Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:46:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: OccupyLA on 10/1 !! We will be there in Bitcoin Attire! Financial Revolution!  (Read 7980 times)
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 11:31:19 PM

Do y'all know the lyrics to any of the 1960s civil rights protest songs?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 12:01:47 AM

I will personally drive it and drop it off to the occupation

Remember not to park your car exactly where the occupation is. It's just asking for trouble.
WiseOldOwl (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 12:08:54 AM

I will personally drive it and drop it off to the occupation

Remember not to park your car exactly where the occupation is. It's just asking for trouble.

Dually Noted*
We are leaving soon, next updates will be from phone.
Also, hopefully some youtube uploads
captainteemo

Activity: 143
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 03:31:29 AM

Best part is it looks like we might be able to run BitcoinBux Xchange (Until the 3rd at least for legal reasons) from the occupation through a internet tethering on my 4g phone Smiley Not entirely sure if we are going to do the exchange part of this or not, but we could.

Are you a 501c3 nonprofit? If you are, and are within 2-3 miles of Wilshire Blvd we can shoot you a 100/1000Mbps point to point link for free. Breakdown and setup take about a day each.
WiseOldOwl (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 05:11:04 AM

Ok,
I got a private meeting with the financial committee tonight at the GA, and we discussed taking bitcoin as donations.
They are running a background check on me, and then it looks like I will be heading the bitcoin donations dept. Smiley
The best part is, it is highly encouraged to buy actual products for the occupiers, so this should allow for the use of bitcoins as donations and should spike the economy because some people will buy products for the protesters with bitcoins!!

We will post some videos of tonight's discussions soon on youtube.

Please, if you are coming out, post here and let everyone know. We will need bitcoiners to explain the benefits of competing currencies and the added benefits of crypto currencies and decentralization.
WiseOldOwl (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 05:12:41 AM

Best part is it looks like we might be able to run BitcoinBux Xchange (Until the 3rd at least for legal reasons) from the occupation through a internet tethering on my 4g phone Smiley Not entirely sure if we are going to do the exchange part of this or not, but we could.

Are you a 501c3 nonprofit? If you are, and are within 2-3 miles of Wilshire Blvd we can shoot you a 100/1000Mbps point to point link for free. Breakdown and setup take about a day each.
I will speak with the organizers about their 501c3 nonprofit status,
I don't know what exactly the service your offering is, but if it gets us internet outside that would be awesome:) Thank you so much for wanting to help out, hopefully we can make this happen
Litt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 01:27:13 PM

Ok,
I got a private meeting with the financial committee tonight at the GA, and we discussed taking bitcoin as donations.
They are running a background check on me, and then it looks like I will be heading the bitcoin donations dept. Smiley
The best part is, it is highly encouraged to buy actual products for the occupiers, so this should allow for the use of bitcoins as donations and should spike the economy because some people will buy products for the protesters with bitcoins!!

Please, if you are coming out, post here and let everyone know. We will need bitcoiners to explain the benefits of competing currencies and the added benefits of crypto currencies and decentralization.

This is awesome news WiseOldOwl. It's gonna be a exciting start for #occupyla and I am going to be there as well at Pershing Square today.

I share the sentiment that this opportunity isn't just for accepting donations via bitcoin, but also for the local nearby merchants and members of the assembly who wish to show support can also accept bitcoin payments. This way the GA organizers at all #occupy locations can simply accept donations all over the world and spend them directly for their needs. If this bitcoin economy starts to form within the organizations working in solidarity all over the world, it's exactly the spark we need to light up the idea that is bitcoin. Doing this and completely leaving the centralized financial institutions out from handling the finances of the #occupy movement is surely going to be a wise choice down the road imo.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 02:27:01 PM

I just checked the "donate" link on that site.
It looks like they only accept the good old Paypal  Huh

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
WiseOldOwl (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 02:30:48 PM

I just checked the "donate" link on that site.
It looks like they only accept the good old Paypal  Huh
Yes, They aren't really to sure how to go about doing this. I spoke with the finance committee last night and so hopefully we can help them with all the financial info we have learned by being in the bitcoin business. They are young and in my opinion dont fully understand all the implications of the movement.
I hate Paypal, but they are smart enough to liquidate the account everyday at least. We will get them setup Smiley
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 03:09:54 PM

Ok,

If you are planning on continuing into next week, on Tuesday I can ship out all kinds of stickers and a few shirts if you pay the postage.  Unfortunately priority mail takes a few days. Express mail could get it there fast enough.  The QR code sticker is one of the better items and I could give you 100 of them.  The QR sticker leads to bitcoin.org and has no advertising for me on it.  Look at my website to see it.

WiseOldOwl (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 03:27:59 PM

Ok,

If you are planning on continuing into next week, on Tuesday I can ship out all kinds of stickers and a few shirts if you pay the postage.  Unfortunately priority mail takes a few days. Express mail could get it there fast enough.  The QR code sticker is one of the better items and I could give you 100 of them.  The QR sticker leads to bitcoin.org and has no advertising for me on it.  Look at my website to see it.
Sounds Great!!
I am pretty sure it will be there until next week + some.
I am kinda working my way up in organizing the event Smiley
We are securing a UPS address for deliveries of actual goods.
Bitcoin will be accepted officially within about 24 hours, then we can really get this party started.

WiseOldOwl (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 03:30:41 PM

We need solid, informational fliers directly customized for this event. They need to explain competing currencies and then crypto currencies as two steps in the right direction. People have open minds and a lot of emotion, they are hurt by what business has done to the average person, they dont know the answer or even where to look at all though.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 05:33:15 PM

Hmm.  Slogans for Occupy <X> protests.

How about these?

"I'm pissed at my dad, but he isn't here, so I'm going to antagonize some cops instead!"

"I have $100,000 in student loans for my sociology degree, and I don't want to accept responsibility for my poor decisions!"

"It isn't fair that other people became successful while I was wasting my life!"

I dislike our current monetary system as much as the next guy (actually, more than most, I'd say), but these protests aren't about that, and even if they were, they wouldn't accomplish anything anyway.  If you can create a few new bitcoin enthusiasts, great.  Or if you can pick up a naive coed by showing her that you care about "the issues", that's fine too.  But don't fool yourself into thinking that these events are anything but group displays of social posturing.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 06:04:27 PM

How about these?

"I'm pissed at my dad, but he isn't here, so I'm going to antagonize some cops instead!"

"I have $100,000 in student loans for my sociology degree, and I don't want to accept responsibility for my poor decisions!"

"It isn't fair that other people became successful while I was wasting my life!"

I dislike our current monetary system as much as the next guy (actually, more than most, I'd say), but these protests aren't about that, and even if they were, they wouldn't accomplish anything anyway.  If you can create a few new bitcoin enthusiasts, great.  Or if you can pick up a naive coed by showing her that you care about "the issues", that's fine too.  But don't fool yourself into thinking that these events are anything but group displays of social posturing.

'group displays of social posturing' have probably a better track record of effecting change than shifting bits around.  But more and more the two are working in conjunction with one another which I see as a welcome thing.  Do you really know enough of the participants of the Occupy-x protests to belittle the entire group?  I don't, and I don't have a easy access to the mainstream media to help me understand these people.  One of these days I'll go find out for myself.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
FAtlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 07:18:53 PM

How about these?

You have the worldview of a small child.

Well, that or a member of the College Republicans club, but it's kind of hard to tell the two apart.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 07:22:05 PM

We need solid, informational fliers directly customized for this event. They need to explain competing currencies and then crypto currencies as two steps in the right direction. People have open minds and a lot of emotion, they are hurt by what business has done to the average person, they dont know the answer or even where to look at all though.

I have created a flyer and here it is:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B1UsG65HCLkuZTVmMTVlZjMtYjgwMC00YWQzLThlNjEtZWYyOGIyOTRiMTFk&hl=en

I have also added this to my blog on the right hand side at http://www.bitcoinblogger.com
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 07:52:56 PM

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B1UsG65HCLkuZTVmMTVlZjMtYjgwMC00YWQzLThlNjEtZWYyOGIyOTRiMTFk&hl=en

I have also added this to my blog on the right hand side at http://www.bitcoinblogger.com

I think that's a good start.  I also think that the fliers ought to be targeted more directly at the intended audience.  Off the top of my head, something like this might be more attention grabbing in this context:

It's Time For Change - Broaden Your Peaceful Protest Of The Corrupt Banking System By Supporting A Distributed Digital Medium Of Exchange.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 08:02:57 PM

The flyer looks pretty good in my opinion.

I wish it made some mention of open source as I feel that this property lends great credibility to the project.

One of the reasons I am cautiously optimistic about the Bitcoin system is that it has by now been analysed to some level of detail by some competent scientists and engineers, and (amazingly) no glaring showstoppers seem to have jumped out.  At least not any that I am aware of.

If somehow the concept that the Bitcoin system is open source and has had a not insignificant amount of scrutiny by many diverse parties, I think that would be a good addition and worth trying to shoe-horn in.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 08:23:08 PM

The flyer looks pretty good in my opinion.

I wish it made some mention of open source as I feel that this property lends great credibility to the project.

One of the reasons I am cautiously optimistic about the Bitcoin system is that it has by now been analysed to some level of detail by some competent scientists and engineers, and (amazingly) no glaring showstoppers seem to have jumped out.  At least not any that I am aware of.

If somehow the concept that the Bitcoin system is open source and has had a not insignificant amount of scrutiny by many diverse parties, I think that would be a good addition and worth trying to shoe-horn in.

I've added a line in the "Decentralized" section to mention "open source".
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 08:25:54 PM

Yes, They aren't really to sure how to go about doing this.

Please don't advise them to mess with clients and block chains and all that stuff. For newbs, recommend an ewallet - like instawallet or BTCinch. With a BTCinch account you automatically make a "donate" button, edit the code or graphic, and stick on the website.

The desktop client is a Bitcoin 102 lesson, not a Bitcoin 101 lesson.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: