Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:01:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 is NOT the year of bitcoin, sorry  (Read 19575 times)
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 05:09:19 PM

I'll bet you exactly 1 BTC that by the end of this year, the price will have seen $1200, Bitstamp.

You can update the wager to your liking.

Nah... I like to keep my word when I make bets and I don't want to lose 1 BTC... like I said $1200 is likely to happen. I think we're gonna be in a boring $600-800 range until July or August.. and then our next rally will take us a little over $2000, correcting back to the $1200 range. Which is not bad, but I don't consider it "the year of btc" after the excitement of last year

Wow, I'd love to see $2000!   Shocked

I'm just glad we're not at zero after the first 3 months of nothing but bad news.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:12:58 PM

I'm just glad we're not at zero after the first 3 months of nothing but bad news.

At this point I would too.... there's a good chance that might not happen til 2015 though

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
BitcoinBobbeh

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:27:10 PM

At this point I would too.... there's a good chance that might not happen til 2015 though

I'M CALLING IT EARLY

2015 - THE YEAR OF BITCOIN

By the end of next month at the latest we will have permanently left behind 3 digits. You can quote me on this.
RobFordWotWot

Activity: 280

time

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 06:49:27 PM

I'M CALLING IT EARLY

2015 - THE YEAR OF BITCOIN
I'm calling it, all my sources have confirmed. 2264 is the year of the discombobulator.

/thread

Horses in midstream.
R2Pleasent

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

Owner@ CryptoFundingTracker.com

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 07:18:07 PM

We're not halfway through the third month of 2014.  So far this year, we've basically dealt with:

- Perceived ban on BTC in China: Have you forgotten about this?  Coming into 2014, many people were under the impression that Bitcoin was completely banned in China, and exchanges still operating were awaiting shutdown.  China accounts for well over 50% of global Bitcoin volume.  The reality is that there does not seem to be a ban on Bitcoin.  However, the China "ban" is what ended the massive run up to $1200. 

The government banned all companies in China from listing products in BTC.  Before the ban, China Telecom had just begun accepting BTC (world's largest mobile provider), and other companies were signing up.  BTC was about to take over the domestic currency.

- BitInstant Founder Charged

Charlie Shrem's arrest is a big deal.  It shows that there are extremely high risks when operating a Bitcoin business.  Transferring money around, if not done to the satisfaction of the government, can + will land you in jail.  It's one thing taking a risk on capital starting a business, it's another taking a risk on your freedom.  Talented developers who may have been lured into the Bitcoin world now have much less incentive.

- Mt. Gox -> Empty Gox

No need to explain this.  The world's #1 Bitcoin Exchange from 2011 - mid 2013 (and still high volume right up until feb 2014) is bankrupt.  Shows that there are many risks in Bitcoin which cannot be solved by Bitcoin itself.

Pretty grim year so far.  And yet, here we are.  Bitcoin is $600+.  If you look at BTC average price per day this month, it still ranks above every month in 2013 aside from December.  What more do you expect could go wrong in 2014?  China seems to be stable, Mt. Gox was a disaster waiting to happen, and has now happened.  US regulators seem to be looking at ways to make Bitcoin work, no one aside from that one Senator has mentioned anything about a ban.

The only things that could really put a big dent in the BTC market for 2014 at this point:

- Another major exchange is insolvent or gets hacked (unlikely -- some people have mentioned BTC-e being the biggest risk now -- Their biggest risk is the government at this point.  They are likely swimming in money, but may be quite high up on the US target list.  They remind me a bit of Liberty Reserve.  These guys should stay away from the United States)

- China / USA / Eurozone bans Bitcoin completely.  USA / Eurozone is extremely low possibility.  China is always a risk, but they're quite stable at the moment.  Watch out if prices spike wildly, that's when the government likes to come in and cool things down.

- Flaw in Bitcoin source code (Highly unlikely)

- Proof emerges that NSA created Bitcoin (yikes, unlikely though)

I'd say those are the big things that could cause another massive drop in BTC price.  If none of these events happen, and the odds are they won't happen in the near-future (3-6 months), then I don't see how BTC price could do anything but rise.  Bitcoin is all over the news these days.  People may not completely understand it yet, but it has had huge exposure from all the interesting events this year. 

Buying Bitcoins is now extremely easy in most places.  People in Canada/Europe/parts of Asia can use Bitcoin ATM's, people in the US can use Coinbase, people in the UK can go to Zipzap and buy some in person.  Compare this to early 2013.  Back then, the only reasonable way for the average person to buy BTC was to send a wire to Gox.  Ease of access is growing daily.

Retailer adoption is growing due to the amazing service provided by Bitpay / Coinbase.  It really is easy to accept BTC for most businesses.  Overstock's success must be inspiring other companies to adopt.

Don't sleep on 2014!  We have a long way to go this year.  The speed bumps likely arrived early.  This is a technology with a ton of upside and applications which haven't even been realized yet.  Security needs to be improved for the average user, and developers know that.  There's smart people working on these issues.  They're certainly attainable.

Target price: $2,500 all-time high at some point in 2014, December 2014 ends with a price of ~$1,750

Owner & Co-Founder @ CryptoFundingTracker.com
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 08:03:07 PM

actually, I think 2014 could be THE year of bitcoin (note; that is not the bitcoin price/value)
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 08:15:24 PM

actually, I think 2014 could be THE year of bitcoin (note; that is not the bitcoin price/value)

You too? Everyone wants to get rich with bitcoin in 2014. But I'm affraid we can only have 400-800. Which is great for the freakin speculators who harmed bitcoin to it's core (glad that some lost with Gox though).

Anyway, we need no exchanges! Bitcoin in the street!

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 09:09:06 PM

You too? Everyone wants to get rich with bitcoin in 2014. But I'm affraid we can only have 400-800. Which is great for the freakin speculators who harmed bitcoin to it's core (glad that some lost with Gox though).

Anyway, we need no exchanges! Bitcoin in the street!

Oooh Smiley "Anyway, we need no exchanges! Bitcoin in the street!" it makes my body thrill (in this good way:P )

It would be wonderful Smiley but this will come perhaps next decade.
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 09:24:12 PM

Let's see, all the above troubles that R2 described and we are still sitting pretty at 600+ USD, more than double the price a year ago.  In fact, has there EVER been a period when the price of bitcoin was less than it was a year ago?  I think not.  We still have plenty of time for 2014 to be the year of Bitcoin.
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 09:33:40 PM

I think there is a lot of reasons to be very bullish on Bitcoin : lots of bad news didn't make the price plunges, it regain a lot of its losses recently (pumping?), everyday people adopt Bitcoin and probably not a lot stop using it
A huge economic storm is going to hit the States and Europe, the USD will plunge and Europe is likely to monetize its debt as well so a lot of investors will seek refuge in Bitcoin, Gold ect.

chessnut
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 09:40:16 PM

we hit the bottom at 400. the following wave has never taken more than 6 months to take of to new ATH's and the moon. we will see $1000 BTC and $10000 BTC in the same year - this year.

roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 09:43:38 PM

we hit the bottom at 400. the following wave has never taken more than 6 months to take of to new ATH's and the moon. we will see $1000 BTC and $10000 BTC in the same year - this year.

Many of us would be happy if this became the truth :-)
BitcoinBobbeh

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 09:52:29 PM

Would YOU like to make a bet?

I'll betcha my entire stash that Bitcoin stays below $10,000 Bitstamp for the rest of 2014.

By the end of next month at the latest we will have permanently left behind 3 digits. You can quote me on this.
chessnut
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:02:12 PM

I'll betcha my entire stash that Bitcoin stays below $10,000 Bitstamp for the rest of 2014.

hmm no Ill pass thanks, cos 10,000 is actually a very strong resistance. what about 7k? id make a small bet. but it would hurt you more than me to fork over bitcoin at that price!

Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:06:22 PM

http://bitbet.us/bet/635/1btc-10-000-usd/

I did in fact make that bet. I know that one or two other regs here did as well.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
BitcoinBobbeh

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:26:46 PM

hmm no Ill pass thanks, cos 10,000 is actually a very strong resistance. what about 7k? id make a small bet. but it would hurt you more than me to fork over bitcoin at that price!

Okay - I'll bet you 0.5 BTC that the price stays below $7,000 (Bitstamp) until 2015.

*VIRTUAL HANDSHAKE* if you accept.  Tongue

Dafar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330

dafar consulting

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:40:25 PM

Everyone's expectations after 2013 were just way too high. This is the year of FUD! Mark my words, we're gonna be riding a shit storm all the way through the end of 2014.

This is the year that's gonna test your will and shake off the weak hands. This year will weed off the people who jumped into bitcoin thinking they will earn a quick buck, those who thought bitcoin's price just goes up every year like it's a pattern set in stone. I'm sure a lot of them jumped off by now thanks for mt. cox (btw-- the price is $635 right now... imo a good buy even if we go down further). The ones who remain will be the ones who believe in bitcoin for the longterm.

Let's be honest here... 2013 was the year of bitcoin. 2014 not so much... I think 2015 might be the next "year of bitcoin" ...Wrinklevoss ETF and Wallstreet might trigger the next rally, and that won't happen this year.

Did you expect everyone to safely ride the train to 10k? No. Only the ones who take the risk and hold on might enjoy the ride to $10K.. and even that is not a surefire bet anymore.

Looks like I was right yet again, as usual... all the haters who gave me shit for saying 2014 was not going to be a good year for BTC, what do you say now?

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
Raystonn

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:42:04 PM

We say you have a short year on your planet.

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

Come original.

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:43:44 PM

Hate to say it but looks like you have been right so far, but everything could change. If we got one big merchant involved like ebay or amazon I'm sure the price would go back up as fast as it came down.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:44:54 PM

Everyone's expectations after 2013 were just way too high. This is the year of FUD! Mark my words, we're gonna be riding a shit storm all the way through the end of 2014.

This is the year that's gonna test your will and shake off the weak hands. This year will weed off the people who jumped into bitcoin thinking they will earn a quick buck, those who thought bitcoin's price just goes up every year like it's a pattern set in stone. I'm sure a lot of them jumped off by now thanks for mt. cox (btw-- the price is $635 right now... imo a good buy even if we go down further). The ones who remain will be the ones who believe in bitcoin for the longterm.

Let's be honest here... 2013 was the year of bitcoin. 2014 not so much... I think 2015 might be the next "year of bitcoin" ...Wrinklevoss ETF and Wallstreet might trigger the next rally, and that won't happen this year.

Did you expect everyone to safely ride the train to 10k? No. Only the ones who take the risk and hold on might enjoy the ride to $10K.. and even that is not a surefire bet anymore.

Looks like I was right yet again, as usual... all the haters who gave me shit for saying 2014 was not going to be a good year for BTC, what do you say now?

+1/2 (only because 2014 is not over yet, you'll get the other 1/2 if we don't break the ATH)

But in general, I approve this gloating.  Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: