Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:36:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »
  Print  
Author Topic: AML/KYC Explained  (Read 396361 times)
omorfi

Activity: 728
Merit: 264

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 11:22:54 PM

I justed learned the AML procedure from you article, thanks for that. I really like and support KYC process. This is a nightmare for the multi account owners. The best parf of this enable a fair bounty distribution.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
V-t.Ester

Activity: 532
Merit: 25

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 07:54:09 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2018, 11:11:16 AM by V-t.Ester

Several months ago I made certain that some projects that need verification are very uncertain. On the question to the manager: "So, when I will receive my tokens?" I've got an answer: "We don't have official announcement yet." A lot of people I spoke with believe that project failed. So KYC doesn't always guaranty reliability.
sallee2

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 05:20:41 AM

I think you are in the know of how financial institution works and talk candid - the combination doesn't come easy. I am related to financial institutes in Australia and I'm a bitcoin early-adopter/supporter/consultant/journalist. If you take out large amounts of cash, they report on you also.  Account mangers have to audit any flagged account, based on a set of hush hush rules, and report. Like if you deposit as little as 2000.00 in cash, if that's not normal for that account
strongwarrior238

Activity: 294
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 05:21:02 AM

I am not making a statement one way or another about gun control, just using it as an example.  Gun control rules create a set of circumstances that means law abiding citizens have fewer guns and criminals have more. The financial institutions are agents of the government and AML/KYC is one such rods handed to them to beat people into line, so that a tab is kept on every of their dealings for scrutiny anytime
tatum506

Activity: 311
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 05:21:12 AM

It's an invasion of privacy in my opinion, but the world is controlled by man made laws, and this is how they maintain that control. If everyone was free range and able to do whatever they please, they would lose control. This is why BTC is attacked, obviously, and why ICO sales have been using KYC methods that are a total invasion of privacy
BitcoinMarshal

Activity: 756
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 08:10:15 PM

Several months ago I made certain that some projects that need verification are very uncertain. On the question to the manager: "So, when I will receive my tokens?" I've got an answer: "We don't have official announcement yet." A lot of people I spoke with believe that project failed. So KYC doesn't always guaranty reliability.
Its absolutely right its never been guarantee that if some one asking for KYC then this project is going to be succeeded its just for some paper works I also joined few projects and passed this but still these most failed and now in next few months this is going to be more tough as many governments going to be very strict about this which can hit these ICO's very baldy as many users don't want to share their own personal information on internet for safety
Bobby Ocean

Activity: 6
Merit: 3

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 09:33:32 AM
Merited by freigeist (3)

Here a reality check: KYC/AML is not your friend, it will not help you from getting scammed, it will not help you to have more trust in the people you are working with in cryptroland. It's one and only purpose (in this context) is to control the on and off ramp in exchanges that allow you to convert crypto to fiat and back again. To be able to track your financial activities and coerce you into revealing private information about profit and loss in exchanges around the world.

However, there is very little actual policy that has been written into law, anywhere, right now.  Most of the news and PR spin coming from Governments around the world is pure FUD, then backpedaling.  As a result of these quasi-empty, well timed threats coming out of news agencies that are literally being paid to churn out paid propaganda, many exchanges are voluntarily enacting KYC/AML policies to the effect of locking up peoples money, losing clients, and going out of business.  

Exchanges are not banks.  Right now, in the US, exchanges that do fiat to crypto and allow bank wires in and out of accounts are not currently required to send their customers a 1099K form, which is the form that reports to the IRS on profit, loss and income. Why is that?  Because the IRS has still not set a clear policy on crypto.  The last policy the IRS set was in 2014 in it's decision to classify Bitcoin as an asset instead of a currency, which pretty much the definition of a poison pill. And recently a Federal Court determined that it was the courts opinion that Bitcoin was not an asset, but a commodity.

KYC/AML has nothing to do with terrorism, or organized crime anymore, those guys from the Cartels, The Triads, The various Mob Organizations, Putins Oligarchs, they simply go right to the top and pay off or blackmail the government officials and regulators. They really don't even have to try and blackmail anybody anymore, cause most of these people in control of these things are just happy to take the money.  

"The regulators aren't concerned about money laundering, except that they get their cut." - Paul H.

Anyone who is in crypto and is fully supporting KYC/AML should have their head examined. KYC/AML is about control.  Control of most of us here on these forums, the little people, the tax cattle.

Satoshi Nakamoto's vision outlined in Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System:

"Abstract: A  purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution.  Digital signatures provide part of the solution, but the main benefits are lost if a trusted third party is still required to prevent double-spending. We propose a solution to the double-spending problem using a peer-to-peer network. The network timestamps transactions by hashing them into an ongoing chain of hash-based proof-of-work, forming a record that cannot be changed without redoing the proof-of-work."

Bitcoin is the first decentralized digital currency, as the system works without a central bank or single administrator. The network is peer-to-peer and transactions take place between users directly, without an intermediary. These transactions are verified by network nodes through the use of cryptography and recorded in a public distributed ledger called a blockchain.

This reality is brought to you the people in the inside of the Global Fiat Cabal who happen to be very good stock traders who are making really good money in the various crypto to fiat exchanges around the world. Take some time to get to know know them, they are here among us:

A conversation overheard on a US based crypto trading floor a few weeks back by several retired successful stock brokers who now play the market of BTC to USD:

Paul H: The regulators aren't concerned about money laundering, except that they get their cut. If they were, all the big banks would be shut down. They have already paid fines for money laundering. And we know they are continuing, because they have been fined again.

So, its not about money laundering, its about making sure the tax cattle cannot escape.  All the little people have to stay and take their hair cut. (Like Crimea) While all the big boys, in the club, get to avoid such.

Fortunately, if the govern-cement does ban cryptos, it will only make them more valuable, and more people will use them. See any of the past prohibitions.

Ted C: Yep. The tax issue is huge. I think having such an open international exchange program is making the tax collector sweat. How can you possibly track the trades and gains on exchanges who are housed everywhere throughout the globe? You pretty much have to rely on the tax payer's honesty, and they are unlikely to do that.
$0.04

Robert G: Especially when honesty can cost you so much. Never speak of bitcoin and the Infernal Revolting Service will never ask you any questions.  Speak of bitcoin and they will have you over a barrel and demanding to know everything and after all that they will fine you for not doing what they said (after) in the first place.

Paul H:   They don't have to use bitcoin for money laundering If such currencies like monero and dash exist ))

Ted C: Yep, it's pretty difficult to launder money with crypto anyways. At least on a grand scale. You can turn it into cash easy enough, but the difficulty of laundering money has never been getting cash, it's getting fiat into a legit bank account without raising eyebrows. Still not easy to do with crypto.

Tony R: It will be interesting to see how cryptos for cannabis will fit into this world, as this blog says, less than 1 percent is used for money laundering. How do all the cannabis-related coins fit into this if they plan on using it for the exchange of cannabis (even legal cannabis)? Would that be considered "illicit activities" in the minds of regulators? Yet, the big banks are the biggest launderers of drug cartel money.

Fred S:It is simply the Big Corps finding an excuse to try to shut down Cryptocurrency

A little word to the wise: Coinbase has been thoroughly compromised. Move your accounts to Gemini, bitFlyer, anyone but Coinbase. We will soon see the garroted, rotting corpses hanging from the lampposts in cities around the US of the people betrayed by Coinbase when they caved in court, and most suspect that the price of the deal was an always open backdoor for the IRS to access information on US taxpayers with little or no resistance, going forward.

zakalwe

Activity: 445
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 04:44:43 PM

Countries like United States and Singapore have their own set of rules regarding purchasing crypto assets and other financial services specially banking. in order to acquire digital currencies and services from bank and other financial institute one has to go through certain verification process of identity check where you have to present identity proof documents. this process is called KYC or know your customer. AML or anti money laundering is similar process conducts to prevent the criminal activities.
resus

Activity: 252

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 01:19:08 PM

Isn't it a time to add Circle.com to the lists?
As far as I saw they request customer information and refer to KYC during registration.I wonder, whether this makes them compliant.
krocosee91010

Activity: 231

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2018, 04:45:09 PM

whether it is a requirement to submit a KYC to a list on the exchange, and now ICO also has to submit to KYC and that I am worried about ICO or its project scam, please Explain mate, and i think not all Exchange and ICO has official Regulation.
rtwspark

Activity: 4

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 05:03:58 AM

One thing to consider is that KYC/AML apply to traditional fiat, so say an exchange like Bitmex, from what I understand, has very low hurdles for customer acquisition.  I think all they need is an email.  But that's because they don't actually accept fiat - everything they do is in crypto
freigeist

Activity: 1107
Merit: 534

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 10:40:32 AM

One thing to consider is that KYC/AML apply to traditional fiat, so say an exchange like Bitmex, from what I understand, has very low hurdles for customer acquisition.  I think all they need is an email.  But that's because they don't actually accept fiat - everything they do is in crypto

On Poloniex and Bittrex there isn't any FIAT but yet they still fuck you with KYC and artificial withdrawal limits!
Almost all the ICO-s are using only Crypto but still want your KYC data. Why is that?

monkeyrage

Activity: 16

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 01:07:17 AM

At what point does supposed KYC/AML compliance requirement blocking access to amounts worth below the reporting trigger limits become a deliberate scam?

I am frustrated due to getting "KYC"ed for small scale investments, i.e. they already have my coin and are changing policy. Crypto financials have an absolutely abysmal security track record, and I am unwilling to spread my data around to every two satoshi operation, it's not a case of "if" ID theft will happen it's a case of WHEN. I am absolutely convinced that if I should give full ID to 10 such operations that it's absolutely guaranteed that my data would be stolen in a year. It's very highly likely even if I restrict myself to just 5... at the moment I am only providing ID to operations located in my home country who I can get restitution from easily if/when they screw up. I had deliberately limited size of investments for risk reasons and to "not have to deal" with any AML BS.

The problem is here, my credit could be abused into the tens of thousands of dollars range, so providing full ID is an additional tens of thousands worth of risk for things likely to realize a mere hundred or two in profit, if any.

I had expected crypto to fiat interfaces to require KYC, what has caught me off guard is the number of crypto<>crypto things now beginning to implement, often with no opportunity to withdraw investment.
Exactly... And it's far worse, because there is no accountability - when compared to a Chase or BofA, etc. big institution.. At least a breach with those monkeys mean you have some control..  The random exchanges are asking for all kinds of photos of passports, or drivers  licenses, etc.. So now personal info AND digital images (JPG's) are out there.. Sucks.
KRAUSS

Activity: 448
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 12:54:02 PM

On Poloniex and Bittrex there isn't any FIAT but yet they still fuck you with KYC and artificial withdrawal limits!
Almost all the ICO-s are using only Crypto but still want your KYC data. Why is that?

The worst thing is what you dont know to whom you send you documents. If you will send your passport to every ICO, what is not licensed and regulated  you can be scamed (((
rapidleech

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 05:35:12 PM

How come these policies can be adapted to ICOs and others projects with blockchain technologies?
mubigfan

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 01:45:03 AM

Thanks you for your post. I am newbie, it help me so much to understand about KYC that need for ICO project.
V1saya

Activity: 1050
Merit: 508

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 01:52:05 AM

Poloniex and Bittrex are under US strict policies reason why they are imposing strict KYC. Who knows the US government already have our complete personal identifications for possible investigations. I wonder why both companies didn't transfer to different country like Malta where Binance is heading.
lrdeoliveira

Activity: 532
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 07:04:27 AM

Maged once again I have looked up what you have put together here and read through it. Just wanted to say thank you for this highly informative text, which nowadays will play a rising role and of course also in the way clients will evaluate exchanges and their offerings and how they deal with their personal data
toantk

Activity: 793

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2018, 10:32:25 AM

Thank for you explaination.
sudnokpok

Activity: 406
Merit: 106

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 08:36:49 AM

Important aspects. But i think MTGOX should be removed from this nice article. When i see it's name i become different, furry.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »
  Print  

Jump to: