Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:39:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Banned in Russia  (Read 9412 times)
paulifa123

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 10:55:27 PM

Considering Putin actually employs Max Kieser on his state owned propaganda channel Russia Today, I'm surprised he isn't more sympathetic to Bitcoin lol!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2014, 11:37:23 PM

Considering Putin actually employs Max Kieser on his state owned propaganda channel Russia Today, I'm surprised he isn't more sympathetic to Bitcoin lol!!

Perhaps Russia will be making the transition to MaxCoin?  Tongue
Mk2vr6

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 01:07:42 AM

Perhaps Russia will be making the transition to MaxCoin?  Tongue

Now there's a worrying thought!
Shad3dOne

Activity: 261
Merit: 250

Interesting.....

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 03:45:04 AM

In Soviet Russia, Bitcoin bans You!

Oleg, more vodka!!

Smiley

Domain for sale -> NXTcoin.com, 200 btc/2.9 M nxt. pm me
like craigslist but for btc! --> Visit BTClist.com
FederationCredits--> C6khbXzADRUeT9di2SpNubCt2UVTuayKMV What's this?
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:57:35 AM

has anyone seen the new Max Keiser report show? or RT show?

cryptog1

Activity: 117

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 04:06:38 AM

This is article from coindesk -http://www.coindesk.com/btce-pulls-support-ruble-russia-bans-bitcoin/- states clearly that Russia has banned cryptos in the country.

“The anonymous payment systems and crypto-currencies, including bitcoin – which is the most popular of them – are monetary surrogates. As such, their use by private citizens or legal entities is not allowed."

Anyone has the original source in Russian?
api

Activity: 218

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 04:14:20 AM

This is article from coindesk -http://www.coindesk.com/btce-pulls-support-ruble-russia-bans-bitcoin/- states clearly that Russia has banned cryptos in the country.

“The anonymous payment systems and crypto-currencies, including bitcoin – which is the most popular of them – are monetary surrogates. As such, their use by private citizens or legal entities is not allowed."

http://cbr.ru/press/PR.aspx?file=27012014_1825052.htm
rat

Activity: 253

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 07:47:26 AM

cryptog1, seems you have atleast glanced beyond the media and found the meeting notes, which is good to see.

article 27 means ruble is the official currency of central banks (FIAT/legal tender), bitcoin wont replace it.

bitcoin does not want to be a replacement of FIAT/legal tender, it wants to work along side legal tender. just like russia allows euro's to be exchanged, airmiles, travelers cheques, even facebook credits..

the statement
In accordance with Art. 27 of the Federal Law "On the Central Bank of the Russian Federation", "the official currency (currency) of the Russian Federation is the ruble. Introduction on the territory of Russia and other monetary units issue money substitutes is prohibited. " Certain distribution received anonymous payment systems and kriptovalyuty, including the most famous of them - Bitcoin are money substitutes and can not be used by individuals and legal entities.

the statement in red is the official and legal stance of russia.. EG ruble wont be substituted by bitcoin.

the statement in green is someone elses hypothesis to the meaning of the law. but infact is not law itself. it is just a statement.

the meeting was not a law making activity, it was a discussion between bankers, Russian FSB and the Russian Interior Ministry to discuss the status of bitcoin. no law has changed regarding bitcoin as of yet. but these meetings are discussion meetings which may lead to law changes in the future.

again bitcoin is not replacing the ruble, much like air miles, facebook credits, zynga coins are not replacing the ruble. as such bitcoin is not illegal.

all this meeting proves is that bitcoin seems negatively received by the russian authorities and law changes may happen. but this meeting has not changed a thing! infact the chapter 6 article 27 has not changed since 2002..

enjoy your research

looks like you're wrong. text harder next time.
cryptog1

Activity: 117

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:10:13 AM

http://cbr.ru/press/PR.aspx?file=27012014_1825052.htm

So it s the same official statement that I referred to. The statement is (if Google translate is right):
--
Central Bank of the Russian Federation (Bank of Russia)

Press office

107016, Moscow, ul. Neglinnaya 12, tel.: +7 495 771-44-17, 771-4669, fax: +7 495 771-49-32; www.cbr.ru

Information

On the use in transactions "virtual currency", in particular, Bitcoin

The Bank of Russia said that recently in the world have a certain distribution of the so-called "virtual currency", in particular, Bitcoin. By "virtual currencies" and there is no provision for them legally obliged entities. These operations are speculative in nature, carried out on the so-called "virtual exchanges" and carry a high risk of loss of value.

The Bank of Russia warns citizens and legal entities, primarily credit institutions and non-credit financial institutions, the use of "virtual currency" for them in exchange for goods (works, services) or cash in rubles and foreign currency.

According to article 27 of the Federal Law "On the Central Bank of the Russian Federation (Bank of Russia)" issue in the Russian Federation monetary surrogates prohibited.

Due to the anonymous nature of the activity for the production of "virtual currency" unlimited range of actors and to use them for transactions citizens and legal persons may be, including unintentionally involved in illegal activities, including the legalization (laundering) of proceeds from crime and terrorist financing.

The Bank of Russia has warned that Russian legal entities providing services for the exchange of "virtual currency" in rubles and foreign currency, as well as for goods (works, services) will be considered as a potential involvement in the implementation of suspicious transactions in accordance with the legislation on counteraction to legalization (laundering) proceeds of crime and financing of terrorism.
--

It says 3 things basically:
1- warning against the use of "virtual currencies"
2- there is no possible use of money surrogate (surrogate meaning replacing the rubble here)
3- exchanging virtual currency will be considered as a potential involvement in suspicious transactions.

We are already used to 1-
2- is nothing new and bitcoin is not here to replace the rubble.
3- is I agree harsh but as long as you are not dealing with the mafia, it should be ok (I concede: easier to say than to do in Russia).

So there is no clear statement that says -“The anonymous payment systems and crypto-currencies, including bitcoin – which is the most popular of them – are monetary surrogates. As such, their use by private citizens or legal entities is not allowed." - so far.
I may be wrong though.

And even if that statement exists, they have yet to make a law that bans bitcoins and crypto clearly.
It looks to me that they are preparing laws that would do the opposite legalizing cryptos by regulating them.

Forbidding cryptos would be an act of dictatorship. I don t believe Russia is a totalitarian country, at that stage....
rat

Activity: 253

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 09:20:19 AM

1. lol @ russia
2. lol @ laws
3. lol @ russian laws
4. ya. bitcons are banned in russia. cuz they said so.
barwizi
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 10:41:40 AM

I think a bigger question is if any laws in russia can be enforced at all. :-/

very swiftly and decisively, they will shut down a lot of stuff in a few hours once the go ahead is given. If they feel it is a threat, it will be terminated with extreme prejudice on an almost military scale. 
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 02:34:48 PM

Russia was always strict, against innovation (if it wasn't military), and had no respect for human rights. Don't expect bitcoin support from them, they are not far from North Korea with this.
You protest against anything, they will beat it out of you.

kkaspar

Activity: 140

banned but not broken

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 02:37:48 PM

Stop crying.
China and Russia banned BTC because it's not very hard to see that most of the coins and the market is owned by wall street players.
barwizi
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:49:44 PM

Russia was always strict, against innovation (if it wasn't military), and had no respect for human rights. Don't expect bitcoin support from them, they are not far from North Korea with this.
You protest against anything, they will beat it out of you.

don't paint it in such a biased light. In each society there are acceptable things and unacceptable things, nothing is always as it seems on the surface. They oppress that which they perceive to be a threat, military economic and moral. you cannot expect each different country to be the same. If you've had experience in different countries and really studied the situation you'll find that in most democracies, the laws put in place and enforced where made necessary by some events prior. As for human rights, there are few countries that actually follow them to the letter, least of all the top 20 powers of the world.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 05:32:42 PM

Florida has found a more elegant way than that.  Shocked

Truth is the new hatespeech.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 09:15:46 PM

As I am registered as a money transmitter and Fin-CEN compliant, I am looking forward to profitable cryptocurrency relationships with my soon-to-be new friends in Mother Russia!

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Mikcik

Activity: 742

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 09:48:00 PM

I wrote this in a new thread - too bad Mr putin do not understand what opportunity he is missing out on

I have been playing with this thought a few days.

So everyone that follows Putins politics clearly understands his goals and ambitions by now, to rebuild russia as an empire and super power and to stand against US and EU on any global issue (snowden, syria, ukraine the list goes on and on) to show his muscles. One can have opinions about how stupid, retarded, illiterate and counterproductive he is about going at it, but no one neglects his ambitions.

So it's very pity and a shame that he really do not have any technical /economical advisor that understands the potential of Btc and really can explain to him where bitcoin can play a global role to diminish usd power.

If he really understood the damage a world wide adoption of bitcoin can do to the financial system ( which in large is controlled by american institutions and USD ) and how he can help accelerate and stimulate this development by creating a safe heaven in russia I'm 150% confident he would do it. He would go all in.  Russia has nothing to lose, american instituions control the financial system of the world, usd is the global currency of the world and russia has nothing to loose if bitcoin would to take over the world.

And its quite easy -create a safe heaven for any company and project related to bitcoin, it will create ten and hundred thousands of jobs in Russia.

Andreas you need to talk to Mr Putin.

Anyone close to Putin, PLease let Andreas make 1 hour pitch to him. Putin would die for the opportunity to take down usd.

You are so so so naive... do you really think that he and russia doesnt have a plan how to replace USD? Of course they most probably have, but it will happen the way THEY want, and WHEN THEY want, not according to what some stupid bitcoin communities wants and thinks, the sheer naivity of your post... :-(.
Mikcik

Activity: 742

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 09:52:28 PM

So hows the situation really? I know by the end of January that bitcoin was said to be banned in Russia, but in the begging of February theres some statement that bitcoin IS really benned and Hungary based  BTC-E exchanges doesnt allow the acceptence of rubles...? S how is it... Is it really illegal to buy BTC for RUB these days...?
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 10:14:00 PM

can people stop spreading FUD and please stop using amateur sources that are not backed by proof!!!

BTC-E has not removed Ruble support. so stop sniffing the glue and please go to BTC-E and check out the BTC/RUR, LTC/RUR, and USD/RUR tabs. grrrrr i hate misinterpretations, chinese whispers, and lack of researching the news..

seriously guys before posting on this forum, when you read a news article atleast research it!

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 10:19:20 PM

Something I've been curious about since I read this earlier. Wrt the statement in red - how is it possible then to have oбмeн вaлютa or whatever it's called (excuse my Russian) on every street corner swapping rubles for dollars or euros?

thank you for understanding my point.

alot of media is interpreting that chapter 6 article 27 of the finance law states that the only currency allowed to be handled by anyone is the Ruble.

the fact is that article of law tells people the official legal tender is the Ruble.

if any other currency was banned then the bureau de change would not exist in russia, and everyone would have to exchange out of russia.

atleast there are some smart people that do research and look between the lines

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: