Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:54:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Environmentalism  (Read 6653 times)
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 12:17:30 PM

Water is just fast-moving land.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FirstAscent (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 04:47:47 PM

Hint: they live in the oceans which no-one owns.

Part of the problem.

Share your solution for the ocean - not someone's backyard. I'm not in the mood to point out the extreme differences.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 04:55:40 PM

Part of the problem.

Share your solution for the ocean - not someone's backyard. I'm not in the mood to point out the extreme differences.

You are wasting your time.  This is a guy who doesn't know what a whale is and you propose educating him as to marine conservation.  Even if you devote your life to it, he won't understand.
FirstAscent (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 07:35:43 PM

Part of the problem.

You are wasting your time.  This is a guy who doesn't know what a whale is and you propose educating him as to marine conservation.  Even if you devote your life to it, he won't understand.

Whales and dogs and and a pair of pliers. They're all the same to these guys.
NghtRppr

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 07:45:19 PM

Part of the problem.

Congratulations on recognizing that whales, dogs and a pair of pliers are indeed different objects. What does that have to do with ownership? Do you really think those kind of "whales are not pliers, herp derp" arguments get you anywhere?
FirstAscent (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 07:49:25 PM

Part of the problem.

Congratulations on recognizing that whales, dogs and a pair of pliers are indeed different objects. What does that have to do with ownership? Do you really think those kind of "whales are not pliers, herp derp" arguments get you anywhere?

As long as you can't raise the discussion past the necessity of acknowledging such obvious facts, how can we get beyond that into more intelligent discussion? Believe me, I'd rather move on.
NghtRppr

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 07:49:58 PM

Part of the problem.

As long as you can't raise the discussion past the necessity of acknowledging such obvious facts, how can we get beyond that into more intelligent discussion? Believe me, I'd rather move on.

Then stop making straw man arguments as if we don't know the difference between whales and dogs...
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 07:53:34 PM

Then stop making straw man arguments as if we don't know the difference between whales and dogs...

Elwar thought that you can have a whale in your back yard and compared it to a chicken. 
FirstAscent (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 07:54:01 PM

Part of the problem.

If you acknowledge that whales and dogs are different, then you must acknowledge that a dog in a backyard does not suffice as an example of how to address property rights with regard to whales.
NghtRppr

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 07:55:55 PM

Part of the problem.

If you acknowledge that whales and dogs are different, then you must acknowledge that a dog in a backyard does not suffice as an example of how to address property rights with regard to whales.

Cat and dogs are different too. Are you saying that a dog in my backyard does not suffice as an example of how to address property rights with regard to cats?
FirstAscent (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 07:59:47 PM

Cat and dogs are different too. Are you saying that a dog in my backyard does not suffice as an example of how to address property rights with regard to cats?

I thought we agreed to move on to more intelligent discussion.
NghtRppr

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 08:01:04 PM

In other words, you've got nothing.
FirstAscent (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 08:03:28 PM

I've got nothing with regard to what? Domesticated cats?
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 08:05:37 PM

You are not making an intelligent point.  The discussion was about preventing extinction of whales.  Elwar thought a whale was a domesticated animal that lives in someone's back yard like a dog or a chicken.  

Since most whales are not owned and live in oceans which are also not owned, property rights to cats are not really relevant.
NghtRppr

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 08:09:57 PM

Elwar thought a whale was a domesticated animal that lives in someone's back yard like a dog or a chicken.

No, he didn't. You're being intellectually dishonest by claiming that, unless you really think it, in which case, wow...
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 08:13:01 PM

Elwar thought a whale was a domesticated animal that lives in someone's back yard like a dog or a chicken.

No, he didn't. You're being intellectually dishonest by claiming that, unless you really think it, in which case, wow...

Now, tell me, how would your system deal with the near decimation of the blue whale population that occurred in the mid twentieth century?

What would happen if someone came into your back yard and killed your dog? Would you have legal ramifications?

What if someone came into your waterway and killed one of your whales?

Seems pretty clear to me that he had no idea that whales are wild and that they live in the sea. 
NghtRppr

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 08:19:37 PM

Now, tell me, how would your system deal with the near decimation of the blue whale population that occurred in the mid twentieth century?

What would happen if someone came into your back yard and killed your dog? Would you have legal ramifications?

What if someone came into your waterway and killed one of your whales?

Seems pretty clear to me that he had no idea that whales are wild and that they live in the sea. 

It's quite pathetic when you question the intelligence of someone and you don't even know what a waterway is...

A waterway is any navigable body of water. Waterways can include rivers, lakes, seas, oceans, and canals.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterway

Are you trying to tell me that whales don't live in the ocean now? You're the one that's confused, not Elwar. I'm not surprised since you seem to make a habit of it.
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 08:22:19 PM

I have never heard waterway used to describe an ocean : http://www.thefreedictionary.com/waterway  You live and learn.

I have never heard of anyone owning an ocean.  The rest of his posts are nonsensical so I suspect that he hasn't either.

So I think my interpretation is the correct one.
NghtRppr

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 08:24:02 PM

I have never heard waterway used to describe an ocean : http://www.thefreedictionary.com/waterway

I have never heard of anyone owning an ocean. 

Fail.

From your own link:

Noun   1.   waterwaywaterway - a navigable body of water           
body of water, water - the part of the earth's surface covered with water (such as a river or lake or ocean); "they invaded our territorial waters"; "they were sitting by the water's edge"
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 08:26:37 PM

I have never heard waterway used to describe an ocean : http://www.thefreedictionary.com/waterway

I have never heard of anyone owning an ocean. 

Fail.

From your own link:

Noun   1.   waterwaywaterway - a navigable body of water           
body of water, water - the part of the earth's surface covered with water (such as a river or lake or ocean); "they invaded our territorial waters"; "they were sitting by the water's edge"

The fact that there is an interpretation of waterway I never heard of does not makes elwar's post about whales any the less nonsensical.  By and large, whales do not live in waterways that are owned by individuals.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: