Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:12:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you keep your coins physically secure?  (Read 1393 times)
bigblackdeck45

Activity: 266
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 22, 2018, 04:36:14 AM

I know hard wallets are the safest means of storing your bitcoins but since I can't or I don't have any access to those I am using online wallets instead. I know some of you will say that it is not safe to store your coins in online wallets but I haven't have any issues with those at all and I have been using it for quite some time now. Although I am planning to buy myself some hard wallet soon.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinPanther

Activity: 1918
Merit: 564

View Profile
August 22, 2018, 04:39:47 AM

We're all aware of the risks of keeping our coins on online wallets and exchange wallets, but many of us still keep our coins on our own devices.

Are we keeping our devices secure? Its instinctual to not leave your fiat money wallet unattended in a public place but what about your bitcoin wallet? Are you leaving leaving the laptop you're writing your novel on the table at Starbucks when you go the bathroom? The laptop with your electrum wallet, your life savings.

Where does the line between paranoia and reasonable physical security meet?

It's never a paranoia to care extremely for something we deem very valuable.  And as much as our bitcoin wallets are far from being pick pocketed, you are right that we should exercise strong caution not to lose it.

And as a practice, i keep copies of my wallet-related information not only on my device but also on the cloud where i make sure i have 2-Factor Authentication and the file to be password protected. I'm not really good with keeping printed documents and all (and afraid too that i will lose them or someone i know might be tempted to steal it from me should they see the document laying around), thus, i don't keep it physically secured. I have the habit of losing small items too so using a pen drive was never an option for me either.

And as much as i don't practice it, keeping those information physically secure is always advisable.
amobi

Activity: 98
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 08:26:50 PM

this is so true, leaving your laptop where any body can get access to it when you are not around doesn't guarantee safety of crypto savings, but one can still curb this by setting a strong password on the laptop
IndoUSminus

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 08:45:57 PM

This is funny to ask a question like that in this community because everyone should be aware of security issues inherent in crypto. However, I was really surprised to learn that some of the people engaged in crypto world leave their coins online...
Me? Never will I leave my coins anywhere but in my cold wallet with key phrases being kept off-site in several trusted locations.
Cold wallet: Ledger Nano S, if you are interested.
phelbaby

Activity: 434
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 09:17:45 PM

am acturally not storing in a hardware wallet but am not neglecting the use of 2FA with this i think am ok with it ,still have no more idea about the hardware.
daffa68

Activity: 84

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 10:06:42 PM

Yes, I do I always keeps my coins carefully and I always increase my coins in order to become more.
delegend

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 10:52:46 PM

Basically I think for me in this aspect hardware  wallet seems to be more safer ,private keys are often stored in a protected area of a microcontroller, and cannot be transferred out of the device in plaintext.
peterpeterpeter

Activity: 167

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 11:18:37 PM

I think majority of here are also using their devices to secure their coins because this is the easiest way.
Eventhough this is very risky and prone to the hackers to hack your account.
Just need to take care and avoiding malicious sites to open for our own security.
Oggy Pogi

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 11:23:39 PM

We're all aware of the risks of keeping our coins on online wallets and exchange wallets, but many of us still keep our coins on our own devices.

Are we keeping our devices secure? Its instinctual to not leave your fiat money wallet unattended in a public place but what about your bitcoin wallet? Are you leaving leaving the laptop you're writing your novel on the table at Starbucks when you go the bathroom? The laptop with your electrum wallet, your life savings.

That is why you as a holder and owner of your own crypto wallet must be responsible enough to take good care of your account to avoid intruders to access your account without notice because in the industry we are currently up now, many will be trying to stole whatever you have in your virtual wallet so the security of you account already relies on you so to be able to secure your own, be knowledgeable and responsible enough with your actions to take good care of your account.

Hanazawa

Activity: 181
Merit: 4

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 11:29:54 PM

For my own side as a newer in crypto and haven't yet coin, I will store my money on secured wallets (application, hardware wallet) to keep safe. But I plan to keep a half of my money in bank because eventhough we are in cryptocurrency world I didn't except that virtual is a safetiest way to keep money. That's why I think practically to store online and to store it physically on bank. I think this ideas is not good to others but for me it is my (life hack) practical decision.

► HackenAI ◄ (http://url=https://hacken.ai/) ♦ HackenAI - Personal Cybersecurity Application ♦ ► H (http://url=https://hacken.ai/)
bling-bling

Activity: 364

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2018, 11:49:23 PM

I don't get the physical part coz Bitcoin is digital and has no physical traits. But as for keeping it secured, well, I do make necessary precautionary measures in order to keep my coins safe. Hackers or scammers will do anything in order to steal our coins. It is up to us to counter them with security measures so to prevent them from doing what they do.

gesdan

Activity: 616

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 01:19:15 AM

for me store my private key and password is never in the physical form, all my private key is in the data form, but i spread it into another platform, like in my laptop, harddrive external, cloud, my phone and anything else, and if anything happen with my laptop i have the backup to make sure my private key is safe

adadaorlina

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 03:15:44 AM

Well keeping your cryptocurrencies on a hardware wallet is one of the best ways of saving your coins. Storing bitcoin is one of the most important aspects to consider when you decide to invest. Hackers nowadays can do whatever they want that's why need to be aware of everything. Just be careful with your private keys by keeping them in a safe and secure place by so doing your funds will be perfectly saved.
Lumberjackpj

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 09:17:23 PM

I know some people who don't believe in cold wallets saying cold wallets are a scam. They have kept their coins in online wallets safely for quite a while, which only makes them believe they're right.
Despite that, I don't think that practice is 100% safe. Ledger Nano S helps me in that regard.
Stay safe!
Haliburton

Activity: 502
Merit: 118

Liberated Forever. Domesticated Never.

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 10:16:30 PM

It's never a paranoia to care extremely for something we deem very valuable.  And as much as our bitcoin wallets are far from being pick pocketed, you are right that we should exercise strong caution not to lose it.

And as a practice, i keep copies of my wallet-related information not only on my device but also on the cloud where i make sure i have 2-Factor Authentication and the file to be password protected. I'm not really good with keeping printed documents and all (and afraid too that i will lose them or someone i know might be tempted to steal it from me should they see the document laying around), thus, i don't keep it physically secured. I have the habit of losing small items too so using a pen drive was never an option for me either.

And as much as i don't practice it, keeping those information physically secure is always advisable.

I think that it's best to be paranoid for the sake of our cryptocurrency funds, rather than being careless and become an easy target for hackers. These people are doing everything they can to steal your money in ways you've never thought possible. If you manage to maintain an updated computer and store your cryptocurrency funds in an offline-generated wallet or a hardware wallet like Trezor, then your coins will be physically secure for quite a long time.

For online accounts, it's nearly an obligation to use 2FA these days, because hackers easily penetrate them with the purpose of stealing user's funds. If you plan to trade in an online exchange, then avoid leaving your coins in them for greater safety. In my case, I would simply use decentralized exchanges over centralized ones for all my trades, use a hardware wallet for all my transactions, and never disclose my crypto funds. For greater privacy, I exchange my Bitcoin to Monero or ZCash, to prevent any hacker or unknown person from knowing how much money I have.

Therefore, by doing these practices, you could stay safe against hacks as it'll be nearly impossible to get access to your hard-earned money in crypto. Wink

iMark

Activity: 1162
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 01:56:03 AM

I think everyone of us here wants our coins being secured because nobody wants to loss it. Me,personally to make sure that my coins is secured i store it on different wallet and also use 2fa authenticator. We can't avoid hackers so be wise also to avoid lossing your coins. Also keep always the private key and password safe that nobody can stole it or copy it.
Of course everyone wants their assets to be save. but not all users can or will increase their efforts to secure their money. such as
dividing their funds in many places or wallets and adding them with 2fa, it will obviously be safe but not everyone uses them
MasterHam2

Activity: 20

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 10:15:38 AM

Sure. A cold wallet (Ledger), 2FA, and other stuff, is a must, you know. I'm  not going to list all of the common steps and ways of protection because they are all available in this forum and on Google.
I know how risky it is to leave it in an online wallet or exchange, so I definitely choose to keep coins off-line in a physically secure place.
evilsign

Activity: 280
Merit: 60

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 10:33:34 AM

even though we keep the coin on a personal device, we should still give it extra security. Even if you also keep password records in one device that is the same as your digital assets, of course, I hope you are not that stupid by giving detailed passwords in one note. The best security is deception and also a layered padlock. That's what I think.
Jericka D Ranillo

Activity: 252
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2018, 11:04:50 AM

Is it okey to use laptops where your wallet inside on it. Just make sure to have copy of important details in some gadget which never bring outsidr at the house. Online wallet is secure like myetherwallet, everything is on our care and resposibility. What ever happen is to be blame for the owner not the creator

cosmicart

Activity: 378
Merit: 3

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 11:07:38 AM

My coins are very secured in all way round, there's no way I can let my wallet be hacked. As a matter of fact, I'm even considering getting another hardware wallet.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: