Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:09:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many people have received random .00000001 transactions to their wallets?  (Read 14160 times)
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:20:12 PM

As advertising, this is pretty annoying and quite intrusive.

As an address-linking scheme, it's almost hilariously incompetent. It appears that primarily cold wallets have been targeted. Which suggests that most people who get these satoshis won't even notice they were sent before the transactions get dropped. Even if any of the transactions confirm, going after wallets (and change addresses) which might not be accessed for months or years, if ever, doesn't exactly seem like an ideal way to go about this.

As an attack, spreading FUD and jamming some wallets... well, seems like it's actually had some effectiveness in that regard. Temporarily, at least.

Tongue

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 09:21:18 PM
Last edit: February 17, 2014, 09:42:55 PM by Raize

This sort of anonymous donating has happened since 2010. Theymos even mentioned it as a problem back then. The developers have done various things over the years to try to fix these, but they never truly seem to go away.

The difference today is that these are now more than just annoying and, rather, malicious in nature since they are capable of publicly identifying owners of coin.
rmines

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 09:24:28 PM

Luckily did not receive any so far.

♔ PrimeDice : The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
Spare some change? 1LkqfvQTLAEiiCwTqkPRcvUdEmkCR11QDE
grifferz

Activity: 154

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 10:20:58 PM

The difference today is that these are now more than just annoying and, rather, malicious in nature since they are capable of publicly identifying owners of coin.

How will it allow identification, when the transactions never confirm?
arcbit

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 10:50:48 PM

I got one of these unconfirmed transactions also, but the strange thing is that the receiving address is not even an address that my qt wallet has in the address book.  How could this transaction even associate to my wallet with an address I don't have?
grifferz

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 11:01:07 PM

I got one of these unconfirmed transactions also, but the strange thing is that the receiving address is not even an address that my qt wallet has in the address book.  How could this transaction even associate to my wallet with an address I don't have?

Please, please, please read some of the existing threads on this before asking a new question.

The blockchain is public. Every address you have ever used to make a transaction is public. Anyone can find addresses that have ever been used. If I send a Satoshi to every address in the blockchain, you'll get an unconfirmed Satoshi from me, yet I do not know it is you.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 11:07:15 PM

0.00000001BTC
I did not recieve any of those and I am happy Smiley

because if I will not read any news I would not know about any problems with bitcoin Cheesy
just a price drop a bit...

Cheesy
arcbit

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 11:38:07 PM

Please, please, please read some of the existing threads on this before asking a new question.

The blockchain is public. Every address you have ever used to make a transaction is public. Anyone can find addresses that have ever been used. If I send a Satoshi to every address in the blockchain, you'll get an unconfirmed Satoshi from me, yet I do not know it is you.

I am trying to understand your answer.  The disconnect I still have is that the receiving address of the unconfirmed tran, is not even one in my wallet.  My wallet has address a, b, c, d in it, for example.  The unconfirmed tran is trying to send to address x.  I don't use address x, and never have.  Why is it even in my transactions list??
joae1975

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 12:32:54 AM

So how do you even send 1 satishi without a fee?  None of my wallets will let me.

1PewuG8KZJUPK3CtvAkAs1Uw42rQgUv5Jk
grifferz

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 12:42:43 AM

So how do you even send 1 satishi without a fee?  None of my wallets will let me.
Bitcoin has a published protocol which it is possible to write clients for, and make them do things which are possible but not advisable—such as sending 1 satoshi with no tx fee.
dyask

Activity: 854
Merit: 510

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 01:56:45 AM
Last edit: February 18, 2014, 07:15:02 AM by dyask

So how do you even send 1 satishi without a fee?  None of my wallets will let me.
Bitcoin has a published protocol which it is possible to write clients for, and make them do things which are possible but not advisable—such as sending 1 satoshi with no tx fee.

Seems like that protocol should be changed to not allow sending anything less than what a transaction fee would be.   If you are going to spam you should pay the miners.  
grifferz

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 02:22:55 AM

That is already the case. The only change needed is in clients, to have them not display an available balance that isn't spendable (because of zero confirmations)
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 09:38:33 AM

Many of these 1-satoshi tx do eventually confirm, don't they?  They wiggle in eventually via the <100K "free" section most miners still allow?
Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 09:48:56 AM

So is someone seriously trying to dust every used address?

Or atleast good part of them...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:03:36 AM

Well I got dusted but the satoshi sent is in perpetual limbo and its only been 2 days should be gone soon enough Smiley

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
salstimda

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:07:11 AM

i always laugh at people calling cryptocurrencies anonymous. its so hilarious. in fact fiat is actually infinitely more anonymous than any crypto that will ever be invented.
troy112

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:43:05 AM

I received 2 in my wallets and they just stand pending for long time and do nothing.
troy112

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:44:52 AM

I don't even want it. Because they will increase the fees when next time i'll be sending. Is there any way you could cancel the incoming transaction?
I think nobody thought of putting it, because every one likes money coming it..huh?
grifferz

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 03:20:19 PM

They will not increase your fees because they will never be spendable.
LavaWave

Activity: 686

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 03:28:33 PM

When I click on the transaction and then check it on blockchain, it basically tells me that the transaction cannot be found. I have around 8 of these so-called transactions in my wallet currently.

░░  ░░░     ░░░▒▒░░░░
          ░▓▓▓░░▓▓▓▒░░░░    ░░▒░░░░
      ░▒▓▓░▒▓▓░░▓▓▓▒░▓▓▓▓▒     ░░▓▒░
     ░░░▒▒      ░░░ ░▒▓▓▓░░░▒▓▒  ░░▒░░
    ░▓▓░  ░░░░░       ░░ ░▒▓▓▓▓▓ ░▓▓▒░ 
    ░░░ ░░░░░░░          ░░▓▓▓▓▓ ░▒▒░░ 
   ░▒▓░  ░░░░░░            ░░░░░ ▒▓▓▒░
    ░▒▒░   ░░                   ▒░░░░
     ░░░ ░░░░░░              ░░▓▓▓▒░
        ░░░░░░░           ░▒▒▒░░▒░░
          ░░░░      ░░░░ ░▒▓▓▓▓░
          ░░░░░░  ░░▓▓▓▓▒░░▒▓▒░░
           ░░░░░  ░▒▓▓▓▓▓░
            ░░░░░░  ░▒▓▒░░  ░░░
             ░░░░░░░      ░░░
               ░░░░░░░░░░░░░
                   ░░  ░░
  COSS.IO
Crypto One Stop Solution
▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚

▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚

▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚

▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚
..⧉ Multi-Wallet  ⧉ Exchange   ⧉ Merchant Platform
       COSS Token - An ERC20 based Token - revenue generating cryptocurrency     
▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚

▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚

▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚

▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚
..  ICO Details   
Whitepaper         ANN
▞⧯▚