Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:52:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT Silver Bullion Gateway Gateway Updates and Information  (Read 12347 times)
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 10:33:57 PM

For the smart maths people out there

This chart says http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/volum-expansion-coefficients-solids-d_1894.html the volumetric thermal expansion coefficient of silver is 58.3 (10-6 m/(m K)) i can only assume they mean m^3 since that is how you would measure volume.

So if i multiply 58.3*0.000001 i get 0.0000583

So silver expands at 0.0000583 meters cubed per meter cubed per kelvin.

Room temperature is about 300 kelvin. The melting point of silver is about 1233 kelvin. So that's a difference of 933 kelvin.

So then i just multiply 0.0000583*933 and get 0.0543939 meters cubed per meter cubed of change.

Ive got to be honest that seems crazy. a 5.5% change in size as it cools? there is no way that can be right.

Its written as a linear expansion coefficient e.g. (m/m K) not (m^3/(m K)), a linear coefficient which is change in length per meter and degree of temperature, volumetric is 3x linear for a solid, but another reference I have says the volumetric expansion coefficient for silver is 54 *10^-6 (m^3/(m K)) AT 20C - I don't think solid to liquid volume change can't be calculated using a constant - sorry.

it doesn't need to be. the only point at which shrinking matters is past the point at which it has transitioned from liquid to solid. as long as its liquid it can flow freely through out the chamber of the mould. so the point at which it becomes solid is the upper bound for what i need to calculate.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
L5Society

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 10:35:47 PM

http://iweb.tntech.edu/murdock/books/bookv3.pdf

#7 under worked examples verifies that you're using the equations right
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 10:39:53 PM

http://iweb.tntech.edu/murdock/books/bookv3.pdf

#7 under worked examples verifies that you're using the equations right

awesome! i can never make heads or tales of fancy math stuff like that. it looks like french to me. i just have to work through the logic in my head Cheesy

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
jkoil

Activity: 832
Merit: 524

Nxt NEM

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 10:49:34 PM

BUT I don't think solid to liquid volume change can be calculated using a constant - so your 5% may be wrong because you have a 'state change'

yes, the coefficients are not constant, they depend on the temperature and the pressure
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 10:54:31 PM

BUT I don't think solid to liquid volume change can be calculated using a constant - so your 5% may be wrong because you have a 'state change'

yes, the coefficients are not constant, they depend on the temperature and the pressure

ok well that's really going to go out of my league. can any of you smart guys tell me how much the volume would change when cooling from 1234K to 300K?

Sebastien256

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 10:59:57 PM

ok well that's really going to go out of my league. can any of you smart guys tell me how much the volume would change when cooling from 1234K to 300K?

do you plan to cast silver yourself? That is pretty complicated.

Nxt official forum at: https://nxtforum.org/
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 11:01:52 PM

yes i do and yes i know. what we are talking about right now is just part of the complications Cheesy

jkoil

Nxt NEM

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 11:03:02 PM

Maybe chanc3r's solid/liquid numbers are the most useful (depending on your accuracy requirements)...
 until someone finds the nonlinear coefficients for silver Smiley

density of solid silver at room temperature = 10.49gcm^-3
density of liquid silver at melting point= 9.320gcm^-3

perhaps this is a simpler - the ratio of the densities will give you a volume change between liquid silver and room temperature solid silver.
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 11:07:35 PM

Maybe chanc3r's solid/liquid numbers are the most useful (depending on your accuracy requirements)...

perhaps this is a simpler - the ratio of the densities will give you a volume change between liquid silver and room temperature solid silver.

good point. the mean between those values would be a good estimation.

Sebastien256

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 11:08:06 PM

yes i do and yes i know. what we are talking about right now is just part of the complications Cheesy

I assume that you cast at 1 atm, so the process is roughtly at constant pressure.

For a good approximation, I believe you need to use integral formula with alpha(T)  function of temperature. I don<T know, but some table might exist in the litterature at constant pressure (1 atm). If you have this curve, I dont believe the phase change will do anything because it effect will already be in the curve alpha(T).

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 11:09:18 PM

I assume that you cast at 1 atm, so the process is roughtly at constant pressure.

For a good approximation, I believe you need to use integral formula with alpha(T)  function of temperature. I don<T know, but some table might exist in the litterature at constant pressure (1 atm). If you have this curve, I dont believe the phase change will do anything because it effect will already be in the curve alpha(T).

it doesn't need to be that accurate. its good practice to cast at a little over the denomination anyway.

Sebastien256

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 11:12:56 PM

it doesn't need to be that accurate. its good practice to cast at a little over the denomination anyway.

Depending on accuracy you don'T have to use integral, but only do stair approximation of the curve. and compute 100*dV/V for a certain number of dT interval. After which you sum up each 100*dV/V computed.

Fern

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 11:13:25 PM

NXT Logo and silver -the ideas are unlimited. Great project Anon.

jkoil

Nxt NEM

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 11:14:56 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2014, 12:17:09 AM by jkoil

good point. the mean between those values would be a good estimation.

if just calculating with an example, 1000 g of silver:

liquid :  V = 1000 g / 9.3 g/cm3 =  107.5268 cm3
solid:    V = 1000 g / 10.49 g/cm3 = 95.328 cm3

Volume change  X %  is broadly 11.3 %.  
 (if you need more accurate, then it needs  equation Smiley
     V1 - (V1/100*X) = V2

cc001

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 11:15:55 PM

anon: I'm pretty sure your calculation of 5.5% difference is correct, you used the formulas and values correctly.
a temperature difference of about 900 degrees is pretty severe, I think a shrinking of 5% is absolutely possible.

▀▀▀▀▀▀     BRIDGEX NETWORK  │ LEND · BORROW · CONVERT · SEND    ▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄▄▄         Whitepaper       Telegram       Twitter       Medium       Facebook       LinkedIn          ▄▄▄▄
jkoil

Nxt NEM

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 11:32:24 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2014, 12:17:47 AM by jkoil

anon: I'm pretty sure your calculation of 5.5% difference is correct, you used the formulas and values correctly.
a temperature difference of about 900 degrees is pretty severe, I think a shrinking of 5% is absolutely possible.

if there happens that liquid -> solid change, then the volume change is more (11.3 %),
according to those densities http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver

Sebastien256

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 12:05:37 AM

maybe anon can start by that and adjusting by experience. If anon cast many silver bar, then It only take a couple adjustment from experiment to make it right. I don't know. Is that what you plan anon?
Or you want to be right the first time?

You can use the newton method or the bissection method to adjust rapidly your experimental guess each time given the results of your previous casting.  

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 12:19:33 AM

maybe anon can start by that and adjusting by experience. If anon cast many silver bar, then It only take a couple adjustment from experiment to make it right. I don't know. Is that what you plan anon?

You can use the newton method or the bissection method to adjust rapidly your experimental guess each time given the results of your previous casting.  

yes its going to involve experimentation. that's inevitable. as complicated as this all sounds one has to consider additionally that the mould its self will be expanding and contracting with the heat. i hope my customers will be patient with me if my earlier bars come in at under 10 troy ounces. i will of course re-pour them for free when i get it perfect at some point in the future.

Sebastien256

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 12:20:54 AM

yes its going to involve experimentation. that's inevitable. as complicated as this all sounds one has to consider additionally that the mould its self will be expanding and contracting with the heat. i hope my customers will be patient with me if my earlier bars come in at under 10 troy ounces. i will of course re-pour them for free when i get it perfect at some point in the future.

Do you have some experience in casting? or some people around you know that science? Casting at 1200-1300K is very dangerous.

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 12:41:58 AM

Do you have some experience in casting? or some people around you know that science? Casting at 1200-1300K is very dangerous.

no i dont not have any experience. of course that can be said for everyone who does at some point in their life. i am working with newliberty.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: