Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:02:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 22 Messages From Creationists To People Who Believe In Evolution  (Read 18769 times)
C10H15N

Activity: 811
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:58:49 PM

Even Scientology has better shtick.   Cheesy

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 12:42:05 PM

Why doesn't God just destroy Satan? God is all-powerful and omnipresent after all.

Maybe he doesn't want to kill/fight fire with fire. But he was happy to send his only son down to earth to get crucified.

If he really has influence on humankind, surely he would stop all the suffering and create some sort of new planet for us all to live on in peace.

Or maybe he's just not real, and was made up by people, due to their previous lack of knowledge about physics and the universe. I know which explanation I believe.

Back to the Evo vs ID debate, yes it would be nice if there were MORE evidence backing the evolutionary theory (same as any other scientific theory - It can never be proven totally 100%) But the evidence we do have is surely better than the evidence of ID, which is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

I know which one I'd bet my bitcoins on.

Um.  Have you read the book of Revelation?  Satan will get his due reward!  Also, God will stop suffering.  He will "Wipe the tears from our eyes" the Bible says and "He will make a new heaven and and  new earth."  So there will be a "new planet" if you will where we will live in peace.

I haven't fully read Revelation, but I think I know the gist of it. It's to do with the 7 angels with 7 plagues, and an apocalyptic scenario where Satan is destroyed, along with everyone who doesn't have faith in God. Something like that, right?

Shame he hasn't done anything about it yet, your God seems to be taking his time.

Anyway, I don't see how you can just quote the Bible as evidence for anything at all, seeing as it was written by hundreds of people a mere couple of thousand years ago.

What if I believe in the religious writings of Ancient Egypt: According to the Book of the Dead, when we die we are transported to Osiris's realm of the "Duat", where we must pass a series of brutal tests involving supernatural monsters, before we are led into the final test by Anubis. Here, our hearts are weighed against the goddess Maat (the heart represents the weight of our sins). If the scales balance, we get to go into the afterlife. But if not, then our heart is devoured by another deity, Ammit, ending our journey into the afterlife prematurely.  Sad

Now that sounds ridiculous, right? But this Egyptian text (one of the more modern texts incidentally) is well over 3000 years old. The book of Revelation is less than 2000 years old. Why would you not believe the older text, and put so much faith in the newer one?

Answer: It's because you were taught that the Bible was truth when you were younger, but were not taught that the Egyptian writings were the truth. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Neither have any evidence that they are true or false, so please stop quoting one text (the bible) as truth when anyone could quote any other religious text as an alternate truth.

Also, re: Noah's Ark (and the Bible in general tbh), how do you explain that there absolutely no references to any creatures/entities that weren't known of at the time (eg subatomic particles/viruses/bacteria/colossal squid/dinosaurs/megalodons/pluto/asteroid belt/exoplanets/galaxies/white dwarves/radiation etc. etc.). It seems that there would be at least the tiniest thing in there somewhere, if everything had been created.

Bit of a coincidence that everything that god created was already known about by humans, no?

You're wasting your time, dude. Just read the rest of the thread. Logic or rationale doesn't hold any weight with the brainwashed and closeminded.
darkota

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:59:32 PM

I used to be a huge Christian, argueing on boards on the time etc etc.

Now, I'm not part of any religion. I believe that their is a "all powerful being/thing", and the only thing we need to do, is love.

Love is the only thing in the world there could never be enough of, I'm not talking about sex, I'm talking about kindess, compassion, all the things that form/show love to one another.

Religion is guided by fools, half those priests are pedofiles, even the jewish people are...it's too corrupted, after all they are human and definitely not "chosen" by god.

I say, forget religion, Have love. Let love be your guide. If you are in a religion out of love, I respect and honor that.
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 02:17:40 AM

How did I miss this epic debate?  Grin

The essential issue here is that structure and formations of thought between people from science and religious background is so different.  This requires extremely precise wording which is difficult if not impossible in rapid or verbal debate. 

1. For example, let's address fact vs. theory and the unexplained in science:

There are no general facts in observational science.  There are of course specific facts like "I found this rock at GPS coordinates XXX".  But for ideas like evolution or global warming there is only theory.  However some theories are supported by so many diverse and unrelated observations that scientists name them "fact" as a kind of verbal shorthand.  However, that does not mean that these fact-like theories will never be changed.

Actually, theories like the Newtonian equations and evolution are often changed.  BUT in a way that is hard for many religious people to understand the theories were not previously wrong.  What happens is that the theory is found to be imprecise or apply to a narrower environment then previously supposed.  For example Newton's theory of motion turned out to be not perfectly precise at slow speeds and to be so imprecise as to become inapplicable as speed approaches that of light.  And as we all know, it was superseded by relativity.  But for all cases that Newton could see and to his measurement accuracy, his theory was correct.   

Also, mathematically if you take the equations of relativity, and assume that the maximum speed is MUCH slower than light, certain terms become 0.  What's left ARE Newton's equations!  This is probably the ultimate demonstration of my point...

Similarly with evolution.  Punctuated Equilibrium is evolution with more detail.  Also, today biochemistry researchers are discovering that the cell has clever chemical ways of mixing and recombining mutations to make them less lethal.  Additionally, the cell is structured so that mutations occur more often in stressed environments (using a mechanism that is not really understood).  So maybe there is some "design" in evolution after all...

There are some facts in mathematics or other abstract disciplines.  A better term would be "proofs".  For example, if you take as given a whole host of assumptions we call the "Cartesian" coordinate system (i.e graph paper) then Pythagorean's Theorem is true (a fact).  But if the REAL UNIVERSE is NOT Cartesian then it is not true in this the real universe (and right now the shape of the universe is a matter of great debate).  So you see the entire fact must be written "If this and this and this, THEN this is true".  But lazy people (and people who want to argue with science) shorten it to "...this is true".

2. The unexplained

It is true that there is the unexplained in science.  Science does not claim to have all the answers.  Often religious people make the mistake of pushing "answers" onto science that scientists did not really say (they skip the "if this and this and this" part of the fact).  Scientists who say science has proven that there is no God are making the same assertions-without-proof as religious people.  A better statement would be:

Historically, many phenomena that were attributed to the divine have now been explained by science.  However, some questions (and many new questions) remain unexplained.  These questions may never be explained by science and we may even discover God in them.  However, the existence of questions not explained by science does not prove that there is God because these questions may be scientifically answered in the future.

3. Science allows for God

Einstein had a famous anti-Quantum Mechanics quote "God does not play dice" because quantum mechanics is all about probabilities.  For example, there is a small probability that atoms "tunnel" through a classically-impenetrable wall of other atoms and can magically appear on the other side.  In theory at least there's actually an infinitesimally tiny chance of any particular miracle (say trillions of water molecules jumping to the side, or light deflecting in a manner to form a figure) happening.  So miracles actually CAN happen without breaking the laws of physics!  Of course, the existence of this possibility does not mean that

Additionally, from an abstract direction, Godel's Incompleteness Theorem basically shows that any sufficiently complex logical system can posit a question that is obviously true but cannot be proven from within the system.

4. Additional fun:

Researchers are evolving algorithms in hardware: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolvable_hardware
I read some of the early research.  One fascinating result is that the circuits that evolved tended to create small groups of high-feedback logic.  The groups were then loosely interconnected.  This result is very similar to what people see in cellular chemistry, genetics, and the structure of the brain.  However it is VERY different from a computer program or human-made electrical design which tends to be very linear -- like the "TODO" list you might make for yourself before going on vacation.

Congrats and thanks to anyone who slogged thru all this!  Mostly I wrote it for myself :-)  After all, I will likely never meet you!

taipo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Kia ora!

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 05:31:57 AM

But, how do you explain this flat earth, without believing in the all seeing bearded guy living just above the tent cover called the clouds? ( or the dome as it is referred to, that covers the flat earth )

Support the two platforms essential to protecting the identities of whistleblowers. Both accept bitcoin donations.
https://globaleaks.org - GlobalLeaks ( btc: see http://goo.gl/D5wM0L )
http://goo.gl/sZg2RN  - SecureDrop: whistleblower submission system
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 06:53:05 PM

What does this have to do with Bitcoin?

Oh - I get it!  You are saying that Bitcoin cannot exist because it is not mentioned in Genesis.  Mystery solved!

But bitcoin has it's own genesis block Wink

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 03:56:37 AM

One of my favourite fossils, I remember reading about it 20 years ago when I was a kid. Since then, a lot more evidence has surfaced to suggest today's birds are distant relatives of dinosaurs - likely that they are related to the very few small dinosaurs that escaped the extinction event.

Actually creatures with anatomical distinctions of modern birds were contemporaries of dinosaurs for tens of millions of years before the major extinction event.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evograms_06

Mammals had a giant overlap as well as I recall.  It's a reasonable hypothesis that a somewhat effective endothermic metabolism helped both groups survive the event.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
darkota

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 12:38:36 AM

David Berlinski is wrong on all points.

Evolution is clearly present, if you want hands on proof, become an archaeologist, or go to a museum. Anyone who denies evolution is completely delusional...
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 06:18:35 AM

Evolution is clearly present, if you want hands on proof, become an archaeologist, or go to a museum. Anyone who denies evolution is completely delusional...

Archaeology didn't prove anything since we never discovered any species with "in-progress" organs. Absence of these proofs in archaeology annoys me terribly and is also the reason why Darwin's theory is still a theory and should be considered as such.

BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1373

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 07:15:17 AM

Did you guys watch the debate with Ken Ham and Bill Nye?

Although it was an interesting listen, I wasn't all that impressed by either side.  Like I mentioned above, David Berlinski is an AGNOSTIC, and he makes some incredible points against evolution.  Here is a good clip of him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHeSaUq-Hl8

I watched.  For the most part I really liked it.  Although I completely agree with Ken Ham on almost all his points, I really wish he had not made as many references to the Bible, or at least saved it until the end when someone asked if he would ever change his mind or what was the most important thing to him.  To use the Bible as a point of reference is irrelevant to those who do not believe in the Bible.

Also, there was more observational scientific facts that he could have shared for a few topics.  One being that there are some reasons why the stars can appear so far away even though the earth is young (It has to do with Einsteins theory of relativity.  To learn more research Dr. Russel Humphrey's studies in his book "Starlight and Time") and there is evidence in the fossil record of plenty of sea animals that are in areas that would not be expected that can only be explained with a world-wide flood, just for a couple of things. But there is only so much time I guess.  At least the discussion was started.  It really is important to seperate the historical science that cannot be observed from the present day observational and experimental science that we can all agree on.  That was a good point Ken Ham made.

And, for those that watched the debate, what was up with Bill Nye's discussion on fish sex?  I still don't really get the point he was trying to make there completely. Wink  I never have thought much about it though!   Tongue

http://www.albatrus.org/english/theology/creation/biblical_age_earth.htm   Wink

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/.

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 07:19:12 AM

Archaeology didn't prove anything since we never discovered any species with "in-progress" organs. Absence of these proofs in archaeology annoys me terribly and is also the reason why Darwin's theory is still a theory and should be considered as such.

What is an 'in-progress' organ?  I guess you mean some organ which does not work but is getting there?  If so, "you are doing it wrong."  Many/most creatures have vestigial structures and organs which are no longer important for the life way's they've evolved to exploit, and other organs and structures which are undergoing relatively rapid development to better exploit said.

The 'theory' of evolution is just that.  A theory.

It's a fact that creatures evolve from one form to another and eventually become differentiated as separate species over time.  A depressingly large contingent of people consider this not true, but that's mainly because the human brain is evolved to accept mysticism and magic as a viable explanation for things.  It simplifies things so one need not waste time thinking about stuff which are not necessary for one's immediate survival, and more critically it makes management easier for the subset of people who will become leaders.  Groups of humans who can be more easily lead will be more successful overall when we run into other groups and compete for resources and what-not so we've 'evolved' to be as we are in this way.  (That's my hypothesis anyway.)

The 'theory' part of the 'theory of evolution' consists of various peoples explanations about the details of how and why evolution happens.  Much like the 'theory of operation' of a gasoline engine.  There is really no debate about how a gas engine works generally, but there is a lot of room to study the intricacies of thermodynamics and apply them to combustion chamber design for instance.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 12:10:32 PM

I just discovered one in your digestive tract. Your appendix.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
shogdite

Activity: 798

LIR Dev. www.letitride.io

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 12:35:11 PM

Wow there's people on the forum who consider evolution a theory!

Darwin killed God years ago Smiley

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 01:08:50 PM

Because we can't time travel to the past, whatever hypothesis about it we have it's called a "theory". There will never be empirical evidence about such things! Archeology isn't an exact science and sometimes trying to guess what that means out of few specimens may lead to wrong interpretations; imagine an archaeologist 10.000 years in the future digging out the remains of a bachelor party, we will write that we live like that... at least until some more specimens of our age can be found.

But bottom line: The difference between Darwin and religion, is that while Darwin theories are supported by evidence and remains from the past we have so far, religious theories are plain bullshit suitable only for 3 year old kids as stories. Or in short: Darwin theories have over 75% of chances to be right, religious ones 0%

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 02:58:45 PM

I just discovered one in your digestive tract. Your appendix.

It's also just another theory. A theory can't prove another one.

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 03:02:32 PM

Wow there's people on the forum who consider evolution a theory!

Darwin killed God years ago Smiley

Nope since there is no way to prove that God couldn't have create through evolution.

C10H15N

Activity: 811
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 03:02:42 PM

Religion may not survive the Internet

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/16/religion_may_not_survive_the_internet/

...In all of the frenzy, few seem to give any recognition to the player that I see as the primary hero, or, if you prefer, culprit—and I’m not talking about science populizer and atheist superstar Neil deGrasse Tyson. Then again, maybe Iam talking about Tyson in a sense, because in his various viral guises—as a talk show host and tweeter and as the face on scores of smartass Facebook memes—Tyson is an incarnation of the biggest threat that organized religion has ever faced: the internet.

A traditional religion, one built on “right belief,” requires a closed information system. That is why the Catholic Church put an official seal of approval on some ancient texts and banned or burned others. It is why some Bible-believing Christians are forbidden to marry nonbelievers. It is why Quiverfull moms home school their kids from carefully screened text books. It is why, when you get sucked into conversations with your fundamentalist uncle George from Florida, you sometimes wonder if he has some superpower that allows him to magically close down all avenues into his mind. (He does!)...

tl;dr: The Internet is where religions come to die.
http://youtu.be/0Rqw4krMOug

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 03:08:51 PM

...In all of the frenzy, few seem to give any recognition to the player that I see as the primary hero, or, if you prefer, culprit—and I’m not talking about science populizer and atheist superstar Neil deGrasse Tyson. Then again, maybe Iam talking about Tyson in a sense, because in his various viral guises—as a talk show host and tweeter and as the face on scores of smartass Facebook memes—Tyson is an incarnation of the biggest threat that organized religion has ever faced: the internet.

A traditional religion, one built on “right belief,” requires a closed information system. That is why the Catholic Church put an official seal of approval on some ancient texts and banned or burned others. It is why some Bible-believing Christians are forbidden to marry nonbelievers. It is why Quiverfull moms home school their kids from carefully screened text books. It is why, when you get sucked into conversations with your fundamentalist uncle George from Florida, you sometimes wonder if he has some superpower that allows him to magically close down all avenues into his mind. (He does!)...

This is silly to think religion will die. Maybe some will die but others will rise. Religion is about things we cannot prove and this will always be part of human history. You better get used to that.

redHeadBlunder

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 03:23:57 PM

I don't think people were ever unaware of other religions prior to the internet as people often tried to get people to convert to their own religion, often times forceably (via war)
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 03:24:44 PM

This is silly to think religion will die. Maybe some will die but others will rise. Religion is about things we cannot prove and this will always be part of human history. You better get used to that.

How can you assume that?! Never before there was anything nearly of what internet is.
We are going to a new order, new horizons... Spirituality may never die, it's somehow built-in ourselves, but religion in the sense of an organization is dying. All religions are losing support, their "growth" is only by fake numbers and high natality.
In the fake numbers, my country is a fair example. Accordingly to all statistics 98% of us are Roman Catholic. But... are we? Just get to a church at any town around during mass, they are nearly empty, just with a bunch of old folks. Roman church made so much pressure against several subjects, as condoms, pill, abortion... yet we have free condoms, pills and abortion up to 10 weeks, passed by a national referendum.
Still, and even if nobody gives a rat about what Catholic church says or doesn't say, for the accounting systems we still are "98% Catholic"... whatever that means.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: