Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:23:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGOX Withdrawal issue  (Read 12411 times)
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
October 07, 2011, 09:40:51 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that accusing an exchange of being insolvent because they need to comply with the law a little over the top?
There's a fine line between suspecting and making public accusation; there's also a fine line between being cautious and being stupid, given what has happened to various exchanges.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 01:35:49 AM

I'm happy to report that my account has finally been unfrozen.  More than 2.5 weeks but at least it happened.  I successfully transferred some btc OUT of MtGox.

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 06:12:50 AM

I'm happy to report that my account has finally been unfrozen.  More than 2.5 weeks but at least it happened.  I successfully transferred some btc OUT of MtGox.
Lucky you. Just curious, what's the new daily withdraw limit after this episode?
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 11:21:08 AM

Still 100 btc/$1000 daily, but I didn't ask for an increase there.

I did ask for an increase to the monthly limit but I don't know yet if they did that for me.
bitcoinTrader (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 07:48:38 AM

Hi,

I am not able to withdraw anything from bitcoins or dollars from mtgox.

Getting below message:
Your account is currently pending review, please contact aml@mtgox.com

Do I need to send any documents?
Also, why is it under review in the first place?

Please help

OK.
Finally, I got my account unlocked.  Smiley
The daily/monthly BTC & USD limit still remains the same though. Sad

Mt.Gox Support
VIP

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 07:52:02 AM

Hello Users,

Please wait until we set up a new interface for users to request withdrawal limit increase.

Mt.Gox : The Leading International Bitcoin Exchange.
Mt.Gox Merchant Solutions : https://mtgox.com/merchant
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 08:04:08 AM

Is there ever a response from MtGox support which doesn't amount to "wait"?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2011, 05:01:34 PM

They're constantly stalling on paying out dollars. That's why I suspect Mt. Gox doesn't really have all the customer cash they should.
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2011, 07:29:34 PM

They're constantly stalling on paying out dollars. That's why I suspect Mt. Gox doesn't really have all the customer cash they should.

I think you're spot on, Nagle.

The thread below points to some serious incongruity in MtGox statements. It's appearing more and more likely that MtGox has significant unfunded liabilities.

You'll all notice that every challenge to MtGox is simply met with the AML verification link, even for currently 'verified' customers. They apparently had large Dwolla withdrawals in the past 24-48 hours from newly unlocked accounts, yet they've ignored all other withdrawals from accounts that were already verified. I spotted this discrepancy and they simply replied that WiseOldOwl should send in his documents, and that he'd get his account unlocked (it wasn't locked in the first place) within 24 hours.

Cookie cutter responses, dodging questions, answering questions with responses that are out of context.

Sad day. People may want to get ready for a 50-80% haircut in a minute.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47169

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 10:17:39 PM

I wonder how much the big exchanges are stepping on the toes of those who have made a bit haul (e.g., MyBitcoin, allinvain, the Polish exchange, B7, and on and on) and want to cash with some modicum of privacy?

I remember one of the interviews with the Tradehill guys where they told customers to give them a ring and chat before they would release a great deal of currency.  Sounds like the customers got pissed off but never did give them a ring.  I would assume that Mt Gox has roughly the same policies, and I have always assumed that both are perfectly willing to work with any law enforcement agencies who might have been convinced to look into some of the thefts.

I guess the 'big' thieves are going to have to be using exchanges like B7 to try to cash out (chuckle), and those who have not managed to liquidate already must be getting pretty irritated and desperate as the price continues to fall.  That's about the close to 'justice' as can be achieved in the Bitcoin world I suppose.

---

BTW, I've always wondered how much Mt Gox _really_ paid for the Polish exchange.  I wonder if they did not 're-fund' the accounts with some of the funding which was already in the accounts.  Not that it would have necessarily have been a pre-planned thing on the part of Mt Gox, but after the deed was done it could have been a useful exit strategy for the thieves to sell the exchange and the funds at a discount and in fact the users who got ripped off came out well too.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
WiseOldOwl

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2011, 10:36:05 PM

5:35 in Iowa, and no money transfer to my Dwolla yet...
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 10:53:46 PM

yeah to be honest, i'm getting worried.

after weeks of 'pending' i felt quite relieved to become verified, but anxiety returned when i learned their '10x limit increase' statement was wrong and i still have to withdraw bit by bit.

repentance

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 11:06:29 PM

I'm not sure that I'd trust any of the exchanges to cease operating and return all user funds/BTC if their businesses are not longer viable due to falling revenues.  I doubt that any of them have the kind of significant reserves which would allow them to "tough it out" for an extended period - they're all fairly new and the period when high volume and high price was giving them good revenue was fairly short.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2011, 11:32:43 PM

I'm not sure that I'd trust any of the exchanges to cease operating and return all user funds/BTC if their businesses are not longer viable due to falling revenues.  I doubt that any of them have the kind of significant reserves which would allow them to "tough it out" for an extended period - they're all fairly new and the period when high volume and high price was giving them good revenue was fairly short.

Well, we're going to find out. The volume in currency on Mt. Gox is declining steadily. It's about half what it was in August. The amount of cash in the system is dropping as the price of Bitcoins drop.  (You might think that as the price of Bitcoins drops, the cash would remain the same and more Bitcoins would be traded, but that isn't what's happening. There's probably even less money in the market than there appears, since the 'bot traders are mostly trading the same funds back and forth.)

It's not the exchange's money. They're just custodians of it.  Mt. Gox is at best a money transfer firm under Japanese law, and money transfer firms in Japan are required to keep customer funds separate from their own funds. If they haven't done that, it's theft. Unlike a regulated bank, a money transfer firm in Japan is not allowed to do fractional reserve banking.

We know who runs Mt. Gox.: Mark Karpelès. If it comes to that, we know who goes to jail.

Meanwhile, get your cash out of Mt. Gox. If they're honest and have all customer cash and Bitcoins, it won't hurt them. If they're not, better to know sooner than later.
WiseOldOwl

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2011, 11:38:23 PM

Well, we're going to find out. The volume in currency on Mt. Gox is declining steadily. It's about half what it was in August. The amount of cash in the system is dropping as the price of Bitcoins drop.  (You might think that as the price of Bitcoins drops, the cash would remain the same and more Bitcoins would be traded, but that isn't what's happening. There's probably even less money in the market than there appears, since the 'bot traders are mostly trading the same funds back and forth.)

It's not the exchange's money. They're just custodians of it.  Mt. Gox is at best a money transfer firm under Japanese law, and money transfer firms in Japan are required to keep customer funds separate from their own funds. If they haven't done that, it's theft. Unlike a regulated bank, a money transfer firm in Japan is not allowed to do fractional reserve banking.

We know who runs Mt. Gox.: Mark Karpelès. If it comes to that, we know who goes to jail.

Meanwhile, get your cash out of Mt. Gox. If they're honest and have all customer cash and Bitcoins, it won't hurt them. If they're not, better to know sooner than later.

This is the issue. We know they are supposed to have all funds at all times.
They have given a couple contradicting reasons as to why this is happening. Bottom line is, why the **** are they not telling us exactly what happened? They are not Goldman Sachs, do they think that a number like 400,000 is to much to handle? Just say it, " we are behind about 400k and waiting for it to transfer. it was transferred from a to b on x, will clear on y. WTF
plogank

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 03:27:07 AM

I just moved 127 BTC out of MtGox without any trouble.  Of course that's not a lot of money and I had to do it over two days because of their 100 BTC per day limit.

I think if I do any more trading for a wile it'll be over at Exchb.  It's not as fast but at least David will respond to an email.

Phil

If you like this post a donation would be nice....  1PhCzA9o1jcwHr7PR4mxea8nJYUJWpKAGb

Besides, It'll drive me crazy trying to figure where it came from.
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2011, 04:45:47 AM

I just moved 127 BTC out of MtGox without any trouble.  Of course that's not a lot of money and I had to do it over two days because of their 100 BTC per day limit.

I think if I do any more trading for a wile it'll be over at Exchb.  It's not as fast but at least David will respond to an email.

Phil

Good to hear, but nobody is disputing they have bitcoins available. The issue is dollar solvency.

WiseOldOwl

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2011, 06:25:37 AM

Its like gox got hacked by some info stealers lol.
There answer to every problem is -
"Send us your full identity, and a bunch of supporting documents"

Also, i see natalie, adam, etc. from gox but they aren't stating exactly what the hell happened??
WiseOldOwl

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2011, 06:29:38 AM

-Too many currency withdraw options.
-Open Court Case in France.
-No Liquidity on Dwolla (the major funding method)
-Europeans want SEPA but aren't getting it really

Any more to add...
repentance

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 07:06:20 AM

Its like gox got hacked by some info stealers lol.
There answer to every problem is -
"Send us your full identity, and a bunch of supporting documents"

Also, i see natalie, adam, etc. from gox but they aren't stating exactly what the hell happened??

Adam gave a relatively lengthy explanation on reddit which addressed how their AML verification process came to fuck up so badly.  My personal viewpoint is that they knew they'd have to verify a large volume of accounts and they should have hired dedicated staff for that purpose rather than letting those 1000+ emails sit in Mark's inbox until someone got around to dealing with them, but not acting until something reaches crisis point is typical of how MtGox has reacted in the past.  They seem utterly unable to foresee potential problems and incapable of acting quickly to resolve them when they occur - and that suggests that the resources at their disposal are frighteningly limited.

You forgot

- Australian user funds in Technocash currently frozen

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: