulation. Has anyone worked out how much money and bitcoins is needed to trigger a change in the buy and sell behaviour of traders on exchanges?

No one can give you a precise answer as things get heavily complicated when you start to explore them in depth. There are many factors at play here which you simply can't consider in their entirety and interrelations. For example, when the price rises, there may be a tipping point somewhere on the price scale when any amount of coins sent into the orderbook will tip the scales in the downward direction, and then an avalanche of selling panic-orders will follow. And it is equally true when the price bottoms as even the smallest amount of new money can turn the trend in the opposite direction.

It is the same with the market sentiment, on a horizontal scale, so to speak. If it is strong and powerful (whatever direction), it would take plenty of money to turn in backwards. On the other hand, if there is uncertainty in the market and the trend is not established, small orders can easily change the direction where the price goes. As you can see, there cannot possibly be a simple and comprehensive answer to your question.
Dreamchaser21

Activity: 686
Merit: 108

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 01:51:56 PM

Certainly whales can control and manipulate the market, because they can both buy and sell and they influence the market by 50%, the rest belongs to the miners.

Its hard to say the exact amount needed to influence the market but I think whales can really do that. Actually, you can influence the market not just because of you money but also because of you career, job, or if you’re a well know person by just telling some word about cryptocurrency. This market can easily be influence, by money but mostly by the news.
Dondont

Activity: 446
Merit: 12

BitbondSTO.com | Germany’s First STO

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2018, 04:33:03 PM

to start or expect a price to go down or up, and only with money, I think you're wrong, the effect of this manipulation is greater than expected. The effects are given individually especially if they are easy to panic, it can make the market turn from what we expect the price

g-uid

Activity: 259
Merit: 18

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 04:41:46 PM

Manipulation or not but reaching out those prices is somehow questionable because certain things reaching out that range on a shorter timeframe cant be achieved out by traditional assets that why people who are engage into non so volatile things will have those jurisdiction.

I think maybe it could be up to $ 1 million to be able to affect the price in the market
As of writing BTC had overall marketcap on those value below.

$114,948,065,347

How would 1M usd would affect the price? We are talking billions here. BILLIONS!

Yes we are talking billions, but what's really involved? What do you think a marketcap of billions really means?
esetop01tryba

Activity: 238
Merit: 1

https://www.empirehotels.io

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 04:47:00 PM

I think that the price of bitcoin does not raise speculatively, it grows only due to demand ! but oldoini I think to raise will not be difficult !

EMPIREHOTELS  (EMPC) (https://www.empirehotels.io/) The Future of Hospitality
arin_muah

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 05:30:00 PM

Manipulation or not but reaching out those prices is somehow questionable because certain things reaching out that range on a shorter timeframe cant be achieved out by traditional assets that why people who are engage into non so volatile things will have those jurisdiction.

I think maybe it could be up to $ 1 million to be able to affect the price in the market

$114,948,065,347

How would 1M usd would affect the price? We are talking billions here. BILLIONS!

Yes we are talking billions, but what's really involved? What do you think a marketcap of billions really means?
it is not only about money to shake bitcoin price in market.we need to able manage negative news from any source in order to make investor and holder panic.both of them could not separate if we want to have influence to price.
tambok

Activity: 812
Merit: 260

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 06:04:26 PM

it is not only about money to shake bitcoin price in market.we need to able manage negative news from any source in order to make investor and holder panic.both of them could not separate if we want to have influence to price.
[/quote]
Exactly! We should engaged and use bitcoin so that we can spread its name that bitcoin is not only using for investment but there are lots of ways where in we can use it, even if we have little amount of bitcoin if the number of demands is high then for sure that bitcoin will really hit the moon.
tee-rex

Activity: 742
Merit: 526

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 08:03:50 AM

$114,948,065,347

It is just a number. As such it is mostly meaningless, though it can be useful when comparing the market cap of bitcoin with that of other coins. Obviously, there are no hundreds of billions invested in bitcoin or any other coin, which is what some people think market cap shows. Some people bought bitcoin when it cost literally cents, some people didn't buy it at all. And if we count only what was actually invested minus disinvested later at whatever price, the number should be much smaller. Maybe, on the order of a few billion dollars all in all.
g-uid

Activity: 259
Merit: 18

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 04:46:38 PM

$114,948,065,347

It is just a number. As such it is mostly meaningless, though it can be useful when comparing the market cap of bitcoin with that of other coins. Obviously, there are no hundreds of billions invested in bitcoin or any other coin, which is what some people think market cap shows. Some people bought bitcoin when it cost literally cents, some people didn't buy it at all. And if we count only what was actually invested minus disinvested later at whatever price, the number should be much smaller. Maybe, on the order of a few billion dollars all in all.

I agree, the true market cap is surely nowhere near as high. There's may not be as much money in Bitcoin/Crypto as people think there is. I suspect that even daily volume is just as blurry.
helen28

Activity: 453

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 06:40:56 PM

I admit that my money is not enough to influence the price, but I will just keep on hodling as much as possible and as much as I can so I can contribute with the value even in a little way I can.
BagzMM

Activity: 378
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 24, 2018, 12:29:49 AM

In my opinion, it must have been more demands on the market to influence the price. So, let us encourage people to adopt or involve in bitcoin for us to build market demand.
AlehandroTheGreat

Activity: 798
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2018, 12:41:39 AM

If we are talking about minor exchanges for sure 1000+btc and something like 100k+USD and u can easily manipulate the price on minor markets.
Id you wanna be huge whale marketmaker so maybe 20k+ bitcoins and 2-4M USD will be fine to start  Tongue

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: