Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:25:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mappers vs Packers. Why Most People Don't Get Bitcoin  (Read 11060 times)
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 12:19:51 AM
Last edit: December 08, 2011, 12:33:48 AM by Vandroiy

Still there might be variations in the ways of thinking. Mappers/packers sure is far from perfect but it is an interesting start.

There are plenty of problems that can be solved more efficiently the packer way.

I never claimed something different. In fact, what I tried to explain in my post is that all of us think "packer" way virtually all of the time. The "Mapping" is only setup, training, learning. The symptomatic difference between "Mappers" and "Packers" is not so much how their brain runs when they make decisions, but how they learn.

I'm just saying that this is an important difference. The "Mappers vs Packers" model sounds as if "Mappers" would match their knowledge to a situation in a totally different way from "Packers". I don't believe that is correct; on the contrary, I think the difference during that phase is only very subtle.

The real difference is how they re-organize their thoughts and beliefs when they have time to think or are asleep.

Edit: Okay, I've been persuaded that the terminology might be useful despite the things I pointed out. There is a clear barrier from with a person starts consciously applying "Mapper" technique and therefore can learn with increasing efficiency. This creates an instability, which might cause people to fall into two distinct groups.

This instability might also explain the huge gap in logical capabilities between scientists and the average population. I know it by a different name, "the scientific method", I'm fine with using "Mapper thinking" as a synonym though.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 03:48:39 AM

Vandroiy, I like your thinking on this. But some people are more open to context switching, devil's advocate, and persuasion in real time (like children and brilliantly creative scientists), while the majority of adults are set in their ways and become more stuck as they age.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 07:12:24 AM

Many people don't get PC,
But they get iPad.
 Grin
What can i say? Keep on working.

amencon

Activity: 410
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 05:45:32 PM

INTP
56   75   50   11

I don't put much stock in this stuff but their career identifier did nail it, not that surprising though I suppose.
dgray9000

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 05:18:47 PM

Just took this test scored

E: 11%
S:1%
T:38%
P:11%

but I have also taken another personality test (Meyers-Briggs I think) and I got I/ENTJ (took it twice and got different results) I happen to consider myself a mapper the way it describes thinking is almost exactly the way I describe the way I perceive the world, kinda weird really.
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 06:02:49 PM

Why most people don't get bitcoin is because bitcoin is presented mostly as a new kind of money (which it is).

Money is a complex topic loaded with lots of cultural bias: this kind of terrain is often hostile for innovations.

If bitcoin is presented as a new internet technology for transaction processing (which it is also), acceptance is facilitated.
Obvious benefits can be outlined in comparison to legacy banking systems a la PayPal.

Only then, when the merits of the technology and network are understood and field tested, can we hope to win people over a new currency system.

The euro was successfully introduced in Europe in this manner: it circulated first (between 1999 and 2002) as a meta-currency in parallel with national currencies. Only in 2002 when people felt it was proven, the euro became a full fledged currency with retail prices expressed in euro.

I know this sounds ironic today with the current circumstances prevailing in Europe.

glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 01:10:23 AM

I  50%
N 56%
t  25%
P 11%
the description is not so far from me but intj fit as well... but i prefer to be in the p group regarding to the famous ppl ahah
the proportion of N here is intresting but loads of factors (independant of bitcoin itself) can explain it.
Bitcoin is not widespread and just a few very lucky educated tech-enthusiast ppl had the chance to hear about it. This "universitarian" population is already very oriented in their profile for exemple

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 01:25:10 AM

while the majority of adults are set in their ways and become more stuck as they age.

[citation needed]

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: