Bitcoin Forum
October 21, 2017, 09:10:27 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.0.1  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: .  (Read 21809 times)
taesup

Activity: 99

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 09:56:27 AM

therymos doesn't get forum software designed, matthewmwright holds a press conference claiming fraud, everyone gets out the pitchforks. therymos gets forum software designed, everyone claims fraud, gets out the pitchforks.

are you guys able to design a quantum version of the forum software where they both design and don't design the forum software?  that should allow both groups to be happy.

We tried. It caused a rip in the fabric of space/time. Luckily the Doctor just happened to be around. (Sorry, bad Doctor who joke.)

I am a Epochtalk (New Forum Software) Developer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
surfer43

Activity: 420

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 10:00:35 AM

therymos doesn't get forum software designed, matthewmwright holds a press conference claiming fraud, everyone gets out the pitchforks. therymos gets forum software designed, everyone claims fraud, gets out the pitchforks.

are you guys able to design a quantum version of the forum software where they both design and don't design the forum software?  that should allow both groups to be happy.

We tried. It caused a rip in the fabric of space/time. Luckily the Doctor just happened to be around. (Sorry, bad Doctor who joke.)
smh I thought you had a NDA with your prior clients  Roll Eyes

d-wave hired you didn't they
Wangbus
Staff

Activity: 96

Principal at Slickage

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 10:01:24 AM

Sorry about my unprofessional name. Everyone seems to get a kick out of it so I stuck with it. Transparency right?
taesup

Activity: 99

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 10:08:49 AM

smh I thought you had a NDA with your prior clients  Roll Eyes

d-wave hired you didn't they

¯\(°_o)/¯

I am a Epochtalk (New Forum Software) Developer.
e4xit

Activity: 299

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 11:04:39 AM

So thermos has appointed wangbus to code the new forums  Undecided

I have to say (and I'm sorry wangbus if you are really you on here) that I like others am not instilled with confidence by:
  • your name
  • your github page
  • your 'company' page
  • your "'NDA'-bound resume"

Basically, you have nothing to show for yourself, which is slightly, strange...

Anyway, that being said good luck with it all. Will the project be developed on github openly from the start?

If you don't have the private key for "your" bitcoins then you have no bitcoins.
There are a million bits in a bitcoin: 1 ฿ = 1,000,000 ƀ
Wangbus
Staff

Principal at Slickage

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 11:34:22 AM

Extremely sorry for the lack of exposure but you guys can add me on LinkedIn or talk to me directly if you would like to see my resume. The project will be developed in open source but will not be accepting contributions until we're ready.

Your concern is understandable and I'd like to be as transparent as possible with development.

EDIT: LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/wangbus
malevolent
can into space
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 1834

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 12:15:01 PM

@Wangbus, teasup

Was theymos able to see any of your NDA'd code/portfolio?
augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 01:01:07 PM

Design work has started on the forum, but the first delivery to this community is an auction system for the ad spaces app that will integrate with the current forum. We'll be revealing that in the upcoming weeks.

Roll Eyes

This shows that Michael could care less for the community. His priority is not to protect or to improve the forum. He wants to increase the profit generated by advertisements before anything else. A better auction system would allow him to have more free time to do his best for the community, which is do almost nothing.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966

Keep it real

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 01:20:52 PM

@Wangbus, teasup

Was theymos able to see any of you NDA'd code/portfolio?

+1

Please link us to anything you can, I don't think there's been any sort of portfolio work posted.
augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 01:34:50 PM

We are doing the community a favor by building this and also for the open source community because a forum of this sort isn't exactly high priority on the "hipster" Silicon Valley list of important things to do.

No, you are not doing any favour for this community. You are being alleged paid with funds collected from donators/VIP forum members. We are not in need of favour around here, we are in need of security, quality control and internal organization. We are the ones doing you a favour.

btcmad1337

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 02:26:52 PM

Thats not what happened at all. We want forum software, we all do, but we're not happy with the way things are being handled.

A while ago Theymos offered 5500BTC to make the forum software and had people from the community contact him:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50617.0

Hundreds of people contacted him, some people with extensive portfolio's and some people that were well-known and trusted by the community. After reviewing hundreds of people Theymos decided that he wasn't happy with having anyone other than himself make the forum software.

I can understand that because if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself and unlike Bitcoin where you can just send money to an exchange and get BTC, there isn't an exchange that you can send money to and get good forum software.

Theymos is still in college etc so he didn't have any time to make the software himself. So after a year or so of stalling he decided to hand over $350k as part of a million dollar contract to a software development company that is unknown to the community without telling anyone - not even other bitcointalk.org staff.

Unlike the previous offers this particular software development company does not have any public portfolio or even a company website. They also refuse to show us any previous work at all claiming ALL of it is NDA - we have yet to see a single line of code that was written by them. I am not sure if you realize this, Slickage Studios, but that money was donated by the community over the past number of years so all these people who are asking questions are the ones who are paying the bills, not Theymos - in fact I don't think he paid a penny of his own money.

Theymos hired this company without even telling us and this was the wrong thing to do, he should have posted here beforehand letting us know his intention to hire them and had us grill the company seeing as we were the ones paying for it.

In addition to this it is many people's opinion that the cost is excessive. You can argue that x cost x to make or x got so much in IPO money but lets not forget that the Satoshi Bitcoin client cost $0 to make and has spawned an industry worth a Billion dollars.

In the end of the day Slickage Studios were not the only bidders for this project and many more established dev companies were willing to make it for less (5500BTC was $150,000 at the original time of offer). In addition to this Slickage Studio's are not Twitter, Facebook or VBulletin and they cannot justify their costs by quoting their expenses. Also most of the people here would not like a startup working on this project but rather an established company with verifiable history and a track-record.

This is what has happened. This is why people are mad. Anybody would agree we have a right to be mad and highly suspicious of this entire thing.
btcmad1337

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 04:37:45 PM

I've done some background checking. I don't have much on Wangbus yet but I do have some stuff for Ed (taesup).

Resume:
https://sites.google.com/site/taesup63/EdwardKimResume.pdf

Blogs:
https://sites.google.com/site/taesup63 - has some previous projects
http://taesup.com/blog
http://taesup.blogspot.ru/

Social:
https://twitter.com/taesup

github:
http://github.com/taesup
Wangbus
Staff

Principal at Slickage

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 06:33:42 PM

@Wangbus, teasup

Was theymos able to see any of your NDA'd code/portfolio?

Yes and we talked about the technical pieces regarding this implementation for a while now. We were approached and connected via other parties so I wasn't aware of the other thread on this forum. Like I said, we'll do our best and everything will be open source for public eyes to see. I am a community leader and there is a lot of information about me on the Internet if you want to dig. I actually don't update my public resume anymore, but please add me on LinkedIn if you guys would like more information. I've been focusing solely on my company.
KFR

Activity: 560

Per ardua ad luna

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 06:49:57 PM

When they hear things like "doing you a favor" and "Twitter isn't profitable and it cost millions", are people supposed to be encouraged?

If anyone thinks a million dollars is in any way appropriate - or frankly even $350k - for a custom forum build then I've got a bridge or two I'd like to sell them.

They're trying to buy all the coins. 
We must not let them.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Java, PHP, HTML/CSS Programmer for Hire!

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 06:51:13 PM

When they hear things like "doing you a favor" and "Twitter isn't profitable and it cost millions", are people supposed to be encouraged?

If anyone thinks a million dollars is in any way appropriate - or frankly even $350k - for a forum build then I've got a bridge or two I'd like to sell them.

Well $1 million dollars is appropriate when it isn't your money, when people donate, then you do whatever you want according to theymos Wink

Want to earn 2500 SATOSHIS per hour? Come Chat and Chill in https://goseemybits.com/lobby
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 07:55:30 PM

A typical programmer costs around the price of about 80k a year (that's low for Silicon Valley too). Which comes out to about 37 an hour. All companies need to pay for benefits, overhead, rent, electricity, etc on TOP of paying out a employee. So normally you would charge a rate around 2 to 3 times the salary of a employee. That's already around 114 an hour, or 240k a year. And there's already more than one employee working on the bitcoin forums... so yea.
This could be a long-term business agreement, why drive these people away before they even have a chance to release a working prototype? The current agreement is provisional, the amount paid should cover a few months' work. Then people will actually have something to modify, fork, and perfect.

How many pages did the original bounty thread have to continue before theymos realized it was futile, professional endeavors need professional networks. I worry about the expertise that's been squandered here in the past from vitriol and mob psychology.

Thank you shil, but you are really the only person here that can't talk because you didn't track the right people, so yeah your opinions don't count. Let business people, that are living in the real world.

$1 million dollars for a forum, is insane! Any custom software, that is not enterprise level that cost more than $150K is insane! I am a freelancer I know the price. Also they already admitted that this is not going to be a full time project, they have other projects. That for sure doesn't warrant the $1 million price tag.

For $350K I rather not see the prototype. $350K for a little bit of work which they will turn over to the open source community give me a break, to do thru bug hunting and adding to it. Come on this is $150K max for the whole thing. Theymos get your head out of the sand this donation money now listen to the community we don't want this!!!!!

Want to earn 2500 SATOSHIS per hour? Come Chat and Chill in https://goseemybits.com/lobby
Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 08:00:03 PM

I'm pretty dissapointed that some of the money will go for an automated ad auction system, that will only work on a dying forum software, and will need to be ported to the new custom one after that. Is that really necessary?

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
Wangbus
Staff

Principal at Slickage

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 08:10:47 PM

Auction system is a detail. The forum is the main project.

On top of that, the ads generate revenue for the site so that's very important.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 08:16:47 PM

Okay I get it, Gweedo the Freelancer's best connection is Giuseppe the App Developer, that's fine let's move on.

LMAO a lot of people care. Just cause you really have no say, or idea doesn't mean no one else care.

Also thanks for being stereotypical against my nationality, only people that have nothing to contribute to this discussion attack off-topic features about people.

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 08:18:56 PM

I'm pretty dissapointed that some of the money will go for an automated ad auction system, that will only work on a dying forum software, and will need to be ported to the new custom one after that. Is that really necessary?

+1 I know we are scraping this forum, yet lets put some money into it before we get rid of it.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.