Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:28:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Paypal Strikes Again, This is an Opportunity for BTC to Prove its Value  (Read 5679 times)
dvaic (OP)
Donator

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 01:01:18 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2014, 08:10:30 PM by bmshan

Paypal Strikes Again, This is an Opportunity for BTC to Prove its Value

Being involved is not the same as being committed. It's like bacon and eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 04:34:24 PM

Excellent.  Donation sent.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 04:52:04 PM

Nice.  I donated.  Anything to get some positive press for bitcoin.
klaus
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 05:02:02 PM

great thing. similar to the happenings with wikileaks pp->btc donations 9 month ago.

bitmessage:BM-2D9c1oAbkVo96zDhTZ2jV6RXzQ9VG3A6f1​
threema:HXUAMT96
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 05:04:45 PM

I never would have donated if they were using Paypal, etc! Donation sent.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Red

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 05:08:08 PM

Alright, support the #feedtheprotest cause, but don't bang this particular PayPal drum too loudly.

The guy admitted he had a paypal billing issue 8 years ago where he claimed not to be responsible for some charges. PayPal investigated, found no fraud, but he never followed up with them. He simply cancelled his PayPal account.

After a lengthy conversation with a customer service representative, I got to the root of the problem.  Over eight years ago I had a personal Paypal account with an attached debit card.  When unknown charges appeared on my statement, I canceled the card and reported it stolen.   I filled paperwork and a police report with Paypal.  Since launching FeedTheProtest.com, Paypal has determined that these eight-year-old charges, were, in fact, not fraudulent, and that I would be personally responsible for them if I wished to "enjoy the convenience of on-line processing…"

Now he's claiming this is a wikileaks situation. PayPal annoys me as much as the next guy, but make sure you investigate the horse's health before you hitch your wagon to it.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 05:20:45 PM

Alright, support the #feedtheprotest cause, but don't bang this particular PayPal drum too loudly.

The guy admitted he had a paypal billing issue 8 years ago where he claimed not to be responsible for some charges. PayPal investigated, found no fraud, but he never followed up with them. He simply cancelled his PayPal account.

After a lengthy conversation with a customer service representative, I got to the root of the problem.  Over eight years ago I had a personal Paypal account with an attached debit card.  When unknown charges appeared on my statement, I canceled the card and reported it stolen.   I filled paperwork and a police report with Paypal.  Since launching FeedTheProtest.com, Paypal has determined that these eight-year-old charges, were, in fact, not fraudulent, and that I would be personally responsible for them if I wished to "enjoy the convenience of on-line processing…"

Now he's claiming this is a wikileaks situation. PayPal annoys me as much as the next guy, but make sure you investigate the horse's health before you hitch your wagon to it.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else but my dislike for Paypal and unwillingness to donate thru corporate channels has absolutly ZERO to do with feeling compelled due to FTP's Paypal situation!

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 05:21:33 PM

If anything I think it shows the excessive power of entities like PayPal.

You claim he closed the account and never followed up with Paypal but I don't see that mentioned.

He reported credit card stolen and filed Police report (granted not verified) and 8 years later Paypal determined (based on what) that he must pay or never use their service again?  No appeals process, no independent 3rd party.

I don't know but most people don't report credit cards stolen and file Police reports over "billing issues".

Maybe he is full of shit.... that isn't the point.  The point is he could be telling the truth and an entity like Paypal holds all the cards.  If they decide fraud didn't happen (when it did) you lose. If they decide fraud happened (when it didn't) you lose.  
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 05:24:46 PM

I've had similar experiences with PayPal.  I'm inclined to believe his version of events.  Evidence simply doesn't pop up eight years later of guilt, Occum's Razor suggests that PayPal has decided that it doesn't like what this guy is doing, and wishes to distance themselves from his activities without it looking like another Wikileaks debaucle.  That certainly has cost PayPal much international business.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 05:45:29 PM

up to a total of nearly BTC 100 donated in 1 week, I like how everyone can automaticaly see all of these donations too if they wish - an added bonus that prior forms of donating to things didn't have & that may appeal to other fund raisers - it's a bit like seeing the graphic of a thermometer that fills up to the target/s if set, like say 1,000 Btc to fix the church roof, 10,000 Btc to build a school house, etc

http://blockexplorer.com/address/1EUqkFmL9HNpBRvbWRAqCiUjepaR7Vbryp

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
Red

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 05:54:54 PM

I've had similar experiences with PayPal.  I'm inclined to believe his version of events.  Evidence simply doesn't pop up eight years later of guilt, Occum's Razor suggests that PayPal has decided that it doesn't like what this guy is doing, and wishes to distance themselves from his activities without it looking like another Wikileaks debaucle.  That certainly has cost PayPal much international business.

Now personally, I think PayPal are a bunch of weenies. I'm personally offended by what they did to wikileaks. I make some regular credit card payments though PayPal at the merchant's request. But I refuse to "validate" my PayPal account by giving them my personal bank account information. That just seems stupid to me. Expecially given their history. They don't need to "validate" me. The credit card company confirms my identity by processing my payments. They are disingenuous weenies for even asking.

But anyone who has ever bought a house knows, the lender always find something stupid and annoying in your financial history. You write letters explaining issues, you pay off anything insignificant that might hold off your process. Or you don't.

But if you don't, you aren't awarded free liberty to associate your misfortune with black helicopters. Just saying.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 05:58:57 PM

When I get home tonight I'll fire up the client and send some BTC.  Keep the faith brothers! Cheesy

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 06:56:25 PM

you could link the bitcoin banner on your main page to http://weusecoins.org   at the moment it does not link anywhere...
lettucebee

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 09:00:57 AM

I sent some. Occupy Wall Street. Occupy everywhere.

▄██████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▄
█████▀              ▀█████
▄████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▀████▄
▀█████▄    ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
▀█████▄    ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
█▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█████████▀  ▄█
██▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█████▀  ▄██
███▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█▀  ▄███
▀███▄  ▀█████▄     ▄███▀
▀████▄  ▀████▀  ▄████▀
█████▄  ▀▀  ▄█████
▀█████▄  ▄█████▀
▀█████  █████▀
▀████████▀
██████
▀██▀
E R N
               ▄▄█████████▄▄
           ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
        ▄███████▀▀       ▀▀███████▄
       █████▀▀               ▀▀█████
     ▄████▀    ▄▄█████████▄▄    ▀████▄
    ████▀   ▄█████████████████▄   ▀████
   ████    █████████████████████    ████
 █████    ███████  ▀█████████████    █████
█████    █████████    ▀███████████    █████
████    ▄██████████▄     ▀████████▄    ████
████    █████████████       ███████    ████
████    ▀██████████▀     ▄████████▀    ████
█████    █████████    ▄███████████    █████
 █████    ███████  ▄█████████████    █████
           █████████████████████
            ▀█████████████████▀
               ▀▀█████████▀▀
████
████

████
████

████
████

████
████
TOKEN SALE
AIRDROP
                              ████
                              ████

████
          ████            ████  ████

████  ████  ████  ████  ████

████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
  ▬▬   GET IN TOUCH   ▬▬ 
TELEGRAM  FACEBOOK  TWITTER
YOUTUBE   INSTAGRAM
Litt

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 12:42:52 PM

up to a total of nearly BTC 100 donated in 1 week, I like how everyone can automaticaly see all of these donations too if they wish - an added bonus that prior forms of donating to things didn't have & that may appeal to other fund raisers - it's a bit like seeing the graphic of a thermometer that fills up to the target/s if set, like say 1,000 Btc to fix the church roof, 10,000 Btc to build a school house, etc

http://blockexplorer.com/address/1EUqkFmL9HNpBRvbWRAqCiUjepaR7Vbryp

This transparency in accounting is one of the qualities I love about bitcoin. I hope if the world accepts bitcoin one day, that all coorporate spending will be as transparent for all because the laws will require them to use a public address. That way we can keep them accountable. This goes the same with Gov't as well I suppose. The people need to be involved somewhere in this failing check and balance system that exists today.
Amit@bitcoin-central.net

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 02:49:38 PM

+1

Paypal has also seen a decline in usage in India due to strict regulations.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 04:00:49 PM

Bitcoin sent!  Smiley

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Sannyasi

Activity: 454

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 04:11:34 PM

The thread linked below keeps track of the donations and the donation collector has 900+.... no offense intended, this forum just has too many scammers to take chances. Great links btw!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=45943.msg558034#msg558034

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
lettucebee

Activity: 462

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 04:17:46 PM

I simply LOATHE paypal. It's another CIA/NSA front to track each and every one of us, part of the surveillance state and the monopoly money masters.

▄██████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▄
█████▀              ▀█████
▄████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▀████▄
▀█████▄    ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
▀█████▄    ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
█▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█████████▀  ▄█
██▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█████▀  ▄██
███▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█▀  ▄███
▀███▄  ▀█████▄     ▄███▀
▀████▄  ▀████▀  ▄████▀
█████▄  ▀▀  ▄█████
▀█████▄  ▄█████▀
▀█████  █████▀
▀████████▀
██████
▀██▀
E R N
               ▄▄█████████▄▄
           ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
        ▄███████▀▀       ▀▀███████▄
       █████▀▀               ▀▀█████
     ▄████▀    ▄▄█████████▄▄    ▀████▄
    ████▀   ▄█████████████████▄   ▀████
   ████    █████████████████████    ████
 █████    ███████  ▀█████████████    █████
█████    █████████    ▀███████████    █████
████    ▄██████████▄     ▀████████▄    ████
████    █████████████       ███████    ████
████    ▀██████████▀     ▄████████▀    ████
█████    █████████    ▄███████████    █████
 █████    ███████  ▄█████████████    █████
           █████████████████████
            ▀█████████████████▀
               ▀▀█████████▀▀
████
████

████
████

████
████

████
████
TOKEN SALE
AIRDROP
                              ████
                              ████

████

████  ████  ████  ████  ████

▬▬   GET IN TOUCH   ▬▬ 
TELEGRAM  FACEBOOK  TWITTER
YOUTUBE   INSTAGRAM
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 04:54:11 PM

I simply LOATHE paypal. It's another CIA/NSA front to track each and every one of us, part of the surveillance state and the monopoly money masters.

Yeah that... or it's just a large successful company trying to earn revenue and mitigate losses.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: